Tax Increase On Alcohol To Hit Foreigners And Benefit Tourist Police

Rimmer

The taxes of alcohol should be increased to start covering the costs of some of the PROBLEMS it causes. Simple really :D

Good idea. Any increases could be used to care for all those with big beer guts hanging over their waistband. That is a BIG problem for many :)

Prevention of accidents too, like some April Fool drunk tripping over his own feet and needing to go to hospital. Umpteen opportunities here.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is really funny....the joke is out but some are still discussing the story as if it was real......priceless :)

This is probably the case because as funny as the OP was, non of us would be truly surprised if this kind of thing happened.

Don't drink.

Don't care!

Well you should drink and then you would have something better to do with your time, instead of posting about things that don't concern you. It is often said never trust a man that doesn't drink as he has something to hide. Which begs the question what r u hiding, over here in the land of smiles and don't drink. Mmmm i wonder.

What's your problem mate? He's not the only one.

Well, well, what a mess. There is no drinking after death! BTW: did anyone knows about Lao beer in Thailand? On January 1st, an ASEAN-contract came into force, allowing free selling of alcoholic beverages within ASEAN countries, but for no avail up to now :)

Just asking

Ralf

The duties for alcoholic beverages containing up to 12% alcohol will be increased by 20 baht per 100 ml

They didn't state it's per 100 ml of pure alcohol, but rather per 100 ml of the alcoholic beverage!

err.....April 1 ring a bell anywhere here.....

Im amazed this went on for so long.

In fact, im convinced the moderators deleted all the posts from members reminding people what day it is. There is no way there can be that many dumb people on 1 forum. Shame on you mods !

Don't drink.

Don't care!

The world needs more priests, preachers & monks. You seem to be qualified. Then you can drink and nobody will know it AND you won't have to post your self-righteousness on TV. As for me, I drink AND smoke cigars. I guess you would love to tax me also. Seems those who don't drink or smoke can't let it go at that, they want everybody that does not do as they do to be taxed. Their is enough corruption in this country without lining the pockets of the politicians, police, etc. even more.

I know that being in Thailand for a long time degrades your analytical reasoning skills, but I cant believe none of you suspect this to be an april fool's joke!

LOL

I certainly did. I was in fits of laughter reading the article. Even the title was a give away...... a tax that will benefit the Tourist Police? Come on get real, not even in LOS.

The proposal was so stupid, outrageous & totally unworkable it had just had to be a joke.

Unbelievable so many fell for it.

Logbags, i loved your post.

Im amazed this went on for so long.

In fact, im convinced the moderators deleted all the posts from members reminding people what day it is. There is no way there can be that many dumb people on 1 forum. Shame on you mods !

We can neither confirm nor deny such allegations :)

This is really funny....the joke is out but some are still discussing the story as if it was real......priceless :)

Taxes are a very sensitive topic these days.

Of course if you then address the issue of tax on one of societies greatest afflictions then your always guaranteed fireworks. The issue of whether or not its real is irrelevant.

Of course Howard, your just enjoying this so much because for a change people arnt laughing at you, but with you :D

I guess the fact that we foreigners already pay more for food, clothing, transportation, entrance to parks and shows, housing, rentals and pretty much anything else is not enough.

Daily reports in Pattaya show 98% of Thai causing problems, such as drunken fights, motor accidents due to driver being drunk(Thai), hit and run, again driver was drunk(again Thai)

What utter dribble........ as a foreigner I pay exactly the same amount of money, as my thai family for my food, for my clothing, transportation, entrance into parks, housing and virtually everything else. I am trying to work out why the OP of this post is paying so much more? :D

This 'Daily reports in Pattaya' the one that shows that 98% of Thais are causing the problems.....errr, do you have a link. I highly doubt that statistic, sounds like hyperbol to me :D

:)

REALLY??? you pay the same to enter parks? or stadium? WOW you must be special!

You pay the same when buying clothing at the market?? wow, you must not only be fluent in Thai but also look Thai also

You pay same for tuk tuks? Drivers must really love you to drop the price for you

Try buying condo from Nova Group and see what price would be given to you and then send a Thai national and see what price they will get. An before you start to ramble some other crap, check out their website, which clearly has double pricing and if that does is still not good enough for you, do a search for the latest interview with the owner, who confirms double pricing

There is no need for statistics or links, turn on the TV and watch the news every day. There may be 1 report per week if that about foreigner being in an accident caused by alcohol or being or causing any kind of trouble involving other people. While 3-5 reports daily show Thai being arrested for assault because he/ she was drunk. Thai dead because he/she was drunk and lost control. Thai hurt because other driver was drunk. Foreigner killed, hit and run (drunk driver) and on and on.

I only pray and hope that this satisfies your highness, after all you would be one of the very lucky ones if not the only one to get same price entrance to the parks and stadiums

"The increase, starting next week on the 5th April, is the start of a new campaign to decrease the number of alcohol related accidents during the songkran holiday."

Does anyone know the numbers? I mean how many alcohol related auto accidents are Thai and how many foreigners?

I saw it once and cant remember what Thai Gov web site it was on.

Not only in Thailand, also in the UK the tax on beer is going up again. It seems governments just about anywhere in the world find consumers of alcoholic beverages -- and of tobacco -- easy targets. Then, when -- not surprisingly -- consumption decreases, they complain about the reduce revenue, and what di they do? They increase the tax some more. It is a never-ending cycle.

Tax increase in the UK:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...-cider-tax.html

--

Maestro

There is a business opportunity for some forward thinking country looking to get out of debt.

Call it Sin_tax Free Nation.

Remove all taxes on all things bad for you (and fun) and overnight become the leading tourist destination in the world.

anybody got a spare country they aint using?

April's Fool Day Joke?- Wishful thinking...

Go to most National Parks with paid entry...

Entry fee: Thai - 20Bt; Farangs - 200Bt

It is a shameful, but open and official policy!

Racism? Maybe, but nevertheless it is here!

Nondrinker. But my friends and visitors will suffer. From now on I serve soft sober.

Taxes are a very sensitive topic these days.

Of course if you then address the issue of tax on one of societies greatest afflictions then your always guaranteed fireworks. The issue of whether or not its real is irrelevant.

Of course Howard, your just enjoying this so much because for a change people arnt laughing at you, but with you :D

Do you have even 1 piece of positive bone in you? or does your whole life revolve around picking on people? any chance of finding a new hobby?

April's Fool Day Joke?- Wishful thinking...

Go to most National Parks with paid entry...

Entry fee: Thai - 20Bt; Farangs - 200Bt

It is a shameful, but open and official policy!

Racism? Maybe, but nevertheless it is here!

Nondrinker. But my friends and visitors will suffer. From now on I serve soft sober.

You think this is bad. Try buying condo from Nova Group, Cliff for example. there is double price. One price for Thai Nationals and i think 100 000thb -200 000thb more for Foreigners. They do not even try to hide or deny it.

i hope this is only in Pattaya cause of coarse 70% of people that drink are foreginers because it is a forang city. i wonder how many per cent are drinkers in Undo thani.

anyway the people i see get the mmost drunk are thais. starting to really get the feeling that forang are not wanted anymore

Just remember that all of you that support this stupid governement get kicked in the teeth every time you turn. Remember the story of seized properties in Puket if the money came from a farang spouse? Ths Yellow gov't is anti farang. get used to it, you are not wanted here.