Massage Parlour

Jersey Jim

:rolleyes:Hi everybody,

I wonder if anyone can give me any information on taking over an existing shop as a going concern what are the pitfalls.

Has anyone had experiance, with costs involved licences etc, maybe add a beauty salon.

Any help would be appreciated.

J.J

How is the location? Is it in plain view of a well trafficked area? Are there other shops close by?

Most guys hate noisy massage parlors.

Does it have curtained off areas, or separate partitions? Will you be playing proper soft massage music? Will you have a 'please keep conversations at a whispered tone' sign?

Ask customers to turn off cell phones.

Use nice smelling oil.

Have a cistern of Chinese tea.

Make sure that the shower tiles are not slippery.

There are many massage joints in Pats, and low season is almost here. This translates to less cash, so your place would need to stand out.

Remember, that this is not a 'family' destination, so a traditional, and well managed parlor may not do as well as it could in more conservative areas.

IMHO.

Thanks for suggestions,in answer to questions . Yes it is in a good area with shops bars and restaurants and hotels plus appartments there would be soft music nice smelling ois etc.

Not sure about turning off the phones, there are two floors with good showers & toilet facilities.

JJ

I live at the trendy. last count in 2 years seven massage shops have shut down in the condo itself. the walkway between trendy and villa now has seven massage parlours in a 50 meter walk. in the villa arcade there are another five massage parlours. A massive parlour by the trendy pool has just opened at 3,800bht for a 3 hour treatment....yeah right another to be closed down. Must be at least 30-40 massage shops in this area within 5 minute walking distance. how do they make any money??

There are too many massage parlours around, it must be a very competitive business. I can imagine that a Thai family might make an adequate living from it, but I doubt that a farang would be able to generate sufficient income for it to be worthwhile. If you're just buying it as something to keep your teelac occupied, then fine, but I wouldn't see it as the road to riches if I was you.

Having said that, you might look for a niche. Undercut the competition by offering very low prices (this certainly works in the bar beer game, and I know of one 100 Baht massage shop that seems to do good trade). Or perhaps find some special form of massage not generally available - for example, the fish spas seem to do OK at the moment (as do the Soapies out by Sois 3/4, but I don't suppose you want to start one of them... :) ).

Build a better mousetrap, etc. Good luck!

I looked into this as a possible business venture for my Thai wife.

All I can say is; do your research and be honest with the figures. When you consider rent, electric bills, salary and other overheads it is next to impossible to make a profit let alone break-even.

I am 99% convinced that the hundreds of small massage shops you see in Pattaya are legitimate fronts, for cash.

... rent, electric bills, salary and other overheads it is next to impossible to make a profit let alone break-even...

do not forget to always have a good pot of piping hot tea money ready, lotsa tea gulpers around

Thanks everybody for the input I will make sure I research the figures well.

I have had a long talk with the cashier, and it cetainly makes money in the high season, but it is a long low season, will keep you all posted as to the outcome.

jj

Thanks everybody for the input I will make sure I research the figures well.

I have had a long talk with the cashier, and it cetainly makes money in the high season, but it is a long low season, will keep you all posted as to the outcome.

jj

You have to count customers. I know it is old fashioned but you have to do it. No one tells the truth in Thailand let alone Pattaya. Sit across the street or in a hotel room with a window and count everyone who goes in for a week. This will be a very good weeks work. Perhaps the most important for your new business. Then go to Soi Honey and Soi Chaiyapoon and do the same thing for a week each.

Multiply the customers by the average price and deduct your expenses. Make adjustments for the high and low season and you should have an idea how much money you will lose in the first year. Multiply this by 5 and you will know how much you will lose in the first five years. Message me and I will give you my address where you can send my commission for preventing you from losing all that money.

Advice? Run do not walk away from the front door of the shop, run until you are wore out. Mark that point and do not go closer to the shop than that until the urge has left you. Do not pour money into a massage parlour.

Advice? Run do not walk away from the front door of the shop, run until you are wore out. Mark that point and do not go closer to the shop than that until the urge has left you. Do not pour money into a massage parlour.

and may the wind aid you in your flight lolz, I would suggest that quite a few businesses are fronts for money laundering in pattaya -  massage parlours included, i will now be shot down in flames for such speculation and so be it....

I have the money to start A business in Thailand.I also have enought money to not start A business in Thailand.

From everything that I read I think i'd be best off to just relax and have fun.

Avery wise person.^

Massage parlors, beer bars, gogo bars... why does everyone want to do the thing there is the most of, and usually only the Thais make money with?

IMHO, if you have the money to possibly waste and want to make a business here, find something that the locals need year round, not something that lives and dies by the season. This place can be a ghost town in the slow months.

I very nearly went into the massage shop business around 2005 I think. There are numerous reason why I did not but here are the probems I identified.

To be popular you need a good location which means high rent which translates as higher risk.

The standard near Walking Street cut from Bt200 was Bt70 for the girl and Bt130 for the house. People were poaching girls with higher cuts.

The product was price driven. Bt200 signs were the marketing tool of choice. Using higher prices would instantly mean either everyone copied you or you had no business.

Air conditioning costs are high, even when you have no customers.

The quality of the masseuses is highly variable and there is no standard quality threshold. Thus, charging higher prices for better quality is not possible in the traditional business model.

I knew the Mandara Spa from the Marriott hotels and I'd used that a number of times. I looked into providing that level of service without the Marriott price tag, though substantially higher than the Bt200 people. The investment in space and fixtures and fittings meant a long road to profitability and thus the idea at that level was ditched.

I wanted to charge around Bt300/500 for 1 or 2 hours, effectively putting the price up to Bt250 an hour. Girls could have Bt100 an hour and I'd take Bt150 an hour or Bt200 from the one hour.

The maths is simple as there are no other real services or sales. If each girl can do 4 hours a day then she makes you Bt600 per day and she makes Bt400 per day plus tips. If you had 20 girls, then you would make Bt12,000 a day or Bt360,000 a month before expenses. The trouble is that you would need 80 customer hours a day to generate that and over say 8 peak hours opening, you would need up to 10 areas for massage, which generally means a second or third floor and then you are talking bigger rents and more aircon and you could easily see bills of Bt100,000 to Bt150,000 a month.

Trouble now is that you have mid market places which did not exist 5 years ago so that market is lost. Some places actually give you a floral foot bath for free, which is very nice but increases costs. However, the main problem continues to be the Bt200 advertising slogan.

However, the main problem continues to be the Bt200 advertising slogan.

I've had quite a few 200 baht massages in Pattaya. Most were barely worth that. The real problem is that most of the girls don't have a clue how to give a good massage.

I've had quite a few 200 baht massages in Pattaya. Most were barely worth that. The real problem is that most of the girls don't have a clue how to give a good massage.

I have "sacked" a few in my time and when I found a good one in a certain salon, I would get her telephone number and phone her when I wanted a massage and see if she was free.

My main beef with the Bt200 massage as a business concept is that it caters to the bottom end, most of whom could not tell a good massage from a bad one.

Do a significant percentage of the customers care whether the girls give good massages or not?

I am not talking about places which deal in sex, but to a degree, I think many people like the aircon on a hot day and others pick the prettiest masseuse they can find and want to chat to her incessantly during the massage.

Many blokes like to chug on a few beers while they get a foot massage !

JJ. I would say if you are a Thai national - go for it. If you are not no way in hel_l.

Torrenova - massage in BKK is 100 baht per hour. The shop I go does a land office business. Sometimes all the masseusses are booked - prolly have 20-25 cubicles plus 10 foot massage chairs.

JJ. I would say if you are a Thai national - go for it. If you are not no way in hel_l.

Torrenova - massage in BKK is 100 baht per hour. The shop I go does a land office business. Sometimes all the masseusses are booked - prolly have 20-25 cubicles plus 10 foot massage chairs.

I'm sure that in rural Thailand it is Bt50 or so but catering to the tourist market, the main price in Pattaya is Bt200. In the estates outside Pattaya then the figures are less but so are the rents and the number of customers is near zero.

It is not like selling Heineken. A masseuse can only do so much in a day but a waitress can sell a near unlimited number of bottles of beer. At Bt100 there is nothing left to pay bills or for profits in Pattaya.

I'm sure that in rural Thailand it is Bt50 or so but catering to the tourist market, the main price in Pattaya is Bt200. In the estates outside Pattaya then the figures are less but so are the rents and the number of customers is near zero.

It is not like selling Heineken. A masseuse can only do so much in a day but a waitress can sell a near unlimited number of bottles of beer. At Bt100 there is nothing left to pay bills or for profits in Pattaya.

In the sticks you will pay around 120 Baht or so for a foot and leg massage, 200 Baht for a Thai or Oil massage.

I paid 500 Baht yesterday for a 2 hour oil massage and 1 hour foot massage.

The day before another Falang did the same - between us, we covered the rent for a week.

PS - in Bangkok near Bayoke Sky the massage shops were charging 200 baht foot massage 500 baht oil massage (and NO happy ending !).

Edited by Chaimai

Can you please tell if the girls give a "happy ending" or not.

Two very distinct business the professionals and the "happy ending" ones.

I have a professional one on Koh Samui and gives a profit of 20.000 baht / month.

In the sticks you will pay around 120 Baht or so for a foot and leg massage, 200 Baht for a Thai or Oil massage.

I paid 500 Baht yesterday for a 2 hour oil massage and 1 hour foot massage.

The day before another Falang did the same - between us, we covered the rent for a week.

PS - in Bangkok near Bayoke Sky the massage shops were charging 200 baht foot massage 500 baht oil massage (and NO happy ending !).

Yes, I would go along with that and perhaps a bit cheaper. A small shop on Soi Khao Talo can cost a mere 5k a month or around 1k a week. if your shop and you are working yourself, then you need 50 hours a month to cover the rent at Bt120 (less 20 costs) per hour. Yet I know a place which probably fails to get that, just because it is in the wrong place, has too much competition and doesn't have aircon. There is a minimum size to make it viable.

Been going to one for over 4 years and its a good massage shop,with experienced girls and the odd new one

Been going to one for over 4 years and its a good massage shop,with experienced girls and the odd new one

I suppose it depends on how fussy the customer is. What you call a good massage maybe a bad one for me.

I suppose it depends on how fussy the customer is. What you call a good massage maybe a bad one for me.

Whilst I expect a fairly decent massage wherever I go, I am far more willing to put up with a moderate massage from a Bt200 place than I am from a top dollar place or even a spa. I also think the rise in spa popularity has pushed prices way over the top in certain places. For instance, I used to use the Mandara Spa at the Marriott Spa in Bangkok but they more than doubled price of the 1/2 day packages in just a couple of years. It went from an expensive luxury to an outrageous rip off.