Traveling With Out A Passport

chaimdan

Hi,

I need to renew the visa in the country where I am currently located...

I was thinking of traveling with family to Thailand and then sending our passports to the USA to get new visas...

Legally can I stay in Thailand without passports?! Am I able to use Driver license or any other ID for flights in Thailand (domestic)?

If not, if I stay in one city can I check into hotels without passport?

I actually have dual citizenship, so I will have another passport with me (which may not have an entry stamp though) but the rest of my family has only one passport which we will send away...

Also, how expensive or difficult is it to ship an envelope to New York overnight or 2 days from either phuket or Chiang mai? (I can't from BKK as I will probably still need them to fly to final destination..)

Thanks a lot!

^need your passport in country for airlines/hotel check-ins. Not to mention you'd run into issues with a passport without an entrance stamp. :)

Thanks for the reply...

Any idea if I need more than just my passport if I am checking into a hotel with spouse and two small kids?

I can get a visa on my other passport so I have an entry stamp in this one... Thanks

You can fly Air Asia and Bangkok Airways for sure without a passport.

I had to get a Pakistan visa last year and it required me to send my passport back to the UK.

I then flew Air Asia to Surat Thani, got the boat to Samui, booked into a hotel, stayed 2 weeks, flew back by Bangkok Air and picked up my passport from the DHL office in Bangkok :)

Only ID I had was a UK driving license.

Edited by Monokuro

:)

Yes you can get away with it in Thailand, but you are taking a big risk.

You could end up in the immigration detention facility (i.e. jail)

So firstly, photcopy your U.S. passport. Do a photocopy of the front, the first two pages unfolded (where the passport number and such information is printed) and your Thai immigration visa and/or stamp. Do this for all the family passports. Carry this around with any other I.D. you have. It may at least make the police feel happier if you are ever stopped for whatever reason.

Secondly, will you be in Thailand? If so, don't mail your passport back to the states for renewal. Go through the U.S. embessy or consulate in Bangkok. If you need to renew your passport it is much better to go through them. They will send it back to the U.S. for renewal. They should give you a letter saying you applied for passport renewal. The police will be much happier with that if for some reason you are stopped. Don't try to do it yourself.

Yes, you can get by on your I.D., but you also take the risk of going to immigration jail, or being shaken down by the Thai police to pay a "fine" for not having your passport. Of course, the "fine" goes into the policeman's pocket.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

You don't mention if your licence is a Thai driving licence. If it is the hotels will accept it (it shows your passport number on). I rarely take my passport with me when I go to Bangkok, just use my Thai licence. As someone else has mentioned, use your embassy for passport renewal. They will give you a receipt showing that your passport is with them and this will be accepted by the police if they want to see it.

I have seen Thais refused boarding passes at the airport because their ID was illegible. Don't try to fly without acceptable ID, you may get there but not get back. Buses may be a better option.

I suggest that your best option is to get everything sorted before you come to Thailand. Better safe than sorry.

I never carry my passport with me. I have a copy that includes all the relevant stamps, and I get it laminated. That is all I have ever given to hotels at check in...or to anybody who has ever asked to see it (excluding when renting cars and immigration). I have been stopped by the police several times and have never had to show my passport...just my "tea" money! :)

Make sure you enclose a self stamped/addressed return express mail envelope with your passports. You can track them that way on their return if necessary. I would check which one the US agency works with.

You don't mention if your licence is a Thai driving licence. If it is the hotels will accept it (it shows your passport number on). I rarely take my passport with me when I go to Bangkok, just use my Thai licence. As someone else has mentioned, use your embassy for passport renewal. They will give you a receipt showing that your passport is with them and this will be accepted by the police if they want to see it.

I have seen Thais refused boarding passes at the airport because their ID was illegible. Don't try to fly without acceptable ID, you may get there but not get back. Buses may be a better option.

I suggest that your best option is to get everything sorted before you come to Thailand. Better safe than sorry.

Ditto: TG AA etc ok with Thai DL as ID for Dom spots.. Now as to hotels send ten an email with a scanned copyh of the ID page and current VISA page..... requesting they attach it. I have never been checked.. Now, for reasons I cannot divulge I have a Royal Thai Police medaiion on my Fotuner. I pass thru most things. like right to the dock at the cruise ship spot, thru to VIP parking at events. <deleted>, I go to part in event staff at Impact arena to see Tata Young.

I have not carried my passport while in T/L for over 10 years. I use my intntl drivers license card and a photocopy of my passport. Have flown many airlines inside T/L and booked hotels and rental cars. Take the advice of sending your passport for renewal through the US embassy.

Off the original request for info.

When renewing a US passport, you keep the old one until the new one is given to you.

It is illegal to obtain a Thai visa from out of the country if you are still in Thailand. You can obtain a new visa through the mail if you are physically in another country.

It is illegal not to have your passport, you must be able to produce it when asked. As a foreigner, you can be detained till your identity and legal status in Thailand has been determined. For check-in at hotels your passport is required, although many don't check.

In both cases it needs to be the passport with your current permission to stay in.

For domestic flights a Thai drivers license or other Thai Id is enough.

The OP is actually talking about renewing a visa not a passport, but doesn't say which country the visa is for.

Not sure about being illegal to post your passport out of the country you are currently in but it's certainly unwise, and you could get problems if it were lost.

In theory you are supposed to carry your passport with you at all times, and whilst I suspect very few do, you could be detained if you were stopped by the police and it wasn't readily available. The requirement to carry your passport was recently stated by one of the new immigration chiefs, think it was Pattaya, and UK citizens are reminded of the requirement on the UK Embassy website.

The OP asks about renewing a visa for the country he is residing in. If he has to renew a visa why not go to the Embassy of the country of issue ( of the visa) with his current passport and they will advise him.

He has not stated his nationallity or the country which the visa applies.

If he also wants a visa for the US why not go directly to the US embassy in Bangkok?

Edited by david96

Ditto: TG AA etc ok with Thai DL as ID for Dom spots.. Now as to hotels send ten an email with a scanned copyh of the ID page and current VISA page..... requesting they attach it. I have never been checked.. Now, for reasons I cannot divulge I have a Royal Thai Police medaiion on my Fotuner. I pass thru most things. like right to the dock at the cruise ship spot, thru to VIP parking at events. <deleted>, I go to part in event staff at Impact arena to see Tata Young.

Unless you are a Thai policeman, or somebody else with special dispensation, you are probably breaking the law by driving a 'police car' around. I believe there was recently a chap in Pattaya who got in trouble for this ....

Not true.

Last hotel I checked in I realised my passport was still in BKK.

Gave them my national ID card and paid cash.

No questions asked.

Had a nice stay.

You were lucky! :)

Not at all. Its normal practice. In fact, when we (My WIfe, SOn and myself) go to hotels I let her check in and show her Thai id card and have never been asked for ID myself. As long as one person shows ID and maybe a credit card for room sundries it is very rare to be asked as a second person for your ID also.

make a copy of passport with visa stamp....-> for those in hotels demanding hard your passport (if ID/ driver license wouldn't be sufficent for them)

usually the only thing they are interested is that you pay and don't destroy room/hotel+don't distrub other guests...so if you are OK with these, shouldn't be any problem....

I travelled 2 months in Thailand without passport (deposit for motorbike rental), stayed in dozens of places, and there was only one that couldn't let me in without passport....anyway, i stay in places for under 500 bt room :) so mostly guesthouses, homestays and cheap hotels....

i think that with copy of passport you shouldn't have any problems in hotels

Ok, here is the story... (was surprised by amount of replies.)

I am located in Russia... US citizens require a visa to reside here and mine is about to expire. They require that a visa be acquired in the country of citizenship so I would normally need to go back to the states to get one. Instead of going back home, I thought it was time for another Thailand vacation as it's been almost three years...

thought of going there for vacation and sending passports to the US For passport renewal...

Obviously it would be much safer to travel to both places, but with two small children it seems difficult to find a decent way to route it at a decent price. (for instance Moscow-BKK-JFK-MOW just doesn't work...)

Other options is 2 two way tickets but also comes out very expensive... And tickets from the US seem to be a fortune this time of year (june-July..)

Are there reliable express shipping from thailand to US?

I have 2 passports and used DHL to ship my second one from Thailand to the UK to get a visa for work, there were issues at both ends with DHL who weren't happy shipping a passport however they did in the end.

It is illegal not to have your passport, you must be able to produce it when asked. As a foreigner, you can be detained till your identity and legal status in Thailand has been determined. For check-in at hotels your passport is required, although many don't check.

In both cases it needs to be the passport with your current permission to stay in.

For domestic flights a Thai drivers license or other Thai Id is enough.

eh!! agreed, but , knock on wood,, how many times have you been asked to produce your REAL passport...

even by the BIB,,,!!

22 years - NEVER..........

If you have dual Nationality & two passports enter Thailand on the one you don't need to send to get a visa stamped in it, it is illegal not to have your passport with current visa/entry stamp in it on you at all times. If you need to change Travellers Cheques or check into a hotel or fly with most of the airlines on their domestic routes you will need a passport.

I'm sure with the decree in force the police have more powers at their disposal so not having proof of your identity and leave to stay is not a bright idea at the moment.

If you are sending your passport in the post use the likes of FedEx/UPS The British Foreign office asks expat citizens applying for a new passport out of the regional issuing centre in Hong Kong to use DHL Not sure what the US Policy is about its citizens shipping their passports.

Edited by Stjohnm

Not true.

Last hotel I checked in I realised my passport was still in BKK.

Gave them my national ID card and paid cash.

No questions asked.

Had a nice stay.

You were lucky! :)

Last trip, I stayed in about 30 hotels all over LOS.  My passport was at the motorcycle rental place the whole time.  At hotels, some were surprised I couldn't produce a passport, but not one had a problem with this.  I usually gave them my US driver's license, but really, I think all they want is something with your picture on it.  (I did have a copy of my passport with me, but never showed it to anyone.)

-britmaveric-

Giving the Passport as a security to Motobike rentals is the way it usualy is. At bigger companys you can also use your Creditcard.

Or, give the rental people what the Motobike is worth in cash!

Its understandable that the motorcicle rentals want a bit security.

And, -falcon- and others are right, I often let my GF do the Hotelpaperwork and the room runs in her name.

No need for my passport. I even sometime ask, -You want my Passport- and nearly always I here, -No do not need-

We have a say in Austria, -Paepstlicher als der Papst ist!- means, describes somebody, who hangs on laws and regulations even more than the Pope.

Describes maybe you, britmaveric.