Wondering Why So Many Farang Drink And Drive In Thailand

robblok

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they can

Where we come from there are consequences, here only if you have an accident you have a problem and were never going to do that when were drunk

:)

Because so many are alcoholics?

I think that is true too many expats are alcoholics. There is a much higher percentage of bar flies here then in other countries.

if you go on that line then planning murder is ok as long as you don't kill. So i could try to kill you and shoot at you but miss. Then i would not get any punishment because i did not kill you. Seems sensible doesn't it.

For me it does not, for you it might.. but different people different perspectives.

if you go on that line then planning murder is ok as long as you don't kill. So i could try to kill you and shoot at you but miss. Then i would not get any punishment because i did not kill you. Seems sensible doesn't it.

For me it does not, for you it might.. but different people different perspectives.

Not at all. If you plan to kill someone, shoot and miss - as you say - there is still a clear intent to kill - if you drink two beers instead of one and drive home your intent is to get home, not to kill. Not quite the same is it.

What about people who drive with bald tyres, or bad brakes? What about people who speed? Or people who paid 400 baht for their license instead of taking the test? Are these people safer than someone who has been driving many years, has a properly maintained vehicle (car or bike), passed a much more rigorous test in the west, and has had two bottles of beer (which given most expat's BMI will not affect them noticeably at all)?

As I tried to say above, age has at least as great an affect on driving ability (especially reaction times) than alcohol does.

I'm not condoning drunk driving (or even drink driving), but it is funny how some things attract a cult following of haters when other things just as dangerous and threatening are accepted as if its common sense - its not, its programming.

Edited by wolf5370

Not at all. If you plan to kill someone, shoot and miss - as you say - there is still a clear intent to kill - if you drink two beers instead of one and drive home your intent is to get home, not to kill. Not quite the same is it.

What about people who drive with bald tyres, or bad brakes? What about people who speed? Or people who paid 400 baht for their license instead of taking the test? Are these people safer than someone who has been driving many years, has a properly maintained vehicle (car or bike), passed a much more rigorous test in the west, and has had two bottles of beer (which given most expat's BMI will not affect them noticeably at all)?

As I tried to say above, age has at least as great an affect on driving ability (especially reaction times) than alcohol does.

I'm not condoning drunk driving (or even drink driving), but it is funny how some things attract a cult following of haters when other things just as dangerous and threatening are accepted as if its common sense - its not, its programming.

The whole article was saying as long as nothing happens there is no crime. So my analogy is not wrong.

You are taking a risk with other peoples lives your increasing that risk. Now you come with other excuses to make yours look better its nothing more then red herring. Its like saying you dont have to use a condom against aids because cancer could kill you too. Does that sound logical ?

2 Wrongs dont make a right.

I never said that those other things should not be taken care off too. But not doing that does not make cracking down on alcohol any less valid.

Because they can, back home is another story.

I think i must agree on this one.. because they can. This means that the repression at home works and there is no other way to do it. I mean people wont behave out of the goodness of their hearts.

Like i said when it was a victimless crime i would not care one bit. But a car or a motorbike is a murderweapon in the hands of a drunk driver.

I think it doesn't help when you see 90% of Thai's riding around pi**ed with bloodshot eyes, of course it makes tourists think it's ok. Also being able to give 'backhanders' to the corrupt police force doesn't help also.

A bit like the Crash Helmet thing ...................when in Rome do as the Romans do !

...................when in Rome do as the Romans do !

Someone else of the forum recently muttered those exact words, on this very thread. Sadly, he is no longer with us after being killed in a motor vehicle collision.

I think the people who do this repeatedly are generally at least mildly addicted to alcohol. Most well meaning people rarely would seek to take the risks drinking and driving poses to OTHERS, but these people do and have no problems with justifying it (denial, delusion, caused by their addiction which can very mild). In almost any case, driving under the influence doesn't make you a better driver. So while it's true that texting or doing make up or reading and driving are all bad, it's worse if you drink, and if there's an accident, that's another thing to second guess. So people who drink and drive consciously or subconsciously make a choice that the "fix" is worth the risk, knowing they likely will drive and not having a backup plan. It's not that these people are otherwise unreasonable, but they are blinded to their choices by the addiction (ergo some of the weird defenses). It's not about what other people are doing on the road, but what YOU are doing and how YOU live your life.

When I was in Chiang Mai a few months ago, I saw a strong MADD-like campaign against drinking and driving and alcohol abuse in general in posters everywhere. My wife (who is Thai) was impressed.

I think its fair enough to try and murder someone. You're doing it for whatever good reasons that you have, and its a positive, conscious decision. But to accidentally kill someone through careless, thoughtlessness because the safety of others is of less importance to you than a few beers; well that seems by far the worse.

In the first case, the defendant could make the point that there was no-one else that he wanted to kill, and therefore it was unlikely to happen again; whereas in the latter, the person clearly has no regard for the safety of others, and will continue to be a danger to others so long as he remains in society

SC

Someone else of the forum recently muttered those exact words, on this very thread. Sadly, he is no longer with us after being killed in a motor vehicle collision.

:) Who?

"SiangDeeMahk"?

"swain"?

"havetowelwilltravel"?

My condolences.

The answer is quite simple;

Because the chances of getting caught are low,

And the consequences if something happens are also low.

Whereas in a western country chances of getting caught are high and consequences are also high.

The answer is quite simple;

Because the chances of getting caught are low,

And the consequences if something happens are also low.

Whereas in a western country chances of getting caught are high and consequences are also high.

? Lower value of life in Thailand ?

? Less chance of children / cyclists / motorcyclists / other vulnerable people in the street ?

Or do you simply not care in the least about the risk of killing or maiming others?

SC

An interesting question indeed! Perhaps one of the reasons for westerners coming to live in Thailand is compliance fatigue with their own Countries. I know that was the case for me with the UK full of speed cameras traffic calming measures and of course the constant threat of being pulled over. I can only ever remember knowingly driving over the limit in the UK, but in Thailand the attitude seems to be that you are very unlikely to get caught, and even if you are you can throw money at the problem to avoid the consequences of your actions.

The crux of the matter is that civic responsibility is not something innate in humans, they need to understand that poor behavior leads to sanctions, in Thailand the standard of governance is very low so people habitually break laws. I used to drink more than I should and drive home on occasions but ironically several times when I judged myself to be intoxicated and left my car to take a Tuk-Tuk home the drivers were often in a far worse state of inebriation than myself.

:) Who?

"SiangDeeMahk"?

"swain"?

"havetowelwilltravel"?

My condolences.

swain.