I'm Still In Dubai : Thaksin

webfact

PRO-THAKSIN RALLIES

I'm still in Dubai : Thaksin

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_1321.jpg

Chaturon

BANGKOK: -- Veteran politician Chaturon Chaisang last night echoed the call by protesting red shirts and fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra for Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to dissolve the House of Representatives to make way for fresh elections.

Chaturon, former acting leader of the Thai Rak Thai Party, said that although the red shirts and their democracy-loving sympathisers had many demands for this government, all of them boil down to House dissolution, which he expected to bring about positive changes for the country.

He said the red shirts and their supporters wanted Abhisit to step down and his Democrat Party to be out of power. They wanted the constitution of 1997 to be reinstated and they wanted a democracy in which ordinary people, not the elite, have the final say. They wanted a justice system that has no double standards and they wanted the country to progress further and away from a outdated system ruled by the Democrat Party and the elite, he said.

"Prime Minister Abhisit said the red shirts do not represent the majority of the country. So the red shirts tell him to dissolve the House and we'll find out about it. This is a way out for the country," Chaturon said during his one-hour address given to the red shirts' rally on Rajdamnoen Avenue .

He added that the red shirts consist of not only grassroots people but also the middle class and academics who all are waiting to "give the Democrat Party some lesson" during the next general elections.

Deputy House Speaker Apiwan Wiriyachai, who is from the opposition Pheu Thai Party, also appeared on stage during the protest. He told the prime minister to remove soldiers out of the Parliament or he would join the red shirts' protest every day.

Security forces were dispatched to guard the Parliament compound ahead of House meetings today and tomorrow.

Dozens of other Pheu Thai MPs also appeared on stage during last night's protest, many of them for the first time since the red shirts began their latest rally last Friday. Most of the politicians just introduced themselves to the protesters without giving any speech.

Thaksin tweeted last night, saying he is still not well, has a sore throat and won't phone-in tonight. In his latest Twitter message, he denied he had left Dubai. Thaksin has not held a phone-in since Monday because of his throat.

Pheu Thai Party leader Yongyuth Wichaidit said yesterday he was about to arrange a series of meetings with coalition parties in order to push for the dissolution of Parliament.

"Under the prevailing circumstances, the government can no longer administer the country, hence the reason to return its mandate to the people," he said.

Yongyuth said his upcoming efforts should not be construed as aiming to lure junior coalition parties to defect from the Democrats and form a Pheu Thai-led coalition.

Led by their leader Weng Tojirakarn yesterday, the red shirts rode in a convoy of 1,000 motorcycles and cars to distribute more than half a million stickers around Bangkok calling for the dissolution of Parliament.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-24

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Reminds of the new-age guru who was approached by two guys. The first guy says, "hey man, I haven't eaten in a week, I'm so miserable and hungry, please give me some money to go buy some food."

A few minutes later, the second guy shows up, "Hey swami, I haven't eaten in a week. I'm sticking with my cleansing fast and I feel great!"

Interesting how the same issue (not eating, as in the story above) or in the case of the political debate: whether or not the current government is on solid ground. - the same issue can be seen in such different ways by different factions. One faction, as mentioned in the OP, is Thaksin and his supporters who see the government as faltering and in need of dissolution. The other faction, namely; the Abhisit government and his supporters, feel secure in their position and don't see a need to dissolve parliament.

Well, I'm subjective about all this, and hope the Red rally will continue to peter out, and the current 'leaders' can get to doing the business of governing - without the constant wheedling by 'you know who' and his paid followers.

Elections will come eventually. - though not as soon as certain desperate people hope they will.

Still in Dubai ???? , From reading what was said last I thought he was expelled from Dubai , Not so ??? ,

In regards to demands from Reds , as a election has to happen by end of next year , surely a compromise election in say 10-12 months is best solution for country, gives time for Government to run its policy and gets reds of the streets and economy back to normal .

I think big problem is not election , but results , whoever wins will be accused of running a dirty campaign ,so back to street demonstrations again.

All it proves is that the Thai Foreign Ministry has little or no pull on pretty much anything that Thaksin gets up to these days.

They pulled most of the strings they had to get him out of the UK. For which I expect Milliband to receive handsomely from Tesco once he is out of government.

The more important issue is it wouldn't matter where the hel_l he was if they prevented him from broadcasting in to the country. They supposedly spend millions a year to prevent me reading about what I would like and protect the reputation of someone who is beyond reproach, they block out cigarettes on TV to save me, but a convicted felon is free to make speeches encouraging insurrection. One of the most politically repressive countries in the world controls the satellites, yet they don't ask for any assistance.

Now if that isn't a TIT situation please someone else find a better one.

The demands listed are pretty much what I expected. Dissolution of the house, and a return to the 1997 Constitution which gives more freedom for vote buying. I'm surprised that Chaturon didn't mention the exoneration demands for Thaksin as well.

Perhaps the dissolution of the house will allow enough fluidity that Thaksin would feel that he could enter the country without being arrested and thrown in jail. The time demands for Thaksin are getting close, he has stated that he, his wife, and his children will file appeals towards the supreme court case. The case was decided on February 26, and the courts only allow for a one month window of appeal, but the applicants must come in person. It's March 24th today, that gives him two days.

Is the reason he isn't speaking because he doesn't want anyone to know that he might be somewhere closer than we think? All of these disruptions over the past two weeks have been about the money in the court case, but that window is closing fast. I'm curious what will happen over the next couple of days...

Edited by Meridian007

Chaturon just wants back at the controls of patronage,

and will say most anything he thinks might make it happen.

This is about ousting the current administration and putting

Thaksins puppets back into power.

Forget the buzz words and veneer of respectability, it is nothing more than

an attempted power grab through street pressure tactics.

I reckon the UAE government told him to chill out or leave. So he left, made a few phone-ins, and came back. He probably can't do phone-ins from Dubai without risking his visa and so has a sore throat for the moment. There is of course the Cambodia possibility, but that is pure speculation.

The more important issue is it wouldn't matter where the hel_l he was if they prevented him from broadcasting in to the country. They supposedly spend millions a year to prevent me reading about what I would like and protect the reputation of someone who is beyond reproach, they block out cigarettes on TV to save me, but a convicted felon is free to make speeches encouraging insurrection.

Its pretty easy to block a popular website. Not so much random inbound traffic without knowing ahead of time where its coming from. And things like Tor proxy's and VPN's make it really hard to tell the actual source of traffic. Somehow the government would need to know the IP address (and/or proxy) used to send his video chats in order to block it.

The more important issue is it wouldn't matter where the hel_l he was if they prevented him from broadcasting in to the country. They supposedly spend millions a year to prevent me reading about what I would like and protect the reputation of someone who is beyond reproach, they block out cigarettes on TV to save me, but a convicted felon is free to make speeches encouraging insurrection.

Its pretty easy to block a popular website. Not so much random inbound traffic without knowing ahead of time where its coming from. And things like Tor proxy's and VPN's make it really hard to tell the actual source of traffic. Somehow the government would need to know the IP address (and/or proxy) used to send his video chats in order to block it.

So they are willing to pay huge money largely for an exercise in futility to prevent their own people from reading and seeing what they want, but they technologically can't stop Thaksin's broadcast. So 65mn must be protected from freely surfing the web, but insurrection is ok. IPSO Facto, if there was money in stopping Thaksin's broadcast they would.

As much as I respect your knowledge, this is definitely a case of where there is a will there is a way. The army gets it's knickers i a twist that Singapore can now listen to their conversations, so national security is at risk, but they can't stop a national security threat going on infront of their eyes.

All it proves is that the Thai Foreign Ministry has little or no pull on pretty much anything that Thaksin gets up to these days.

They pulled most of the strings they had to get him out of the UK. For which I expect Milliband to receive handsomely from Tesco once he is out of government.

The more important issue is it wouldn't matter where the hel_l he was if they prevented him from broadcasting in to the country. They supposedly spend millions a year to prevent me reading about what I would like and protect the reputation of someone who is beyond reproach, they block out cigarettes on TV to save me, but a convicted felon is free to make speeches encouraging insurrection. One of the most politically repressive countries in the world controls the satellites, yet they don't ask for any assistance.

All of that is true, but the sun is shining, the girlfriends looking good,and my chicken and somtan that I'm eating now is delicious................ TIT!................. and dont anyone change it!

So they are willing to pay huge money largely for an exercise in futility to prevent their own people from reading and seeing what they want, but they technologically can't stop Thaksin's broadcast. So 65mn must be protected from freely surfing the web, but insurrection is ok. IPSO Facto, if there was money in stopping Thaksin's broadcast they would.

As much as I respect your knowledge, this is definitely a case of where there is a will there is a way. The army gets it's knickers i a twist that Singapore can now listen to their conversations, so national security is at risk, but they can't stop a national security threat going on infront of their eyes.

I suspect your missing the point. PM Abhisit is quite strong about freedom of speech / respecting everyboys right to freedom of speech.

Thaksin has not held a phone-in since Monday because of his throat.

lets hope its a permanent problem

Expects his followers (read manipulated and ruthlessly used poor people) to ensure lots of hardship but he's too sick to talk, he's got a sore throat.

Sounds rather odd to me. He's clearly desperate to try to urgently manipulate and stir up his followers and fill them with half truths and hatred, but suddenly 'he's got a sore throat' and can't give his speech.

Do you believe he's got a sore throat?

I don't. About as genuine and honest as an alligator.

Edited by scorecard

The demands listed are pretty much what I expected. Dissolution of the house, and a return to the 1997 Constitution which gives more freedom for vote buying. I'm surprised that Chaturon didn't mention the exoneration demands for Thaksin as well.

Chaturon doesn't have any official position to speak for the PTP or reds, but as the leader of the northeastern MPs for the Puea Thai Party, Thaksin's younger brother Payap Shinawatra has offered to mediate talks between his brother and Abhisit, but with these pre-conditions:

1. Thaksin must not be arrested upon his return to Thailand

2. Thaksin must be allowed to leave the country again if he wishes

All of that is true, but the sun is shining, the girlfriends looking good,and my chicken and somtan that I'm eating now is delicious................ TIT!................. and dont anyone change it!

hahah so true. If everything in Thailand was fixed to Farang standards, it would be just like the countries we all left and then we would have to find another country to live in.

Chaturon doesn't have any official position to speak for the PTP or reds, but as the leader of the northeastern MPs for the Puea Thai Party, Thaksin's younger brother Payap Shinawatra has offered to mediate talks between his brother and Abhisit, but with these pre-conditions:

If he keeps on promoting insurection and violence (it was in a BBC report) he will not be arrested .

Instead he will be put on an helicopter and dropped over the gulf of Thailand without a parachute .

Anyway his return to Thailand is no longer an option (see the thread on Khun Anand)

Thaksin has been sentanced to 2 years, by the courts, and has a number of other cases outstanding, which are prevented from proceeding, by his having absconded while watching the Olympics.

How can anyone on the Red-Shirt side expect him to avoid arrest, if he returns, don't they think the justice-system means anything ? And how can they possibly expect him, to be trusted not to abscond again, when he has already done it once ?

Thaksin does not stand outside the law, however much he might wish/need to, that's the whole point. :)

Thaksin has not held a phone-in since Monday because of his throat.

lets hope its a permanent problem

Lets hope it spreads to the rest of his body, followed by a state of rigamortis.

This :D is So :) .

:D Thaksin could have a doctor 24/7 like michael Jackson and but a hospital. Don't count thaksin out.

Actually the red shirted supporters do have the majority in Thailand. Defecting indecent politicians without any form of self respect have betrayed the voters. But if Abhisit is so sure of his own bull. than there should be no problem for him to become a respected and chosen prime minister. I believe however that all claims of this government that come in the form of numbers or polls are simply bogus. That is why he knows deep down that he will be butchered by the opposition in the next elections. Given the fact that the establishment need some more time to cash in, they try to hold off elections as long as possible. Contrary to abhisit, Thaksin was more than once elected.