Roast Garlic Lamb

millwall_fan

... You have asked for customer reaction....

This is what he said "I would urge anyone who has a problem to tell me, or if I'm not there, call me."

You read that as 'launch an unsubstantiated anonymous attack on someone on the internet who has offered to hear personally your complaint and offered without any strings a free meal for two.'

Why don't you pm him, or call him, or pop in and chat to him? Or you could just continue your anonymous unsubstantiated attacks that misquote people. :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I don't recall a complaint being made! I take any complaints seriously and we have a complaints book if I'm not there. It's a bit unfair to make comments on Thaivisa before you have made representations to the management (ie me!)

Marco is a good friend of mine and I enjoy his food. Our food is quite different to Chez Marco's and if you are in the mood for the one, it is unlikely that the other will suffice. Marco gets complaints too. Mistakes are sometimes made, chefs have off days etc. and I will always make good on problems such as those you experienced.

I am sending you a PM Mapguy, offering a free voucher for you and a partner/friend to re-try our Roast Beef Sunday lunch as we sell a lot of it and are quite proud of it.

Complaints are important. The first time I went to your place it was for Christmas Dinner. Unfortunately it was late and several of the items that were supposed to be on the plate weren't there as they had obviously run out. I wasn't going to kick up a fuss so I just paid (charged full price despite missing items) and left.

And didn't return for nearly two years as I believed the food to be rubbish based on that one experience.

Then I was looking for somewhere to eat and could park near your place and decided to give it another try and the food was excellent. I've returned several times since and brought other people with me.

But because of that one experience you lost two years of business from myself and the people I would have brought.

Maybe not a make or break for your business, but these things can add up. Several people not going back for several meals and not bringing several other people and so on then starts to add up to a lot of missed business.

Just goes to reinforce how hard it is to run a restaurant here and maintain standards.

This is not meant as a criticism but more of a commiseration and empathy for the difficulty

Thank you for that feedback. As you say, complaints are important. Had you complained to me on that Christmas Day 2 or 3 years ago, I'm sure we could have sorted things out to your satisfaction. We have improved a lot in the last 3 years as you are kind enough to mention.

One of the problems we have is that our chefs (in common with most in Thailand), don't like the food they are cooking. They'll cook up a nice beef stew for the customers and then sit back munching a bowl of somtam! I do all the sampling (as those of you who know me will testify!)

It is my honest belief that we at The Olde Bell produce good quality pub food at reasonable prices. Many of the things on our menu are not on a menu anywhere else in Chiang Mai. You should judge us as such. We are not Michelin starred, but we produce tasty meals that are enjoyed by the vast majority of our customers.

I would urge anyone who has a problem to tell me, or if I'm not there, call me. It is very difficult to comment on bad experiences that people had weeks or even years ago - when they didn't complain at the time. We get used to not complaining in Thailand because it's not the done thing and nothing would be done about it anyway. One of the advantages of eating at a place like ours is that we do take complaints seriously and act on them!

On the strength of your posts in this forum I will pop along for a Sunday lunch, the first and last time I went to your establishment was over a year ago! Enough said! But I will give you another chance.

OP, why in the world, did you ever decide to start this thread and not just stick to your advertising! You have asked for customer reaction. You have kindly but publicly (a sort of advertisement) offered me a free meal. No thank you! There are too many restaurants in this town who are much, much better, in my view. Otherwise, I am glad you are friends with nearby and much better, to my taste, cooks than you are.

From time to time, although I know they are health no-no's, I love roast beef, pork, chicken and the trimmings. I actually know how to cook them. Much better than you do, actually, but I am too lazy and it is hard economically to prepare a decent roast for just two or three people! Restaurants are supposed to be able to do that. ANd, no, I am not looking for a job in your kitchen!

Otherwise, there is no accounting for traditional English taste for bad English cooking. You'll not find much of it in England anymore, actually, except on the really cheap! But you can unfortunately, to my taste, find ill-conceived, cooked dishes at your place. I regret to say that I think you have missed the mark by quite a long shot.

I hope that you get better, but I haven't got much confidence in that right now. Actually (now that YOU continue the conversation), I have more than one time, as I referred to above, had bad experiences in your restaurant. Indeed, I also encountered some rather curious individuals drooling at table when I was last there, as referred to just above by another poster. You seem to attract rather mixed company. I'll bet that some don't pay well.

Why do you accuse the OP of being "English" and of "bad English cooking". His Major Chef is Asian and he is Welsh.

PS The Olde Belle food is very good IMHO and as others have said, if you have a problem with the OP suggest you talk direct/PM/visit etc and not SLAG off in a public forum.

I sponsored Thai visa, so that I could tell TV members about events at The Olde Bell. I have no intention of stopping doing that simply because you choose to trash my pub and my food, Madguy. I am very happy to respond to constructive criticism, but yours is no longer constructive. It is rude and offensive. I run a good pub with good British food, which is enjoyed by many British and Australian tourists and expats and even quite a few Americans, whom I am delighted to say, have far better manners than you. I will pass on the good news to Marco that you will be frequenting his restaurant regularly. I am sure he will be delighted.

As business owners, we all hope customers who have a complaint bring it to us personally. The reality is that doesn't happen very often. I forget the exact numbers quoted, but whats the old maxim...A happy customer tels on average 4 people an unhappy customer tells 13 people. Now we are blessed with internet forums, these numbers are magnified many times.

You can't please all the people all the time Pedr, however Kath and I will be back for some of your substandard food, first week in May.

Cheers

Tim

The garlic lamb sounds like a terrific idea. Lovely people at The Olde Bell,too, but --- even though I am not really a fan of food thread --- I had a really awful Sunday lunch (the roast beef with all the trimmings special) --- a few weeks back. A GREAT disappointment since I was really in the mood for it. The roast beef was tough and like rubber, the ersatz Yorkshire was doughy, and the veggies were overcooked. If you want a delicious meal, walk a few doors down to Chez Marco and go to The Olde Bell for a beer and the quiz, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Have only just read this thread, so clearly missed the food!

Just a comment though. If you read Mapguys' posting carefully, all he is saying is that he had a 'crap' Sunday lunch a few weeks ago. He makes no reference to where this was. For all we know he could have made it himself! He even starts his thread by commending the 'Olde Bell' on the idea of Garlic Lamb.

He then goes on to make a recommendation on where he likes to eat and go for a beer.

Iain

Sounds good to me but,..... as I'm heading to the States to visit the folks next week, I know I'll be asked to cook up my own version of some garlic lamb chops just like these that I made last time. Mmmm ! I'm gonna make sure we buy a few racks so everybody gets enough.

post-34348-1269503123_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your kind words Cerbera. All we can do is try our best! I've not got a kids Sunday lunch price, but let me see, 4 kids as you describe: Say hungry one 1/2 price, 2 pickers 25% and we'll mash something tasty up for the babe in arms gratis. We've 1 high chair if you need it. Drop me an email before you come if possible so I can leave a memo detailing the discounts with the staff and organise the high chair.

BTW I had my roast beef and Yorkshire puddings tonight and they tasted great. We must have had a bad 'off'week when mapguy came along! We'll show him what we CAN do next month!

I've not been there but the owner seems like a very reasonable person and accommodating host. I'll be sure to give it a try.

Funny, I don't recall a complaint being made! I take any complaints seriously and we have a complaints book if I'm not there. It's a bit unfair to make comments on Thaivisa before you have made representations to the management (ie me!)

Marco is a good friend of mine and I enjoy his food. Our food is quite different to Chez Marco's and if you are in the mood for the one, it is unlikely that the other will suffice. Marco gets complaints too. Mistakes are sometimes made, chefs have off days etc. and I will always make good on problems such as those you experienced.

I am sending you a PM Mapguy, offering a free voucher for you and a partner/friend to re-try our Roast Beef Sunday lunch as we sell a lot of it and are quite proud of it.

Complaints are important. The first time I went to your place it was for Christmas Dinner. Unfortunately it was late and several of the items that were supposed to be on the plate weren't there as they had obviously run out. I wasn't going to kick up a fuss so I just paid (charged full price despite missing items) and left.

And didn't return for nearly two years as I believed the food to be rubbish based on that one experience.

Then I was looking for somewhere to eat and could park near your place and decided to give it another try and the food was excellent. I've returned several times since and brought other people with me.

But because of that one experience you lost two years of business from myself and the people I would have brought.

Maybe not a make or break for your business, but these things can add up. Several people not going back for several meals and not bringing several other people and so on then starts to add up to a lot of missed business.

Just goes to reinforce how hard it is to run a restaurant here and maintain standards.

This is not meant as a criticism but more of a commiseration and empathy for the difficulty

Thank you for that feedback. As you say, complaints are important. Had you complained to me on that Christmas Day 2 or 3 years ago, I'm sure we could have sorted things out to your satisfaction. We have improved a lot in the last 3 years as you are kind enough to mention.

One of the problems we have is that our chefs (in common with most in Thailand), don't like the food they are cooking. They'll cook up a nice beef stew for the customers and then sit back munching a bowl of somtam! I do all the sampling (as those of you who know me will testify!)

It is my honest belief that we at The Olde Bell produce good quality pub food at reasonable prices. Many of the things on our menu are not on a menu anywhere else in Chiang Mai. You should judge us as such. We are not Michelin starred, but we produce tasty meals that are enjoyed by the vast majority of our customers.

I would urge anyone who has a problem to tell me, or if I'm not there, call me. It is very difficult to comment on bad experiences that people had weeks or even years ago - when they didn't complain at the time. We get used to not complaining in Thailand because it's not the done thing and nothing would be done about it anyway. One of the advantages of eating at a place like ours is that we do take complaints seriously and act on them!

Wow!!

You are now blaming your problems on your inability to hire good people and train them properly .

This is a sad excuse that just does not cut the mustard ....

Wow!!

You are now blaming your problems on your inability to hire good people and train them properly .

This is a sad excuse that just does not cut the mustard ....

Rubbish.

He's not blaming the staff he's just pointing out the cultural fact that few Thai chef's of western food have serious interest in eating it themselves.

if you have experience of running any sort of eatery in Thailand you would understand.

You make a very unfair comment.

philw

Edited by philw

Rubbish ?

Cultural facts about Thai's "cooks"?

Why not the cultural inability of the farang to properly hire good people and train them well ? This is more on point.

Thai, Indian ,Vietnamese,USA Black men from the deep south ,pick your nationality , the buck always stops with the man in charge ... no crybaby excuses please.

point #2

"serious interest in eating it themselves?"

Did anybody say anything about Thai cooks shoveling the food in they are cooking !

Please......stop making excuses and start teaching!

Any nationality can and will follow these very simple recipies ,even give a taste here and there and take basic pride in what they do.

If you are going on TV boasting about your wares please no excuses about your poorly trained and most likely underpaid help!

Please everybody do your best but no excuses please .

it just don't cut the mustard .

Edited by zuzkate

Rubbish ?

Why not the cultural inability of the farang to properly hire good people and train them well ? This is more on point.

Thai, Indian ,Vietnamese,USA Black men from the deep south ,pick your nationality , the buck always stops with the man in charge ... no crybaby excuses please.

point #2

Did anybody say anything about Thai cooks shoveling the food in they are cooking !

Any nationality can and will follow these very simple recipies ,even give a taste here and there and take basic pride in what they do.

If you are going on TV boasting about your wares please no excuses about your poorly trained and most likely underpaid help!

Started a reply to you but after mature reflection decided you are probably not worth the effort.

Having said that, the Old bell is an ok pub, serving ok food, at an ok price in an ok atmosphere. ( an achievement against the prevailing odds in Chiangmai, I think ! )

Why do you denigrate the owners efforts ??

Do you employ any Thai staff ??

if so, how long did it take you to "educate " them into the finer arts of boiling an egg ??

By the way, I employ over 40 staff , own an international business and am proud that we win clients ( because of the abilities and talents of my Thai staff ) against competition from China, vietnam and points north.

None of them are underpaid.

if you cook and can't taste, that ain't cutting no mustard is it ??

phil williams

real name by the way.

What's yours ??

Rubbish ?

point #2

"Why not the cultural inability of the farang to properly hire good people and train them well ? This is more on point."

Sorry, I forgot.

Your comment quoted above is both rubbish and nonsense...................

Edited by philw

Rubbish ?

point #2

Would that be English or Aussie Mustard

This Sunday, we've got our Sunday staples of roast Beef, Roast Pork and Roast Chicken. all served with roast potatoes, Onion mash, Yorkshire puddings, seasonla veg and gravy. Last week we sold out and had a lot of positive feedback. Most weeks it is the same. Our food is cooked to British/ Australian specifications. We think you will enjoy it! The Australian Grand Prix starts around 1pm. Why not come along and combine the two?

This Sunday, we've got our Sunday staples of roast Beef, Roast Pork and Roast Chicken. all served with roast potatoes, Onion mash, Yorkshire puddings, seasonla veg and gravy. Last week we sold out and had a lot of positive feedback. Most weeks it is the same. Our food is cooked to British/ Australian specifications. We think you will enjoy it! The Australian Grand Prix starts around 1pm. Why not come along and combine the two?

I hope your roast goes well.

But cooking to British/ Australian specifications?? <deleted>!!

Australians like to BBQ & the British cook the crap out of everything.

And there is no taste to either. :)

Gotlost/Sanchez69 you are obviously both from the U/S of A and don't know what the he££ you are talking about.Have you ever been to England? Have you ever had a real English roast dinner? I very much doubt it.Roast beef cooked,in an oven not scorched on a BBQ, is second to done.The Old Bell's sunday dinners are good and perhaps you should try them before writing drivel on this forum.

Gotlost/Sanchez69 you are obviously both from the U/S of A and don't know what the he££ you are talking about.Have you ever been to England? Have you ever had a real English roast dinner? I very much doubt it.Roast beef cooked,in an oven not scorched on a BBQ, is second to done.The Old Bell's sunday dinners are good and perhaps you should try them before writing drivel on this forum.

That's the point that I was trying to make: Brits and Aussies like Sunday Lunch in the way that we cook it.

Some Americans don't.

Sanchez69: that view is a little stereotypical I feel!

ive have eaten rack of lamb done on a bbq before (in nz) and its been delicious, its all about cooking technique

didnt know there was a country specification to roast dinners, but i guess MWF has a way to go before getting to the top to NZ specs :) (just kidding, it sounds superb)

Is Bobby's Arms still going UG? I used to go there a lot, years ago, but tend to hang around Sukhumvit nowadays. Great food at Bobby's. The best Sunday lunch in Bangkok is in the Huntsman IMHO. Excellent, but its 700 baht a pop. The Sunday Lunches at The Olde Bell start at 195Baht (175 baht) if you're a regular.

Thanks for letting me know!

Like you, I tend to stay on Sukhumvit, but I enjoyed Bobby's Arms last time I was there and when I googled "Best British Restaurants in Bangkok" it came out on top.

Edited by Ulysses G.