Solicitor's Charges For Visa's

There seems to be a big variance in charges for visa's between Bangkok and Phuket, We are shifting to Phuket to retire and want to get our retirement visa when we get there.

Any know of a reasonable priced solicitor in Phuket for getting retirement visa's??

Also anyone know what PK international law is like in Phuket?

Dont believe there is any variance on the price of a visa between BKK and Phuket.....the visa fee is the same, its when you take a lawyer on to do it, is where the cost variation comes..ie lawyers fees.

As others have stated, why dont you do it yourself

Its too easy; do it yourself. The first time may seem daunting but its a smooth process as long as you've got the paperwork required, and you can get that information on Thai visa.

The cost is 1,900 baht if you arrive on a non immigrant visa entry - an extra 2,000 baht if you have to convert to a non immigrant entry inside Thailand.

You want an extension of stay (not a visa) for retirement. You fill out a TM.7 form and attach 4x6cm photo, provide proof of 800k in bank two months/letter from bank of account balance or letter from your Embassy of income of 65k per month (Embassy normally issues with change for notary service). You should have copies of passport data/entry/visa pages and departure card as well as bank passbook if using deposit method. They may ask for some proof of where you stay (lease/receipts/mail/bills or such) and a map to location (hand drawn as you supply a store is OK). You visit before a 90 day entry expires but during last 30 days or if have to convert to non immigrant it may require a trip to Bangkok with 21 days remaining or more on permitted to stay.

It is really very, very easy.

To the OP,

It's easily to do the retirement visa yourself (it really is). Instead of spending the money on a solicitor who is still going to have to get you to provide/accomplish some of the simple paperwork/legwork, just make a donation to your favorite charity. This way you still get your visa and you help a charity out--you sure don't need to help the solicitor by giving him a good chunk of money for a simple action. Cheers,

The cost is 1,900 baht if you arrive on a non immigrant visa entry - an extra 2,000 baht if you have to convert to a non immigrant entry inside Thailand.

You want an extension of stay (not a visa) for retirement. You fill out a TM.7 form and attach 4x6cm photo, provide proof of 800k in bank two months/letter from bank of account balance or letter from your Embassy of income of 65k per month (Embassy normally issues with change for notary service). You should have copies of passport data/entry/visa pages and departure card as well as bank passbook if using deposit method. They may ask for some proof of where you stay (lease/receipts/mail/bills or such) and a map to location (hand drawn as you supply a store is OK). You visit before a 90 day entry expires but during last 30 days or if have to convert to non immigrant it may require a trip to Bangkok with 21 days remaining or more on permitted to stay.

I was going to get my visa's in NZ, O-A retirement for my self and a dependent visa for my wife, I have emailed solicitors in Thailand and have been told that no problems with the dependent visa for my wife but the NZ Thai embassy did not seem to know what I was talking about regarding the dependent visa

My problem now is we decided to get a 60 day visa and get the visa's when we get there I don't mind if we have to do it our self, But for the first time we thought because I want a dependent visa for my wife we thought a solicitor may be best and the reason for the dependent visa is I only need 800 000 BAHT for both of us this has been confirmed by a Thai solicitor .

The problem we have now is we have got our 60 day visa and are ready to go and to get the visa's we had to send our air tickets passports etc. so we thought the visa's would be stamped from the day we arrive,, But no they have put the start date from the day they received the application so that means we have already lost 3 weeks of our 60 day already, I know we can get a 30 day extension we are there, But we still have open a bank acc. transfer the money to a Thai bank and then put our application in, Finger's crossed

The problem we have now is we have got our 60 day visa and are ready to go and to get the visa's we had to send our air tickets passports etc. so we thought the visa's would be stamped from the day we arrive,, But no they have put the start date from the day they received the application so that means we have already lost 3 weeks of our 60 day already, I know we can get a 30 day extension we are there, But we still have open a bank acc. transfer the money to a Thai bank and then put our application in, Finger's crossed

Your Tourist Visas are valid from the date they are issued.

When you enter Thailand you will be given a stay of 60 days. You do not lose anything.

This 60 days can be extended by a further 30 days. So from your day of arrival you will have 90 days to sort it all out. Open the ban acc and deposit the money then go and have a chat with Immigration.

It would have been easier to have applied for a Non Imm O Visa in NZ.

It now means that you have to change your Tourist Visa to a Non Imm O Visa at Immigration before you can apply for the Retirement Extension.

This is the Police Order that deals with extensions of stay.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70477-...ember-2008.html

It is 2.22 for you and 2.20 for your Wife.

Your Tourist Visas are valid from the date they are issued.

When you enter Thailand you will be given a stay of 60 days. You do not lose anything.

This 60 days can be extended by a further 30 days. So from your day of arrival you will have 90 days to sort it all out. Open the ban acc and deposit the money then go and have a chat with Immigration.

It would have been easier to have applied for a Non Imm O Visa in NZ.

It now means that you have to change your Tourist Visa to a Non Imm O Visa at Immigration before you can apply for the Retirement Extension.

This is the Police Order that deals with extensions of stay.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70477-...ember-2008.html

It is 2.22 for you and 2.20 for your Wife.

Thanks for the good news regarding the 60 day visa's, As for getting our retirement visa's I know it's going to be a pain in the butt, That was the reason for thinking about a solicitor they know all the short cuts it's just that some are charging over 20000 Baht each, If I could find someone reliable I would even go to Bangkok if I had to but there may be someone in Phuket

Thanks for the good news regarding the 60 day visa's, As for getting our retirement visa's I know it's going to be a pain in the butt, That was the reason for thinking about a solicitor they know all the short cuts it's just that some are charging over 20000 Baht each, If I could find someone reliable I would even go to Bangkok if I had to but there may be someone in Phuket

If you are living in Phuket you have to apply there. Have a chat with Phuket Immigration. They will tell you what to do.

It all looks more complicated than it really is .

Thank Lopburi, Today I just learn one extra thing, hard copy of your home map could be usefull to bring along.

Could you tell me if I will save any time / trips going through a solicitor, agree on fees (1900 baht) and send him all papers, and still i will be able to kick something to Pid’s charity of choice....

I would like to go through the income way (embassy letter), I am planning two trips then, one to the embassy & one to the emigration by myself, NO ?

I have all other papers in order, and my monthly’s income is over the asking 65000 baht / monthly.

Will it saving times to pay for a solicitor?

Am 52 on NON O visa multi entries

I have all other papers in order, and my monthly’s income is over the asking 65000 baht / monthly.

Will it saving times to pay for a solicitor?

Am 52 on NON O visa multi entries

No. All it will do is cost you money.

The Retirement Extension is the easiest one to do.

Get your income letter from the Australian Embassy. Go to Immigration and apply.

They deal with these procedures every day. It is easy.

Agree. A lawyer is not required at all. The only hitch you may have is for your wife - normally that requires a trip outside to a Consulate to obtain a non immigrant O visa entry on the basis of your stamped extension of stay for retirement and then obtain the matching extension of stay later. Not sure if that can be done in-house or not.

If they were available single entry non immigrant O visas would have been the best for you to start with. But as we have said it is easy and done all the time so just ask - as long as you listen politely they will try to explain exactly what is required - and it is not much.

Thank both of you

No wife, i am on Non immigrant visa / category O / multiple journeys / visa run due 03 May / utilised before 11 August 2010

How long the letter from the Australian Embassy valid for ?

Do you think to transfer few thousand dollars to Thai bank account before hand is better? The income letter will be over the requirement, just for good will.

Edited by simcity

Thank both of you

No wife, i am on Non immigrant visa / category O / multiple journeys / visa run due 03 May / utilised before 11 August 2010

How long the letter from the Australian Embassy valid for ?

Do you think to transfer few thousand dollars to Thai bank account before hand is better? The income letter will be over the requirement, just for good will.

This kind of declarations you should not apply to early for, a few weeks old is good enough. Most immigraiton offices will insist on a new one every year

Having a Thai bankaccount is always usefull. Some immigration offices want to see an account with some money in it, 20,000 baht should be enough. It is more that they want to see that you (can) spend some money. For that just take the bankbook with you, in case they ask. In general you don't give them information/papers they don't ask for.

The opening post says that he is moving to retire i.e. he is not yet retired. So he needs a retirement visa not an extension.

I agree with other posters. Get a list of what is needed from Immigration and d.i.y.

Immigratio are very helpful if you have queries.

caf

As long as the Op is over 50 at the date of application, is not working and can meet financial requirements he can obtain extension of stay based on retirement at Thai immigration. He does not need a retirement visa from home consulate. Single entry Non-O visa would have been easiest way to obtain extension of stay, but he has tourist visa and is do-able from that - but will need to go through conversion process from tourist visa to Non-O visa to extension of stay at Thai immigration.

As long as the Op is over 50 at the date of application, is not working and can meet financial requirements he can obtain extension of stay based on retirement at Thai immigration. He does not need a retirement visa from home consulate. Single entry Non-O visa would have been easiest way to obtain extension of stay, but he has tourist visa and is do-able from that - but will need to go through conversion process from tourist visa to Non-O visa to extension of stay at Thai immigration.

"he can obtain extension of stay based on retirement at Thai immigration."

he has to obtain a retirement visa first, then annually he can apply for am extention of stay

some posts here are not clear. he may be better going to immigration and discuss with them.

…he has to obtain a retirement visa first, then annually he can apply for am extention of stay…

Wrong.

He does not have to go to a Thai consulate to get a retirement visa first. All he has to is go to his local immigration office in Thailand and he can get everything done there.

--

Maestro

I was going to get my visa's in NZ, O-A retirement for my self and a dependent visa for my wife, I have emailed solicitors in Thailand and have been told that no problems with the dependent visa for my wife but the NZ Thai embassy did not seem to know what I was talking about regarding the dependent visa…

I have a feeling that you and your solicitor in Thailand were talking at cross purposes. You were talking about a visa, which you get from a Thai consulate. Your solicitor was talking about an extension of stay, which you get from your local immigration office in Thailand once you arrive there. The solicitor probably knows nothing about getting a visa from a consulate.

In Thailand, you will get annual extensions of stay for the reason of retirement, your wife will get them for the reason of being your dependent. Remember, these are extensions of stay, not visas. This is why the consular section of Thai embassy in New Zealand knew nothing about a “dependent visa”.

--

Maestro

I was going to get my visa's in NZ, O-A retirement for my self and a dependent visa for my wife, I have emailed solicitors in Thailand and have been told that no problems with the dependent visa for my wife but the NZ Thai embassy did not seem to know what I was talking about regarding the dependent visa…

I have a feeling that you and your solicitor in Thailand were talking at cross purposes. You were talking about a visa, which you get from a Thai consulate. Your solicitor was talking about an extension of stay, which you get from your local immigration office in Thailand once you arrive there. The solicitor probably knows nothing about getting a visa from a consulate.

In Thailand, you will get annual extensions of stay for the reason of retirement, your wife will get them for the reason of being your dependent. Remember, these are extensions of stay, not visas. This is why the consular section of Thai embassy in New Zealand knew nothing about a "dependent visa".

--

Maestro

Thanks Maestro,

If I go back to the start, Yes I am over 55 and so is my wife, due to the stuff up we will be arriving with 60 day visa's, So what you are saying is some time after arrive [arrive 9th april] I should go to the immigration Dept and apply for a extention of stay?, Or a O-A retirement visa?, Transfering The 800.000 BHT in a Thai bank will not be a problem if I can open a bank acc.

How long will the process take for the extention of stay be granted?

Thanks for your help

Thanks Maestro,

If I go back to the start, Yes I am over 55 and so is my wife, due to the stuff up we will be arriving with 60 day visa's, So what you are saying is some time after arrive [arrive 9th april] I should go to the immigration Dept and apply for a extention of stay?, Or a O-A retirement visa?, Transfering The 800.000 BHT in a Thai bank will not be a problem if I can open a bank acc.

Thanks for your help

You go to Immigration apply for a change of Visa from Tourist to Non Imm O on the grounds of retirement. With this Non Imm O Visa you can then apply for the 12 month extension for retirement. Usually there will be 60 days between each step. This will allow your money to be in the bank for 2 months. The final application is an instant decision.

They may send you to Bangkok for the change of Visa.

Once you have your extension your Wife can then apply as your dependent.

She will also have to start with a Non Imm O Visa and may well have to visit a Thai Consulate in a neigbouring country to apply for it.

You really need to speak to Immigration as soon as you arrive as only they will know their own local policy.

Also just after you arrive there is the long Sonkran holiday so Immigration and banks will be closed for a few days. Probably 13th 14th 15th.

Thanks Maestro,

Thanks for your help

You go to Immigration apply for a change of Visa from Tourist to Non Imm O on the grounds of retirement. With this Non Imm O Visa you can then apply for the 12 month extension for retirement. Usually there will be 60 days between each step. This will allow your money to be in the bank for 2 months. The final application is an instant decision.

They may send you to Bangkok for the change of Visa.

Once you have your extension your Wife can then apply as your dependent.

She will also have to start with a Non Imm O Visa and may well have to visit a Thai Consulate in a neigbouring country to apply for it.

You really need to speak to Immigration as soon as you arrive as only they will know their own local policy.

Also just after you arrive there is the long Sonkran holiday so Immigration and banks will be closed for a few days. Probably 13th 14th 15th.

I have to say Many thanks for every one's help......I think Mrs minefield may sleep better now, If you are in phuket come down to Kellys hotel private bar and the beers is on us Graham & Rose-Marie

Thank Lopburi, Today I just learn one extra thing, hard copy of your home map could be usefull to bring along.

1. Could you tell me if I will save any time / trips going through a solicitor, agree on fees (1900 baht) and send him all papers, and still i will be able to kick something to Pid’s charity of choice....

I would like to go through the income way (embassy letter), I am planning two trips then, one to the embassy & one to the emigration by myself, NO ?

2. Will it saving times to pay for a solicitor? Am 52 on NON O visa multi entries

1. no solicitor will work for 1,900 Baht. these are the official fees. "package deals" are available at an initial cost of 20k Baht (per person) which includes multiple exit-reentry visa, "residence letter" (necessary for driver's license or car registration) and lack of seasoned 800k in bank (does not apply when monthly income is used) as well as taking care of the 90 day reporting. subsequent renewals are much cheaper (approximately half the afore mentioned fees).

2. it won't save too much time but some people are willing to pay these fees to avoid any hassles.

facit: if you want to save a bundle, do it yourself. no rocket science involved.

What is a residence letter if you do not rent from someone? But lodge free at a friend place? Been there for 12 years (no i am not s sucker, we have other arrangement)

Is this letter just type or need to be on a special form?

I think i only have the UBC (true vision) bill on my name

One note, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But when I went to open a bank account here in Phuket, they wanted to see a work permit. I said I have a one year OA retirement visa, so I'm not allowed to work. After some discussion amongst themselves, they opened an account for me, saving only. For a checking account it seems you need to own a business. For a credit card you need to deposit the amount of your "credit line" in a separate account. This happened at both Siam Commercial Bank as well as Bangkok Bank. Before I turned 50, I was on a tourist visa and they said I couldn't open a bank account on that type of visa. That was about five years ago though, maybe things have changed...