State Of Emergency Decree Imposed In Bangkok

george

What's the latest? There is too much old lady and old man gossip here.... don't people have things to do? What's actually happening with the red-shirts?

They're stripping down and have declared they will now be known as the 'white undies'.

streaking.jpg

sorry, can't help it: thx 4 another insight into your mindset.

if i'd analyze it in terms of classic aesthetics - obviously we see a bull/ram charging adonis :-)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They were all voted in as MP's at the last general election. It's then up to the MP's to form a group or group of groups large enough to have something called a majority. If a majority group is formed they get to choose the Prime Minister and the rest of the Government. Didn't you learn this in primary school like everyone else ?

Alright . They voted themselves in power thai style with a little help from the courts .

Its perfectly legal .... in Thailand .

Coz havent heard of any other democratic country IN THE WORLD where such thing have happened .

Anyway whats the point to argue now .

PS Edit : If anyone here has heard of a similar story outside Thailand please provide a link .

I know the current government in Israel by the second largest party. The largest party could not form a government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_legis..._election,_2009

Theres a lot to trawl through there, but if you go to the bottom and see the results then read about the coalition formation. Hopefully you know what I mean.

Olmert (2006–2009)

Shimon Peres discusses the future of Israel

On January 4, 2006 Prime Minister Sharon suffered a massive stroke and went into a coma, in which he still remains.

Designated Acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert took power, becoming interim Prime Minister 100 days after Sharon's incapacitation.

He did not become full Prime Minister due to elections being held in March and a new government being formed.

Following the March 2006 elections, which left Kadima as the largest party in the Knesset, Olmert became prime minister.

He included Labour, Shas and Gil in a 67-seat coalition.

In November 2006, Yisrael Beiteinu (11 seats) also joined the government, but departed from the coalition in January 2008.

Olmert stood down as Prime Minister on 31 March 2009

after the opposition Likud party headed by Benjamin Netanyahu gained enough support in the 120 seat Knesset to govern.

The Likud party won 27 seats in the 2009 elections, a net gain of 15 seats.

Netanyahu (2009–present)

On 31 March 2009 the Knesset approved the appointment of Benjamin Netanyahu as Prime Minister with Netanyahu's government taking office the following day, 1 April 2009.

Party Votes % Seats +/–

Kadima 758,032 22.47% 28 −1

Likud 729,054 21.61% 27 +15

Yisrael Beiteinu 394,577 11.70% 15 +4

Labor Party 334,900 9.93% 13 –6

Shas 286,300 8.49% 11 – 1

Looks very close to the same situation.

All it took was one man to step down and a change in alliances.

Okay... given what I see on TV right now, there must be at least 50K people clapping and cheering the red-shirt leaders at Rajprasong. This can end in only a couple of ways... (1) thousands of people driven away by riot gear - a lot of injuries, perhaps a few killed, or (2) the Army General declares a coup and all is well (?!), (3) nothing happens and we are still stuck in time...waiting for either (1) or (2) to happen....

The big difference with the past is that, NOW, Thailand is an industrial Country, and who are the basic workers running the production for the profit of the Elite: northern guys and girls, as it has been often underlined.

So if there is a riot the response will be probably be a General strike... and the Elite has perfectly understood the risk, the huge impact on potential investors (japanese for example) who will be heading to Vietnam or Malaysia where the risk of work stoppages are nil: this is one of the reason why Abhisit is loosing some supports.....

Even in this day and age, I don't think I've ever heard of a major, well organized strike, have you? I just don't think the concept of organized labor has made it to this country yet.

Suthep basically said that the Thai people shouldn't be worried and they shouldn't believe the lies ...and that the government will protect the Thai people.

That's basically it.

Suthep comes across as boring and ineffectual... but I'll bet when it comes to violence and being ruthless, he gets things done. Stay tuned for The Suthep Hour.....

sitting here in my condo in chiang mai.<br />building cable has 6 thai channels.<br /><br />ALL now are showing some thai dude in glasses speaking.<br /><br />sorry, i don't know who he is.....

now i do....Deputy Prime Minister Suthep

That's Suthep Thaugsuban (Thai: สุเทพ เืทือกสุบรรณ) is a Thai politician, Secretary General of the Democrat Party, Deputy Prime Minister in the government of Abhisit Vejjajiva, and former Member of Parliament for Surat Thani province. Suthep has been implicated in numerous corruption scandals.

In 2009, Suthep was accused of violating the Constitution of Thailand by holding equity in a media firm that had received concessions from the government. Under the 1997 Constitution of Thailand, which Suthep had supported, Members of Parliament are banned from holding stakes in companies which have received government concessions. In July 2009, the Election Commission announced that it would seek a ruling by the Constitutional Court to disqualify Suthep and 12 other Democrat MPs for having allegedly violated the charter. Suthep held a press conference a day later, announcing his decision to resign from Parliament. Suthep's resignation as an MP did not affect his status as Deputy Prime Minister and as a Cabinet member. If his case had been submitted to the Constitution Court, he would have been suspended from duty as Deputy Prime Minister. He insisted that his resignation was not a proof that he had done something wrong but that he was worried about status as Deputy Prime Minister.

Okay... given what I see on TV right now, there must be at least 50K people clapping and cheering the red-shirt leaders at Rajprasong. This can end in only a couple of ways... (1) thousands of people driven away by riot gear - a lot of injuries, perhaps a few killed, or (2) the Army General declares a coup and all is well (?!), (3) nothing happens and we are still stuck in time...waiting for either (1) or (2) to happen....

The big difference with the past is that, NOW, Thailand is an industrial Country, and who are the basic workers running the production for the profit of the Elite: northern guys and girls, as it has been often underlined.

So if there is a riot the response will be probably be a General strike... and the Elite has perfectly understood the risk, the huge impact on potential investors (japanese for example) who will be heading to Vietnam or Malaysia where the risk of work stoppages are nil: this is one of the reason why Abhisit is loosing some supports.....

Even in this day and age, I don't think I've ever heard of a major, well organized strike, have you? I just don't think the concept of organized labor has made it to this country yet.

Why don't the Reds call for a general strike? Let's see how much support they really have around the country. Not much I would guess. It's been used in India and France, but then those movements had the majority of people behind them.

Edited by Netfan

What's the latest? There is too much old lady and old man gossip here.... don't people have things to do? What's actually happening with the red-shirts?

They're stripping down and have declared they will now be known as the 'white undies'.

After weeks on the street, you think that their undies will be white? :)

lols! Right now - 10:10pm.... the redshirts are shooting off MASSIVE fireworks!!! Can you hear them????

yes, but it will start at some time and this is what I understand from the TV quote of a very High Family person cited earlier in this thread. (cannot say more censored if...)

They were mentioning thankyou to people who have been donating funds to help the red people to buy food etc.

The list of supporters include TOT, Siam Commercial Bank, a more thai companies, foreigners from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, USA, Australia, UK, France, Germany and many more. Read the list out for over 30 mins thanking the world to help them fight for their rights.

Very interesting given which organisation is the major shareholder in SCB.

lols! Right now - 10:10pm.... the redshirts are shooting off MASSIVE fireworks!!! Can you hear them????

Is that what that is? I'm at Ari and I can hear the blasts, but there are no fireworks in the sky. Usually I can see fireworks across the entire city from here. I was curious.

It's about time! Totally justified for all the world to see.

A message to the good people of Thailand.

I can tell you with confidence the vast majority of foreigners support your honorable PM Abhisit in his valiant effort to fight anarchic red shirt's illegal attempt at revolution and the rule of a violent mob. Good luck to and best hopes for a PEACEFUL resolution.

And how would you know"the vast majority" of foreigners support Abbisit? And with confidence? Have you personally polled all foreigners living in thailand? What a dumb post that is

I agree. He should speak for himself and not for the rest of us.

THE NATION: Our reporter at Rajprasong said tonite's crowd is noticeably smaller than two previous nites.

THE NATION: However, our reporter said reds on motorbikes were pouring into the venue. all kinds of vehicles being used as bunkers at entry points.

THE NATION: Thai red news - an official SMS news of Reds - sent last msg at 7pm, saying that the service has to stop thanks to SOE.

THE NATION: Reds leaders told the crowd to get peper and fire crackers ready just in case they encounter police guard dogs.//poor dogs.

THE NATION: The pepper and fire crackers strategy is from Nattawut, prolly not a pet lover!

Dude.... Nattawut is a clown, a martyr and a loose cannon... he would spray his own mother just to get some milk and cookies between meals. :)

Mate.

Anybody using the nation as a source of information, even on this disjointed mudslinging s£$tfight is a Clown.

Hey... just a sec... I read "Dilbert." What's wrong with that reporting??!! :D

What a weird day. Startewd with Abhisit looking like he was going to lose his job with no backingand Suthep about to be hunted down by Arisman and the PTP declaring imminent victory and the army asbout to change sides and now ending with red TV shut down and reds under siege mentality. Wonder what spins tomorrow brings. Sure dont try predicting them

It's about time! Totally justified for all the world to see.

A message to the good people of Thailand.

I can tell you with confidence the vast majority of foreigners support your honorable PM Abhisit in his valiant effort to fight anarchic red shirt's illegal attempt at revolution and the rule of a violent mob. Good luck to and best hopes for a PEACEFUL resolution.

I hear farangs constantly bitching about the lack of democracy in Thailand. But they always seem to rally around Abhisit, the darling pretty boy figure head for the anti-democratic aristocracy that has ruled the country for hundreds of years. Come on, shit or get off the pot, try to be consistent. It's time to give a chance to the folks that have grown all the food for so long, but had nothing for it.

Is that what that is? I'm at Ari and I can hear the blasts, but there are no fireworks in the sky. Usually I can see fireworks across the entire city from here. I was curious.

You are right... just firecrackers? But loud ones... I wonder what that sound really is?

They were mentioning thankyou to people who have been donating funds to help the red people to buy food etc.

The list of supporters include TOT, Siam Commercial Bank, a more thai companies, foreigners from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, USA, Australia, UK, France, Germany and many more. Read the list out for over 30 mins thanking the world to help them fight for their rights.

http://www.scb.co.th/en/abt/abt_ivr_com_shr.shtml

Why don't the Reds call for a general strike? Let's see how much support they really have around the country. Not much I would guess.

A general strike would never work in Thailand I know this from personal experience..........

having watched a lot of Thais 'at work' in places such as Banks and in Government departments I dont think the public would be aware that they were on strike! :)

And confirms what I was writing few seconds before....

I hear farangs constantly bitching about the lack of democracy in Thailand. But they always seem to rally around Abhisit, the darling pretty boy figure head for the anti-democratic aristocracy that has ruled the country for hundreds of years. Come on, shit or get off the pot, try to be consistent. It's time to give a chance to the folks that have grown all the food for so long, but had nothing for it.

Haha, made me laugh. Thanks :)

However, this endeavor has not been successful. The rally has led to a violation of the law and the Constitution and has caused great inconvenience for the people, the economy, and foreign confidence in Thailand.

Nothing like the country's prime minister painting a picture to the newsrooms and lowering foreign confidence even further ...

Richard

Nahh.. I see it the other way: This PM isn't just trying to typically blow smoke up the collective buttholes of the world; instead he's attempting to be TRUTHFULL. Something that Thailand, as a whole, could stand to receive (and accept) a MASSIVE dose of, in all sectors. For one of the hottest places in this part of the world, it's amazing how much of (a) life in Thailand is spent wrapped up in an enourmous snowjob; one after another.

The truth will set you free.. I promise.

Interesting observations... I actually see the Abhisit trying to cover his ass after failing miserably to predict what the red shirts will do... .I guess this is a bit tougher than his classmates debating at Oxford. Abhisit will not survive till 2011. He has burned his bridges on either side of the river...

Seem to a lot of 'knowledgeable' newbies on the forum tonight :)

lols! I've been in Thailand for over 20 years and now I live on Soi 11... I may be a newbie on this board, but not as a residence of this delightful city!

Are you saying the red channel is down? All normal channels showing Suthep declaring state of emergency.

And what does that have to do with the red channels??

Free channels are reporting that the red channel is down. Interesting, because it's still on here and hasn't left for a tick as far as I know. Let's hope they can maintain this as a pscyhological war so that people don't have to get hurt.

somo: married to a red shirt wife from Isaan (probably Phrae)? Wait and see... and don't give these red primates too much credit; you may regret afterwards (and that will not even take very long). Please moderate your language. It's true that the vast majority of foreigners are supporting the actual government. Admit this. :)

When running out of excuses and lies, we resort to insults such as 'primates' now, are we? Why not try and sink a little lower, I'm sure you could if you try hard enough.

Well said!

Veera and monks on stage now. Blessing being given.

Monks are so hypocritical.... amazing that they can even chant without being struck down by lightening for being posers of spirituality.... a complete disgrace.

I daresay newbie that Thailand may not be the best choice of location for you.

JOHPA... thanks for your remarks... by the way are my two suits and trousers ready?! lols :)