Roast Garlic Lamb

millwall_fan

At the Olde Bell today (Sunday) we have Roast Garlic Lamb with roast potatoes, Yorkshire Puddings, veg and gravy. Not a Lamb fan? try our Roast Beef, Roast Pork or Roast Chicken. Or if you are really undecided, try our Sunday Sampler - slices of Beef Pork AND chicken!

We start serving at 1pm and its strictly first come first served - when it's gone, it's gone! Supplies usually last until, about 9pm - well after the Man U Liverpool kick off time! Why not combine the two!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a posting, giving you information about Sunday Lunch at The Olde Bell. If you click on our little advertising banner above, you can find out more about us.

Incidentally, if you can recall two of your own recent posts giving us information about Bake 'n Bite and and the steaks at the Kanatary Hills, you will note that they are in similar vein!!

Edited by millwall_fan

Is this a commercial or a posting? I wasn't aware we could advertise here.

Please, it's bad enough without freelance forum-gestapo donning their TV-Volunteer-police T-shirts.

It sounds like a good thing to do for a Sunday afternoon. Instead of sniping about it, why not offer something positive, something else to do on this beautiful sunny morning?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Not sure if it was Sansai Sam's post or other responses, but I have to report that as of 3pm, the Garlic Lamb has sold out at The Olde Bell! So if you were thinking of hopping in the old jalopy and coming down here, we've no Lamb left!

Plenty of Roast Beef, Pork and Chicken though!

We provide Sunday Lunch each week ha55ha, but the Garlic Lamb is a special we put on once a month. The next occasion will be on Sunday 4th April (Easter Sunday)

Davidoxon: I can assure you the Beef, Pork and Chicken are pretty succulent too!!

The garlic lamb sounds like a terrific idea. Lovely people at The Olde Bell,too, but --- even though I am not really a fan of food thread --- I had a really awful Sunday lunch (the roast beef with all the trimmings special) --- a few weeks back. A GREAT disappointment since I was really in the mood for it. The roast beef was tough and like rubber, the ersatz Yorkshire was doughy, and the veggies were overcooked. If you want a delicious meal, walk a few doors down to Chez Marco and go to The Olde Bell for a beer and the quiz, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Funny, I don't recall a complaint being made! I take any complaints seriously and we have a complaints book if I'm not there. It's a bit unfair to make comments on Thaivisa before you have made representations to the management (ie me!)

Marco is a good friend of mine and I enjoy his food. Our food is quite different to Chez Marco's and if you are in the mood for the one, it is unlikely that the other will suffice. Marco gets complaints too. Mistakes are sometimes made, chefs have off days etc. and I will always make good on problems such as those you experienced.

I am sending you a PM Mapguy, offering a free voucher for you and a partner/friend to re-try our Roast Beef Sunday lunch as we sell a lot of it and are quite proud of it.

Funny, I don't recall a complaint being made! I take any complaints seriously and we have a complaints book if I'm not there. It's a bit unfair to make comments on Thaivisa before you have made representations to the management (ie me!)

Marco is a good friend of mine and I enjoy his food. Our food is quite different to Chez Marco's and if you are in the mood for the one, it is unlikely that the other will suffice. Marco gets complaints too. Mistakes are sometimes made, chefs have off days etc. and I will always make good on problems such as those you experienced.

I am sending you a PM Mapguy, offering a free voucher for you and a partner/friend to re-try our Roast Beef Sunday lunch as we sell a lot of it and are quite proud of it.

sunday lunch / dinner is a very personal thing. My mum makes the BEST. Im sure yours is good. I like the cut of your menu. I think ive even got a fabled discount card from your place. But the thing is youre trying mate. youre still here. I guess youre not making millions of baht. But who is.

I remember popping in and a group of tourist lads had just done a trek and were waxing lyrical about your grub.

One last thing dont put yourself on a pedr stal if u dont want....... etc geddit

how much is sunday lunch for kids ive got 4. 1 hungry, two pickers, one babe in arms.

chin chin.

Thanks for your kind words Cerbera. All we can do is try our best! I've not got a kids Sunday lunch price, but let me see, 4 kids as you describe: Say hungry one 1/2 price, 2 pickers 25% and we'll mash something tasty up for the babe in arms gratis. We've 1 high chair if you need it. Drop me an email before you come if possible so I can leave a memo detailing the discounts with the staff and organise the high chair.

BTW I had my roast beef and Yorkshire puddings tonight and they tasted great. We must have had a bad 'off'week when mapguy came along! We'll show him what we CAN do next month!

Complaints are important. The first time I went to your place it was for Christmas Dinner. Unfortunately it was late and several of the items that were supposed to be on the plate weren't there as they had obviously run out. I wasn't going to kick up a fuss so I just paid (charged full price despite missing items) and left.

And didn't return for nearly two years as I believed the food to be rubbish based on that one experience.

Then I was looking for somewhere to eat and could park near your place and decided to give it another try and the food was excellent. I've returned several times since and brought other people with me.

But because of that one experience you lost two years of business from myself and the people I would have brought.

Maybe not a make or break for your business, but these things can add up. Several people not going back for several meals and not bringing several other people and so on then starts to add up to a lot of missed business.

Just goes to reinforce how hard it is to run a restaurant here and maintain standards.

This is not meant as a criticism but more of a commiseration and empathy for the difficulty

Complaints are important. The first time I went to your place it was for Christmas Dinner. Unfortunately it was late and several of the items that were supposed to be on the plate weren't there as they had obviously run out. I wasn't going to kick up a fuss so I just paid (charged full price despite missing items) and left.

And didn't return for nearly two years as I believed the food to be rubbish based on that one experience.

Then I was looking for somewhere to eat and could park near your place and decided to give it another try and the food was excellent. I've returned several times since and brought other people with me.

But because of that one experience you lost two years of business from myself and the people I would have brought.

Maybe not a make or break for your business, but these things can add up. Several people not going back for several meals and not bringing several other people and so on then starts to add up to a lot of missed business.

Just goes to reinforce how hard it is to run a restaurant here and maintain standards.

This is not meant as a criticism but more of a commiseration and empathy for the difficulty

Thank you for that feedback. As you say, complaints are important. Had you complained to me on that Christmas Day 2 or 3 years ago, I'm sure we could have sorted things out to your satisfaction. We have improved a lot in the last 3 years as you are kind enough to mention.

One of the problems we have is that our chefs (in common with most in Thailand), don't like the food they are cooking. They'll cook up a nice beef stew for the customers and then sit back munching a bowl of somtam! I do all the sampling (as those of you who know me will testify!)

It is my honest belief that we at The Olde Bell produce good quality pub food at reasonable prices. Many of the things on our menu are not on a menu anywhere else in Chiang Mai. You should judge us as such. We are not Michelin starred, but we produce tasty meals that are enjoyed by the vast majority of our customers.

I would urge anyone who has a problem to tell me, or if I'm not there, call me. It is very difficult to comment on bad experiences that people had weeks or even years ago - when they didn't complain at the time. We get used to not complaining in Thailand because it's not the done thing and nothing would be done about it anyway. One of the advantages of eating at a place like ours is that we do take complaints seriously and act on them!

Only been to the The Olde Bell a couple of times. I ordered the burger and chips and was highly satisfied. Friendly bar staff as well so will definitely pop in again soon.

It also dumbfounds me why people feel the need to criticize on this board something that they didn't/wouldn't criticize to the owner of the business. I guess anonymity has a lot to do with it. I remember in the Ratchiwiti Road Chiang Mai Salon receiving a soggy veggie burger. I spoke with the boss who apologized, didn't charge me for what I did eat and gave me a 300 baht voucher for another day. I could have avoided speaking to anyone, left bitter and posted about it on Thaivisa but that's a little sad IMO. I understand how difficult it is to manage Thais and mistakes happen.

Edited by Loaded

I cant believe that people have a bad experience regarding their meals,one 2 years ago .Then say nothing at the time .Only to make statements here that cannot be verifyed either way.

Is it so hard to complain face to face at the time ,i dont think so if the meal is not right you are not kicking up a fuss by mentioning it .

I cant believe that people have a bad experience regarding their meals,one 2 years ago .Then say nothing at the time .Only to make statements here that cannot be verifyed either way.

Is it so hard to complain face to face at the time ,i dont think so if the meal is not right you are not kicking up a fuss by mentioning it .

It was late on Christmas day. In the evening actually. It was the first time I'd been in there and simply decided to not go back.

I certainly didn't want to get in to a situation with a group of friends of complaining to a bar owner who was very likely to be drunk at that time of the evening on Christmas Day and may have started a shouting row. I've seen it happen many times before. Some drunken yob of an owner <deleted> and blinding at customers who complained.

In case you hadn't noticed, not every Brit who owns a bar in this country is a professional, civilised person.

And the insinuation that it "can't be verified" as if I'm a rival bar owner trying to slander his business is very unfair considering I've already stated that it was a one off and that the food on subsequent occasions has been excellent.

I was simply trying to show how something done by the Thai staff could cost the owner a lot more than they realise or is immediately evident. Perhaps others in the business and thinking of going in to the business will be helped in training their staff not to cut corners for convenience

It was late on Christmas day. In the evening actually. It was the first time I'd been in there and simply decided to not go back.

I certainly didn't want to get in to a situation with a group of friends of complaining to a bar owner who was very likely to be drunk at that time of the evening on Christmas Day and may have started a shouting row. I've seen it happen many times before. Some drunken yob of an owner <deleted> and blinding at customers who complained.

In case you hadn't noticed, not every Brit who owns a bar in this country is a professional, civilised person.

And the insinuation that it "can't be verified" as if I'm a rival bar owner trying to slander his business is very unfair considering I've already stated that it was a one off and that the food on subsequent occasions has been excellent.

I was simply trying to show how something done by the Thai staff could cost the owner a lot more than they realise or is immediately evident. Perhaps others in the business and thinking of going in to the business will be helped in training their staff not to cut corners for convenience

No insinuations at all ,cannot be verifyed because it was 2 years ago .You can say it was bad but how can the bar defend themselves with it being so long ago.I would complain at the time before i ate the meal .not on a forum .

No insinuations at all ,cannot be verifyed because it was 2 years ago .You can say it was bad but how can the bar defend themselves with it being so long ago.I would complain at the time before i ate the meal .not on a forum .

The bar DOESN'T NEED TO DEFEND ITSELF. I've already said the food is good now

I've also explained why I didn't complain at the time.

Edited by Theyreallrubbish

The bar DOESN'T NEED TO DEFEND ITSELF. I've already said the food is good now

I've also explained why I didn't complain at the time.

Theyreallrubbish ----- I understood the point of your orginal post, pity others did not.

This is an expat site, and we need to know these sorts of things.

"OnNut" is eactly right.

I wish we'd see more postings like the OP: helpful information, of interest to expats, from local businesses.

If the "advertising rule" is allowed a little slack, all the better for expats who want to know what's going on around here.

And I hope those businesses do make big profits, so they can continue in business and expand to better serve expats.

But if no profits, then no business, and no roast dinners for us. :)

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Just to let you know not everyone is complaining. I was in your great institution this afternoon about 2:30 PM only two other customers. One was asleep at a table and the other was to busy stuffing his face with your fish and chips, looked good. I took on your shepherds pie (outstanding). The food and service was great. The other clients hummm. I could have shoot a canon off down Loi Khroh and not even hit the undertaker that stree was dead. Keep up the good work on the food. :)

Just to let you know not everyone is complaining. I was in your great institution this afternoon about 2:30 PM only two other customers. One was asleep at a table and the other was to busy stuffing his face with your fish and chips, looked good. I took on your shepherds pie (outstanding). The food and service was great. The other clients hummm. I could have shoot a canon off down Loi Khroh and not even hit the undertaker that stree was dead. Keep up the good work on the food. :)

Red faced embarrassment!! Many thanks for your kind words sir!

OP, why in the world, did you ever decide to start this thread and not just stick to your advertising! You have asked for customer reaction. You have kindly but publicly (a sort of advertisement) offered me a free meal. No thank you! There are too many restaurants in this town who are much, much better, in my view. Otherwise, I am glad you are friends with nearby and much better, to my taste, cooks than you are.

From time to time, although I know they are health no-no's, I love roast beef, pork, chicken and the trimmings. I actually know how to cook them. Much better than you do, actually, but I am too lazy and it is hard economically to prepare a decent roast for just two or three people! Restaurants are supposed to be able to do that. ANd, no, I am not looking for a job in your kitchen!

Otherwise, there is no accounting for traditional English taste for bad English cooking. You'll not find much of it in England anymore, actually, except on the really cheap! But you can unfortunately, to my taste, find ill-conceived, cooked dishes at your place. I regret to say that I think you have missed the mark by quite a long shot.

I hope that you get better, but I haven't got much confidence in that right now. Actually (now that YOU continue the conversation), I have more than one time, as I referred to above, had bad experiences in your restaurant. Indeed, I also encountered some rather curious individuals drooling at table when I was last there, as referred to just above by another poster. You seem to attract rather mixed company. I'll bet that some don't pay well.

Edited by Mapguy