Dubai

Capealava

I just read about a couple who were arrested for kissing and drinking alcohol in a restaurant. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8602449.stm

I have never been there. I am wondering what is the attraction or desire to visit a place where you can be arrested for kissing or drinking alcohol. How can such Muslim puritan attitudes attract tourists. If someone complains that you are kissing in public --what about wearing a short skirt or a swim suit.

Is Dubai just a business center or do people actually go there as tourists ??

Happy to be in Thailand

Actually, in a lot of countries, also in the west, there are laws against "showing affection in public" (lewd behaviour) or drinking in same.

I do know a few years ago one could not drink a pint outside the premises of the pub.

Not all laws are enforced, but they are there.

I am not certain, but I think there is a law in Thailand against kissing or showing affection in public.

If not, there are many Thai people who think it is not done.

About drinking in public, like smoking, I guess it might both be forbidden by law, but who cares?

Edited by hansnl

Dubai, this place is one of the worst places on earth to go, I don't recommend that anyone ever goes there, as an extension of this I personally boycott the Emirates airline and will never travel with them as a matter of principal.

They will look for any excuse to throw people in prison, no matter how small.

I rue the day I get to meet someone from Dubai in my day to day dealings so I can exact some measure of revenge on them on behalf of what I believe to be the wrongs done to the rest of the worlds population. Given the chance I would make them pay in full the debt that they owe.

Dubai, this place is one of the worst places on earth to go, I don't recommend that anyone ever goes there, as an extension of this I personally boycott the Emirates airline and will never travel with them as a matter of principal.

I rue the day I get to meet someone from Dubai in my day to day dealings so I can exact some measure of revenge on them on behalf of what I believe to be the wrongs done to the rest of the worlds population. Given the chance I would make them pay in full the debt that they owe.

:)

If you think Dubai is bad you ought to try Yemen or Colombia.

Spend time in Saudi Arabia. Dubai is a paradise. The OP dosn't know when he is will off.

The difference is that Yemen and Columbia do not advertise themselves as a Tourist Mecca. It seems there is a contradiction. If you enjoy yourself you get thrown in Prison or fined.

The difference is that Yemen and Columbia do not advertise themselves as a Tourist Mecca. It seems there is a contradiction. If you enjoy yourself you get thrown in Prison or fined.

No, learn something of the culture and the country you plane to visit and it will eliminate a lot of problems.

If you are from the west and visit a middle eastern country with out some investigation of its history and culture you are just being plane stupid and asking for trouble.

No, learn something of the culture and the country you plane to visit and it will eliminate a lot of problems.

If you are from the west and visit a middle eastern country with out some investigation of its history and culture you are just being plane stupid and asking for trouble.

Well said gotlost, I've been working in Oman and the Emirates for over ten years and its only western dumbarses who don't bother doing there homework before coming into country or choose to ignore the laws. Strangely enough these countries their own laws on what its citzens & foreigners can and can't do.

Sharjah just outside Dubai is worse.

I was in Sharjah, had to drive about 30 minutes up the road to a bar in another Emirate so that I could have a beer with my mates, cost us 50AED to get in, and one beer free, the bouncer made David Haye look like Stan Laurel.

I was in Sharjah, had to drive about 30 minutes up the road to a bar in another Emirate so that I could have a beer with my mates, cost us 50AED to get in, and one beer free, the bouncer made David Haye look like Stan Laurel.

I used to fly out to join ships in Sharjah. All the good hotels had a nightclub in the basement where you could buy as much booze as you wanted.

Spend time in Saudi Arabia. Dubai is a paradise. The OP dosn't know when he is will off.

One of the Gray Mackenzie pilots took us into Jeddah. He bludged a pack of Wall's bacon off the cook and was arrested as he left the ship.

Sharjah was the only Emirate you could get booze in during Ramadan or other religious holidays.

And it's obvious you've never been there

I've had stopovers in places such as Abu Dhabi,Muscat and Bahrain and other than work or transit cannot really see a reason to visit. I only fly sometimes via Dubai with no stopover so have no first hand experience,however as has been mentioned it is very important to research your destination and this I have done with Dubai and from what I have read,seen and also heard in the news leaves me with no desire to visit such a place as a tourist. If I chose to visit a jungle then the Amazon might spring to mind,the trees there are apparently of the concrete free variety. Just my opinion of course,each to their own as they say.

BTW what's the problem with Columbia? I stayed away from any possible trouble spots and had a very enjoyable sojourn across the border and beyond from Venezuela.

BTW what's the problem with Columbia? I stayed away from any possible trouble spots and had a very enjoyable sojourn across the border and beyond from Venezuela.

Whenever we visited (to load bananas :) ) company instructions were to strip everything movable from the decks, always carry a knife or marlinspike, never walk the deck alone and always lock your cabin door whether in or out of it. I think they were put in place as a result of incidents that had happened in the past. We were in Turbo which apparently is one of the rougher towns in Colombia. Chiquita!

Edited by endure

Sharjah was the only Emirate you could get booze in during Ramadan or other religious holidays.

Spent a year working in Bahrain in the mid 80s and no problem buying booze but then it aint part of the Emirates.

Thursday night was the big one with the Londoner Bar (wonder if still there) with wall to wall page 3s...Gulf Air Flight attendants...Great Craik :)

you seem to be one narrow minded clown.

I lived & worked in Yemen, for a couple of years, and have fond memories of the country & its people. I was very amused, a few years later, to work for an airline which had once wet-leased planes to Yemenia, and had considered Sanaa (the capital) a hardship-posting ! In fact it was perfectly liveable, if you could reduce your expectations, to what was locally available.

Of course you had to respect the local laws & culture, especially anyone carrying a gun (much of the population), but that's equally true here or back in the UK.

Then again, Dubai does try to sell itself as an international-class destination, and place to invest or live, which may be a little bit of a stretch ?

Stopped over for three days on way to Uk and enjoyed the experience. Stayed in hotel overlooking the Creak and did the City Tour including the old town and spice markets etc.

Local people very helpful as was Emirates who travelled with. The A380 was light years ahead of any thing I have flown. That's my view any way.

One of the Gray Mackenzie pilots took us into Jeddah. He bludged a pack of Wall's bacon off the cook and was arrested as he left the ship.

while waiting to check out in sunrise market, my mate notice some crisps ( later we found out it was fried pita bread strips)

and aske what they were, without thinking I said "looks like fried pork rinds"

got a lot of looks, got real quiet ( even the background music seemed to quit for a bit_)

we paid up and got our forthwith

There are double standards in Dubai. All the regular Muslim rules apply but most are flouted openly or adjusted to suit the purpose. For example, it is considered "haram", or unclean, to lend money on credit, which means that credit cards are technically unacceptable. So the credit card companies don't call it "interest", they call it "variable monthly service fees" There you are. Job done.

To drink alcohol, you're supposed to get a liquor licence and if you're Muslim you're not allowed one. But there are literally thousands of bars and restaurants serving alcohol to anyone over 21 who asks for it. I know a couple of bars that are frequented mainly by Arab men dressed in "national dress". In fairness, I must say they're a reasonably friendly crowd and wouldn't go out of their way to make a non-Arab feel uncomfortable. It's quite a bizarre sight the first time you see them playing darts and drinking lager, dressed in their dishdashas. They also love to watch the English football on TV and really get into it, just like in any other pub. The most popular team is Liverpool, because apparently they used to come here frequently in the late 70s and early 80s to play unpublicised but no doubt highly lucrative friendlies against local teams. Again, quite bizarre to be in a bar and hear the guys chanting Leave Air Pool, Leave Air Pool!

Many women wear the abaya and headscarves, but just as many walk around in very sexy, revealing outfits and that includes Arabic women too. There's also a massive sex industry, with its workers mostly from China or the ex-Russian states, as there is with more or less any city that is founded on sea trade. The workers tend to cluster in one or the other of about half a dozen bars that everyone in the city knows about. Generally the law turns a blind eye, but makes a highly public crackdown every couple of years.

The latest case about the couple kissing seems to have several different versions of events of what really happened. The general feeling is that they've been treated very harshly, especially in a place that relies on tourism for a lot of its income. On the other hand, a year or so ago there was another well publicised case about an English couple who were actually at it on a public beach, both of them drunk as skunks. The general feeling there was that they got what was coming to them. Apparently they were politely asked once to stop by a policeman who came past a while alter to find them still gojng at it, and the woman gave him a load of verbal abuse.

I've lived in Dubai for eight years, although I'm delighted to say taht I leave at the end of this month as I have a new job - in Bangkok!

I have lived in Dubai for about 11 years now, it's getting more and more ridiculous, this kissing thing isn't the only thing that has been happening.

Dubai has a lot of 'rules' which are never enforced unless they want to get you something else. You're technically not supposed to be drinking at home with a booze licence, the fact you can drive to Umn Al Quain (45 mins away) and buy it from the shop there (owned by Sheikh of UAQ) is neither here nor there. If you act like a git THEN they'll decide to get you on something else.

Not supposed to be signs of affection but no one cares ... UNLESS someone complains or the wrong copper is bored. It's pretty stupid, there is a lot of call for clarification on these things here at the moment, what is and isn't exactly allowed. They're never keen on putting in proper boundaries as they can't use the leeway to their own advantage when they see fit.

Any kind of drinking and being in public after means you are automatically wrong and most of the time the cops don't want to 'open a case' so they threaten people with 'have you been drinking' ... obviously, yes so you'll then not proceed with a case against someone that hit you or did something else.

What makes this 'kissing' thing even more ridiculous is that the people kissing were spotted by an Emirati woman's daughter at 2am in a cafe. This, apparently, is sufficient to have someone jailed. The woman had been tried to be contacted for verification of facts but authorities were unable to contact her for days, then she changed her story, she didn't see anything only he young kid did. Looked like it would be kicked out but now she has a month.

They argued they kissed on the cheek, apparently an Emirati word against anyone else and no other witnesses is enough to jail you. Trust me, there's a lot of talk about it. Woman got raped last year and then arrested as she was having sex (with her boyfriend) out of wedlock ... example of the 'little rules' they get you on if they don't want to prosecute the other side.

These are all Brit related, Westerners, etc ... you have no idea what it's like for the Indian, Pakistani, Filipino community.

The city is mostly empty now, a lot of people in the real estate industry have left, the bottom dropped out, most people got skanked, the real estate authorities don't know how to deal with it ... this is the problem, they don't know how to deal with these things, they have nothing in place. It's the fun place of the Middle East but still really backwards and going back further.

Prostitution is rife, street walkers in some parts of the city that would put lower Sukhumvit to shame! Mostly Arabs picking them up but nothing gets done ... everyone's making money from this, ultimately an Arab local is making money from issuing these girls visas via some front company and it all goes round and round ... no one will say a word but if someone wears a short skirt in a shopping mall by the beach it's like the world has imploded!

Yes, we use to escape from 'other' parts of the middle east to Dubai, as it was a paradise :D .