Phone Credit Dissapearing

Ive been in Pattaya on holiday for about a week. When I first got here I went to Tukom to get my Iphone unlocked and bought a 12call sim card and topped up with 300 bhat credit. I only made a couple of short calls but the next day all my credit was gone. I bought another 300 bhat of credit and that also went in one day with only making very few calls. I thought there was something wrong with the sim card so I bought a Dtac sim card and put 100 bhat credit on it. Again only made a few short calls during the day and the next day there was no credit left.

Im begining to think that my phone has got some sort of virus that robs all my credit from me. Has any had any simiilar experiences?

This happened to me and It was because my Internet GPRS connection was active and was constantly checking for e mails etc. Disable your GPRS and any other Internet connection that may be live.

Cheers, Rick

Yes my GPRS is active. Ive turned it off. THanks for the advice Rick!

Good to hear. Just check your credit regularly to make sure all is OK.

Cheers, Rick

GPRS without a package / subscription is B1 to B2 a minute, so that will eat through your credit in a couple of hours.

It's easy, even on prepaid to get a one day/week/month unlimited package for a few Baht, for DTAC dial 1678 and ask for the GPRS package (It'll do EDGE when available) Other providers also have similar deals. Use it an you can be permanently online again without worrying about your credit.

If your using GPRS subscribe to a package, im on 12calls 100b20hr package.

If you suspect something else is draining your bahts dial *138 and follow the menu, you can deactivate anything you may have been signed up for.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Hey laughingboy, we are talking about turning off G P R S not GPS... two totally different things with only the former eating your airtime if not on a data package.

My Nexus One did the same; ate 300 baht sitting on the nightstand. Added a widget that kills the APN connection with one touch and that sorted it out.

Although the OP's problem was on his iPhone, it is not unique to Apple products so valid to post here.

I can also personally recommend a 'Hatari' card for making calls only. I paid for one, (100BHT), in January, have made numerous long calls to the UK and was surprised when called home today that I still have 32 mins remaining. Works best when calling back to a landline only though...a well worthinvestment IMO. Just a little recommendation.