The 2010 Formula One Season

What source do you guys have to get the news in Formula 1?

I use the following:

- British magazine Autosport

- Website www.formula1.com which I also use during the race on TV to monitor the lap times and gaps (live timing)

- German magazine Auto Motor und Sport

- US magazine Race Car Engineering

- and of course TV (Starsport) for the qualifying and race

but it's difficult the be up-to-date here in Bangkok.

I am sure you have seen the results of the 2nd free practice in Barcelona by now (Saturday morning BKK time), otherwise check out www.formula1.com/livetiming

Try Pitpass.com they are quite good as well and send out a weekly newsletter. :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

anyone have thoughts on this weekends race?

The Red Bulls seem to have the pace so far in yesterdays practice session. It will be interesting to see what improvements the updates on the cars will make.

The Red Bulls seem to have the pace so far in yesterdays practice session. It will be interesting to see what improvements the updates on the cars will make.

Yeah i think the Red Bulls will be the ones to beat.

Anyone else find it slightly amusing how desperate parts of the media seem to be to in hailing Schumi's return to form. Two practice sessions of out-performing his team mate and suddenly the corner has been turned. A bit premature i would say myself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanlegard/...orm-in-spa.html

Anyone else find it slightly amusing how desperate parts of the media seem to be to in hailing Schumi's return to form. Two practice sessions of out-performing his team mate and suddenly the corner has been turned. A bit premature i would say myself.

I think there's a possibility of rain over the weekend, or at least showers which could upset the lower results but I think Sebastion is one of the best wet weather drivers out there and I don't really think that the Red Bull cars are that unreliable either, for a start the race where a spark plug failed is not really that relevant to the reliability to the car overall as that could have happened to any team.

I really do hope Jenson performs well and if it does rain then with his smooth driving style along with Alonso then we may see a good result for them. :)

I think there's a possibility of rain over the weekend, or at least showers which could upset the lower results but I think Sebastion is one of the best wet weather drivers out there and I don't really think that the Red Bull cars are that unreliable either, for a start the race where a spark plug failed is not really that relevant to the reliability to the car overall as that could have happened to any team.

I really do hope Jenson performs well and if it does rain then with his smooth driving style along with Alonso then we may see a good result for them. :)

Are you able to watch this one David?

Are you able to watch this one David?

unfortunately no, rixalex but will be dvd for me to view later, actually I have to confess to not having seen a single race this season but the more interesting F1s are about to start so will have to find somewhere local to view. :D

unfortunately no, rixalex but will be dvd for me to view later, actually I have to confess to not having seen a single race this season but the more interesting F1s are about to start so will have to find somewhere local to view. :)

Sorry to hear that mate. With the exception of the first one, we've had some great races this season so far. You've missed a lot.

unfortunately no, rixalex but will be dvd for me to view later, actually I have to confess to not having seen a single race this season but the more interesting F1s are about to start so will have to find somewhere local to view. :)

Sorry to hear that mate. With the exception of the first one, we've had some great races this season so far. You've missed a lot.

agree theres been some amazing racing so far

I will try to get over to see the Monaco race as thats my favourite, primarily for the terrific atmosphere and maybe The British race. :D

F1 cars are very different now than when Schumacher was on top, the car he is using this weekend is more to his driving style, so we will see over this weekend and next.

As Eddie Jordan was saying yesterday during Practice 2, F1 moves on every car is different you cannot go back, also said the same about the talk of smaller Turbo engines, servo brakes, he said F1 did that, now must move on

If it's a dry race and boring, then I think it's pointing to F1 having a problem. As rain has played a significant part in all the other races bar the 1st. I hope for a great race, hopefully a Brit win, along with Leeds Utd winning. :D

If it's a dry race and boring, then I think it's pointing to F1 having a problem. As rain has played a significant part in all the other races bar the 1st. I hope for a great race, hopefully a Brit win, along with Leeds Utd winning. :D

suppose if its Mclaren it would be ok, after all it was Kiwi in the beginning

but hope Red Bull do it

I am going to stick my neck out and say that if it's raining then I will predict Vettel, Alonso, and Jenson but not necessarily in that order, dry race then I think it will be Sebastion, Lewis and Jenson in that order :) anyone else want to stick their neck out :D

Well Mark and Sebastian really are light years ahead of everyone else. I only hope that someone makes a successful move on them at the start otherwise it could be a boring race - unless of course there is rain.

Speaking of which... this season what has made things interesting has been not only the rain, but the topsy turvey qualifying, that has seen front runners start near the back. What i would like to see thought about is the scapping of qualifying and instead on Saturday having a shoot-out for fastest lap, with the top three getting extra points - say 5 for fastest, 3 for 2nd and 1 for 3rd. Then, on race day the cars line up in the reverse order as to how they finished the last race. Final change i would consider making would be a bonus of 5 points for who can set fastest lap during the race.

Pretty radical stuff i know that is unlikely to be considered, let alone implemented, but i think it could make things a lot more interesting.

I also note one of those corners might as well not be there. They were clipping it so much that the right side tyres were only just on the tarmac. Anyone notice the mandatory Slaterism at the back end of round 2? Webber had just pipped Vettel.

"What ever Vettel can do, Vettel can do faster." :)

Well Mark and Sebastian really are light years ahead of everyone else. I only hope that someone makes a successful move on them at the start otherwise it could be a boring race - unless of course there is rain.

Speaking of which... this season what has made things interesting has been not only the rain, but the topsy turvey qualifying, that has seen front runners start near the back. What i would like to see thought about is the scapping of qualifying and instead on Saturday having a shoot-out for fastest lap, with the top three getting extra points - say 5 for fastest, 3 for 2nd and 1 for 3rd. Then, on race day the cars line up in the reverse order as to how they finished the last race. Final change i would consider making would be a bonus of 5 points for who can set fastest lap during the race.

Pretty radical stuff i know that is unlikely to be considered, let alone implemented, but i think it could make things a lot more interesting.

Personally I would like to see rain as it appears to make more opportunities for overtaking and for me makes the race more interesting. Qualifying has always been a bit of a hit or miss affair for the final grid positions but so far this season no one on pole has actually won the race, maybe today will be different but I cannot see Mark holding off his team mate or Lewis.

rixalex, with Bernie talking about more races on the calender then in theory you could end up with a WDC never having won a race, just having fastest laps but still finishing lower down in the points, to negate this you might want to consider removing those points achieved for the lap times if the driver fails to finish the race unless he is taken out by another driver, what about teams drawing from a hat what time of the day they can do their lap times, morning or afternoon, might spice things up a bit weather wise. :)

actually i was surprised to see Webber out qual Vettel, anyway the 2 Red Bulls might get away from the chasing pack if they get both get a clean start. I wouldnt discount Alonso either, his support will be huge.

Personally I would like to see rain as it appears to make more opportunities for overtaking and for me makes the race more interesting. Qualifying has always been a bit of a hit or miss affair for the final grid positions but so far this season no one on pole has actually won the race, maybe today will be different but I cannot see Mark holding off his team mate or Lewis.

Re the rain, short of having a chat with the man upstairs, not sure what could be done about that. Are you and he close David? :)

Joking aside, rain does spice things up a lot and i think brings another skill to the fore, my only concern is regarding the safety car, which inevitably makes an appearance when wet. How fair is it for someone to have their lead that they have steadily built up reduced to nothing? We saw this in the last race when Jenson had a massive lead trimmed to nothing, and at the end could have been taken by Lewis, were it not for his tyres.

rixalex, with Bernie talking about more races on the calender then in theory you could end up with a WDC never having won a race, just having fastest laps but still finishing lower down in the points, to negate this you might want to consider removing those points achieved for the lap times if the driver fails to finish the race unless he is taken out by another driver, what about teams drawing from a hat what time of the day they can do their lap times, morning or afternoon, might spice things up a bit weather wise. :D

As far as the possibility of having a WDC never having won a race, personally that wouldn't worry me too much as it would be the fault of the drivers who had won for not getting quick laps in on Saturday and on race day.

Re you idea of having drivers doing their lap times morning or afternoon, it's interesting but logistically might be difficult with the need to cater to TV audiences.

actually i was surprised to see Webber out qual Vettel, anyway the 2 Red Bulls might get away from the chasing pack if they get both get a clean start. I wouldnt discount Alonso either, his support will be huge.

I was surprised too - pleasantly i might add. Whether he can make it stick is another matter altogether.

Watch out for fireworks between Alonso and Lewis - they have been at it pretty much all season. I don't think either one will give way in a 50/50 situation. In fact, if i were a gambling man i might have a punt on them taking each other out.

Of course i hope Lewis comes out on top, if for no other reason than to silence the racist bigots that Spain has something of a reputation for.

Well Donnyboy, Mark out qualifying Sebastion or indeed anyone getting pole amongst the top teams I think depends to a certain extent on whether they get a really good clear track and the weather at that time, we are looking at a very close timing amongst the top teams.

I stuck my neck out with a prediction which in wet weather did include Fernando as I think he is a class act along with Jenson in the way they drive so smoothly in all conditions.

I was surprised too - pleasantly i might add. Whether he can make it stick is another matter altogether.

Watch out for fireworks between Alonso and Lewis - they have been at it pretty much all season. I don't think either one will give way in a 50/50 situation. In fact, if i were a gambling man i might have a punt on them taking each other out.

Of course i hope Lewis comes out on top, if for no other reason than to silence the racist bigots that Spain has something of a reputation for.

yeah forgot the Alonso v Hamilton thingy

Well Donnyboy, Mark out qualifying Sebastion or indeed anyone getting pole amongst the top teams I think depends to a certain extent on whether they get a really good clear track and the weather at that time, we are looking at a very close timing amongst the top teams.

I stuck my neck out with a prediction which in wet weather did include Fernando as I think he is a class act along with Jenson in the way they drive so smoothly in all conditions.

rain is expected later in the day. An old german guy in a Mercedes isnt bad in the wet either :)

Sunday Forecast: A Sting In The Tail?

The projected widespread band of wet weather on Sunday is too close to call. A deepening second area of low pressure will track north-eastwards from the Atlantic Ocean into Portugal and Spain throughout Sunday. This evening's forecast calls for a threat of showers coming into Catalonia from the west at approximately four o'clock local time - immediately following the end of the race.

The slightest detail change over the next 48 hours could either cement the forecast for a dry race, or change the whole scenario into Vettel's worst fear. We will keep a very close eye on the development of this second low pressure system between now and race morning.

link

Edited by Donnyboy

Re the rain, short of having a chat with the man upstairs, not sure what could be done about that. Are you and he close David? :)

Joking aside, rain does spice things up a lot and i think brings another skill to the fore, my only concern is regarding the safety car, which inevitably makes an appearance when wet. How fair is it for someone to have their lead that they have steadily built up reduced to nothing? We saw this in the last race when Jenson had a massive lead trimmed to nothing, and at the end could have been taken by Lewis, were it not for his tyres.

Re you idea of having drivers doing their lap times morning or afternoon, it's interesting but logistically might be difficult with the need to cater to TV audiences.

rixalex, I was in a close encounter with an attractive young woman recently when she called out "oh my god"

I did comment on a previous post about the closing up of the field after the safety car was deployed and yes that does seem to be a bit unfair.

With regards to the TV situation, at the moment one doesn't know when the teams will go out as a lot will depend on the weather, how many are on the track etc so I don't see that drawing from the hat the night before or in the morning itself would have an effect on the TV audience.

One of Mark Webber's comments on his win that it was the longest GP he had ever done.

Congratulations to Mark and his team.

But did'nt it seem to go on and on, it was that eventful I actually fell asleep watching it.....honestly.

I missed Lewis's wheel failure incident which could have been the most eventful part of the race,,,other than the start and pitlane calamities that is.

Now then, on Saturday Paula said. "Historically, the winner of the Spanish GP goes on to win the drivers championship." I missed the race, I was in bed at 6. Man I feel awful. I hope it's not malaria but the symptoms match. Hospital later.