Bomb Explodes Inside Customs Department: Bangkok

webfact

Bomb explodes inside the Customs Department

BANGKOK: -- A bomb exploded outside a building inside the Customs Department compound in Klong Toey district Saturday morning.

The explosion happened outside the 120th Anniversary Building at about 6 am.

The blast damaged glass windows and a van parked nearby.

Officials were checking the type of the bomb.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Thai government building hit by blast ahead of protest

BANGKOK (AFP) -- A small blast hit Thailand's customs department compound Saturday, authorities said, ahead of a planned street protest by tens of thousands of anti-government campaigners.

The explosion was the latest in a series of about a dozen blasts, mostly caused by grenades, that have been set off in Bangkok and surrounding areas since the rolling demonstrations began on March 14.

Police said an explosive went off outside the government building in central Bangkok, shattering windows and damaging a van parked nearby, but caused no injuries.

"The bomb went off at 3:45 am, we still don't know type of bomb it was, we will have to wait for a forensic examination," said a district police officer.

Red-shirted supporters of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra were massing Saturday before setting off on a new street parade as they continued their campaign to push for fresh elections.

The "Red Shirts", largely from poor northern areas, say the government is illegitimate because it came to power with army backing in a 2008 parliamentary vote, after a controversial court ruling removed Thaksin's allies.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-03-27

Published with written approval from AFP.

This seems like a report of a real bomb; a lot of the others, like the ones at Tesco Lotus in Surat Thani, come across as nothing more than big firecrackers. [black mark left on the pavement]

A bomb does a bit more than make a loud noise.

u seem like an expert on bombs. maybe you could show them what they are doing wrong.

a bomb is a bomb. just because people are not injured does not mean that it is not a bomb. i could blow a big hole in the ground. still a bomb. the only reason why people were not injured is probably because they don't want anyone injured they are trying to make a point. if they put that same explosive device in a busy area like inside tesco lotus. i think more injuries

This seems like a report of a real bomb; a lot of the others, like the ones at Tesco Lotus in Surat Thani, come across as nothing more than big firecrackers. [black mark left on the pavement]

u seem like an expert on bombs. maybe you could show them what they are doing wrong.

a bomb is a bomb. just because people are not injured does not mean that it is not a bomb. i could blow a big hole in the ground. still a bomb. the only reason why people were not injured is probably because they don't want anyone injured they are trying to make a point. if they put that same explosive device in a busy area like inside tesco lotus. i think more injuries

I think it fairly safe to assume that anyone who uses the term bomb to describe an explosive device has minimal experience on the subject anyway. I do agree with your remarks however, I do not believe there is any genuine intention to kill or maim innocent people, more to cause disruption, spread fear and create chaos in the capital. Those are not pleasant situations either but are a better alternative than killing or injuring people. Although not an expert, I do have prior military experience in this field. Just thought I'd chuck that in before you have a dig at me 555!

We call these field expedient explosives in military parlance...and can be made from such common items as metal or PVC cylinders (pipe lengths & fitted caps). And yes, black powder contained in fireworks or faster-burning smokeless powder used in munitions can be used. Such expedient devices can be extremely lethal and/or do a lot of property damage. The red shirts, or whatever group is behind this, is certainly not creating a great reputation for their cause or for this nation either. Thailand is quickly appearing to the world to be no better than Somalia, Lebanon, or Iraq etc and despite the leanings of the majority of its populace it outwardly is no longer a peaceful society at all. What a shame.

Definition of bombs: Military. a projectile, formerly usually spherical, filled with a bursting charge and exploded by means of a fuse, by impact, or otherwise. Civilian. Any similar missile or explosive device used as a weapon, to disperse crowds i.e. Smoke Bomb. A portable, manually operated container that ejects a spray, foam, or gas under pressure. From: Latin; bombus, a booming sound. Gk bómbos

All this quibbling over what to call these reminds me of the comment made by the French Ambassador to NZ following one of their Pacific atom bomb tests: "I do not like this word "bomb". It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding".

All this quibbling over what to call these reminds me of the comment made by the French Ambassador to NZ following one of their Pacific atom bomb tests: "I do not like this word "bomb". It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding".

Nice one Monsier Ambassador. Ha ha ha

I don't like a bullet, let's call it a pointy bit of metal.

Bombs can easily be produced using the flash powder contained in firecrackers.

A firecracker IS A BOMB.

Just a very small one, but a bomb none the less.

Drop it on someone or some thing same effect.

bomb –noun

Military. a projectile, formerly usually spherical, filled with a bursting charge and exploded by means of a fuze, by impact, or otherwise, now generally designed to be dropped from an aircraft.

any similar missile or explosive device used as a weapon, to disperse crowds, etc.: a time bomb; a smoke bomb.

Also called volcanic bomb. Geology. a rough spherical or ellipsoidal mass of lava, ejected from a volcano and hardened while falling.

aerosol bomb.

Football. a long forward pass, esp. one to a teammate who scores a touchdown.

6. Slang.

a.

an absolute failure; fiasco: The play was a bomb and closed after two performances.

b.

Chiefly British. an overwhelming success: The novel is selling like a bomb.

Jazz. a sudden, unexpected accent or rhythmic figure played by a drummer during a performance.

a lead or lead-lined container for transporting and storing radioactive materials.

9. the bomb,

a.

atomic bomb.

b.

nuclear weapons collectively.

Computers. a spectacular program or system failure.

Slang. a powerful automobile or other vehicle.

–verb (used with object)

to hurl bombs at or drop bombs upon, as from an airplane; bombard: The enemy planes bombed the city.

to explode by means of a bomb or explosive.

Computers. to deliberately cause (a computer system) to fail with a program written for the purpose.

–verb (used without object)

to hurl or drop bombs.

to explode a bomb or bombs.

Slang. to be or make a complete failure, esp. to fail to please or gain an audience; flop (sometimes fol. by out): His last play bombed on Broadway. The business bombed out with a $25,000 debt.

(of a computer program or system) to fail spectacularly.

Informal. to move very quickly: They came bombing through here on their motorcycles at 2 a.m.

Origin: 1580–90; 1960–65 for def. 17; earlier bom(B)e < Sp bomba (de fuego) ball (of fire), akin to bombo drum < L bombus a booming sound < Gk bómbos

Based on the Random House Dictionary

==========================

bomb n.

1. An explosive weapon detonated by impact, proximity to an object, a timing mechanism, or other means.

VERB. To attack, damage, or destroy with or as if with bombs. v.

1. To drop a bomb or bombs.

[French bombe, from Italian bomba, probably from Latin bombus, a booming sound, from Greek bombos, of imitative origin.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

Edited by animatic

Well said :)

Of course we have things like:

What a bomb shell she was.....

or as T.J. coined it...A sex bomb ....but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Was it actually Sir Tom Jones who coined the sex bomb phase?

Back on topic...Let's hope those planting or discharging the bombs don't start employing secondary devices. That is when the body counts will start rising.

Lol I think calling a fire cracker a bomb, no matter what the exact dictionary definition is, is a bit naive. However a better description (and yes i am ex-miliatary, and experienced) is an IED or improvised explosive device. The size of the IED doesnt matter. They are made to either Kill, Maim or cause disruption. Either way (and this is just my opinion, from experience) they are wrong. No matter what the intent they have the ability to cause the first two outcomes i mentioned and in any country on earth thats wrong. This will hurt the economy , so i guess they are making their point!!

bombs of any size are serious business. I hope the cops are doing all they can to find the punks who are threatening people and property. If they catch them and find them guilty, let's hope the full weight of the law will fall on their sorry asses. .....and not wimp out to accepting excuses or apologies or allowing bail. Bombs are deadly serious. Even a little firecracker can permanently blind or cause deafness.

Bombs can easily be produced using the flash powder contained in firecrackers.

[French bombe, from Italian bomba, probably from Latin bombus, a booming sound, from Greek bombos, of imitative origin.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

Maybe you need a job or hobby a break for your PC will help I think :)

Lie it was out side and no more than a MILITARY grenade all reports a BS :D

Which makes it all OK then ? :)

There has been an average of more than one grenade/IED per-day, since the start of the 'peaceful-protest', and the targets are the military or Bangkok Bank or government-offices or suchlike, pretty one-sided. Several innocent soldiers and several more civilians have been injured by them. When do Thaksin or the red-shirt leaders plan on condemning the attacks ? Not much sign of it happening yet, and with their inflammatory invective, they should realise that they may be viewed as encouraging some of their more out-of-control supporters to do these things.

The longer this goes on, the more likely that the military will feel they have to step in again, which surely can't be what any believers in democracy want ? But with troops and civilians being hurt, it would be entirely understandable, if the Reset-Button was to be pressed. :D

"The bomb went off at 3:45 am

the original info says "around 6am".

as to the title "Bomb explodes inside the Customs Department" it contradicts the text under it "A bomb exploded outside a building"

bad journalism

Thai government building hit by blast ahead of protest

BANGKOK (AFP) -- A small blast hit Thailand's customs department compound Saturday, authorities said, ahead of a planned street protest by tens of thousands of anti-government campaigners.

The explosion was the latest in a series of about a dozen blasts, mostly caused by grenades, that have been set off in Bangkok and surrounding areas since the rolling demonstrations began on March 14.

Police said an explosive went off outside the government building in central Bangkok, shattering windows and damaging a van parked nearby, but caused no injuries.

"The bomb went off at 3:45 am, we still don't know type of bomb it was, we will have to wait for a forensic examination," said a district police officer.

Red-shirted supporters of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra were massing Saturday before setting off on a new street parade as they continued their campaign to push for fresh elections.

The "Red Shirts", largely from poor northern areas, say the government is illegitimate because it came to power with army backing in a 2008 parliamentary vote, after a controversial court ruling removed Thaksin's allies.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-03-27

Published with written approval from AFP.

It appears that the Thai's in the North are finally tired of the corruption in Bangkok and are doing something about it.

Including grenades left unexploded in Sankampaeng (DL's home-town) and Chiang-Mai, and one attack on a telephone-box, it really doesn't seem a very logical anti-corruption statement, does it ?

Anyway the recent court-case against the former-PM was concrete proof that something is already being done, about the corruption in Bangkok, and amongst the elite, the pity is these cases take so long to reach a conclusion. :)

the recent court-case was against the former pm and not against the current pm, politician or mp.

There is as well higher elites, which are not elected in any way - they are in the elite, because of their birth rights or being nominated police and army general. They would be never prosecuted, because they are at the very top of the corruption pyramid - every rice grower, corner food stall cook, traffic cop taking your 100baht for nothing, drug dealer, hooker, mafia boss is paying them a share of their income. A very similar economic system, to this existing in the past in europe, known as feudalism

• 2 weeks later...

It is the hidden elite that control both parties; Yellow or Red shirt - puppeteers keeping the public eye off their business.

Corruption is the way of doing business and if Thaksin had kept his mind on what he claimed was his goal, instead of disrespecting the royal family, he would still be in power...

IOW - He pissed on the puppeteers behind the scenes and got kicked for being stupid...