Vinegar

jayenram

I was in the supermarket t'other day buying vinegar for my next batch of pickled onions and I noticed that they had gallons of the stuff and many brands (all white unfortunately). Any one know any Thai dishes that have vinegar in the recipe? I've not come across any and the FG can't stand the taste.

It seems to make the chillie hot kind of 'pop' out at me, is all I can think of. I use in in making a mexican salsa for that effect.

Oh, and it makes a great cleaner, too. I use it in my pool and bathroom quite often...

Edited by Ajarn

A lot of the 'sweet and sour' dishes use white vinegar as the 'sour'

The relishes used with TawtMan Bplah (Fish fritters) and Por Piah (Spring Rolls) also use it.

There again, white vinegar is dilute Acetic Acid which has industrial uses and is useful for cleaning some metals in the home (mix some with common salt and scrub it on your copper botton pans!)

There may be a more subversive use if large qauntities are involved. There again, they might be small shopholders stocking up there shelves for local retail sales.

Normally we dont use like pure Vinegar for salad like Europeans. As you can notice Chinese food with some dips like vinegar mix with sugar and chillie , then made it cook for one or 2 mins then cucumbers or plum sauce with vinegar. Thai vinegar is like acid, have to use only very little small amout mix with water or sugar. Better avoid thai vinegar for noodle, it gives you only bad effects, better use lemon or lime instead of vinegar. Chinese food using mostly vinegar, thai food using lemon or tamarind to make sauce. Better buy apple vinegar for your salad.

:o

At most every Thai restaurant there are condiments and one is a clear liquid with sliced yellow peppers floating in it...it is called nahm som....the clear liquid is vinegar. Also pak dong (pickled vegetables) are made with vinegar sometimes.

Also if you have something that is galvanized and want to remove the zinc coating you can soak it in vinegar and it will dissolve off the zinc.

Edited by chownah

In my Thai shop in UK, before I sold it, we used to cater for filipino's as well. Their food is not so different, but we sold 10 different types of filipino vinegar, compared to I type of Thai vinegar.

• 3 weeks later...
At most every Thai restaurant there are condiments and one is a clear liquid with sliced yellow peppers floating in it...it is called nahm som....the clear liquid is vinegar.  Also  pak dong (pickled vegetables) are made with vinegar sometimes.

Also if you have something that is galvanized and want to remove the zinc coating you can soak it in vinegar and it will dissolve off the zinc.

As said above every Thai noodle dish, be it soup or fried, needs a touch of vinegar. It is also used when preparing fish for cooking (or so I am told - I do not do the murder in the kitchen routine myself).

Oh, and it makes a great cleaner, too. I use it in my pool and bathroom quite often...

Definitely right! Nothing like vinegar and newspapers for cleaning windows!

It's also great if you have Ants in the house. Pour some vinegar into your mop bucket with water and mop the floor with it. Ants hate the stuff.

Mr BoJ