Us Social Security Phone Interview

kerryk

I filled out a very brief form for retirement benefits and emailed it to the US embassy. (No disability issues just a simple retirement)

They forwarded it to SS in the Philippines.

A caseworker there emailed me back with the date and time for a phone interview.

Does anyone know what they are going to ask me? And what documents I will have to have verified by the US embassy to mail to the embassy in the Philippines?

Edited by kerryk

Trying to be logical (With the US gov't ha!) and their forms requirement for disability payments which will turn into regular SSI payments in just a few years...

I'd want to have at your disposal

1) Passport (they'll want copies signed on all pages)

2) Document supporting the payment (first pay stub, picture of the whole page?)

3) A complete copy of your retirement/pension/continued payment package, in the case where they try an obscure question to trip you up.

4) Proof of residence

5) Bank you are having it direct deposited to with their SWIFT number.

6) I've never used one, but a voice recorder to you can replay the conversations and confirm directions. These are not illegal if A) the parties being copied agree to having the copy made and :) Your device emits a tone every 30-60 seconds to remind people they are being recorded. How to do that in the "privy" of your own home is up to you.

All that being said, USA call center in the Philippines has come a long way in the last few years. The last three interactions I had with them were complete, properly assisted, and followed up 10 days later with a non-form letter. I was actually impressed. You've just to get by the hispanic-accented voices.

Best of luck, let us know how things work out.

This most likely is the preliminary interview to check to see if you are qualified to apply for SSA benefits. Most likely the basics of social security number, birth date, retirement date, if you have stopped working or not and some other basic stuff. Based on the answers to these questions they will then send you a packet in the mail of all the necessary forms to fill out and mail back to them for processing.

"And what documents I will have to have verified by the US embassy to mail to the embassy in the Philippines?"

When you talk to them they'll tell you what they need.

They aren't going to try to trick you. Longball is correct. They just want basic info and may have questions to clarify things. Nothing to worry about.

I went through this 2 years ago. The worker who had my case spoke very good English. Not a problem at all.

When I had a question about something, I e mailed them and usually got a response promptly.

I was very pleased with the experience.

If you are missing some form or another, don't worry. they'll walk you through it. You'll get back payed from when you applied, not from when everything is finished.

Good luck.

thanks i will apply for my ssn next year , would it be better to go back to the US for a month or 2 to do this ???

No trip to the USA is needed. If you are planning a holiday back there then it can be done but the PI SSA offices do a good job.

thanks i will apply for my ssn next year , would it be better to go back to the US for a month or 2 to do this ???

No trip to the USA is needed. If you are planning a holiday back there then it can be done but the PI SSA offices do a good job.

Absolutely correct. A trip just for applying would be a complete waste of money.

The Filipinos/Filipinas I have dealt on the phone with all sound like native English speakers (i.e., bilingual with Filipino accents). No language problem whatsoever.

Be prepared for them to ask some of the same questions you may have provided answers to. In one follow up telephone call we got when my wife was changing her benefits from strictly based on her record to half of mine (which was greater), the interviewer was asking the exact same questions that were on the form she just submitted.

I first asked the interviewer if I could stay on the line in case he asked my wife something she did not understand. He agreed it was a good idea. During the interview, I politely interrupted and I asked him if he knew all his questions were in the form she had submitted in case it was wasting his time. He replied very nicely that he knew that but it was just the way they did it.

So the interview went smoothly on.

As others have recommended, have everything you have submitted, all forms and records, immediately available or the specific information available.

The only recommendation I did not see is to FedEx, DHL, or some other "overnight" express mail your forms to the PI. Going through the embassy/consulate means that it is unregistered, enters the military mail system, may go to Guam for consolidation, may go who knows where else before getting to a distribution center with routing back to the PI. In the meantime, you have no idea where your paperwork is and when and if it was ever delivered. I like having the online tracking ability and knowing that the package I sent 2 days ago was delivered and signed for this morning by J. Doe in person!