Avocado Warning -- Save Your Money

I like to have cados in the house all year, and don't mind paying the 40 to 60 baht each for the Aussie Haas imports, that is, IF they are edible. I assume it is off season now for them in Oz and the prices have gone to 60 baht each. Recently you can find these 60 baht ones on special for 40 or 50 baht and here is the reason why -- they are crap. The last 4 cados I bought (all at Tops I think but not sure that matters) have been seriously defective. I buy them hard so there is no way of telling how they are going to ripen from appearance. The first 3 were still mostly edible, but stringy and limited flavor. I guess hope springs eternal but the last one I got burst open on "ripening" and turned out to be completely inedible. I suspect for some reason these cados are FROZEN at some point or other in the process either back in Oz, during transport, or storage. In any case, enough is enough, it is throwing away money to buy these cados now, I guess until they get in season again.

Edited by Jingthing

Better to spend the money on quality control than bleeding lawyers ...

Another bothersome thing, I suspect Tops knows about the problem which explains the unusual price cut during off cado season. Enough people have probably brought the dogs back to complain, I reckon. So why not lower the price on the garbage, they'll buy that, they always do ...

^The ting is, it most likely got nothing to do with the Aussie producers, they don't intentionally mishandle their products.....its all the stuff that happens to it on the way to your supermarket etc.

Your beef isnt with the Aussie Avo people....I didnt realise McDonalds offered an Avo menu :D:D just kidding :D

I think you hit the nail on the head though suggesting they've been frozen or something like that. Mee loves a good Avo. :)

I stopped buying avo's here a long time ago. Normally edible, just tasteless half of the time.

My Italian ex father in law used to tell me that products like cheeses and fresh foods never tasted the same when they where flown in to the UK from Italy. He was in the food trade and knew his stuff. His (and others) theory was that the freezing temperatures in an aeroplane cargo hold had a severe effect on the taste of fresh foods in general.

Ties up with the avo's frozen at some stage theory on this topic.

I planted an avocado tree here a few years ago. It's growing nicely. I later read an article in the Eng lang press, informing me that an avocado tree takes 40 YEARS to produce fruit!!! Well maybe my grandchildren can one day enjoy it. :)

I stopped buying avo's here a long time ago. Normally edible, just tasteless half of the time.

My Italian ex father in law used to tell me that products like cheeses and fresh foods never tasted the same when they where flown in to the UK from Italy. He was in the food trade and knew his stuff. His (and others) theory was that the freezing temperatures in an aeroplane cargo hold had a severe effect on the taste of fresh foods in general.

Ties up with the avo's frozen at some stage theory on this topic.

I planted an avocado tree here a few years ago. It's growing nicely. I later read an article in the Eng lang press, informing me that an avocado tree takes 40 YEARS to produce fruit!!! Well maybe my grandchildren can one day enjoy it. :)

You need to graft avo trees, then they will produce fruit rather quickly.

Otherwise, it takes about 5-7 years to fruit... and then they will tend to be stringy inside.

Best to find a graft somewhere....

Edited by ChefHeat

I have had tasty avocados here from Oz that seem fine to me and pretty much the same thing as California Haas avocados in California. This of course isn't the first time I have gotten bad product here. Its just that right now it seems like it is all bad product. I doubt this is a permanent problem. I will buy them again, later. For me, its hard to live without them.

Edited by Jingthing

Hmmm Jing Thing they are cheap and tasty here in Oz. PS neverdie, Burger king make an avocardo burger now.

U know one thing waza, I have never had a Burger King burger in my life. As for maccas, about once a year I normally indulge and every time I do I feel like a spew afterwards :D .....having said that I don't mind their thickshakes occassionally and their chips arnt bad either....except for some strange reason I think they call them flies :)

I haven't had a decent avocado since I was in Chile in 1997...whadda bunch of fcukin' sissies...complainin' about not havin' any avocados...I've always said that there should be a human traffic trade wid Mexico; good avocados as well as corn tortillas and mariachi music as well...

there was an attempt at arab supermarkets recently in saudi but it came to nought...not even good fer guacamole, pathetic... :)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

What was the name of the Brazilian movie where a prisoner shares a plate of ONLY avocado slices with another prisoner, and the avocado is used to symbolize sensuality and the joy of living? I think probably the best avocado scene in film history, but can't remember the title.

they ain't got no avocados in Brasil...it's on the wrong side of the stinkin' continent...an' they speak portuguese over there not the doggeral chilean spanish...

now, in 'The Kiss of the Spider Woman' by the Brasilian director Hector Babenco and with prison inmates there were other delicacies involved...

an'...I ain't crazy neither...it's them folks in Sweden that refuse to give me my Nobel in physics...an' I don't wanna even think about the neglect with the literature prize...

now, look...yew got the grandson all upset an' he's cryin'...the MiL is comin' with me on the next job to look after me and I shall be redeemed to the supreme embarrasment of my detractors, godammit...

huff, puff... :)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Depends on where you shop I guess. Cheapest I have seen at a supermarket is $1.25 but they were picked far too early, and therefore terrible.

best avocadoes in BKK are usually at the Emporium supermarket from summer till winter (June-Nov.) and usually about 60 baht.

What was the name of the Brazilian movie where a prisoner shares a plate of ONLY avocado slices with another prisoner, and the avocado is used to symbolize sensuality and the joy of living? I think probably the best avocado scene in film history, but can't remember the title.

ummmmmmmmmmm look like your going to get yourself off on avocados ------------ why dont u try shopping at another store or u worry u might get lost going somewhere new in bkk ---

I just looked my copy of Kiss of the Spider Woman and JT was correct in making a point of filmography to edify the reading TV public...this is in contrast to dumb assed comments from drunken australians... :)

yeah...an' I'll kick Ned Kelly's arse too...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Often wondered why Thailand doesn't produce avocados, as many supermarkets seem to import them for farang (and possibly thai) use.

Can they be grown here???

I have seen Thai cados here and they have never been the prized Haas variety. They have also always been bad. Of course, I only like Haas.

Often wondered why Thailand doesn't produce avocados, as many supermarkets seem to import them for farang (and possibly thai) use.

Yes, I've bought them at the Hill Tribe Market on the way back over the mountains from Mai Sot, and delicious they are too, and very cheap! (Last July they were 10 baht a kilo!)

:)

I just looked my copy of Kiss of the Spider Woman and JT was correct in making a point of filmography to edify the reading TV public...this is in contrast to dumb assed comments from drunken australians... :)

yeah...an' I'll kick Ned Kelly's arse too...

maybe I was being harsh...I like to surf just like you guys... :D I wanna try Dungeons onna big day; should be a good one for a 60 y.o. lunatic...

(opps, Dungeons is in Cape Town, but you guys all talk funny anyway...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Yes, I've bought them at the Hill Tribe Market on the way back over the mountains from Mai Sot, and delicious they are too, and very cheap! (Last July they were 10 baht a kilo!)

:)

They are ok, from chiangmai region, i find them around june / july in Foodland or Makro

ye know...the indonesians prepare a nice avocado shake using condensed milk and a bit of Hershey's cocoa powder...it's sweet and I'll bet the thais would love it...just gotta get a bit of cross cultural food preparation going and then there would be an abundance of avocados in the supermarkets...

They are available in Chiang Mai from June-January and are not expensive. There are fairly tasty ones - including Hass - but many Thais don't know how to choose them. Art Cafe and Miguel's Mexican usually have good ones.

I just had some great guacamole at Tacos and Salsa in Bangkok.

But every time I try to buy them, for example, at Foodland, I end up throwing them away.

Too expensive to do that.....pisses me off!!

I wonder where Jorge of T&S gets his really good advocado?