Buying A Lcd Tv

petercallen

I want to purchase a LCD tv but i know nothing about them, which is the most reliable brand what features it should have,

as an example full hd 1080.

Do any of the brands do in home warranty and if the warranty is worth the paper its written on and where in phuket you

get the best prices.

Any help would be much appreciated as i cant find anyone in the shops whose English is good enough to explain anything

to me.

after extensive research, i bought a plasma. Picture quality with cable is far better with plasma. I had a chance to veiw the two side by side with cable feed hands down plasma is better.

Two months ago I paid 19,900 at homepro for a 42" LG.

Works good for me.

LED is all the rage now if you can afford it, picture is so much more clear than Plasma or LCD, as far as picture quality with cable could not say as i never asked.

LED consumes less energy and creates next to no heat, as well as being only an inch thick!!

The guys at homepro are pretty good at what they do, there is one guy in particular that is very good his name is Nu speaks fairly good english.

I imagine in a year LED prices will come down.

Good luck,

Jay

RBFC

Rawai

there is no HD feed here so other than HD DVDs its of no use.

Astro has a HD package.. Movies, sports, ESPN, the lot.

Theres also actually hidden UBC HD channels for those that can hunt them.

HD-DVD, Blu Ray, and online content.. I have watched 100's of HD movies, so many I dont even archive them any more just watch and delete.

TV broadcasts are still not done in full hd even in the UK and most HD movies online are not full HD as their file size is too big,

Unless using Blueray full HD is not really a necessity in my opinion. My reason to buy full HD would only really to be future proof.

I have an expensive 42 Philips LCD. I also have some inexpensive 42 and 50 plasma. the latter have better picture, warmer colors, and much better responsetime. 42 at 19k baht, 50 at 30k baht, both LG at powerbuy Jungceylon or Central.

Basicly few places with good prices in Phuket, the 2 above, Homepro in Chalong and Homeworks next to Central

if your just using it for normal use, theres no need to get a full HD, if you use xbos360, Ps3 or blueray player that plays hd movies then you will want full HD... you can pick up cheap lcd or plasmas these days but full hd are a bit more expensive.

Have read few reviews over the years and the summation I got was that both are good. I recently bought a 42" LG Plasma and it seems fine. I paid 29000bht and judging by a previous post I paid too much. But keep in mind there are various models in each brand and type. Hopefully I bought a higher spec.

When you check out TV's in the shop you may notice differences. Some may seem sharper than others. But whatever you decide, once you get it home it will be fine.

Thank you Jay for your advice, i checked out the prices in jungceylon and they only seemed interested in

selling me the new LED type tv which is far to expensive.

I went to homepro and asked for NU he gave me good advice including LED were the best but expensive and

should drop in price in one year or so, he recommended plasma and took me to the back of the shop and

showed me a 42 inch LG on special at 20990 baht reduced from 29990 baht which was better than other deals.

Have to Wait 4 days because they have sold out of the model and are waiting for new stock to come in which is fine

with me although the wife's chaffing at the bit and wanted it yesterday.

Thanks again for your good advice and i recommend NU also, excellent salesman not pushy just good advice.

Dont forget plasma gives out a fair amount of heat.. So in this climate make sure its for a room that has ventilation or AC.. I can feel the difference with a plasma on for hours over an LCD.

LCD need not look worse on cable / ubc, just depends on the implementation.. I find Sony looks poor where LG and Phillips seem top do better on low quality sources.

I have a 42" Philips plasma,really great.

Love it in winter here in Auckland, my central heating unit TV in one.......LOL

Nutha thing to remember, the refresh rate is slower with LCD.

Check them side by side in a shop with a fast moving programme, very noticeable.

Panasonic, do NOT recommend buying LCD over 37".