Thai Government Gives Nod For Booze Ad Rules

webfact

Nod for booze ad rules

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet yesterday approved draft ministerial regulations for alcohol advertising, allowing logos of alcoholic beverages to appear in television and print media.

Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said the new regulations conform to the Alcohol Beverages Control Act, which prohibits the showing of an alcoholic product's image or packaging in any advertisement.

The ad must convey a useful message promoting social values, worthwhile knowledge or cultural enhancement. Alcohol advertising was not about persuading people to drink, he said.

For print media, the size of alcoholic beverage logos, as well as corporate and manufacturer's logos, must not exceed 5 per cent of the total ad space. The ads cannot appear on front and back pages, centrefolds or wrap-arounds.

The logos must be printed along with messages warning about booze consumption.

For television and video commercials, the size of the logos must not exceed 5 per cent of the total advertising space.

The presentation of logos must not continue for more than 5 per cent of the total commercial time or a maximum of two seconds.

The logos can only be aired from 10pm-5am and at the end of the commercial.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-24

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Not going so far as removing censorship of alcohol on TV prog's though. The pixelated areas where booze or cig's are shown is hilarious. I loved how they 'blurred' the Chang advertising hording behind the goal so nobody saw if they scored. Was that alcohol or football censorship, I prefer the latter :)

The ad must convey a useful message promoting social values, worthwhile knowledge or cultural enhancement. Alcohol advertising was not about persuading people to drink, he said.

Sometimes the subtle ads work best. You see a classroom full of orphans all in their new uniforms with new text books and photogenic teacher - all paid for by sponsorships from Singha or Chang.

The message being - if you don't drink our booze you'll be depriving these kids of a future. Get wrecked for the kids, you know it makes sense.

slightly off topic!, but i can never uderstand how the young thai girl(forget her name) that won the junior girls wimbledon singles title was allowed to compete in the competition. whislt wearing the singha logo on her clothing, i couldnt beleive that her carers, family, coach and the lawn tennis assocation let her wear a logo thats an advertisment for a company that manufacturs beer. in a competetion that most of the competitors are under the legal age of 18 years.

slightly off topic!, but i can never uderstand how the young thai girl(forget her name) that won the junior girls wimbledon singles title was allowed to compete in the competition. whislt wearing the singha logo on her clothing, i couldnt beleive that her carers, family, coach and the lawn tennis assocation let her wear a logo thats an advertisment for a company that manufacturs beer. in a competetion that most of the competitors are under the legal age of 18 years.

Have you ever looked at the T-shirts that under age girls walk around Bangkok wearing? How many parents know or care about what their daughters are wearing? At least in your example they are getting some money out of it.