Travelling To Laos For N.i.o Visa With 2 Passports

Hi,

I currently have a non-im.B visa valid until 12 July 2010 in a passport with only 2 or 2 1/2 unused pages. <SORRY it is a B not an O - mistake in title!

I should be getting a new passport on April 5th.

I have to go to Laos to get a new non-im. B visa as my office is changing location (apparently there is no way round this).

Should I...

A. Transfer my current visa to the new passport before I go, and do everything (add Laos visa and new Thai visa) in the new passport (hoping that even though it's a new passport they will still grant the visa, if I also present my old one)?

or

B. Use my old passport for the Laos entry visa, then use my new passport for the Thai visa (though I could think of a bunch of problems this might cause)?

or

C. Only use my old passport, and hope it doesn't get so full of stamps and visas that for some reason I cannot re-enter Thailand, and then just transfer the new visa into the new passport back in Thailand?

Sorry if I haven't articulated this very clearly, I'm a bit worried and confused as it was kind of sprung on me, and I don't know the procedures very well (until now I've been lucky enough to pretty much avoid the whole thing as an outside agency has always taken care of it).

Also the timing is a pain cos of Songkran, but I figure if I can get to the consulate on the 7th or 8th, I should be just in time if I'm lucky.

Thanks a lot for any advice,

TD

Edited by TenDreams

Normally your old passport is invalid once a new one is issued (or applied for in the case of UK currently).

You should transfer your current permitted to stay stamp into your new passport and visit Vientiane with the normal paperwork to obtain a new visa. Having a new passport is not going to effect visa issue. You will not obtain a new visa by showing an old one - you need full company paperwork and work permit.

Thanks,

I'm getting the new passport sent from Hong Kong. When I applied for it, they just told me to cut the corner off the old one to invalidate it!

On the website I looked at, it said the passport should have been valid for at least 6 months to obtain a N.I.B, but I will be taking the old one, as well as full documentation and copies of my work permit (the agency have already reclaimed my original work permit) so fingers crossed then I guess.

Cheers for the reply. I'll get off to immigration once i have the new passport.

Sorry, anyone know how much the non-immigrant B costs in Vientianne?

Thanks for the replies....

I have been looking at some other threads here, can anyone confirm that the place to make the 'permission to stay' transfer is the office in Changwattana <sp>?

Do I need a written request from the UK consulate to do this?

Sorry for all the questions, but I guess that's that this is here for!

Cheers

If you are on an extension of stay believe office that from should be able to do the transfer and UK is known for not providing a letter of invitation so they should do without. For most people Chiang Watanna would be the place to have it done and only involves a short one page form and time to write/stamp the details. You will have to provide copies of old and new passport data pages and old visa/arrival/extension stamp and suspect departure card. There is no charge.

Hallo .I just go out last week with 2 Passport same from Nongkai to Vientiane, there will be no Problem, but the will give You only a stamp in the new Passport ( as i need for make a new Non B inside because my old Passport is full also )and will transfer the Visa from the old Passport into the new Passport on the Immigration Office left of the Counters without any Charge.

It needs about 10 Minute and without any Problems, just have to fill out a Form that You now useing a new Passport.

And have to sign and give one Picture ..and will have to smile in the Immigration Camera too ....

Peter

Immigration will transfer your permission to stay/extension of stay/re-entry permit stamps (as appropriate) to your new passport. A visa cannot be transferred, as is not issued by Thai immigration, but details will be noted in new passport. Whilst a visa remains valid in an old passport, you would need to travel using both passports until the visa expires.

Hallo .I just go out last week with 2 Passport same from Nongkai to Vientiane, there will be no Problem, but the will give You only a stamp in the new Passport ( as i need for make a new Non B inside because my old Passport is full also )and will transfer the Visa from the old Passport into the new Passport on the Immigration Office left of the Counters without any Charge.

It needs about 10 Minute and without any Problems, just have to fill out a Form that You now useing a new Passport.

And have to sign and give one Picture ..and will have to smile in the Immigration Camera too ....

Peter

Thanks Peter, good to hear it went smoothly!

Just to clarify something...did this happen at the border at Nongkai or the immigration office in BKK? Ive been told not to go to the immigration office in BKK to make the transfer as I just got my visa documents yesterday, which pertain to my old passport number.

cheers