Thai Authorities Shut Down Red-Shirts Protesters Tv Station

webfact

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Press censorship made possible by the laws is against the Constitution, which says clearly that it can only be invoked under the state of war. We are definitely not in the state of war," Abhisit, of the Democrat Party, said during a debate on the decree in Parliament.
NYT

Some of these pre coup quotes from Abhisit could come back to bit him in the derriere.

That's the basic problem with Abhisit. He is intelligent enough, though definitely no genius. He can form a pleasant sounding sentence and sometimes even an entire paragraph. Speaking on television, he obviously loses the plot and endlessly repeats himself. That is forgiveable. What is worrisome is his total lack of values or principles. He is completely non-transparent and inconsistent over time. He is perhaps the weakest PM ever. This is definitely not his fault. I believe he is doing his best, he just plain lacks any ability in the political arena. He would make a delightful manager in a small ice cream shop and that is why he was chosen by the choosers for his present assignment.

Hmmm we ARE in a State of Emergency. Our new member (cough) states lots of pretty anti-abhisit words that just don't match up with reality.

Abhisit is not the tough guy sort of PM that Thailand often has had. That is a good thing.

Some Thais, particularly Bangkok residents, think he's been too wimpy lately. That could be partially true, though he's having to deal with a military and police corps that have some reluctant leaders.

If there has to be a choice between having a tough guy PM (which resulted in many demonstrators' deaths in recent years) or a vacillating PM, I'd choose the latter. Better to lose some face than to lose a lot of blood on the streets.

If the Reds and/or Thaksin were in charge, things would quickly turn ugly. If in doubt, just look at what happened at Krue Se or Tak Bai, while T was at the helm.

Abhisit is not the tough guy sort of PM that Thailand often has had. That is a good thing.

Some Thais, particularly Bangkok residents, think he's been too wimpy lately. That could be partially true, though he's having to deal with a military and police corps that have some reluctant leaders.

If there has to be a choice between having a tough guy PM (which resulted in many demonstrators' deaths in recent years) or a vacillating PM, I'd choose the latter. Better to lose some face than to lose a lot of blood on the streets.

If the Reds and/or Thaksin were in charge, things would quickly turn ugly. If in doubt, just look at what happened at Krue Se or Tak Bai, while T was at the helm.

I don't believe Thaksin was at Krue Se or Tak Bai. I do believe the camouflage boys who were in charge at Krue Se and Tak Bai are the same who hand-picked Abhisit for PM.

I have said from the beginning that Abhisit loses if there is blood on the streets. I think the reds read that and did their blood spreading bit of silliness :)

It still holds true. Abhisit loses if he cracks down HARD. If, on the other hand, the reds riot again like last Songkran, the reds lose. Particularly now that their leaders are on record saying they WILL resort to violence. Now Abhisit has to play it cool enough and give the reds enough rope to hang themselves. If he can hold a line and prevent the reds from crossing it and the reds go 'postal' like last year then the teargas and riot police can move in.

That's the basic problem with Abhisit. He is intelligent enough, though definitely no genius. He can form a pleasant sounding sentence and sometimes even an entire paragraph.

Can you provide us with some benchmark to measure your criteria on intelligence.Abhisit attended not only a socially elite but also academically rigorous English public school from where he proceeded to Oxford, along with Cambridge UK's premier university,where he achieved first class honours in Philosophy.Politics and Economics.That's impressive to me but perhaps you apply even higher standards.What school and university did you attend by the way?

It's strange that overseas politicians as diverse as Bill Clinton and Gordon Brown have noted Abhisit's intelligence and high ability.Perhaps they were mistaken but we await your more detailed evidence on Abhisit's shortcomings.I'm sure this will be with us shortly.

That's the basic problem with Abhisit. He is intelligent enough, though definitely no genius. He can form a pleasant sounding sentence and sometimes even an entire paragraph.

Can you provide us with some benchmark to measure your criteria on intelligence.Abhisit attended not only a socially elite but also academically rigorous English public school from where he proceeded to Oxford, along with Cambridge UK's premier university,where he achieved first class honours in Philosophy.Politics and Economics.That's impressive to me but perhaps you apply even higher standards.What school and university did you attend by the way?

It's strange that overseas politicians as diverse as Bill Clinton and Gordon Brown have noted Abhisit's intelligence and high ability.Perhaps they were mistaken but we await your more detailed evidence on Abhisit's shortcomings.I'm sure this will be with us shortly.

Your man Bush went to Yale. Genius? I think not.

You may have a different take on Abhisit. I'm watching the same Abhisit performances on TV and reading the same newspaper quotes as you are. We form a different opinion. Is that a bad thing? You have to agree that he comes across better when he's speaking English than Thai, to most Thais that is.

Jayboy, just ignore Rhodes.

He's been a member for a day, and then comes in spouting anti-Abhisit crap. Just a troll.

wonder if the Pm would have shut down ASTV. fair is fair. maybe not

If they were breaking the law in the same way, I'm sure he would.

don't be silly...

Again, crying about what a former government FAILED to do and trying to apply that as a rule for what the current government should do is senseless. This is about the rule of law and the current government is within the law. They are not stifling opposition voices. They are stopping an illegal disinformation campaign that is calling for sedition and violence.

wonder if the Pm would have shut down ASTV. fair is fair. maybe not

If they were breaking the law in the same way, I'm sure he would.

don't be silly...

Again, crying about what a former government FAILED to do and trying to apply that as a rule for what the current government should do is senseless. This is about the rule of law and the current government is within the law. They are not stifling opposition voices. They are stopping an illegal disinformation campaign that is calling for sedition and violence.

shutting down the station is a huge error of judgement - and will drive more people to the reds - the yellow banans were breaking the law to with the airport but you say nothing... you spout about the law - but only when it suites you

shutting down the station is a huge error of judgement - and will drive more people to the reds - the yellow banans were breaking the law to with the airport but you say nothing... you spout about the law - but only when it suites you

huh?

This is a DIFFERENT GOVERNMENT and the 2 TV stations were doing different things. You think it will send more peope to the reds. You are red. This should help your cause, why cry? Then again if it prevents more illegal protests and stops a disinformation campaign that is illegal, you should be happy for the country.

What the former government failed to do is not the issue. What is legal and appropriate IS the issue. The government has made a good decision with this.

In other words ... your stand is inconsistant. Red leaders were calling for violence from the stage. The captioning on the pages broadcast by People TV were illegal (they were not reporting on the news they were making it). Broadcasting is a public trust and People TV was breaking the law and that trust.

Well it certainly seems to be drive the reds out of Ratchaprasong ... maybe the army can go in and clean up there now.

Very much a massive error.

Yesterday night for the first time ever I have heard Thai's openly talking about matters that in 25 years of experience in Thailand I have never heard before in open conversation.

The Reds overall plan appears to be to walk the Yellows/PAD/Democrats down a road which will alienate them and their backers from the normal Thai people. Its working is all I can say if that is the "master plan".

Now who said its not about "Democracy" ? :)

Hook, line and sinker to the Reds "master plan" ?!

huh?

This is a DIFFERENT GOVERNMENT and the 2 TV stations were doing different things. You think it will send more peope to the reds. You are red. This should help your cause, why cry? Then again if it prevents more illegal protests and stops a disinformation campaign that is illegal, you should be happy for the country.

What the former government failed to do is not the issue. What is legal and appropriate IS the issue. The government has made a good decision with this.

In other words ... your stand is inconsistant. Red leaders were calling for violence from the stage. The captioning on the pages broadcast by People TV were illegal (they were not reporting on the news they were making it). Broadcasting is a public trust and People TV was breaking the law and that trust.

same yellow (and I'm not red - just sympathise - I am a farang commenting only thank you) now back to it - when yellow took over ILLEGALLY the airport the station was not shut down - we shall see how wise or not this decision is

Thought Police this

Watch RED's LIVE from Bangkok

- Link Deleted -

Obviously the government doesn't wish that the violence-promoting and insurrection-urging broadcast to be watched.

I hope you're not jeopardizing thaivisa by posting this circumventing link for the 4th time today.

Edited by bacchanal

Obviously the government would like to be a government that had control over what I say or do or what I choose to watch or what I choose to inform others about. In case you did not know many feel the attempts to ban it are considered illegal and a double standard to say the least.

WATCH if you beleive in Freedom of Speech

Thought Police this

- Link Deleted -

Obviously the government doesn't wish that the violence-promoting and insurrection-urging broadcast to be watched.

I hope you're not jeopardizing thaivisa by posting this circumventing link for the 4th time today.

huh?

same yellow (and I'm not red - just sympathise - I am a farang commenting only thank you) now back to it - when yellow took over ILLEGALLY the airport the station was not shut down - we shall see how wise or not this decision is

Saying you are not red but quoting the red line certainly doesn't make any sense.

Again this is NOT about the failure of the Somchai government to take action that may have been appropriate, this is about this government taking action that is both legal AND appropriate.

Thought Police this

- Link Deleted -

Obviously the government would like to be a government that had control over what I say or do or what I choose to watch or what I choose to inform others about. In case you did not know many feel the attempts to ban it are considered illegal and a double standard to say the least.

WATCH if you beleive in Freedom of Speech

It's up to you whether or not you consider it a free speech issue. Advocating violence isn't, in my opinion.

However, the government has determined that it is illegal and I'm also of the opinion that promoting (in the form of the same 4 posts today) a method of circumventing what the government has decided to be illegal puts thaivisa at jeopardy of staying online.

why does every farang think the red shirts are brain dead and the yellow/elite are einstein. I am 33yr old chartered accoutant who quit the rat race from uk to learn about a foreign culture. I have taught at harrow (bkk) and stanford (hua-hin). I have also taught at provincial schools and village schools in phrae and udon thani. The thickest and most narrow minded have been at harrow/stanford. They are the brain dead ones because they don't give a sh*t, they are fed with a silver spoon and have a totally reprehensible western attitude!! They cant even speak english for f*cks sake and the fees are 1 million baht per year(harrow). The kids from the countryside/poor families are so artistic and full of endeavour its unbelievable. Their enthusiasm just needs harnessing and their full potential being realised!

Therefore my point is that the rich/poor divide needs to be reduced to enable the real thai children to flourish and release their inner spirit & talent; for they are so talented and so overlooked!

jc

wow you can proofread!!! go online and you can get 5 dollars an hour for that!!! I give farangs a bad name!! Can you speak fluent thai??? I spent six months prior to teaching, learning the language and the culture. ผมคิดว่าคุณคนโง่. happy now neanderthal!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a teacher and that is how you talk and type?

"don't give a sh*t"

"They cant even speak English for f*cks sake"

Pretty confident that is why they do not listen to you

You give farangs a bad name ...

why does every farang think the red shirts are brain dead and the yellow/elite are einstein. I am 33yr old chartered accoutant who quit the rat race from uk to learn about a foreign culture. I have taught at harrow (bkk) and stanford (hua-hin). I have also taught at provincial schools and village schools in phrae and udon thani. The thickest and most narrow minded have been at harrow/stanford. They are the brain dead ones because they don't give a sh*t, they are fed with a silver spoon and have a totally reprehensible western attitude!! They cant even speak english for f*cks sake and the fees are 1 million baht per year(harrow). The kids from the countryside/poor families are so artistic and full of endeavour its unbelievable. Their enthusiasm just needs harnessing and their full potential being realised!

Therefore my point is that the rich/poor divide needs to be reduced to enable the real thai children to flourish and release their inner spirit & talent; for they are so talented and so overlooked!

You do give foreigners a bad name. Your story sounds fantastic, how many schools did you see? You came to learn about a foreign culture? You can't even write the word accountant properly. But you give statements about Thais?

Not that you're only using small letters, not mentioning your missing letters, or wrong written words. Most impressive is your message that they can't even speak English!!!

You're calling students from rural areas here artistic? Did they feed you with a silver spoon?

Hope you never make your way to our students…….. :)

wow you can proofread!!! go online and you can get 5 dollars an hour for that!!! I give farangs a bad name!! Can you speak fluent thai??? I spent six months prior to teaching, learning the language and the culture. ผมคิดว่าคุณคนโง่. happy now neanderthal!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a teacher posting on a farang website to adult farangs with expletives blanked out. Again if you have something constructive to say, SAY IT. Otherwise fork off. เค่าไจไหฺม???????????????????

:D

I’m trying to be polite, but it doesn’t really work out with uneducated people like you; it will be my sixth year teaching English here and I’m very familiar with the Thai culture. I’m teaching two languages, but I was never an accountant, sorry. My spoken Thai is not too bad after eight years, but that’s not the point, or? If you’d teach our son, it wouldn’t be for long, believe me………..

สมองของคุณต้องน้อยกว่าสมองของชายนีแอนเดอธัล

Abhisit himself said censorship is only acceptable in a state of war - so logically the argument would be that we are in a state of war.

To say that the Red TV is any more vitriolic than the yellow TV was at the height of their protests is stretching the imagination somewhat.

Although the whole situation is complete deja vu just different colours, it would seem this administration sees fit to wield the media card. Maybe their military card is not as strong as they would wish. Somehow I think this may come back and hit them in the face as technology maybe one step ahead.

It's going to be interesting to see how this goes. Whatever the outcome I think that the lid already does not fit the box anymore.

Abhisit himself said censorship is only acceptable in a state of war - so logically the argument would be that we are in a state of war.

To say that the Red TV is any more vitriolic than the yellow TV was at the height of their protests is stretching the imagination somewhat.

Although the whole situation is complete deja vu just different colours, it would seem this administration sees fit to wield the media card. Maybe their military card is not as strong as they would wish. Somehow I think this may come back and hit them in the face as technology maybe one step ahead.

It's going to be interesting to see how this goes. Whatever the outcome I think that the lid already does not fit the box anymore.

We are currently under a State of Emergency and People TV was not acting as a reporter of the news but was participating in the lies and disinformation directly.

What happened during the Somchai administration with their failure to utilize the law appropriately (or not) regarding ASTV lies solely on the Somchai administration and has no bearing on today. Different government and different circumstances.

about ASTV and the past -- ASTV did have unequaled access to the PAD rally but they didn't make the news, they reported it. They didn't run the sms thing on the bottom of the screen, they didn't run a banner telling people where to go and what to do.

about ASTV in the present-- They are reporting the news (with a pronounced editorial slant) and not making the news.

again --- trying to hold this government to the failures of a former government just doesn't make sense.

That much I agree with. Democracy is a terribly divisive force. I hope the Thai people can accept others views without resorting to violence and not let themselves become co-opted by self serving leaders.

Since the reds are always justifying everything on the basis of "double standards", this story just popped up and I found it ironic.

The Chiang Mai court today sentenced five men to prison for the murder of the father of a key PAD member in November, 2008. The five were among about 200 members of the Rak Chiang Mai 51 red group that surrounded PADs Wihok Radio community radio station, forcing it to close. One of the five convicted murders, Niyom Lueangcharoen, the chief guard of Chiang Mai 51, addressed the red shirts yesterday at Ratchaprasong.

So here we have a convicted murderer on the red shirt stage who participated in shutting down a community radio station because it didn't subscribe to their political views. I wonder if he is helping spearhead the peaceful red shirts at Thaicom today? Imagine people like this gaining power in the government here in Thailand.