Korean Bbq

JXXXL

I don't know the name of the place but it is located in Meechok Plaza. The food is very good (Korean chef) and it is reasonably priced as well. The only thing is that it is closed at the moment for remodeling and expansion. Business has been so good that they had to expand. Always some Koreans in there eating which is a good indicator. They said that they would be closed for 3 weeks beginning March 22.

I don't know the name of the place but it is located in Meechok Plaza. The food is very good (Korean chef) and it is reasonably priced as well. The only thing is that it is closed at the moment for remodeling and expansion. Business has been so good that they had to expand. Always some Koreans in there eating which is a good indicator. They said that they would be closed for 3 weeks beginning March 22.

TQ, sounds like it's definitely worth a look. Where is Meechok Plaza?

Meechok Plaza is on the Mai Jo road or the 1001 Highway. The 1001 come of the super highway at the old CM 2 hospital. Go east approx 2 kilo to first traffic lights, this is at the first ring road. Meechok Plaza is on your left hand side of the intersection, there is also a Rimping market in the plaza.

What about the one thats listed on " Meals on Wheels" above? I think its across from Kad suan kaew? I never been there or ordered from there though. But I am tempted to have them deliver me some galbi cause I'm just plain lazy to drive out there. :)

I like the one behind that god awful huge condo block near Kad Son Kaew.

the condo block is called 'highlands' , 'Hermaphrodite' , 'Hiso heights', 'Sea view' or something.

edit** "Hillside" - although it's a few km's from the nearest hill, but anyway... facing that block, dont the alley next to it, (it has two guys with traffic glow batons waving cars in and out).

Probably offended half the CM forum with that... but hey, the BBQ is awesome, crayfish as big as your hand, that don't run out after the first gannets arrive.

And loads of greasy farang food as well!

Oh and beer girls. Or PG's (Pretty Girls) as they are officially known.

Edited by whiterussian

I like the one behind that god awful huge condo block near Kad Son Kaew.

the condo block is called 'highlands' , 'Hermaphrodite' , 'Hiso height', 'Sea view' or something.

Probably offended half the CM forun with that... but hey, the BBQ is awesome, crayfish as big as your hand, that don't run out after the first Gannets arrive.

And loads of greasy farang food a well!

errr...Hilliside 4?

Yeah, but I think you are referring to the huge moo kata place, WR. As in Thai style sukiyaki with the braziers and the soup, etc.

Is there a Korean BBQ there that I missed?

Real Korean barbie is at a flat table, with an inset grill, and certain unique ingredients.

Keep us posted.

Real Korean barbie is at a flat table, with an inset grill, and certain unique ingredients.

Keep us posted.

Beg yer pardon, the wife always told me that MooKaaTaa was a Korean thing, as she put it.. "what the Kings of Korea eat"!

Assumed it didn't get any better than that...

Bloody Thai women, can't trust a word they say.

Nice little mookaataa opened up near that new Pizza and Pasta place, cheap n cheerful.

Got to try a pizza too, if it isn't a day's wage...

Will keep my eyes peeled for Korean BBQ, as I recall there is a little Korean area at the bottom of the road when you go straight from the night market... past all the karaoke's and Samo's bar etc.. around that area. Hmm, crap directions.. maybe just look for Karaoke bars and ask around there.

Sorry. :)

I went into town today to buy my motorbike but anyways.. On the way there... advertisements on the back of the tuktuks. I saw 5 of them in a row for the same Korean place. It was in Korean so I couldnt read but the only thing in English was the street name - Huay Kaew Rd.

Anyone else see those signs? o_O

What about the one thats listed on " Meals on Wheels" above? I think its across from Kad suan kaew? I never been there or ordered from there though. But I am tempted to have them deliver me some galbi cause I'm just plain lazy to drive out there. :)

That place across from KSK near Discovery that mcgriffith refers to is great but is very expensive. Having said that, the beef is imported and of the highest quality.

Edited by elektrified

What about the one thats listed on " Meals on Wheels" above? I think its across from Kad suan kaew? I never been there or ordered from there though. But I am tempted to have them deliver me some galbi cause I'm just plain lazy to drive out there. :D

That place across from KSK near Discovery that mcgriffith refers to is great but is very expensive. Having said that, the beef is imported and of the highest quality.

Yeah, I was staring at the prices they have on "Meals on Wheels". But I would be willing to pay it for really good galbi and bibimbap! Although I dont think they have pan fried dumplings, just steamed. :)

I'm just wondering what we're really talking about here. Thai food is one thing, Korean food another. Both are awesome.

There are some good Korean BBQ places on Changklan Road and in Chiang Mai land if that's what you're up for. Costs about 150B to really fill yourself up with real Korean grub. I don't have a favorite yet.

Then for Thai food there's Hmu Gattah. (Imagine a cow plays guitar, you'll remember the name always.) The origins of this are debated. Clearly it's suki and bulgogi influenced, but have had some Thai foodies tell me it originated with the Mongols using their hats to cook while wandering/ marauding. And then the Thais have made it all their own anyway, wherever it's from.

For convenience and a nice price, there's Chumpae just outside the moat, opp the Sriphum corner. For fun of med-sized giantness on 2 floors, and more buffet selection, there's Sukhanta on Silimankalajan about half-way up (the street running between Huay Gaew and Suthep). Then for wow factor and massive selection, but extra entertainment noise included is the one behind Hillside. It's pretty F@#&in cool !

Let us know your favorite after some shopping around.

Are you sure the exact transliteration is not Gnu Mat-Tahh, from the original Sanskrit, RTD? :)

In SoCal, many lo, mid and hi-so Korean restaurants.

Along with the same spectrum of Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, Cambodian (I'm not joking; just try Long Beach or Fresno).

There is even a Korean Mexican fusion catering truck co. in LA (roach coach, we call them) that has franchised and has international fame serving tacos with Korean ingredients.

I have a feeling CM is about 20 years behind the ball on Korean food, unlike BKK.

Business opportunity for someone, I would think.

• 4 weeks later...

Meechok Plaza is on the Mai Jo road or the 1001 Highway. The 1001 come of the super highway at the old CM 2 hospital. Go east approx 2 kilo to first traffic lights, this is at the first ring road. Meechok Plaza is on your left hand side of the intersection, there is also a Rimping market in the plaza.

I think it's called Rum Rum, correct?

Are you sure the exact transliteration is not Gnu Mat-Tahh, from the original Sanskrit, RTD? :)

In SoCal, many lo, mid and hi-so Korean restaurants.

Along with the same spectrum of Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, Cambodian (I'm not joking; just try Long Beach or Fresno).

There is even a Korean Mexican fusion catering truck co. in LA (roach coach, we call them) that has franchised and has international fame serving tacos with Korean ingredients.

I have a feeling CM is about 20 years behind the ball on Korean food, unlike BKK.

Business opportunity for someone, I would think.

Brings back some great culinary memories........ Wasn't it LA County that tried to restrict the Taco Trucks from competing with the established restaurants? It seemed that the Taco Trucks were giving massive portions at less cost and were killing the restaurants by capturing their customer base. :D

I have to concur with Realthaideal. The BBQ place behind Hillside 4 is definately the most popular place for Thais. I'd guess the capacity is over 2000 seats and at the weekend by 7pm its completely full. Lots of nice snacks which are always replenished, fruit, donuts, ice cream. And then you can completely stuff yourself on big prawns which you can either cook at your table or they have big BBQ areas where you can also find squit and fish. Just a word of warning on the prawns - after you seperate the head from the body be sure to open the head and eat the small amount of meat in the head or they will charge extra (like a fine) Actually it tastes the best but if you cant face it, just open the head anyway and disguise the bits in your basket full of shells.

I have to concur with Realthaideal. The BBQ place behind Hillside 4 is definately the most popular place for Thais. I'd guess the capacity is over 2000 seats and at the weekend by 7pm its completely full. Lots of nice snacks which are always replenished, fruit, donuts, ice cream. And then you can completely stuff yourself on big prawns which you can either cook at your table or they have big BBQ areas where you can also find squit and fish. Just a word of warning on the prawns - after you seperate the head from the body be sure to open the head and eat the small amount of meat in the head or they will charge extra (like a fine) Actually it tastes the best but if you cant face it, just open the head anyway and disguise the bits in your basket full of shells.

Place behind Hillside is too dark and just too big. And you allude, you get some pretty arsy service. I'm not disclosing my favourite place. Chumpae is similarly dark with much nicer service but there are two other places with much much nicer ambience.

Seems this thread has morphed into Moo Kataat rather than Korean food. Anyway, I tried the place across from KSK and found it to be excellent. It's run by a Korean husband and Thai wife. My wife doesn't eat beef so we had two cuts of pork which were about B180-B200 each and include a huge spread of kimchi and salad. The beef was about B100 more than the pork depending on the cut. We had two other dishes and got out for about B700 which I thought was very good value for money. Quality was excellent and authentic.

Edited by JXXXL