Tourism Authority Of Thailand (TAT) Assures The World Of Safety

webfact

TAT assures the world of safety

By SUCHAT SRITAMA

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand has reassured international operators and worldwide media that the government will ensure the safety of all tourists staying in the Kingdom.

"Although there is political unrest in Thailand, tourists are not the target of any group of protesters," TAT governor Suraphon Svetasreni said during the authority's roadshow at the world's largest tourism trade fair, the International Tourism Boerse, held in Berlin last week.

He also gave operators confidence that authorities would not allow anyone to close the airport like in late 2008, which caused tourism to plunge by 30 per cent in the following six months.

The TAT, together with Tourist Police and private tourism organisations such as the Thai Hotels Association (THA), has set up the Tourist Assistance Centre at its Bangkok head office.

The unit centralises communications with all visitors and stands ready to help them with any emergency needs.

"Western tourists especially from Europe want to return to Thailand this year despite hearing about the political unrest," said Prakit Shinamourphong, president of the THA.

Suraphon said that although 37 countries had issued or reissued travel advisories to their citizens, the centre had not yet received calls asking for help or making cancellations.

Tourism bodies feel confident that international tourists will continue visiting the country even though political activities are commonplace.

"The tourism industry will be saved if the political conflict does not flare up into violence," said Kongkrit Hiranyakit, chairman of the Tourism Council of Thailand.

Thailand is strong in service standards and value-for-money product offerings, so tourists should consider coming back, he said.

"Political conflict is not a big thing for European tourists unless it turns into a crisis. It has been proved that the two states of emergency did not cut visitor arrivals," he said.

Somboon Chirayus, president of the Phuket Tourism Association and deputy managing director of the Merlin Hotel Phuket, said more tourists were coming back despite the political turmoil.

The TAT governor has worked with Emirates to promote Thailand as a destination for medical tourism among Middle East tourists. More tourism packages for Chiang Mai and Samui will be launched in Arab markets.

The TAT is a member of the European Agents Association, which signed an agreement with the Thailand Ecotourism and Adventure Tourism Association here last week to introduce 20 green tourism routes to the European market.

It is also working with Turkish Airlines to promote Thailand and Vietnam as one package deal to European travellers.

Pruet Boobhakam, executive vice president of Thai Airways International, said the airline is working with its alliance members and non-alliance partners to develop a network for the "ABC" countries (Argentina, Brazil and Chile) in South America.

THAI is also negotiating with airlines to serve the Hawaiian and Canadian markets. It will resume Thailand-South Africa operations on May 16 to cope with high demand expected during the Fifa World Cup.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-17

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Thailand is strong in service standards and value-for-money product offerings, so tourists should consider coming back, he said.

Not the last time i checked.

Service is 3rd world and prices exceed western 1st world countries.

Suraphon, get into the real world.

I agree. Suraphone, governor of Toursim Authority of Thailand, should convince the world not to visit Thailand!

So let me get his straight today on Thai visa

Headline 1 - TAT assures the world of Safety

followed by

Headline 2 - Chang Mai Chokes on Smog

Hmmmmmm.

Apart from the fact that headline one implies - that TAT is now assuring everyone that the world is infact a safe place

So let me get his straight today on Thai visa

Headline 1 - TAT assures the world of Safety

followed by

Headline 2 - Chang Mai Chokes on Smog

Hmmmmmm.

Apart from the fact that headline one implies - that TAT is now assuring everyone that the world is infact a safe place

And let's not forget the Seventh UN Survey where Thailand ranks number one globally with 80% of murders committed with a firearm. Or the Times (UK) article which states Thailand is the most dangerous place for a British tourist to visit...more deaths occur here, proportionally, than anywhere else in the world (269 in 2008). Though a majority are due to scooter accidents....

Guess we should also believe them when they tell us the water here is safe to drink? :)

I highly doubt sanitary protests of blood LOL & smoke & all the other factors that give a country the kind of rep required to be considered an exclusive IATA based vacation. I know as a former travel agent this country earns the couldn't get it up with a crane rating in the travel dept. Lets see will the airports be taken over again or the army actually come into play. Or will the honey trucks roll out the reds to get them to disperse. This country right now(not to mention the bahts overvalue) make a Mideastern holiday look just as good. 1/2 a step forward & the caveman ages back. Someone is smoking something to good to be true on the article written.

I agree. Suraphone, governor of Toursim Authority of Thailand, should convince the world not to visit Thailand!

Agreed, Agreed, Agreed

Edited by lensta

"Political conflict is not a big thing for European tourists unless it turns into a crisis. It has been proved that the two states of emergency did not cut visitor arrivals," he said.

Service standards! The average Thai doesn't even know the meaning! The crisis in late 2008 (as mentioned in the OP) which affected thousands of travellers resulting in a 30% reduction in tourism for 6 months didn't happen?

What planet is this <deleted> on? Talk about contradiction.........Thailand = 3rd world country run by 2nd rate people.

Service standards! The average Thai doesn't even know the meaning! The crisis in late 2008 (as mentioned in the OP) which affected thousands of travellers resulting in a 30% reduction in tourism for 6 months didn't happen?

What planet is this <deleted> on? Talk about contradiction.........Thailand = 3rd world country run by 2nd rate people.

someone in charge of security already announced that there is an alleged element of sabotage...mmm foreign security agencies hinted "stay away from thailand" right?