Wondering Why So Many Farang Drink And Drive In Thailand

robblok

This thread came home to me today while driving home. I was on a somewhat narrow soi with oncoming traffic. Watching that traffic, I was totally surprised when a young boy of maybe 12 or so, riding a bike on the sidewalk alongside and talking to some other boys who were walking, suddenly jumped his bike off the curb and into my path. Instincts took over as I slammed on my brakes. I couldn't swerve because of the opposing traffic, so all I could do was try to stop, which luckily I did with literally 6 inches to spare.

To be honest, I really wasn't even aware of what I was doing. It was all reaction. Sure, I was already watching to oncoming traffic, but I hadn't a thought for the boy other than realizing that he was there. After getting my heart rate back down, I thought of this thread. Even if I had had only one drink before getting in the car, would my reactions have still been fast enough to avoid hitting him? I am not so sure they would have been.

Funny you should say that, same thing happened to me a few days ago when some little scrote popped outside of a parked car in front of me cycling down the wrong side of the road.... nearly shat myself .... blame the parents really :)

Remember running out in front of an ice cream van when I was 6 years old and a car braking and just touching me and no more. To say the guy driving was more shook up than me would be an understatement.

Luckily for me he had slowed down as he had noticed the van and knew kids were around....

Drinking and driving is for losers simple.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, in a country with as developed a wellfare state as Thailand, with more or less free medical care, and for all I know some safety net for orphans, it is prudent of the government to protect its tax base and reduce its welfare burden by reducing the risk that idiots will kill themselves. I know its fighting against Darwinism, but it must be distressing for paramedics and doctors to spend so much time scooping brains into a pail... and it must upset the children and wives too.

Are you joking or just drunk??? :)

I lost my high school g/f to a drunk driver. As a volunteer emergency medical technician, 100% of the traffic fatalities to which I rode were caused by drunk drivers, even if the person killed was not drunk. So call me a sermonizer, but pardon me if I give no countenance to drunk drivers.

I dam_n Thai drunk drivers and expat drunk drivers alike. But the OP's question concerning expat drunk drivers is valid. Most of us come from countries where drunk driving is both a legal and social bugaboo. So why is it OK for someone who would not drive drunk in his or her home country feel free to do it here?

It is not racists, implied or otherwise, to write that expats "know better." An Issan rice farmer "knows better" than a Des Moines insurance salesman than to flood his fields too much or too little. It all depends on to what we have been introduced. And the emphasis against drunk driving are far greater in most western nations and Japan than what is here. Enforcement certainly is more lax here.

Frankly, it is criminal to drive while drunk, whether you get caught or not. Sure, you can probably have a beer and then drive the 3 km to your home without a problem. But when that small child darts unexpectedly in front of you, would you really be able to react with the same degree of effectiveness to avoid that child had you been completely sober?

The argument that it costs less to pay off a cop than to take a tuk-tuk is specious. The reason we should not drive drunk is not to avoid a hefty fine, it is to not kill someone. Period.

So you have NEVER drank and drove over the legal limit before ?

I lost my high school g/f to a drunk driver. As a volunteer emergency medical technician, 100% of the traffic fatalities to which I rode were caused by drunk drivers, even if the person killed was not drunk. So call me a sermonizer, but pardon me if I give no countenance to drunk drivers.

I dam_n Thai drunk drivers and expat drunk drivers alike. But the OP's question concerning expat drunk drivers is valid. Most of us come from countries where drunk driving is both a legal and social bugaboo. So why is it OK for someone who would not drive drunk in his or her home country feel free to do it here?

It is not racists, implied or otherwise, to write that expats "know better." An Issan rice farmer "knows better" than a Des Moines insurance salesman than to flood his fields too much or too little. It all depends on to what we have been introduced. And the emphasis against drunk driving are far greater in most western nations and Japan than what is here. Enforcement certainly is more lax here.

Frankly, it is criminal to drive while drunk, whether you get caught or not. Sure, you can probably have a beer and then drive the 3 km to your home without a problem. But when that small child darts unexpectedly in front of you, would you really be able to react with the same degree of effectiveness to avoid that child had you been completely sober?

The argument that it costs less to pay off a cop than to take a tuk-tuk is specious. The reason we should not drive drunk is not to avoid a hefty fine, it is to not kill someone. Period.

If a child runs onto a road into traffic then those parents are not fit to raise that child and they should lose custody.

This thread came home to me today while driving home. I was on a somewhat narrow soi with oncoming traffic. Watching that traffic, I was totally surprised when a young boy of maybe 12 or so, riding a bike on the sidewalk alongside and talking to some other boys who were walking, suddenly jumped his bike off the curb and into my path. Instincts took over as I slammed on my brakes. I couldn't swerve because of the opposing traffic, so all I could do was try to stop, which luckily I did with literally 6 inches to spare.

To be honest, I really wasn't even aware of what I was doing. It was all reaction. Sure, I was already watching to oncoming traffic, but I hadn't a thought for the boy other than realizing that he was there. After getting my heart rate back down, I thought of this thread. Even if I had had only one drink before getting in the car, would my reactions have still been fast enough to avoid hitting him? I am not so sure they would have been.

Thats exactly right bonobo and thats what makes sokals earlier statements so incorrect. There has been research done and it has been determined that 'all people' are affected to some extent by alcohol after only 1 alcoholic beverage. Simple things like being tired can affect a persons reaction time, small amounts of alcohol do exactly the same.

Drink and Drive = Idiot.

Thats exactly right bonobo and thats what makes sokals earlier statements so incorrect. There has been research done and it has been determined that 'all people' are affected to some extent by alcohol after only 1 alcoholic beverage. Simple things like being tired can affect a persons reaction time, small amounts of alcohol do exactly the same.

Drink and Drive = Idiot.

I have still not seen one anti drunk driving crusader say that they have NEVER drank and drove before.............

Drink and Drive = Idiot.

I have still not seen one anti drunk driving crusader say that they have NEVER drank and drove before.............

I don't drink and drive. I don't drink :)

So you have NEVER drank and drove over the legal limit before ?

That is correct.  I have never done that.

I spent too much time in a local tavern once and had more than I should have.  I told my buddy I couldn't drive, so we slept in the car until morning in the tavern parking lot.  A cop came around while it was still dark and tapped on my window, woke me up, and asked me what I was doing.  I told him we had a little too much to drink to drive, and he said "OK" and left.

If you ask me, spending the night sleeping in my car was a far better option than risking someone else, or myself, for that matter, by driving home.  My bed in my house was just not worth it. 

If a child runs onto a road into traffic then those parents are not fit to raise that child and they should lose custody.

Ah, so it is OK to kill them with your car, then.  And it is the parents' fault, not yours.  I understand it all now.

8>< NESTED QUOTES DELETED ><8

Lots of us act like idiots when we're drinking. But some of us are not proud of it. And some of us are sensible when we sober up.

More of a worry is the people that are dead or injured when we sober up...

I've drank and drove before loads of times; I've drank and drove after much less often...(maybe would be more clear as "drove before and drank...")

Morning after driving (or afternoon after) drinking is my greatest sin. Just because I do it sometimes doesn't make it big, or clever.

SC

Drink and Drive = Idiot.

I have never driven after having more than one drink in my entire life, except for once when I had three over a four hour period.  I have never driven over the legally established limit.

But so what?  What if I had driven while drunk?  Would that make my statements incorrect?  Isn't it possible that I did wrong, but now realize it.  Maybe I killed someone and am now a reformed driver? Maybe I had a close call and realized how stupid that was.  Your logic escapes me.

A convicted murderer can still be believed when he or she says murder is wrong.  In fact, it might be a little more telling in that case.  It is easy for me to say don't drink and drive.  I have a glass of wine maybe once every month or two.  I have been drunk maybe once in the last five years or so.  So it might carry more weight is someone who does regularly drink categorically states that drinking and driving is criminal.

(And "anti drunk driving crusader?"   Are you kidding me?   Might as well have "anti-murder crusaders," or "anti-child prostitution crusaders."  It is hard to belittle people who argue against things which are universally accepted as wrong.)

Unfortunately, in a country with as developed a wellfare state as Thailand, with more or less free medical care, and for all I know some safety net for orphans, it is prudent of the government to protect its tax base and reduce its welfare burden by reducing the risk that idiots will kill themselves. I know its fighting against Darwinism, but it must be distressing for paramedics and doctors to spend so much time scooping brains into a pail... and it must upset the children and wives too.

Are you joking or just drunk??? :)

No joke - as many people will tell you, I have very little sense of humour. Even in Thailand, the costs to society of people recklessly endangering themselves exceeds the costs to the individual themselves, and justifies laws to protect the individual, even when the individual does not care about their own life, or cannot understand the risk to which they expose themselves

SC

Drink and Drive = Idiot.

I have never driven after having more than one drink in my entire life, except for once when I had three over a four hour period. I have never driven over the legally established limit.

But so what? What if I had driven while drunk? Would that make my statements incorrect? Isn't it possible that I did wrong, but now realize it. Maybe I killed someone and am now a reformed driver? Maybe I had a close call and realized how stupid that was. Your logic escapes me.

A convicted murderer can still be believed when he or she says murder is wrong. In fact, it might be a little more telling in that case. It is easy for me to say don't drink and drive. I have a glass of wine maybe once every month or two. I have been drunk maybe once in the last five years or so. So it might carry more weight is someone who does regularly drink categorically states that drinking and driving is criminal.

(And "anti drunk driving crusader?" Are you kidding me? Might as well have "anti-murder crusaders," or "anti-child prostitution crusaders." It is hard to belittle people who argue against things which are universally accepted as wrong.)

Allot of people drink and drive and the stats that the crusaders bring up never account for how many successful drivers that are over the legal limit. People are basically aloud to drink and drive in Thailand so if it is as bad in the crusaders mind as they say it is then how could they stand being here ?

8>< SNIP ><8 NESTED POSTS DELETED

Allot of people drink and drive and the stats that the crusaders bring up never account for how many successful drivers that are over the legal limit. People are basically aloud to drink and drive in Thailand so if it is as bad in the crusaders mind as they say it is then how could they stand being here ?

There are a lot of things I don't like in Thailand. But they're not going to bully me into leaving.

Drink-drivers rank along there with the soi dogs and drug dealers, and blocked drains...

And I doubt that there are many crusaders on the forum here, but plenty of people that know right from wrong, and are willing to enter into debate so that others can consider their own position. Sadly, a wasted effort, in this case, it would appear, but education is better than punishment, in my view, and maybe others will benefit from it being a public forum.

I think that you have pretty well summarised up all the arguments in favour of drink-driving, while others have presented the view that it is a dangerous and wicked thing to do. THe gentle reader can make up their own mind.

Thanks for helping everyone to make their point,

SC

There are enough people who have survived a fire fight that does not make it any less dangerous.

Ah, so successful means they haven't killed anyone yet?  People have unprotected sex and don't catch HIV, so does that mean they shouldn't use a condom?  People rob banks and get away with it, so does that mean bank robbery is a good career choice?

I don't like drunk driving anywhere. Does that mean I have to leave Thailand because one foolhardy poster here seems to see nothing wrong with endangering lives of others?  

I don't often call troll, but I honestly cannot see anyone with even only the degree of intelligence needed to string words together to make a sentence actually argue that drunk driving is OK.  So I have to think troll may be an appropriate accusation in this case.  

• 1 month later...
The western world has taken up a trend of demonising those who behave in a way counter to the politically correct.

Drunken driving is a very minor offense IMHO

Very silly post.....glad you think about it that way, now try and tell all those people that have lost loved ones to IDIOT DRUNK DRIVERS.

Thats right, IDIOT DRUNK DRIVERS, NOT SMART DRUNK DRIVERS. I am not talking about driving completely hammered, I am talking about being legally over the limit which is not much. Just take the back roads and drive carefully, no big deal. I am not a 16 year old with bottle of Jack Daniels behind the wheel, those are the guys that kill people.

You could have an accident sober, while driving down the back roads, and a kid runs out in front of you. If you've had a pint or two, who's to say whether you'd have killed them when you're sober? What do you think is an acceptable level of risk for other people's children?

SC

A good few years ago watched a TV program where they tested driving skill deteriation due to drink and reaction time. The obvious happened - the more they drunk the worse they got. The interesting thing was that when they compared age groups, they found that the youngest group (I think 18-25) still had better reaction times when rat arsed than the over 60's group sober! They also degraded far slower as they got drunker. It was an interesting program (it was in the UK) - not seen a ban on sober 60+ drivers there though.

I have driven under the affluence of inkerhol (miss spelling intentional) here I am embarrassed to say - and probably will again. If I am being honest it will be because of two reasons - 1] I can get away with it and so am less concerned and 2] its not so easy to get home after the songtaews go to bed (9pm) without blowing 300 Baht on a tuktuk (probably half my bar bill for that night including a pizza)., Not proud of it - and still think my reaction times, driving ability and general awareness still is far greater than the sober Thais on their bikes: phone at their ear; no helmet on; 4 other people on the bike, two of which are smoking, carrying shopping and/or young children; doing 60kph in the wrong direction on a highway after doing the u-turn backwards across the fast lane. That is certainly not uncommon here! Add to that the fact that many bikes are in bad repair or have been tarted up with super-skinny tyres.

A good few years ago watched a TV program where they tested driving skill deteriation due to drink and reaction time. The obvious happened - the more they drunk the worse they got. The interesting thing was that when they compared age groups, they found that the youngest group (I think 18-25) still had better reaction times when rat arsed than the over 60's group sober! They also degraded far slower as they got drunker. It was an interesting program (it was in the UK) - not seen a ban on sober 60+ drivers there though.

I have driven under the affluence of inkerhol (miss spelling intentional) here I am embarrassed to say - and probably will again. If I am being honest it will be because of two reasons - 1] I can get away with it and so am less concerned and 2] its not so easy to get home after the songtaews go to bed (9pm) without blowing 300 Baht on a tuktuk (probably half my bar bill for that night including a pizza)., Not proud of it - and still think my reaction times, driving ability and general awareness still is far greater than the sober Thais on their bikes: phone at their ear; no helmet on; 4 other people on the bike, two of which are smoking, carrying shopping and/or young children; doing 60kph in the wrong direction on a highway after doing the u-turn backwards across the fast lane. That is certainly not uncommon here! Add to that the fact that many bikes are in bad repair or have been tarted up with super-skinny tyres.

You use the basic im better then others even those sober i wont make mistakes when drunk excuse. Its all fine until you do get into an accident. I really have no pity with drunk drivers if they are caught.. i do pity their victims.

I do understand your financial motive but if you cant pay 300 for a taxi why go out at all.

That is correct. I have never done that.

I spent too much time in a local tavern once and had more than I should have. I told my buddy I couldn't drive, so we slept in the car until morning in the tavern parking lot. A cop came around while it was still dark and tapped on my window, woke me up, and asked me what I was doing. I told him we had a little too much to drink to drive, and he said "OK" and left.

If you ask me, spending the night sleeping in my car was a far better option than risking someone else, or myself, for that matter, by driving home. My bed in my house was just not worth it.

If you'd done that in England you'd have lost your license for a year for being drunk in charge of a vehicle.

If you'd done that in England you'd have lost your license for a year for being drunk in charge of a vehicle.
I used to live in England. In terms of drink and drive, England is by far the worst country I have ever experienced. And I am not talking "slightly over the limit", I'm talking "schmammered beyond belief". I have never seen so many peoplo with utter and complete disrespect to law and regulations. No one ever got caught.

I used to live in England. In terms of drink and drive, England is by far the worst country I have ever experienced. And I am not talking "slightly over the limit", I'm talking "schmammered beyond belief". I have never seen so many peoplo with utter and complete disrespect to law and regulations. No one ever got caught.

You are talking utter rubbish. many people get caught and they loose the license. Most people do respect the law in UK and don't drink and drive. Don't know where you lived and what social circle did you joined.

You are talking utter rubbish. many people get caught and they loose the license. Most people do respect the law in UK and don't drink and drive. Don't know where you lived and what social circle did you joined.

Most people in the Uk do indeed "respect" the law or at least do their best to avoid getting caught.

However the penalty for getting caught drunk driving is a suspension of your license for 6 months, one year or longer. This is hardly a deterrent if you have already lost your licence, or if you never even bothered to get one in the first place. Many drink drivers are serial offenders, and getting a lifetime ban is no deterrent if you don't have a licence anyway.

The penalty for being caught without possessing a valid driving licence (and therefore driving without insurance) is usually 6 penalty points on your non-existent licence. Not a great deterrent, is it? Oh yes, and a fine which you can ignore if you are on benefits.

Recently the Police have started to impound the vehicle if you are caught, and this is one of the only deterrents. Rather like imposing an on the spot fine - hit them in the pocket...

So in many ways, the enforcement of these traffic laws in the UK is not very different (apart from the extra paperwork) than the way Thai laws are enforced. It is only if you cause actual death or serious harm that the police get serious.

As usual, there is no shortage of laws, only the will to enforce them.

I used to live in England. In terms of drink and drive, England is by far the worst country I have ever experienced.

So I take it you've never been to Thailand then? Why are you on this forum? :)

Drinking and driving should NOT be a crime!

Driving drunk should be a crime....

I love it here because I can have a few beers get in my truck and drive home and not be worried about some stupid cop pulling me over for some minor infraction and then decides to give me a breathalyzer test for which if I refuse I automatically lose my right to drive for one year.

Many countries have taken this way to far as they head to ZERO tolerance!

Thank you Thailand just another thing I love about this country.

DONT DRIVE DRUNK...but please enjoy your life! You dont have many left!

I drink and RIDE but I don't drink and DRIVE. Of course I never have more that 2 or 3 drinks at the most and I never feel any affects from what I do have. I ride my motorbike like I'm EXPECTING that some drunken Thai is TRYING to kill me. That has kept me alive so far.