Criminals On The Road With A Police Badge And A Gun

bellagrego

What I do disagree with is the lack of integrity/honesty aspect of your post. Oh, you're right. But among the posters on TV, I don't find the group to overall to be the paragon of honesty and integrity. And, to some extent, I include myself in that, and I'm probably one of the goody-two-shoes. But have I greased the wheels since I moved here almost a year ago? Yes. Only once, so far, but 1,000 baht under the table saved me 5 hours of my time one day...and I did it without even thinking about it...it was practical and put me at the front of the line...ahead of those who hadn't. Evil incarnate? No. A lack of integrity? Yes.

phetaroi, I don't think you get the point I am trying, maybe clumsily, to make, popping a few Baht under the table to grease the wheels or to push you to the front of the queue is wrong, be it to the police, Land Registry Office or any other Government Official, though I agree with you that it is not evil, and I might in similar circumstances be tempted to do it myself. However, I was recently involved in a court case to recover assets that I had been swindled out of by my former Thai wife, and there had been criminal activity in the process, I was advised by my lawyer that I would have to pay the police a bribe so that they would investigate the alleged crime and and make sure it didn't go on the back burner, I wouldn't do that as I believed that by doing so I would be no better that my former wife who had committed a crime. I spoke to a friend of mine, who happens to be a police sergeant in a police station in the mid Sukhumvit area well known for their dubious activities, and she told me that I could get the case actioned but needed to be polity firm in my dealings with the police adding that I should never go to the police station without my lawyer. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I stuck to my guns, refused to pay the bribe and it went to court, were I made my case and reached a satisfactory conclusion which meant I would get my money back.

I think the point I am trying to make is that there is a subtle difference between paying a few Baht under the table to cut out the line, and the rampant corruption and extortion that riddles the police force.

What I cannot agree with is the point made by "trickcyclist"

If you want rampant murder/thievery etc in this country, get rid of the present system, because if you do there will no incentive to have road blocks and consequently, no police presence, ANYWHERE. Then, the highway and bi way thugs, scumbags, muggers, hijackers and thieves will take over.

The roadblocks that are purely designed to extort money from hapless motorists, be they Thai or Expat, do nothing to suppress crime, though they may move it away from that area on temporary basis.

Make no mistake a large amount of crime in this wonderful country is actually organised by the police, how many times have you read in the media about drug rings run by police, car rackets and other financial scams run by the police. How many times have you read about low paid police officers who live in large mansions and have been killed whilst driving luxury cars and adorned with large amounts of gold and wearing Rolex watches. How can a police force that demands bribes to ensure promotion or a choice posting be respected, look at that poor guy in the south recently. How many police officers have been murdered for speaking out about corruption in their ranks? Corruption is a cancer within the police force eating away at it from top to bottom, and slowly destroying this country.

Well I have had my say now, I will continue to air my views about the police corruption and no doubt I will continue to pay a few Baht to get on my way when I am stopped at a road block even though it flies in the face of everything I believe in, however as the OP suggested what this country needs a properly trained and paid police force, though I suspect I will never live long enough to see it.

My experience, I have not have to paid a "fine" for something I wasn't guilty of. No helmet, pay the fine. No drivers license, pay the fine. No tags on the motorcycle, pay the fine. I would rather pay instantly (usually less) than get a ticket and have to go to the station and wait in line and pay a higher fine. Or my new method tell them I am a teacher and I have only a little money, show my work permit to back up my claim and I am almost always told "mai pen rai, bai" translated into "never mind, go on.". I am having great sucess with this method and suggest other teachers to do the same. But I suppose if I wanted to completely eliminate having to pay roadside fines, I could just ride the bus or the train.