Non Thailand Related Posts

Lancelot

Recently I authored a post featuring a video about Rural USA, circa 1934. Basically it showed depression era americans living off the land it eastern Kentucky. Unfortunately, the thread was promptly closed because it was "Non Thailand related."

However I often notice threads discussing sports (Premier League Football, US Super Bowl, etc.) western politics and other topics that are also non Thailand related but those threads are usually allowed to remain open. And why not? Whats wrong with a friendly discussion, even if it is not about Thailand?

I thought that some TV members might enjoy the video, showing how Americans were living off the land, similar to the rural folk here in Thailand.

I know the mods have a job to do and I respect that but why the arbitrary closing? What is so wrong with discussions that are not totally pertaining to Thailand?

Regards,

Lance

The problem is that a lot of these non-Thailand threads give some posters an excuse to start bashing one country or another. Look in Outside the Box if you want to see why that rule should keep being enforced.

I'm looking and still disagree. Plenty of bashing going on about every subject, including Thailand related subjects.

Anyway, I understand what you are saying...

But the "Ricky Martin is gay" thread is alive and well! What's the problem? :)

The "Ricky Martin is gay" thread is like the greatest thread ever on Thaivisa. The individual who originated said thread is a genius. Furthermore, it is a topic of broad encompassing interest, as everyone is interested that Ricky Martin is gay. And it is Thailand related since (even though it is not well known) Ricky Martin is actually Thai. There you go!

P.S. The "I threw up on my GF during sex" post is also a brilliant read as well.

Edited by submaniac

P.S. The "I threw up on my GF during sex" post is also a brilliant read as well.

At least that one is quite obviously Thailand related. :) Can't have any comparisons of similarities between other countries historically and Thail... oh wait. Hm. You may have a point.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Think issue is, there are planty of other websites/threads one can look at and TV is suppose to be Thailand related.

Suppose if posting all non-thai related posts wall allowed, TV would be bogged down with topics that would be of interest to one or two people only...

Think there is pretty good balance on TV, even with the country bashing going on....LOL

Personally, I think if TV started getting too bogged down with US politics etc etc....I would stop using TV

I think if you compare America at this time with Thailand it would be quite relevant. I often state that the cultures, especially with respect to how children show respect to their elders, brings me back to America at an early age.

Gay subjects can be discussed in Gay Forum. Sports in Sports, etc. Debates about Ethiopian restaurants in North Korea, no.

So the obvious solution to the OP's problem is to get a new forum established: "Rural America in the 1930's, and it's Implications for Thai Agrarian Society" Right? :)

Gay subjects can be discussed in Gay Forum. Sports in Sports, etc. Debates about Ethiopian restaurants in North Korea, no.

errr hmmm, corey haim, tragically dead at 38, the hurt locker wins best picture, mission impossible actor dies, the best british t.v. ever. all threads alive and well in the farang fun and pub forum.

thai related?

I am not known for my support of moderation policies on Thai visa and have many spats through the years, and if it wasn't for one or two kind-hearted mods who have stuck up for me on occasion, I probably wouldn't still be posting.

However, I have to say that I do support their policy on non-Thai related topics, and as many have pointed out, there is quite a bit of latitude allowed in various forums, such as the Gay forum, pub Forum, Bedlam, sports, Health, SE Asia forum and so on. We have even been allowed to discuss such topics as home state pension matters as they affect many expats living in Thailand.

There are plenty of other forums out there if you wish to discuss non-Thais related issues, and if you were to allow 'certain' non Thai topics, where do you draw the line?

If any OP can draw a clear connection between his/her apparently Non-Thai related topic, and Thailand, then they should do so, and if it makes sense then I am sure it would be allowed to remain.

I have to say that personally I find the link between farming in rural America in the 1930's and farming in rural Thailand today, to be quite tenuous

But that's just my opinion :)

I am not known for my support of moderation policies on Thai visa and have many spats through the years, and if it wasn't for one or two kind-hearted mods who have stuck up for me on occasion, I probably wouldn't still be posting.

However, I have to say that I do support their policy on non-Thai related topics, and as many have pointed out, there is quite a bit of latitude allowed in various forums, such as the Gay forum, pub Forum, Bedlam, sports, Health, SE Asia forum and so on. We have even been allowed to discuss such topics as home state pension matters as they affect many expats living in Thailand.

There are plenty of other forums out there if you wish to discuss non-Thais related issues, and if you were to allow 'certain' non Thai topics, where do you draw the line?

If any OP can draw a clear connection between his/her apparently Non-Thai related topic, and Thailand, then they should do so, and if it makes sense then I am sure it would be allowed to remain.

I have to say that personally I find the link between farming in rural America in the 1930's and farming in rural Thailand today, to be quite tenuous

But that's just my opinion :D

I feel moved enough to back the above statement in that the moderators do a more than fair job in allowing some borderline topics to stand but do draw the line where necessary in keeping this forum Thai related as it should be.

This post is really just a vote of confidence in the moderators and admin and an acknowledgement of their judgement. It is after all the best ex-pat forum around..

:)

But the "Ricky Martin is gay" thread is alive and well! What's the problem? :)

The "Ricky Martin is gay" thread is like the greatest thread ever on Thaivisa. The individual who originated said thread is a genius. Furthermore, it is a topic of broad encompassing interest, as everyone is interested that Ricky Martin is gay. And it is Thailand related since (even though it is not well known) Ricky Martin is actually Thai. There you go!

Sorry but not everyone is interested in Ricky Martin gay or not.

Perhaps there is poor people forum somewhere for the op to post the video, what about some modern day USA poor people videos too for balance.

Unless it was a gay Ethiopian restaurants in North Korea with TV showing live Muay Thai fights from Thailand.

OP, go back and repost your Kentucky farmers in 1934 thread but give it a gay slant, eg perhaps they were all depressed due to suppressed gay feelings they couldnt talk about. Then it wont be closed. Simple.

...except when a player of Manchester United ordered "signy" in an ethiopian restaurant located in one of Pyongyang's suburb. :)

Unless it was a gay Ethiopian restaurants in North Korea with TV showing live Muay Thai fights from Thailand.

OP, go back and repost your Kentucky farmers in 1934 thread but give it a gay slant, eg perhaps they were all depressed due to suppressed gay feelings they couldnt talk about. Then it wont be closed. Simple.

Actually if you watch the video closely, there was a Thai person in the back ground. Don't know what his orientation was though...

Hey, I think it was Ricky Martin! :)

...except when a player of Manchester United ordered "signy" in an ethiopian restaurant located in one of Pyongyang's suburb. :)

Hey, you can order kimchi here in Thailand, so thats definately Thailand related :D

The General forum is for Thailand related topics.

Farang pub is for fun, gay for gay people, football for football people, ladies for women, sports for non-football related sports, plants and pets for people who have gardening and pet related questions etc etc etc.

General Forum, for non Thai related issuesOptions Track this topic

Email this topic

Print this topic

Download this topic

Subscribe to this forum

Colonel_Mustard

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Yesterday, 2010-03-29 21:23:45 Post #1

Group: Members

Member No.: 24,047

The general forum seems to be for Thai related topics only. Might it be an idea for a general area where non-Thai related stuff could go?

For example on the gay forum it seems ok to post about issues not related to Thailand. Is there any chance of something similar for non-gay issues?

that one fell on deaf ears too!

Edited by tigerfish

Email this topic

Print this topic

Download this topic

Subscribe to this forum

Colonel_Mustard

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

The general forum seems to be for Thai related topics only. Might it be an idea for a general area where non-Thai related stuff could go?

For example on the gay forum it seems ok to post about issues not related to Thailand. Is there any chance of something similar for non-gay issues?

I don't honestly think we need threads dedicated to the Civil War and such do you? Surely somewhere out there on the web (this thing that is borderless) there is a forum dedicated to boring <deleted> like that with 30 odd members who are really keen on it. :)

'

Admin & the moderators seem to be bending over backwards to let this thread run especially as Forum Rule No. 21 states...

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy

Email this topic

Print this topic

Download this topic

Subscribe to this forum

Colonel_Mustard

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

I don't honestly think we need threads dedicated to the Civil War and such do you? Surely somewhere out there on the web (this thing that is borderless) there is a forum dedicated to boring <deleted> like that with 30 odd members who are really keen on it. :)

what you mean like the man utd website :D

Having read the forum rues on several occasions I am yet to read anything that says posts on Thai Visa must be Thailand related? Clearly there are many examples of threads that are not Thailand relating that already exist. It is a forum, if someone posts a video of 1934 farming in USA surely that thread will live or die based on the number of people that are interested in it? I live and work in Thailand, I am a member of only two Fora, this one and an ex-navy one. I don't want to join others as I am happy with the content here.

If there is no forum rule stating that a thread must be Thailand related then why not let threads run ?

Email this topic

Print this topic

Download this topic

Subscribe to this forum

Colonel_Mustard

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

what you mean like the man utd website :D

I will defer to SBK's previous post :D

Having read the forum rues on several occasions I am yet to read anything that says posts on Thai Visa must be Thailand related? Clearly there are many examples of threads that are not Thailand relating that already exist. It is a forum, if someone posts a video of 1934 farming in USA surely that thread will live or die based on the number of people that are interested in it? I live and work in Thailand, I am a member of only two Fora, this one and an ex-navy one. I don't want to join others as I am happy with the content here.

If there is no forum rule stating that a thread must be Thailand related then why not let threads run ?

Dig a little further mate, you will find the answer you seek.