Hid Bi-xenon 55 Watts

Cobrabiker

After much research done on the internet, I am thinking of getting one for my bike. 55 watts bi-xenon, which is high and low beam, 5000k temperature, which is almost white color. Does anyone has any experience on HID xenon, I mean the real one that has a ballast? And where do I get one? The ballast needs to be waterproof. Any chance of getting it in Pattaya?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presumably you mean these, this is what i`m looking into as we speak, only thing is i would like to know what the front head light spare from rayong would cost incase i f..ck mine up....i`m getting mine from china, hopefully wont pay import duties due to their aggreement with us>>>>>>>>>>>>????

post-53496-1268507417_thumb.jpg

If you have plastic headlight lens and reflector it could lead to problems ie melting said lens and/or reflector. I've been told it has happened on cars. It maybe necessary to drill some air holes in the top of the housing for ventilation! I've only got 60/55 halogens in my headlamp and I am amazed at the amount of heat they generate.

bi-xenon has one major disadvantage. when switching from low beam to high beam, it takes seconds before high beam ignites/lights up. most cars with bi-xenon also have halogen high beams to cover this gap of darkness.

55 watt xenon low beam are available with halogen high beam, all in one unit.

heat from 55 watt xenon is identical to heat from 55/60 watt halogen in projector. Ballast also provides some heat. ballast is usually splash proof, but not waterproof

I dont like it too blue and sure not yellow, so I prefere approx 4500-4800 Kalvin

looking forward to see Ninja xenon. HD, let us know how it works

bi-xenon has one major disadvantage. when switching from low beam to high beam, it takes seconds before high beam ignites/lights up. most cars with bi-xenon also have halogen high beams to cover this gap of darkness.

heat from 55 watt xenon is identical to heat from 55/60 watt halogen in projector. Ballast also provides some heat. ballast is usually splash proof, but not waterproof

I dont like it too blue and sure not yellow, so I prefere approx 4500-4800 Kalvin

All lot of the newer kits have digital ballasts which alleviates the dwell time concern on high & low beam

All lot of the newer kits have digital ballasts which alleviates the dwell time concern on high & low beam

still takes some time to ignite the xenon gaz in the bulb. Not one single new vehicle is yet approved without additional halogen high beam, since laws require imidiate respons to flashing high beams

still takes some time to ignite the xenon gaz in the bulb. Not one single new vehicle is yet approved without additional halogen high beam, since laws require imidiate respons to flashing high beams

That's an interesting point, I'l follow-up on the particaular brand I saw that showed virtulally instant changeover...curious... :)

That's an interesting point, I'l follow-up on the particaular brand I saw that showed virtulally instant changeover...curious... :)

me too, curious. like all new tech actually working

It maybe necessary to drill some air holes in the top of the housing for ventilation!

I wouldn't drill them in the top! I'd drill them in the bottom, less chance of water getting in and if it does it drains back out..

Edited by WarpSpeed

It maybe necessary to drill some air holes in the top of the housing for ventilation!

I wouldn't drill them in the top! I'd drill them in the bottom, less chance of water getting in and if it does it drains back out..

there is no need to drill them at all, since 55w xenon delivers exact same heat as 55w halogen. xenon lights are brighter more efficient, not warmer

So with the digital ballast, low beam to high is instantaneous? I saw a few clips on youtube, it is like immediate, no slack in reaction time, are those digital?

That's correct; also for bikes, there are companies making smaller compact ballasts so as not to take up room. The older style ballasts had piss poor fire up time, they were also a lot cheaper, go figure.

Slim ballast comparison

slimcompare.jpg

Prices are coming down greatly eg:

$109.99 Ducati 999 standard

4300K.jpg

For $40 more.....

$149.99 Ducati 999 Ultra thin

0ec32086ad7b5dd8c385b017ed9381fc.image.533x550.jpg

Have any idea whether this is sold in Thailand? I mean the digital HID kit.

No to be honest, I'll be purchasing from the US, if they cannot be sourced here (TH). Not sure if any of the big bike shops sell them in Thailand. Let me know if you find out, could save me some shipping time. :)

Just called Dr. Bike in Bkk, he said he would get it in a week, but I am not sure whether it is a digital one, as he does not seem to understand "digital ballast". Can you pm me the website of the HID you intend to buy, thanks. What what color temp you intend to get?

Just called Dr. Bike in Bkk, he said he would get it in a week, but I am not sure whether it is a digital one, as he does not seem to understand "digital ballast". Can you pm me the website of the HID you intend to buy, thanks. What what color temp you intend to get?

No problem but the links are there underlined on top of the photos.

:) Here is the website in clear: http://www.motorcyclelightbulbs.net/

Edited by Garry

Hi Garry, that is 35w, do they have a 55w kit? I think 55w kit is for car, but can also be used on bikes.

I honestly feel that you won't need much more wattage, as the lights are so efficient...check out their range, piccys below. I'll be getting them for a Ducati 999S, and I'm not concerned as they will be bright enough for me as I intend getting the 10000K

post-6366-1268633890_thumb.jpg

post-6366-1268633901_thumb.jpg

Edited by Garry

OT

I am happy with my PIAA type XTreme white H4 which give 110/100w equivalent light for 60/55w input. My bike is old so does have a large generator.

I paid 2500 baht many years ago from Riders Club but they should be available at Off road shops and probably cheaper.

Edited by VocalNeal

OT

I am happy with my PIAA type XTreme white H4 which give 110/100w equivalent light for 60/55w input. My bike is old so does have a large generator.

I paid 2500 baht many years ago from Riders Club but they should be available at Off road shops and probably cheaper.

Actually I'm a fan of PIAA goodies myself. Their LED 6000K bulbs are pretty neat, but the 'wedge' bulbs would be a bit of a retrofit nightmare to fit up.

Edited by Garry

The 55 watts is about 40% brighter, I like riding fast, almost ran off the corners a few times at night, that is why I intend to get the brightest. Btw, I am not sure whether you are aware that the higher the temperature, the dimmer it is , for eg., 10,000k is not as bright as 6000k, and 3000k will be the brightest. It is the color chioce instead, as 3k will be yellow, 5k almost white, then blue, bla bla bla.....,

Hi Vocal, any bike can fit a hid kit, provided there is bulb for your bike, those that have a ballast are the real one, and not filled with xenon gas bulb only. It requires a higher amp to start up then a lower than normal halogen amp to keep it up, you do not need a gigantic regulator to recharge the batt. Yours I think is high performance halogen bulb, but if you ride fast at night, you may want a brighter source, a 55w HID xenon will easily double your halogen's brightness.

Well mine are on there way, i`ve gone for the projector type, 55w-blue angels-6000k...bi xenons,

The main reason is i will be able to have both lights lit on low beam and both on high beam, i HATE the single low on the 650r and as i said before i want to contain most of the heat behind the projetor glass..and the bi xenons low beam stays on when you switch to hi beam so no worry of a time delay plus they are slim digital ballasts anyway....

Hi Vocal, any bike can fit a hid kit, provided there is bulb for your bike, those that have a ballast are the real one, and not filled with xenon gas bulb only. It requires a higher amp to start up then a lower than normal halogen amp to keep it up, you do not need a gigantic regulator to recharge the batt. Yours I think is high performance halogen bulb, but if you ride fast at night, you may want a brighter source, a 55w HID xenon will easily double your halogen's brightness.

Cobra,

My headlight is very small (120 x 80) so I'm not sure how much I would benefit. It's probably more about the reflector and the lens. Sure my light would be brighter but may not reach further.

I don't commute on a bike anymore. Perhaps if I lived in the country?

I do agree though that one can never have too much light.

The 55 watts is about 40% brighter, I like riding fast, almost ran off the corners a few times at night, that is why I intend to get the brightest. BTW, I am not sure whether you are aware that the higher the temperature, the dimmer it is , for eg., 10,000k is not as bright as 6000k, and 3000k will be the brightest. It is the color choice instead, as 3k will be yellow, 5k almost white, then blue, bla bla bla.....,

Oh I understand that mate; I just don't want to lazer beam everyone as the bike will rarely be ridden at nightime.

The 55 watts is about 40% brighter, I like riding fast, almost ran off the corners a few times at night, that is why I intend to get the brightest. BTW, I am not sure whether you are aware that the higher the temperature, the dimmer it is , for eg., 10,000k is not as bright as 6000k, and 3000k will be the brightest. It is the color choice instead, as 3k will be yellow, 5k almost white, then blue, bla bla bla.....,

Oh I understand that mate; I just don't want to lazer beam everyone as the bike will rarely be ridden at nightime.

Also the fact, that I've seen these 10,000K before and don't mind the output level :)

OT

Thats a good resource, thanks..

I will look into replacing my H3 projector lamps. More power to weld retinas of people that dont dip !!

OT

Thats a good resource, thanks..

I will look into replacing my H3 projector lamps. More power to weld retinas of people that dont dip !!

That should read does NOT have a large generator