Tesco Goes Green

craigt3365

We were at Tesco today and as usual we brought our own bags. There was quite a commotion. A manager was called and came over to sort things out. After it was over I learned Tesco is now offering bonus points to people who bring their own bags and I guess we were the first they had encountered. So needed to sort a few things out. I have no idea what bonus points are all about.....

Anyway, for those of you looking forward to getting bonus points at Tesco...go at it! And help save the planet as well.

A few months ago I took my own sgopping box to Lotus..........impossible to take it into the store. Had to leave it behind at the counter for bags and other things. After paying I had to load everything from my cart into he box.....a lot of handling. Never again.

Bonus points at Lotus, does it look like the "Wish card" from Carrefour.....? If someone knows about to do with it, please tell me!!

Bonus Points at Tesco.

A couple of months ago Mrs Chickenslegs and I were persuaded to get a bonus card. Since then we have presented it at the checkout each time we shopped there (when remembered or reminded).

As there is no discount given, and none of the checkout staff have been able to explain how to claim/use any points accumulated, we were puzzled - until yesterday.

We received a letter from Tesco, together with vouchers for 110 baht, which must be used before January 2011.

Apparently we accumulated 11,050 points during February. 50 points will be carried forward into March.

We have been using our own bags for months. Never had a problem getting them in...though the clerks did give us some funny looks....and now, after many months, as chickenslegs says, we will get 110 baht for our troubles...oh well...

Very good.

Encouraging the Thais not to put everything into a free plastic bag, and then to put the free plastic bag into another free plastic bag.

All of which end up stuck in a tree.

Get rid of plastic bags. Especially in Thailand where they are a scourge.

I generally ask clerks to not use a bag if I am only buying, for example, a can of coke or a pack of gum. Amazing they have to put a pack of gum into a small bag. When I tell them NO, most times they are shocked.

In Uganda, they have banned plastic bags. Even check you coming in at the airport. In many places in Russia, you have to pair a fair amount of money for a bag. Something like 10 or 15 cents. Not a lot, but sure keeps them from using the bags!

In the very near future, if you don't bring your own bags, (preferably cloth) you will be charged 50 setang for small plastic bags, and 1 Baht for large at Tesco, Big C, and carrefour. This was published some time ago, and was suppose to go into affect the first of the year, but has been delayed.

Barry

In Uganda, they have banned plastic bags. Even check you coming in at the airport. In many places in Russia, you have to pair a fair amount of money for a bag. Something like 10 or 15 cents. Not a lot, but sure keeps them from using the bags!

Well, here in Sweden (and probably all the Nordic countries) when buying groceries you have to pay aprox 8 baht for a small bag and about 11 baht for a big one. People re-use the plastic bags, or buy cloth bags. Garbage bags can be bought separately, made from recycled plastic bags for a low low price. A lot of municipalities have two separate bins for every household, one is for composting organic waste with a fixed monthly fee, the other bin you pay per kilo waste, and in every borough there are environmental stations where you can leave paper, glass, metal, light bulbs batteries etc for free. But I guess it will take some time before Thailand reaches that.

Edited by martin.agren

Well, here in Sweden (and probably all the Nordic countries) when buying groceries you have to pay aprox 8 baht for a small bag and about 11 baht for a big one. People re-use the plastic bags, or buy cloth bags. Garbage bags can be bought separately, made from recycled plastic bags for a low low price. A lot of municipalities have two separate bins for every household, one is for composting organic waste with a fixed monthly fee, the other bin you pay per kilo waste, and in every borough there are environmental stations where you can leave paper, glass, metal, light bulbs batteries etc for free. But I guess it will take some time before Thailand reaches that.

We're way ahead of you here in Thailand.

We can just throw our trash out of the car window and an old chap with a hand cart will collect it and take it for recycling.

After a visit to the beach we just leave our trash on the sand and the high tide takes care of it.

:)

Looks like they are implemeting the "green points" system we have at Tesco in UK. You get points same as with your club bard but they are worth more points or you will get vouchers with the next letter off of "green" products. I never use plastic in UK but after being in Samui for a while got use to the reuse of them as like others was asked to check my canvas shopping bags at the bag hold desk, even though they were empty. In the end got sick of trying to explain why I had a resuable bag & just use the plastic bags instead of black bin bags. At least it is some kind of recycling.