Cheap Hotel Rates Fail To Spark Recovery

george

Tsunami five months on Tourists still keep distance

Cheap hotel rates fail to spark recovery

SOUTH THAILAND: -- Five months after Thailand’s most popular tourist destinations were struck by a devastating tsunami, foreign tourists still have not returned and local businesses are struggling to stay afloat.

Although hotels are offering big reduction on room rates – with 30 per cent the norm – there are few tourists around to take up these offers.

Resort workers and locals on Phi Phi Island welcome the few visitors that have made it to the island.

“We never used to have a low season on Phi Phi. It was busy all year round. Now you can almost count the tourists,” said Jannee Jandamnernpong, a diving instructor.

His diving shop suffered only slight damage during the tsunami and he managed to stay in business. But business has become so bad, it is hardly worth the effort.

While up to 400 divers a month flocked to Phi Phi before the tsunami, the island is now lucky if 40 a month show up.

Sudjai Nukaeo, the owner of an Internet caf? on the island, is having problems just trying to break even.

“Today, I earned only Bt800. But I have to pay Bt20,000 a month for rent and then there is the electricity bill and Internet connection payments.”

Most of the 2,000 hotel rooms on the island before the December 26 tsunami were destroyed. There has been very little rebuilding and only a few hotels are operating.

Patricia Bonislawski, a tourist from Germany, said she was surprised to see how little had been done to revive the island.

“If you wander through the streets you still see the destruction and debris. I’m not going to sunbathe next to a construction site.”

However, in Phuket’s tourist centre of Patong things are nearly back to normal.

There was still some damage remaining near the beaches, but 90 per cent of the reconstruction has been completed, said Mathee Tanmanatragul, the former president of the southern chapter of the Thai Hotels Association.

Only 20 out of the 300 hotels on Phuket were still closed, he said.

However, the hotel occupancy rate in Phuket isn’t any better than on Phi Phi. While normal occupancy in low season is around 50 to 60 per cent, only 25 per cent of the rooms are taken on the island at the moment.

The business people of Patong are frustrated.

Ravin Sethichaiyen, owner of a Subway restaurant in Patong, said his takings are well down from the same period last year.

“Everything is well equipped [for tourism]. Please come and help us, we need you,” he appealed to tourists.

The few tourists in Phuket are mainly from the United States and Australia.

John Gray, who offers canoeing trips in Phang Nga Bay, said European visitors who usually arrive in droves at this time of year are virtually non-existent.

He said Europeans simply misunderstand the distances involved.

“They saw on TV how big the destruction was on Phi Phi and Khao Lak, but they don’t realise that Phuket suffered a lot less damaged.

Khao Lak is as far from Phuket as Manchester is from London,” he said.

“So, if 200 people died in an industrial disaster in Manchester would you cancel your trip to London? Of course not. So, why are people not coming to Phuket?”

Asian tourists are as thin on the ground as Europeans.

Kitti Phatanachinda, vice-president of Phuket Tourist Association, said this was because Asians believe it is bad luck to visit the site of a recent disaster. They believe in the spirit world, which means that if they visit a tragic place they will bring the bad luck back home with them.

He said Phuket probably suffered the most economically from the tsunami.

“Phuket was very hard hit because 80 per cent of the people depend on tourism for their livelihoods. Now that the tourists have gone, the economy is on a downturn.”

Thirty per cent of Thailand’s annual tourism income came from Phuket. But since the tsunami, there has been 77-per-cent less arrivals at Phuket airport and 300,000 people lost their jobs.

Still, people are hoping things will return to normal and the tourists will return to Phuket and Phi Phi for the high season, which begins in November.

But Mathee said Khao Lak would need at least two years to get back on its feet.

“The first tsunami was here and it was gone in an hour. The second “tsunami” in terms of human misery and economic disaster far exceeded the tsunami itself,” said Gray.

The tsunami hasn’t been out of the people’s minds.

“We still talk about the tsunami every day with friends, family or tourists, anyone who wants to know how it was,” said Sybilla Endemann, from the Oasis restaurant in Phi Phi.

--The Nation 2005-05-30

my experience here in BKK... when I tried to book a package flight with hotel and flight to Pucket for 5000 Baht the travel agency told me it was only for Thai people or when flying together with at least one Thai person in the party... and the normal quote for the same period and time and hotel was suddenly about 15000 baht for Farangs .... not sure what to think about this behavior though. One thing is for sure ... my girlfriend does not want to go to Puhket for the obvious reasons ... too many ghosts around and I am convinced many Thai residents are thinking in the same way, therefor with that special order (for Thai people only) there is only a very marginal group of Thai people that will use this opportunity and for Farangs (even resident here) the price stays at the level before the Tsunami

Clevenp - just book direct with the hoteliers and the airlines. You'll find they do more to put together a package that suits you as opposed to the some of these 'travel agents' in Bangkok. Book direct and save. And I have found that if you reply with a counter offer to a hotel's price-offer, they will negotiate. So it's worth the effort.

I believe another reason people stay away from Phuket and other Tsunami struck locations is the thought the bodies still not recovered. Obviously, most people realize that the chance of "bumping" into one of the victims is very slight, but still...

This will take take, though I sympathize with the tourism dependent residents at these locations 100%.

To clevenp: That is a different topic - but true, so true.

Thirty per cent of Thailand’s annual tourism income came from Phuket. But since the tsunami, there has been 77-per-cent less arrivals at Phuket airport and 300,000 people lost their jobs.

As tourism is Thailand's number one source of revenue, when 30% of the industry is down 77%, the implication has the potential for a huge nation-wide effect. Interesting tandom topic with the crash of the housing market on the other new thread. Throw in the losing SET and the baht drop and things aren't looking to hot for Thailand's economy at the moment. :o

my experience here in BKK... when I tried to book a package flight with hotel and flight to Pucket for 5000 Baht the travel agency told me it was only for Thai people or when flying together with at least one Thai person in the party... and the normal quote for the same period and time and hotel was suddenly about 15000 baht for Farangs .... not sure what to think about this behavior though.

Normal, farang are rich :o

One thing is for sure ... my girlfriend does not want to go to Puhket for the obvious reasons ... too many ghosts around and I am convinced many Thai residents are thinking in the same way,

I've been in Phuket and Phi-Phi and have seen only a few ghosts. Nothing to worry much. :D

But seriously, the best way to help people there is to go and stay a few day. They need it as many don't get any help.

Hmmm where are the big deal and super savers,if i open nation or bkk post i dont see any advertising,same in Germany no advertising,so they shouldnt wonder!if i would see an advertising with a good deal i would probably go there for a week or so,and europeans are probably the same,if they can get a great deal they would probably come

Yes I agree with some earlier posts. They haven't dropped their rates that much. It seems to me to be around the normal low season discounting going on. Maybe they just figure going lower won't make a difference anyway..or as one barowner in Bkk once said to me: 'When the going gets tough in Phuket the Chinese Thai hotel owners down there just double their prices on their normal clients" His words..not mine..no racism intended, and I have no idea if it's true..But I don't see any real bargains given the time of year..

About Koh Phi-phi, that's seems obvious that nobody do nothing to help in order to lower the price of the land in order to build big hotel. Someone rich and strong behind? :o  :D

Absolutely. That adds to the frustrations of threads like this. All of them deal with the issue of Phi Phi being "used" by the people you describe:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33774&hl

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31148&hl

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30268&hl

Yes I agree with some earlier posts. They haven't dropped their rates that much. It seems to me to be around the normal low season discounting going on. Maybe they just figure going lower won't make a difference anyway..or as one barowner in Bkk once said to me: 'When the going gets tough in Phuket the Chinese Thai hotel owners down there just double their prices on their normal clients" His words..not mine..no racism intended, and I have no idea if it's true..But I don't see any real bargains given the time of year..

I agree with this, someone should inform TAT about the reductions. The guys selling hotels in the airport too. I live in Chiang Mai we are seeing no changes in any resort prices, Bangkok havnt reuced either. They want their cake and eat it.

Do you maybe wanna rephrase the analogy in your first paragraph????? :D:o:D

Tsunami five months on Tourists still keep distance

Cheap hotel rates fail to spark recovery

SOUTH THAILAND: -- Five months after Thailand’s most popular tourist destinations were struck by a devastating tsunami, foreign tourists still have not returned and local businesses are struggling to stay afloat.

Although hotels are offering big reduction on room rates – with 30 per cent the norm – there are few tourists around to take up these offers.

Resort workers and locals on Phi Phi Island welcome the few visitors that have made it to the island.

“We never used to have a low season on Phi Phi. It was busy all year round. Now you can almost count the tourists,” said Jannee Jandamnernpong, a diving instructor.

His diving shop suffered only slight damage during the tsunami and he managed to stay in business. But business has become so bad, it is hardly worth the effort.

While up to 400 divers a month flocked to Phi Phi before the tsunami, the island is now lucky if 40 a month show up.

Sudjai Nukaeo, the owner of an Internet caf? on the island, is having problems just trying to break even.

“Today, I earned only Bt800. But I have to pay Bt20,000 a month for rent and then there is the electricity bill and Internet connection payments.”

Most of the 2,000 hotel rooms on the island before the December 26 tsunami were destroyed. There has been very little rebuilding and only a few hotels are operating.

Patricia Bonislawski, a tourist from Germany, said she was surprised to see how little had been done to revive the island.

“If you wander through the streets you still see the destruction and debris. I’m not going to sunbathe next to a construction site.”

However, in Phuket’s tourist centre of Patong things are nearly back to normal.

There was still some damage remaining near the beaches, but 90 per cent of the reconstruction has been completed, said Mathee Tanmanatragul, the former president of the southern chapter of the Thai Hotels Association.

Only 20 out of the 300 hotels on Phuket were still closed, he said.

However, the hotel occupancy rate in Phuket isn’t any better than on Phi Phi. While normal occupancy in low season is around 50 to 60 per cent, only 25 per cent of the rooms are taken on the island at the moment.

The business people of Patong are frustrated.

Ravin Sethichaiyen, owner of a Subway restaurant in Patong, said his takings are well down from the same period last year.

“Everything is well equipped [for tourism]. Please come and help us, we need you,” he appealed to tourists.

The few tourists in Phuket are mainly from the United States and Australia.

John Gray, who offers canoeing trips in Phang Nga Bay, said European visitors who usually arrive in droves at this time of year are virtually non-existent.

He said Europeans simply misunderstand the distances involved.

“They saw on TV how big the destruction was on Phi Phi and Khao Lak, but they don’t realise that Phuket suffered a lot less damaged.

Khao Lak is as far from Phuket as Manchester is from London,” he said.

“So, if 200 people died in an industrial disaster in Manchester would you cancel your trip to London? Of course not. So, why are people not coming to Phuket?”

Asian tourists are as thin on the ground as Europeans.

Kitti Phatanachinda, vice-president of Phuket Tourist Association, said this was because Asians believe it is bad luck to visit the site of a recent disaster. They believe in the spirit world, which means that if they visit a tragic place they will bring the bad luck back home with them.

He said Phuket probably suffered the most economically from the tsunami.

“Phuket was very hard hit because 80 per cent of the people depend on tourism for their livelihoods. Now that the tourists have gone, the economy is on a downturn.”

Still, people are hoping things will return to normal and the tourists will return to Phuket and Phi Phi for the high season, which begins in November.

But Mathee said Khao Lak would need at least two years to get back on its feet.

“The first tsunami was here and it was gone in an hour. The second “tsunami” in terms of human misery and economic disaster far exceeded the tsunami itself,” said Gray.

The tsunami hasn’t been out of the people’s minds.

“We still talk about the tsunami every day with friends, family or tourists, anyone who wants to know how it was,” said Sybilla Endemann, from the Oasis restaurant in Phi Phi.

--The Nation 2005-05-30

I was on Bali the day they opened up the bomb site to the public, about 2 weeks after. We just happened to arrive there then. We stayed at a place that was normally 3000 - 4000 baht a night, for only about 400 baht.

Those were the kind of deals they were giving away to get the tourists back.

Two weeks ago, I went to the travel expo at the Queen's convention center, and thee "deals" they were offering for Phuket were worse than prices you could get on the internet. And those prices aren't any different than the prices last year.

The reason why no one is going there is they are trying to get people to come to a place that has a major sense of glum and depression by offering them 10% discounts on hotel rooms.

Not going to happen, people are just going to pay the 10% more and go to Samui.

Phuket has grown quite use to over charging for everything, so to get them to actually give some serious discounts, is harder than getting a government official to do there job, without tea money.

Edited by cutter007

i arrived into phuket the day the second earthquake struck indonesia (end of march) n ill be honest: going there to help them reconstruct n offer support is one thing but spendnig your holiday there just so they're making some money is just silly.

patong beach looked nothing like what it was before. anyone travelling all the way to phuket would want to see phi phi too n thats just a waste..

personally if im to travel to thailand again, i would go to koh samui.. but thats just me.. :o

Phuket has grown quite use to over charging for everything,

phuket , and most other thai resorts .

tourists are not stupid , and they soon cotton on to the overcharging and comedy accounting that goes on here , they read papers , the net and compare notes with other travellers.

treat tourists as welcome guests and not rich suckers and tourism will improve.

I had to go to Phuket (Patong Bech) at the end of April and phoned around a few hotels to try and make a booking. One sounded so disinterested that I called back the next day to check if my booking was recorded. It wasn't. I called another who told me he had lots of rooms for the dates I wanted, but refused to take a booking over the phone, telling me I must book on the internet.

When I got there I found almost nothing has been done there. Much of the beachside walking area is broken or not there at all (northern part of the beach), and many buildings are just shells. There are numerous dark green corregated iron walls blocking off damaged buildings, and there is the smell of wet cement around the few places that are being re-built. Just like report in The Nation about Phi Phi.

Sure, there are people on their version of Walking Street', but the rest of the beach area is the last place I would choose for a holiday.

Another thing - the touts are out trying to sell suits as usual because they're too stupid to realise that the last thing someone wants to buy when they're on a beach holiday in the tropics is to buy a suit. I was walking behind what I'd guess was a Scandinavian foursome, and when they turned down the offer of buying the tout said '<deleted> you and <deleted> you' to each couple. Nice way to try and encourage tourists back.

my experience here in BKK... when I tried to book a package flight with hotel and flight to Pucket for 5000 Baht the travel agency told me it was only for Thai people or when flying together with at least one Thai person in the party... and the normal quote for the same period and time and hotel was suddenly about 15000 baht for Farangs .... not sure what to think about this behavior though. One thing is for sure ... my girlfriend does not want to go to Puhket for the obvious reasons ... too many ghosts around and I am convinced many  Thai residents are thinking in the same way, therefor with that special order (for Thai people only) there is only a very marginal group of Thai people that will use this opportunity and for Farangs (even resident here) the price stays at the level before the Tsunami

Yeah places everwhere are offering 400 bt per night . No problems , especially now its very quiet right now here. :o

Recent posters

Planning maybe a few days in phuket next mth

Recommendations....looking for four five star at least 60% off

After all in a four star they will keep the staff employed in the bars and restaurants.

Thirty percent off is not even worth considering given how overpriced and over blown Phuket is.

my experience here in BKK... when I tried to book a package flight with hotel and flight to Pucket for 5000 Baht the travel agency told me it was only for Thai people or when flying together with at least one Thai person in the party... and the normal quote for the same period and time and hotel was suddenly about 15000 baht for Farangs .... not sure what to think about this behavior though. One thing is for sure ... my girlfriend does not want to go to Puhket for the obvious reasons ... too many ghosts around and I am convinced many  Thai residents are thinking in the same way, therefor with that special order (for Thai people only) there is only a very marginal group of Thai people that will use this opportunity and for Farangs (even resident here) the price stays at the level before the Tsunami

Yeah places everwhere are offering 400 bt per night . No problems , especially now its very quiet right now here. :o

I had to go to Phuket (Patong Bech) at the end of April and phoned around a few hotels to try and make a booking. One sounded so disinterested that I called back the next day to check if my booking was recorded. It wasn't. I called another who told me he had lots of rooms for the dates I wanted, but refused to take a booking over the phone, telling me I must book on the internet.

When I got there I found almost nothing has been done there. Much of the beachside walking area is broken or not there at all (northern part of the beach), and many buildings are just shells. There are numerous dark green corregated iron walls blocking off damaged buildings, and there is the smell of wet cement around the few places that are being re-built. Just like report in The Nation about Phi Phi.

Sure, there are people on their version of Walking Street', but the rest of the beach area is the last place I would choose for a holiday.

Another thing - the touts are out trying to sell suits as usual because they're too stupid to realise that the last thing someone wants to buy when they're on a beach holiday in the tropics is to buy a suit. I was walking behind what I'd guess was a Scandinavian foursome, and when they turned down the offer of buying the tout said '<deleted> you and <deleted> you' to each couple. Nice way to try and encourage tourists back.

[/quote

I agree with things going slowly up at the beach front , i mean come on McDonalds isnt even done yet and how long has it been and how much money does mickey D's have ? :o

Recent posters

Planning maybe a few days in phuket next mth

Recommendations....looking for four five star at least 60% off

After all in a four star they will keep the staff employed in the bars and restaurants.

Thirty percent off is not even worth considering given how overpriced and over blown Phuket is.

Yeah places everwhere are offering 400 bt per night . No problems , especially now its very quiet right now here. :D

I would just come down here , you will find that when youre here and in person you get a better rate. They dont want you to go somewhere else thats for sure . Bangla Rd is so quiet right now ! :o

Call the Phuket Palace Resort, they have rooms and will be more than happy to take your booking. (66 76) 344 154 www.phuketpalace.com

I will test them and report.

Call the Phuket Palace Resort, they have rooms and will be more than happy to take your booking. (66 76) 344 154 www.phuketpalace.com

I'm afraid I shall not be able to visit Phuket until a 2,000-unit Spirit House condominium is built in an auspicious location, gathering full sunlight during the entire day, with a daily troupe of Thai dancers to entertain, appease and otherwise occupy the new residents.

Otherwise, too many angry lost spirits around causing harm.

Surprising that no one recognizes the tourist potential for such a thing, attracting both Thai and foreigner who must pay for offerings......

:o

kenk3z

Phuket has grown quite use to over charging for everything,

phuket , and most other thai resorts .

tourists are not stupid , and they soon cotton on to the overcharging and comedy accounting that goes on here , they read papers , the net and compare notes with other travellers.

treat tourists as welcome guests and not rich suckers and tourism will improve.

I agree 100%

My last trip to phuket discouraged me from ever going back. It's a beautiful place but the money grubbin people who get pissed off at you for not buying anything off of them or not letting them rip you off, just turned me off. Until I hear or read about an attitude change toward tourists , I don't think I will be back.

PKG

I will be in Phuket for six or seven days in July '05 my way of helping a little, I was in Pattaya with plan to go to Phuket when the tsunami hit. I want to go mostly to find out what happen to a few people I know at some of the hotels that I have stayed, a girl who work at Hageen Dasz, the ladeis on the beach who gave me wonderful foot massage bring me food and even gave a gift last visit, the girls at the travel agency who let me borrow her bike first time she met me etc.

I feel bad for the guy who own the Subway shop it could of been me, came close a year ago to buy and open a franchise in Patong, I have to stop by there for a sandwich. The hotel can sure drop their price a little more, the hotel (Patong Bay Garden) I use to stay went upscale you would think they would send me a post card offering me a discount for staying there over and over in the past, no. I am still waiting to see add for Phuket on TV in New York, it would be expensive but the goverment could issue discount vourcher for hotel in the areas that were afected, they should know name and address of those of us who come over and over.

I am going anyway to spend some money so if you guys know some good place I should visit, hotel, shop, bars any business that you like for me to throw some patronage while I am there let me know.

Is it just the Tsunami that is affecting the number of tourists visiting? here in kanchanaburi it is quieter than i have ever seen. Is it the same all over? maybe Samui is doing ok as it will pick up the surples beach trade that doesn't wish to visit the disaster struck area's. Is the north showing a decline in numbers too? Maybe all the bad press and bad luck the last few years with the combination of bird flu, sars, musslims killing and being killed etc etc is also affecting tourists idea of Thailand as a destination. 15 years ago i could walk into a British pub and be the only one there who had spent any time in Thailand, now 50% of the pub has been there too. When Thailand has bad luck or does something silly it is talked about by a lot of people, it can not hide behide being unknown so it doesnt matter any more. I think the word on the street around the world has tainted Thailand some what lately and maybe this is also affecting numbers. This is just an opinion to maybe raise some other opinions that may be better informed it would be interesting to know whats going on with numbers else where.

my experience here in BKK... when I tried to book a package flight with hotel and flight to Pucket for 5000 Baht the travel agency told me it was only for Thai people or when flying together with at least one Thai person in the party... and the normal quote for the same period and time and hotel was suddenly about 15000 baht for Farangs .... not sure what to think about this behavior though.

Normal, farang are rich :o

One thing is for sure ... my girlfriend does not want to go to Puhket for the obvious reasons ... too many ghosts around and I am convinced many Thai residents are thinking in the same way,
I've been in Phuket and Phi-Phi and have seen only a few ghosts. Nothing to worry much. :D

But seriously, the best way to help people there is to go and stay a few day. They need it as many don't get any help.