Excellent Customer Service At Ibis Nana

Shrubbery

I recently booked a non refundable room at the Ibis Nana for 5 nights for my wife and I.

On arrival check in went smoothly as to be expected. We happily went up to our room where we found a “Please Make up Room” card on the door. I opened the door to find the lights out, the TV on and a member of staff asleep on the unmade bed.

I immediately returned to reception to express my displeasure. I should point out that for other reasons I was not in the best of moods. Reception were somewhat shocked when I told them the problem, apologized and gave me another room.

My wife and I discussed what happened and decided that we wanted to check out and check in to the Dawin which is located next door. I admit this was an over reaction by me especially as our reservation had been paid and was non refundable.

When we arrived home I received an online survey from Accord/Ibis hotels which I completed giving very negative feedback.

Several hours later I received an email from the manager of the hotel offering his apologies. Later in the evening I received a phone call from someone in operations also offering his sincere apologies.

In addition he said that I would be refunded in full for the 5 nights that I had booked and paid for, and they would also give me a voucher for 5 nights accommodation.I have since received a refund on my credit card as well as the voucher.

I didn’t expect a refund, let alone a refund and an accommodation voucher. Sometimes it pays to complain. Though as I admit, I may have over reacted.

I take my hat off to the management at the Ibis. If they receive a complaint they act on it.

An astounding result. It just goes to show that polite complaints can sometimes bear fruit.

Thanks for assuming I complained politely.

It was a polite complaint, and as you say. It does pay to be polite.

Had my electric toothbrush stolen last week in the same hotel...

management did nothing to clear this with me..

If you receive a customer survey from them I suggest completeing it with the details of the theft.

You may at least get an apology.

I do wonder if we had only had a reservation for 1 or 2 nights whether the outcome may have been different for us.

So, has anyone else got any similar stories.

Do you think this sort of service applies to "International Chains" only or do you think a "Local" establishment would offer the same sort of service.

Edited by Shrubbery

ACCOR have a "Guestbook" programme in place where if you fill in their feedback form with comments then they (the GM or senior management like the EAM or RM) will reply to you about the action being taken or offer an explanation as to what happened.

All the ACCOR GMs I know take accusations of theft very seriously and will investigate fully even if it's a 10 baht bar of chocolate. If you had an item stolen and received short shrift then inform ACCOR in France. They'll be on it like flies on shit contacting the hotel in question to sort it out. It's their rep at stake after all.

I was in one of the Caesar business hotels in Rio last October and went to drink one of the small bottles of whiskey from the mini bar only to find it was already empty

The bottle was dark green in colour and you really couldn't tell it had nothing in it until you picked it up.

I just put it back in place and left it there, I wasn't charged and I said nothing to them, it's sometimes worth checking for these things on arrival !

Some underpaid worker was catching some zzzz's in what was supposed to be your room and you want to change hotels over it ?

The small refund was probably worth it thinking you were petty enough to go on trip adviser and whine about it on there as well.

Edited by JimmyTheMook

Some underpaid worker was catching some zzzz's in what was supposed to be your room and you want to change hotels over it ?

The small refund was probably worth it thinking you were petty enough to go on trip adviser and whine about it on there as well.

As I said, I may have over reacted. Obviously by the responce of the hotel management, my decision was justified.

The small refund as you put it was the full 5 nights. A little shy of 10,000 Baht.

For the record. I don't use trip advisor, so your accusation of me whining on there is pure fantasy.

whilst I have experienced good customer service at hotels, I can’t really think of anything that stands out; I can think of some poor examples though:

eg

majestic suites has a good reputation and was my hotel of choice for years. if I ever chose to upgrade a hotel star or 2, I’d choose it’s big sister the majestic grande on soi 2.

however, I remember a particular occasion which left me disappointed with majestic suites.

my gf was applying some slap pre-night out and she got some mascara on the bed sheets – it was the odd drop here and there, barely visible.

anyway, when I came to check-out I was handed the bill which included a charge of 1200THB for bed sheets. 1200THB!!! :):D:D

I queried the charge with the receptionist (who knew me reasonably well as a returning customer). she was obviously in a foul mood and gave me a grunt before storming off to get the aforementioned sheets.

the sheets were shown to me and, as expected, the odd spot of mascara was there.

I was laughing at their cheek by this point and told the receptionist that A. mascara would surely wash out and B. if it didn’t, I’d be absolutely stunned if a single bed sheet would cost 1200THB.

I could not believe they were trying to charge me for this so I asked to speak to the manager. I was told the manager was unavailable and I had to catch a long-haul flight, so I reluctantly paid up.

I e-mailed the manager afterwards and he claimed that expensive fabric was used for the bed sheets. he upgraded me for my next stay but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

anyway, I don’t bother with majestic suites these days – they have sneaked their prices up and I just don’t think they’re worth it anymore. little things like installing plasma TV’s has been over-looked too. the bed sheet episode was the final straw

boss suites on soi 4 is brand new, roughly the same price and much, much better value.

Edited by game4shame

"Some underpaid worker was catching some zzzz's in what was supposed to be your room and you want to change hotels over it ?"

Yeah, lucky he didn't insist on have the person fired, executed, disembowelled or sent to Chiangmai..................

Good comment Mr Mook.

There really are some sad people around.

Philw

Underpaid worker - might well be true, no argument.

But is this an appropriate place for the staff to sleep? NO.

And, it obviously true, guest/customers rarely share detals / talk about good service, but they will surely talk at length with numerous people about bad service, just normal human reactions.

Should a professional hotel management team be very concerned about the bad image this creates with guests (and let's remember this is a very competitive industry), and should they go all out to try to show concern and all out to apologize / compensate to try to regain your trust and your patronage? YES!

So, has anyone else got any similar stories.

Do you think this sort of service applies to "International Chains" only or do you think a "Local" establishment would offer the same sort of service.

Sorry to say not so happy with Ibis ( all seasons siam bangkok ) on the 16/3 2010 I stay a least one or two days a Month but this time I pre booked four days paid in advance with credit card I know that there is no refund, but had to book out early after two days Hospital apoinmant come up early spoke to front desk they said no problem, when I cheeked out they told me no refund, I said can I carry the two Days forward to next Month answer a big no, they know me on a first name basis I just felt a little bit saad, but the young Taxi driver just married had two nice two free Nights with his wife I hope that they eat lots of Breakfast, the moral just book one night first, my fault but they could have been nice