Us Dollar Account In Thailand

In terms of obtaining U.S. $ here...locally in Thailand...

One thought... there are at Suvarnabhumi Airport at least one or two Siam Commercial Bank ATMs that specifically dispense funds in U.S. $. I've never used them yet (so I don't know their situation regarding fees and exchange rate). But I've been meaning to try them on one of my periodic passes thru the airport....

Given the daily withdrawal limits on ATMs, it wouldn't matter regarding the BKK Bank account, where I believe there also is a $5000 minimum. But it might be helpful, if the Bank of Ayudhya really doesn't have any minimum balance requirement to open.

don't see the advantage in doing this unless u think usd is headed up in value???

B of A and Citicorp have branches in BKK. They probably also offer USD accounts. But don't know for sure.

The B of A branch is only for business accounts. I actually tried to set up an account with them and that is what I was told. Where is the CitiBank branch and do they accept invividual accounts?

Can someone please answer the following questions about the initial deposit of a Foreign Currency Deposit Account?
Also, is physical cash required in order to make the initial deposit?

Does the initial deposit need to be made at the moment of opening the account?

Well at Siam Commercial I was required to deposit cash to open my account. Can't speak for all banks but I would think a minimum deposit would be required.

• 1 year later...
don't see the advantage in doing this unless u think usd is headed up in value???

B of A and Citicorp have branches in BKK. They probably also offer USD accounts. But don't know for sure.

The B of A branch is only for business accounts. I actually tried to set up an account with them and that is what I was told. Where is the CitiBank branch and do they accept invividual accounts?

I contacted CitiBank, 02 788 3335, they told me I needed a work permit or a Thai wife, and the minimum deposit was $5000.

can any kind soul enlighten me why this discussion is going on without reference how the US-Dollar has performed vs. Thai Baht, is performing presently and will (with a high probability) perform in future?

:o