Accident Claims Two Lives In Phuket

webfact

Accident claims two lives in Phuket

RAWAI, PHUKET: -- A Frenchman and a Thai man were killed in a motorcycle accident in Phuket in the early hours of March 25.

Chalong Police found Cyril Chausse, 40, dead at the scene near his smashed motorcycle.

His bike collided with a motorcycle driven by Loei-native Naphatphol Hongchumphare, 25, who died on the way to hospital.

Mr Naphatphol, who worked as a server at Mai Lay Restaurant in Chalong, was traveling in the wrong lane towards Rawai when he crashed head-on into Mr Chausse and his passenger, Wanphen Saego, in front of Tesco Lotus.

Ms Saego, 30, remains in intensive care at Vachira Phuket Hospital.

No helmets were found at the scene.

On Tuesday another bike accident claimed the lives of three young Thai women on Chao Fa East Road.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-03-26

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Is it just me or does there seem to be an increase in the usual insanity and thus accidents on the roads recently?

In the last two days I must have seen more than the usual number of accidents and had half a dozen close calls, I mean really close.

Such as the endless pairs of helmetless teens and preteens which hurl towards me counter-flow, overtaking at will when there is no room to do so on supped up motorbikes that somehow manage to avoid becoming my hood ornament by swerving to the center line at the very last second, threading a needle between the two cars as we pass with mere cm's to spare.

Then there is Grampa Somchai on his sun scorched 1980's Honda Dream blistfully swinging out into traffic without looking. Should I be thanking him for allowing me the opportunity to check that my ABS is working properly? I'm sure he feels: "It's worked this long...so why not?"

My favorite, and this has happened to me twice now, occurs as I approach the driveway to my house which connects to a main road at the bottom of a hill. I indicate right very early and begin slowing to allow all the airport racers and Rossi wannabe's to move around me to the left. But no, there is a dreaded green plated (taxi) homicidal demon-warrior maniac gaining on me fast from the rear and despite my indicating right for some time, it's clear he intends to risk it all and overtake me on the right at high speed and just pray to Buddha I see him before starting my turn. I inch over the yellow line hoping this will discourage him from doing something exceedingly stupid. Nope. He probably thinks because he has lived a good, clean life that he will be reincarnated into something nice, so why not? Oops, he didn't calculate on the big bike coming the other way. Both must swerve to avoid meeting at a combined 200+kph.

Oh how I wish people would slow down a bit and drive just a bit more sensibly. Do they not see the death and destruction around them?

RIP to those whose lives were taken senselessly by the road warriors of Thailand. May their memories serve to remind us all that life is precious and delicate.

Please drive safely.

Is it just me or does there seem to be an increase in the usual insanity and thus accidents on the roads recently?

In the last two days I must have seen more than the usual number of accidents and had half a dozen close calls, I mean really close.

Such as the endless pairs of helmetless teens and preteens which hurl towards me counter-flow, overtaking at will when there is no room to do so on supped up motorbikes that somehow manage to avoid becoming my hood ornament by swerving to the center line at the very last second, threading a needle between the two cars as we pass with mere cm's to spare.

Then there is Grampa Somchai on his sun scorched 1980's Honda Dream blistfully swinging out into traffic without looking. Should I be thanking him for allowing me the opportunity to check that my ABS is working properly? I'm sure he feels: "It's worked this long...so why not?"

My favorite, and this has happened to me twice now, occurs as I approach the driveway to my house which connects to a main road at the bottom of a hill. I indicate right very early and begin slowing to allow all the airport racers and Rossi wannabe's to move around me to the left. But no, there is a dreaded green plated (taxi) homicidal demon-warrior maniac gaining on me fast from the rear and despite my indicating right for some time, it's clear he intends to risk it all and overtake me on the right at high speed and just pray to Buddha I see him before starting my turn. I inch over the yellow line hoping this will discourage him from doing something exceedingly stupid. Nope. He probably thinks because he has lived a good, clean life that he will be reincarnated into something nice, so why not? Oops, he didn't calculate on the big bike coming the other way. Both must swerve to avoid meeting at a combined 200+kph.

Oh how I wish people would slow down a bit and drive just a bit more sensibly. Do they not see the death and destruction around them?

RIP to those whose lives were taken senselessly by the road warriors of Thailand. May their memories serve to remind us all that life is precious and delicate.

Please drive safely.

I fully sympathise and agree with you however, you really must come to terms with the fact that the vast majority of these Rossi wannabes have a combined IQ of a carrot, no matter how many family or friends they have lost because of road accidents they will never change their driving habits.

Had one of those Rossi types, a tatted up German Muay Thai guy, come around the bend on Sai Yuan doing 100kph on a road where you should do 40-60. I was looking the other way to pull out, turned to my right and started to edge out when ZOOM, Euro nut is just about on me and I let out a "WHOA".

Anyway, nothing happened I pulled out safely and on my way when the steroided out maniac pulls up next to me and says "whats your problem" "F*** you" "I'm going to F**** you up" and was seriously inciting an altercation.

Great I'm thinking, I'm on my way to work, almost have this nut hit me, now he wants to fight.