Employing A Driver

StickySh1t

not sure how much taxi drivers earn but 8-15k might not tempt them.

I'm sure there's a huge range of incomes out there, but I actually think that this would be a pretty nice deal for many taxi drivers. The ones who I have talked said that they earn (after gas and taxi rental, if applicable) anywhere between 100 and 1000 baht/day. The 1000 baht would be on a REALLY good day. I imagine that a guaranteed income of 8-15k, plus the ability to earn extra on evenings/weekends would be quite appealing.

So is a man who hires a beautiful secretary not serious about having a secretary? I do not want some untrustworthy unreliable hooker driving me around - thus why I said I thought it would be difficult to fill the position with a suitable candidate
Yes, this occurred to me as well, and I would not mind paying extra for it, but I thought it would be hard to find somebody to take the job. Sexy driver+secretary+lite maid would be excellent. Odds of me finding a suitable candidate willing to do the job?
If it was me I would hire a sexy looking young woman, would be much nicer to have hanging around.

Didn't read this before i posted my previous one, but seems you not serious to get a driver.

My advice go to Nana or Patpong ask for a girl with drivers licence who is willing to drive you around in her dancing outfit, sure you never be on time at any appointment, but maybe good fun.

PS: ask her to take of her High heels as this is a safety issue.

But she could be working and earning extra when you do not need her then you might have to pay her less. Just ask her to take the used condoms out of the car when she has done :)

Troll?? or is it some people have more money than sense! When I was living and working in Bangkok I had a Taxi driver ALWAYS just a phone call away, easy to arrange and only cost a reasonable tip (100 Baht) per trip.

I don't see the point. I can walk to the road and have a taxi anytime I want with just the meter.

If you think wanting to own a car and have a driver instead of forever using taxis makes you lack sense, well, I don't know what to tell you - have fun teaching tomorrow though.

You are either cracking jokes, making assumptions or jealous that your wife wouldn't allow my idea or that you did not think of it first.

Your priorities are good driver, license, non smoker, non drinker etc. So are you sexist or just dense? You think the only person who can fulfill that criteria is a man?

As I said, I think it would be difficult to find a suitable candidate who would be willing to take the job - but if I could find one I would prefer her to a man. Especially if she was willing to do some secretarial and maid type tasks when she is not driving me around. I wouldn't want some guy in my house putting away my groceries and doing dishes.

If you find some one like that and also sexy, please pick me up one day and we just drive around bangkok, i Pay for a bottle of wine , 2 cohiba's and the fuel.

Looking forward to that day :)

I think you're onto something here! Get a nice car, with chilled wine, a humidor and a sexy driver, then have it for hire to TV members at reasonable rates...

First of all, despite years of Farang belief "kee nieow" (ขี้เหนียว in Thai) does not mean "sticky s**it".

Yes ขี้ (kee) as a Noun means waste or faeces - s**t if you will, depending on your vocabulary - and education! - however it is also an Adjective - exactly the same spelling in Thai - meaning "tends to" or "likes to" as in "kee giat" - "tends to be lazy", "kee bon" likes to gossip (or complain)" etc.. Also, in this phrase เหนียว means more like "to hold back" or "restrain" rather than "sticky".

So the phrase in Thai actually means "tends to be reluctant / hesitant" ("to pay" etc. being inferred).

As for the Driver issue:

If you have a 4 door saloon or whatever, sit in the rear left hand seat.

Every morning he should spend half an hour to an hour cleaning the car - with a thorough Polishing of interior and exterior at least once a week.

When he is not actually driving for you, he will just sit around talking to Security Guards, Maids etc. unless you give him other work to do - if you have a business he can be employed in delivering Product, submitting Invoices and collecting cheques from your Customers. That said you should explain what other duties you expect of him when you initially interview the candidates.

To me, it's worth paying a Driver Baht 10,000 - 12,000 a month (including overtime) to avoid the hassles of driving in Bangkok - and equally importantly have him worry about finding a place to park - you simply get out at your destination and call him to pick you up when you have finished your business, shopping, whatever.

Patrick

If I were hired to be a driver and instead sat in a parking garage for most of my job, I'd probably quit pretty quickly.

Quite right. Most Thai day labourers will quickly quit their air conditioned, sleep whenever you want driving job, to go work in the rice fields for 10 hours a day if they are not given enough to do. Keep them busy. Have them constantly running errands, on foot because they like to keep in shape, and have financial penalties if they don't meet the time deadlines on them as they like the challenge. This will guarantee that your driver stays happy.

If you think wanting to own a car and have a driver instead of forever using taxis makes you lack sense, well, I don't know what to tell you - have fun teaching tomorrow though.
TROLL? Must be! Too thick to be on drugs. Who said anything about teaching? Besides:- Pick up the phone and call your taxi or driver, what's the difference? Accept I don't have a Million Baht car to pay for then think about <deleted> I'm going to do with my idle, lay about driver!

I don't see the point of owning a car, and getting stuck while driving it... for at least 3/4 hours per day.

A car for me is a tool same as a laptop or a mobile phone, if I am hiring a driver it is certainly not to show off... but for profitability.

I don't see the point of owning a car, and getting stuck while driving it... for at least 3/4 hours per day.

A car for me is a tool same as a laptop or a mobile phone, if I am hiring a driver it is certainly not to show off... but for profitability.

If living in Bangkok yes, but in many other places are no trafic jams at all.

Just hired a driver this week for a number of reasons..

1) Driving is becoming a pain in the backside, so is parking, I'm sick of taxi's (like my car, my music, my aircon, no 'you have Issan girlfriend?' conversations)

2) Security for my wife (so she doesn't need to take a taxi at night when I am not there and she is meeting friends for dinner and wine).

3) We like a drink and will not drink and drive (and don't want to take taxi's).

4) We each have our own cars anyway, so a driver costs us B266 per day, not too far off the amount we'd spend on daily taxi's if we were to use them.

5) The driver is very useful for running errands.

6) Selfishly, I am not wanting to be responsible when a motorbike commits suicide underneath my car.

We hired a driver on flexible time. B8000 per month (plus tips for over time if we are late PM).

When I go out with friends at the weekend, my wife likes to go home earlier (midnight) and I like to stay out a little later. I can get a taxi home by myself, but I like to ensure my wife is home safely.

We have the driver standing by from 10am, but that is also flexible depending on when we need him. The driver also owns a taxi, which he rents out to another driver, although I don't think this is reliable income for him and today I heard that he was going to sell the taxi and work just for my wife and I.

We found him through a friend (after looking for 3-4 months). He used to be their driver, so its good to have him on referral.

We have copied his National ID, House book, driving license for security and beyond that, hope he doesn't drive off with our car.

If he continues to be a good driver he will have a job for life and we'll look after him.

We're not sure what he does in the spare time - But he did ask for supplies to clean the car, he may get bored, but I'm told he's been a driver for an expat couple for 5 years before he worked for my friend.

We'll see how it works out and hope for the best.

Basically they wash your car once or twice a day depending on how often you go out, lots of vacuuming the little bits of Goldfish, cookies, seaweed (the snack from h#ll for those who have to clean up after you), etc. that you or your kids have been consuming... really easy to be dust/crumb free when you're not the one doing the dusting or vacuuming. Although it might sound a bit tortuous, I insist that my cars tires are pebble free and we have our guy use needle nose tweezers and pliers to see to this. Quite the time killer.

When you're out and about, they sit around. They can either watch your car or sit in the waiting room (although I encourage hanging out near the car if it's not too hot... there's a little golf course type folding chair in the trunk). Most people who choose being a driver as a profession are content to sit around and do nothing most of the day, typically the same type of person who is willing to be a taxi or motorcycle taxi driver.

:)

Edited by Heng

1) Driving is becoming a pain in the backside, so is parking, I'm sick of taxi's (like my car, my music, my aircon, no 'you have Issan girlfriend?' conversations)

2) Security for my wife (so she doesn't need to take a taxi at night when I am not there and she is meeting friends for dinner and wine).

3) We like a drink and will not drink and drive (and don't want to take taxi's).

4) We each have our own cars anyway, so a driver costs us B266 per day, not too far off the amount we'd spend on daily taxi's if we were to use them.

6) Selfishly, I am not wanting to be responsible when a motorbike commits suicide underneath my car.

We hired a driver on flexible time. B8000 per month (plus tips for over time if we are late PM).

When I go out with friends at the weekend, my wife likes to go home earlier (midnight) and I like to stay out a little later. I can get a taxi home by myself, but I like to ensure my wife is home safely.

We have the driver standing by from 10am, but that is also flexible depending on when we need him. The driver also owns a taxi, which he rents out to another driver, although I don't think this is reliable income for him and today I heard that he was going to sell the taxi and work just for my wife and I.

We found him through a friend (after looking for 3-4 months). He used to be their driver, so its good to have him on referral.

We have copied his National ID, House book, driving license for security and beyond that, hope he doesn't drive off with our car.

If he continues to be a good driver he will have a job for life and we'll look after him.

We're not sure what he does in the spare time - But he did ask for supplies to clean the car, he may get bored, but I'm told he's been a driver for an expat couple for 5 years before he worked for my friend.

If you have employed the driver and you bring a Farang will you not be held responsible also? I know it may sound a bit silly but this is Thailand.

If you have employed the driver and you bring a Farang will you not be held responsible also? I know it may sound a bit silly but this is Thailand.

I very much doubt it.

While driving over here I've had 3 accidents. Neither my insurance or I have been responsible financially or otherwise for damage to the other vehicle (in each case the easy solution was that my insurance just covered my car and we claimed 50/50, in these accidents no one was hurt).

I can't ever imagine a situation where the passenger is held responsible for an accident, however, the Phuket incident is very worrying, then again that island is a law unto-itself and I believe that the guy in question was stitched up beyond belief.

With a driver under my (my Wifes) employment, should an accident occur and he is held accountable we would have no moral choice other than to stand by him. Which in other words means we'd pay.

Great reply. Thank you!!

I still like my username though for a different reason, your translation does make a lot more sense.

First of all, despite years of Farang belief "kee nieow" (ขี้เหนียว in Thai) does not mean "sticky s**it".

Yes ขี้ (kee) as a Noun means waste or faeces - s**t if you will, depending on your vocabulary - and education! - however it is also an Adjective - exactly the same spelling in Thai - meaning "tends to" or "likes to" as in "kee giat" - "tends to be lazy", "kee bon" likes to gossip (or complain)" etc.. Also, in this phrase เหนียว means more like "to hold back" or "restrain" rather than "sticky".

So the phrase in Thai actually means "tends to be reluctant / hesitant" ("to pay" etc. being inferred).

As for the Driver issue:

If you have a 4 door saloon or whatever, sit in the rear left hand seat.

Every morning he should spend half an hour to an hour cleaning the car - with a thorough Polishing of interior and exterior at least once a week.

When he is not actually driving for you, he will just sit around talking to Security Guards, Maids etc. unless you give him other work to do - if you have a business he can be employed in delivering Product, submitting Invoices and collecting cheques from your Customers. That said you should explain what other duties you expect of him when you initially interview the candidates.

To me, it's worth paying a Driver Baht 10,000 - 12,000 a month (including overtime) to avoid the hassles of driving in Bangkok - and equally importantly have him worry about finding a place to park - you simply get out at your destination and call him to pick you up when you have finished your business, shopping, whatever.

Patrick

I use to have a 'driver', actually he was my fathers driver but I lost that perc when the old man passed away. He was a doofus but harmless enough. He seemed to spend alot of time cleaning and polishing the car. He actually polished the paint off it in some places :D ....as I said he was a doofus.

He was paid considerably more than what the people here (tight <deleted>) are paying and that was about 10 years ago. Like anything, I would suggest, that if you pay peanuts, your likely to get a monkey. (please note; nothing racial about this comment).

Other things the driver was good for:- Cleaning stuff, BBQ, Sand shoes etc. Pick up lunch. Run any type of errand. Stupid looks :D . Its easy to keep these guys busy to a certain level and they will love you for it. Don't forget to be kind, bring him the occassional cold drink etc etc (you never know, you might come back as a driver in your next life). :)

I like your user name too. And don't forget, Thais have quite the imagination. I heard them call a guy Kai PLa (literally, "Sell" " Fish " ) which I thought was rather clever.

So your probably not the first to come up with sticky doo doo.