Newbie Looking For Advice!

Hi,

Me and my boyfriend are hoping to go and teach English abroad. We both have a degree, I have worked in eduction since i graduated in 2005 as a mentor and an EAL Teaching Assistant. The school i was working at paid for me to attend a weekend TEFL course and do a online certificate.

Our plan is to go away for hopefully a couple of years, teaching English to finance our travels and experience different cultures. We are looking at doing a CELTA qualifcation in Thailand as we have both been there before and loved the culture/food/people/sceenery etc and it seems a good place to start our teaching experience. We are looking at doing a CELTA because as we plan on doing this for a while and hopefully travel all over the world this would hopefully provide us with the best opportunities for work and also be the best preperation for the classroom.

I have found a CELTA course in Phuket at ECC and I was just wondering......

Has anyone done a course there or worked there?

It starts in June but i know the school year starts in May, we will have missed most the job opportunities?

Has anyone else gone out to teach as a couple?

How difficult would it be for us both to get a job at the same school?

What are the accomodation prices like on Phuket?

Is it possible to save a little and live comfortably?

Any info or tips about Teaching in Thailand would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Kylie

Your timing is going to hurt you a lot.

Schools like it when couples teach, because they are less likely to leave.

I don't know accomidation prices in Phuket, but they will range greatly in price depending on where you want to live.

Phuket, expect everything to be more expensive, despite the fact you are not a tourist, everyone will treat you like one and you will get charged like one. 30-40k/month is probably the norm down there. So 60-80k/month for the two of you could fund you well. Don't expect to pay off school loans or anything though.

Even if you end up paying 10,000-15,000/month in rent you are going to be doing well. You can get scooters for 10-30k baht depending on if they are automatic etc.

I believe that despite Phuket's steep prices, you could easily save 20,000B/month. Food will probably be the biggest cost beside rent, that is until you find the real local shops and/or cook for yourselves.

Goodluck

I would suggest you improve your grammar and spelling prior to coming here to teach English.

" My boyfriend and I .. "

accommodation.

Phuket is very expensive and the salaries are usually low for new teachers. Do make sure you read the fine print before setting out.

It's funny, people LOVE to shit of people via grammar Nazism, yet I taught twice as many science and math classes than English.

Not saying you should ignore grammar in those classes, but rather realize not everyone hired is going to teach English specifically.

And as Scott said, it's the internet. Often when I type I forget to capitalize my I's and hold my shift a bit too long and end up with the first two letters capitalized, eg THailand.

Thanks for some understanding. The problem is that, with a few exceptions, posters aren't asking about grammar or spelling. Second, not everyone has access to a computer and internet at home, so some people are saddled with limited time or connectivity to post what they want to say.

Finally, some, like myself, are too lazy to proof read before posting!

Now, back to the OP's topic.

Your timing is going to hurt you a lot.

Schools like it when couples teach, because they are less likely to leave.

I don't know accomidation prices in Phuket, but they will range greatly in price depending on where you want to live.

Phuket, expect everything to be more expensive, despite the fact you are not a tourist, everyone will treat you like one and you will get charged like one. 30-40k/month is probably the norm down there. So 60-80k/month for the two of you could fund you well. Don't expect to pay off school loans or anything though.

Even if you end up paying 10,000-15,000/month in rent you are going to be doing well. You can get scooters for 10-30k baht depending on if they are automatic etc.

I believe that despite Phuket's steep prices, you could easily save 20,000B/month. Food will probably be the biggest cost beside rent, that is until you find the real local shops and/or cook for yourselves.

Goodluck

To the OP, like 'BlackArtemis' stated your timing may go against you if you are looking for employment in a Govt. or private school. You may have some luck lecturing at a University since their "contract year" differs, so a Uni may be a good start. Keep in mind that your chances for rapid employment will only increase if you do not limit yourself to one certain area. Chok dee. :)

Edited by mizzi39

• 1 month later...

If you are working at home, continue to do so and adjust your schedule (if possible) so that you will have completed your desired training and be ready to search for jobs beginning in late September though October. This is the mid-year time when a lot of schools might lose teachers and you might find jobs at this time. Otherwise, stay and make money until you plan how to be ready for next spring's hiring frenzy.

Phuket is nice but far less disposable income for sure.

Where I live there are nice beaches a 15 minute motorcycle ride away, Bangkok a 90 minute van ride away and all the traditional Thai culture you care to immerse yourself into. Not a McDonald's in sight but we do have a KFC, Swenson's, Mister Donut, Chester's, Dairy Queen and Pizza Company for western food cravings. Oh yea...did I fail to mention that a couple could probably save one person's salary (28,000 - 33,000) each month if you live a life of reasonable comfort and forgo expensive trips, expensive entertainment and mostly eat the local cuisine? IMHO, for foreign teachers, I live in one of Thailand's best kept secrets ...lol.