Bike Driving Licence

hi Everyone,

Hope you can help - am just about to apply for Thai driving licence, but thought i'd get a licence for my missus (not Thai) too...

She's never driven / riden before and i want her to learn to ride a scooter...

Can i apply for a provisional licence, so she can ride a scooter with L plates (if they have such things over here).

Thanks in advance.....

No L plates here, many just drive without any license :)

I don't know if there is a place where you can actually learn to drive bike, as most Thais drive around as kids and if they survive they can go and take the test for bike and they are OK.

My wife (Thai) didn't have the licence either, so she drove around for app. 6 month before proceeding and got the teroie and practical test.

I know in Pattaya we have places where you can learn to drive a car but if they also do for bike is unknown.

Maybe your wife can start learn in a safe area like a village/condo area so she gets some practice first and learn how to operate the scooter which is by the way very easy to drive.

If you go to the transport office to get a licence, you will have to bring your own vehicle to take the test on, he-he. :D

No L plates here, many just drive without any license :D

I don't know if there is a place where you can actually learn to drive bike, as most Thais drive around as kids and if they survive they can go and take the test for bike and they are OK.

My wife (Thai) didn't have the licence either, so she drove around for app. 6 month before proceeding and got the teroie and practical test.

I know in Pattaya we have places where you can learn to drive a car but if they also do for bike is unknown.

Maybe your wife can start learn in a safe area like a village/condo area so she gets some practice first and learn how to operate the scooter which is by the way very easy to drive.

If you go to the transport office to get a licence, you will have to bring your own vehicle to take the test on, he-he. :D

Or pay THB50 to rent a bike there :)

Almost every farang rider i know in Thailand, just uses the licence from their own country to show the cops here - and it works.

200 baht folded up under the licence helps too.

Correct regarding the home country DL, but if the shit really hit the fan then what. Most farangs I know in Patts have local DL's.

I have local DL's for both car and bike here and it will give me more rights in case of an accident. Oh by the way if you have a local DL you can get in to many attractions at Thai prices which are typical 25% of tourist prices, so in that regard my local DL's have been paid many times over. :)

Almost every farang rider i know in Thailand, just uses the licence from their own country to show the cops here - and it works.

Thai driving licence is for getting into places at Thai prices, enter national park as ferrang 200/400bht, enter with Thai driving licence 20/40bht.

In Chiang Mai taking the Thai licence could not be easier. A couple of quick tests to check your peripheral/colour vision and reaction times and then 30 questions on a computer of which you have to get 23 correct and a short practical around their own course. Ride about 10m on a 6 inch wide slightly raised rail and ride in and out of a few cones. You have to bring your own bike though. Say what you like but at least they are more than willing to change the language of the computer just for you. As has already been said you also get cheaper entry into parks and forests. It is not worth the hassle, go get a license, the local Police understand the local license better, they will usually smile and wave you on your way. Though I have to admit, in Issan they sometimes stare in wonderment. The car license is much the same deal.

In Chiang Mai taking the Thai licence could not be easier. A couple of quick tests to check your peripheral/colour vision and reaction times and then 30 questions on a computer of which you have to get 23 correct and a short practical around their own course. Ride about 10m on a 6 inch wide slightly raised rail and ride in and out of a few cones. You have to bring your own bike though. Say what you like but at least they are more than willing to change the language of the computer just for you. As has already been said you also get cheaper entry into parks and forests. It is not worth the hassle, go get a license, the local Police understand the local license better, they will usually smile and wave you on your way. Though I have to admit, in Issan they sometimes stare in wonderment. The car license is much the same deal.

Yep. Same thing I experienced. Except I did rent a bike to perform the test from the food vendor next to the track: 50 baht. With a half-flat front tire that kept squirming on the rail, yikes ;<) I'd never ridden a bike smaller than a 1968 Suzuki 250, and that was back when I was 14 ('69).....the test was like riding a toy. Honda 50 or something, not new for sure. Grabbed the handlebars and give a slight turn? Front tire didn't move, sidewalls just kind of "gave" a little bit, hahaha. Tire too flat. I told the bike owner and the DMV tester " I am Farang: too Pom Pui, make tire flat", they laughed, I laughed, no one lost face: I passed.

But as you say, easy and no excuse not to do. I think less than two hours, maybe a few minutes more, I had both licenses, no hassles at all.

Yep. Same thing I experienced. Except I did rent a bike to perform the test from the food vendor next to the track: 50 baht. With a half-flat front tire that kept squirming on the rail, yikes ;<) I'd never ridden a bike smaller than a 1968 Suzuki 250, and that was back when I was 14 ('69).....the test was like riding a toy. Honda 50 or something, not new for sure. Grabbed the handlebars and give a slight turn? Front tire didn't move, sidewalls just kind of "gave" a little bit, hahaha. Tire too flat. I told the bike owner and the DMV tester " I am Farang: too Pom Pui, make tire flat", they laughed, I laughed, no one lost face: I passed.

But as you say, easy and no excuse not to do. I think less than two hours, maybe a few minutes more, I had both licenses, no hassles at all.

How much time did it take for you? Heard about the 'instructional' period, is it mandatory?

• 4 weeks later...

The part about the police loving the Thai driving license is absolutely correct. I was pulled over on Saturday by traffic cops in Pattaya on a general check, on the new fast road out of Pattaya. I pulled out my Thai driving license and carried on getting out other documents I carry with me and in the car - passport, car insurance, copies of ownership etc... He said -'no need more - you have Thai license - very good' - The whole stop took less than 2 minutes.

I have some friends coming over from the UK for a few months and they need some transport. Would someone please confirm what I am about to tell them is correct as they want to be 100 percent legal. Thanks very much for you help:-

1. you need an International Driving license to drive a motorbike or car.

2. you need a motorbike license to drive a motorbike - if you dont have this then insurance is invalid

3. you cannot buy nor own a car on a tourist visa

4. I cannot buy a car for you as you would not be insured

5. you can buy a motor bike and put in your own name

6. you must wear crashhelmets

Thanks very much for your help

Then you know other foreigners then i. Also if you get into an accident its much better to have a thai one.

I have some friends coming over from the UK for a few months and they need some transport. Would someone please confirm what I am about to tell them is correct as they want to be 100 percent legal. Thanks very much for you help:-

2. you need a motorbike license to drive a motorbike - if you dont have this then insurance is invalid

Number 3 is wrong, You can indeed buy and register a car if you have the correct paperwork. number 4 is wrong as its the car itself that is insured (presuming number 1). Rest is ok. The IDP can be got from the AA in the UK. And then when here can be transfered to a Thai licence. i believe the info is stickied at the top of the forum.

1) legally yes (this is debated also) but not in reality.. They accept any license by police but may not be 100% legal for insurance

2) of course.. The IDP should have the motorbike stamp, mine always have even when I had no MB license.

3) technically no, but on the ground they often allow it (technically you need a non imm but my DMV didnt care even on 30 day stamps).

4) Usually car is insured not the driver.. As long as they are fully licensed (see 1).

5) See 3

6) By law yes.. on the ground reality = sometimes.

Number 3 is wrong, You can indeed buy and register a car if you have the correct paperwork. number 4 is wrong as its the car itself that is insured (presuming number 1). Rest is ok. The IDP can be got from the AA in the UK. And then when here can be transfered to a Thai licence. i believe the info is stickied at the top of the forum.

The law says to put a vehicle in your name you must have a non imm visa..

On the gorund this is often ignored, especially in provinces with many farangs, but not always.

It is always good to have your papers in order, that is why I after 8 (yes) years decided it was time for me to get one for myself...

Yesterday I stopped by the transport department, brought a Thai friend since his sister works there... (hoping I could skip any que)...

I got sent to the third floor, just so I could have a test all alone...

(I decided I was going to have some fun with them, they don't speak any English there)...

The first test was a colour test, I could pick the following 3 colours; red, yellow and green-- funny that I picked everthing but those colours... still passed that test...

Next they wanted to check my pherephrial (sp) views.... nose in the machine and look at the lights on your right and left side, what colour are there??? -I don't think I answered correct once... Still, I passed...

Then I had to do the depth vision, matching to sticks along each other... I made the poor woman explain it to me for about 10 minutes, before I put up the OOOHHHHH, ok, I understand.... Guess again, I missed it by as much as I could, still I passed... fun test so I spent a few minutes playing before I was finished...

Last I had to have a brake test... Now, my PCX does not have pedals, neither did my zx12r, or the vfr, or the gsxr, so I complained and told her that I did not have pedals on my bike... She told me that I had to do that test too... ok, I said, sat down on the chair and waited... When the red ligth came on, I had to kick the brake pedal as fast as I could... I guess I used about 10 seconds... At this stage I think she understood and just laughed.... (I passed)...

After that I was dragged back down to the 1st floor, where they issue my license... I paid my 155B and then I took a nice picture... 30 seconds later I was finished and walked out of there with a permission to ride a bike, despite failing all the tests...

I don't advice other people to do this, unless you have alot of spare time (they might get angry and kick you out of there)... I was there all alone, and the girl was quite friendly...

BUT

I do now have a license, and it will be very good to have, just in case of an accident...

PS. I have a bike lisence from back home, which means, I can ride a bike...!!! I would not count on the Thai system to teach me that...

Ride safely and keep the rubber down!