Why Are So Many Brands Of Cigarettes Gone.

Khutan

I have noticed after about February that many of the "International" brands of cigarettes have gone from the shelves of 7-11 etc. These are brands like Benson, JPS and Dunhill. They used to be in pleantiful supply, but now no more.

Fortunately I have a friend that travels to BKK every week, so I can get a carton of Duty free from the airport every week, but what are the other smokers doing and when will they return.

They still got my Marlboro Lights so I haven't noticed.

Wish I could find somewhere to buy Camel Lights in Bangcock.

Edit: hmm, they actually have been out of stock of my M Lights several times the past few weeks but it is always temporary. Maybe that is what is happening with yours - check back they might have them now.

Edited by YanTree

I have had them fully open the covers and the bransa I am talking about have totally disappeared. I know Marlboro Lights disappeared for a while, but I think that was to do with the Tax rise.

I have had them fully open the covers and the bransa I am talking about have totally disappeared. I know Marlboro Lights disappeared for a while, but I think that was to do with the Tax rise.

Can't get Benson and Hedges for love nor money around Pattaya. This started about 2 months ago. Don't know why?

Cheers, Rick

They still got my Marlboro Lights so I haven't noticed.

Wish I could find somewhere to buy Camel Lights in Bangcock.

Edit: hmm, they actually have been out of stock of my M Lights several times the past few weeks but it is always temporary. Maybe that is what is happening with yours - check back they might have them now.

Ohh you are soooo witty!

...Not :)

Edited by Livinginexile

I suspect that the anti-tobacco lobby might have finally taxed the cost of imported cigarettes beyond the budget of the majority of the market, considering that a softpack of Marlboro was 55 baht from the 711 in 2548 (2005), then 60 baht in 2549 (2006), and now just risen from 75 baht to 78 baht at the 711 now in 2553 (2010). Considering that the average wage has not risen by 30% over the past three years, but the price of cigarettes (due to taxation) has, it might be that they've just taxed the high-quality tobacco out of the reach of the average wage earner, and driven them to less-reliable local products, which will most likely have an adverse effect on the health of these people in both the short- and long-term, thanks to these so-called 'health' departments. :)

I suspect that the anti-tobacco lobby might have finally taxed the cost of imported cigarettes beyond the budget of the majority of the market, considering that a softpack of Marlboro was 55 baht from the 711 in 2548 (2005), then 60 baht in 2549 (2006), and now just risen from 75 baht to 78 baht at the 711 now in 2553 (2010). Considering that the average wage has not risen by 30% over the past three years, but the price of cigarettes (due to taxation) has, it might be that they've just taxed the high-quality tobacco out of the reach of the average wage earner, and driven them to less-reliable local products, which will most likely have an adverse effect on the health of these people in both the short- and long-term, thanks to these so-called 'health' departments. :)

Smoke more addictive and cheaper poorer quality cigarettes which kill you more easily. Loved by governments the world over.... :D

Maybe its time I quit too.....

Why we can not buy Marlboro at Swappy Duty??? Whats the Deal that they are not selling them any more at Duty free??

I doubt anyone has ever managed to buy them at Suvarnbhami duty free. Every time I pass through they have mysteriously run out.

They only ever pretended to sell them. Buy them at foodland instead. :)

I'm proud to work in marketing for 25 years : I can see we make good job. People mix good taste and health impact. Just to let you know it is not because it taste good that it is... good. And taste bad so it's... bad. Actually it's just the opposite. Look at the composition o the cigarettes if you see tobacco + paper = 92% (not here of course but n the western countries) ask yourself what are the 8% missing. By the way it's like food...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm proud to work in marketing for 25 years : I can see we make good job. People mix good taste and health impact. Just to let you know it is not because it taste good that it is... good. And taste bad so it's... bad. Actually it's just the opposite. Look at the composition o the cigarettes if you see tobacco + paper = 92% (not here of course but n the western countries) ask yourself what are the 8% missing. By the way it's like food...

Let me guess: the filter? doesn't taste particularly good to me but whatever floats your boat. :)

• 1 month later...

Been working at Philip Morris for the last few months. They said that BAT had less than 1.75% market share in Thailand and, because of legal restrictions on advertising and marketing, saw no hope of improving this situation and pulled out as of Jan. 1 this year.

Sad for me as no London, but LM Select, silver packet, is the best alternative smoke I've found. It's pretty smooth.