Phuket General Information Recommendation

bangkokbanks

Long time Thailand resident moving to Phuket.

Your help is needed and highly appreciated.

I would like links to information about Phuket, and any general information you can provide about agents for housing; good neighborhoods to live in, recommended hostpitals, clubs, activities and most common grocery stores and please Schools. We have two young children, bi lingual. I am interested in a good Thai private school or International. Also please, any warnings -places of danger or what to avoid.

I speak English and Thai and my wife is from the South we are ready to get out of Bangkok, I have always wanted to move to the South but we do not want to move to her home town of Hatyai and Krabi seems a bit small. We like a mix of Western and Thai culture wanting to make Thai friends as well as foreigner.

Looking forward to your helpful responses.

Where to start ... such a lot of questions.

Hospital - Phuket has 3 very good private hospitals, Bangkok Phuket, Phuket International, and The Mission Hospital. I use the Phuket International as it has good medical facilities at a sensible price.

Groceries - many choices. In Phuket Town Tesco Lotus, Big C, Central. Patong has Carrefor and the Deli. Chalong has Villa Market and a Tesco.

Schools - Seem to be a number of options, but best someone with school kids answers that one.

Housing - I suggest you have a look at the Phuket Gazette classifieds and drive about looking for the FOR RENT or FOR SALE signs.

Best of luck ...

As to places to stay, it really depends on the type of environment you like. There is small coastal village lifestyle on the east coast, the more hectic lifestyle of Patong and everything in between. I suggest you look through the archives of this sub-forum (go back through the pages) and read the various discussions. Given your family situation, you may like somewhere like Rawai/Naiharn or perhaps Kamala, but I note that you thought Krabi 'a bit small', so you may prefer Patong. You will see that many expats and Phuket regulars are vocal in their disdain for Patong, but it really is a matter of personal taste - I happen to like the place. I suggest you find somewhere very short term for your arrival and then have a good look around and find the area that suits you. It would be useful to do some Googling and may also be of some help to look at the physical locations of places such as schools on Google Earth, so that you can do a little bit of pre-planning. Happy hunting...

Thank you for your reply to my questions and the information provided. I assume you like living there, please if you can tell me; do you ever feel a sense of isolation? I say that because it is not a large city area like Chiang Mai or Hat Yai. Do you have plenty to do there beyound the obvious beach life? Thank you for your time and comments.

As to places to stay, it really depends on the type of environment you like. There is small coastal village lifestyle on the east coast, the more hectic lifestyle of Patong and everything in between. I suggest you look through the archives of this sub-forum (go back through the pages) and read the various discussions. Given your family situation, you may like somewhere like Rawai/Naiharn or perhaps Kamala, but I note that you thought Krabi 'a bit small', so you may prefer Patong. You will see that many expats and Phuket regulars are vocal in their disdain for Patong, but it really is a matter of personal taste - I happen to like the place. I suggest you find somewhere very short term for your arrival and then have a good look around and find the area that suits you. It would be useful to do some Googling and may also be of some help to look at the physical locations of places such as schools on Google Earth, so that you can do a little bit of pre-planning. Happy hunting...

Thank you Ping, your reply is very helpful. I will do as you say regarding reading up. Our first intention is to use family (wife's) contacts there to start networking. My intent here was to creat my own source of information. We will want to go there a few times and spend a few weeks at a time, we have a car so getting around and exploring are a must. We just have to see if we like it. I like Krabi and Pungna very much but we have to think of the kids first and that too will deligate where we are going to live. I look forward to checking out your recommendations.

I do not have kids, but I understand there is a big new International School in Thalang. Also, there in Thalang you will find very affordable housing in some new neighborhoods.

Not too far from the big shopping areas, Central, Lotus Big C etc.

A bit of a ways from the beach though, but from there and about a 20-30 minute drive can easily access northern beaches.

There's my two satangs worth.

As far as schools are concerned, it entirely depends on your budget. I do not profess to be an expert but I have done fairly extensive research, as my son will be starting school soon, and the school that came out on top for me was Headstart. (headstartphuket.com)

The price to quality ratio seemed much better than with other international schools that can cost well over 20k per year (GBP)

As for living. Even after you have decided where might be best for you, I still wouldn't commit to anything more than a six month rental agreement at first. Then rent longer term or buy at a later date, when you are sure you know where you want to be. I'm in my third area now and still not completely sure where I will end up buying.

If you don't let the little annoying things get you down as so many people do, then I feel quite confident in saying, that you and your family will be extremely happy here. Far more so than in BKK or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter.

Good luck.

As far as schools are concerned, it entirely depends on your budget. I do not profess to be an expert but I have done fairly extensive research, as my son will be starting school soon, and the school that came out on top for me was Headstart. (headstartphuket.com)

The price to quality ratio seemed much better than with other international schools that can cost well over 20k per year (GBP)

As for living. Even after you have decided where might be best for you, I still wouldn't commit to anything more than a six month rental agreement at first. Then rent longer term or buy at a later date, when you are sure you know where you want to be. I'm in my third area now and still not completely sure where I will end up buying.

If you don't let the little annoying things get you down as so many people do, then I feel quite confident in saying, that you and your family will be extremely happy here. Far more so than in BKK or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter.

Good luck.

That is very helpful information, I am learning a lot already. Thanks

I personally like the chalong area, mixed Thai and expat and very family friendly as you have children.

There is a couple of supermarkets here of a smaller size, Thai markets also, and plenty of restaurants.

We are 10 to 15 minutes from good swimming beaches, 20 minutes from patong, 15 minutes from good

hospitals and the same from large supermarkets.

Entertainment wise cinemas, balling alleys. rifle range, bungy jumping, horse riding, etc etc all within

20 minutes drive.

One of my neighbors sends his daughter to a private school which is 15 minutes drive away and he is about to change

schools to a closer one.

It is easy to find rental property's or houses for sale anywhere on the island, just take your time and look around

you will find what you want at the price you want to pay.

Well considering the night we had last night here in Bangkok, and I live literally down the road from it all - Phuket may be a reality sooner rather than later for my family. Of course this could all be reaction in-the-moment, since the government will want us all out spending our money in the malls again very soon. Imagine the sale on Meat and Vegetables that couldn't be sold for the last week. Please keep the advise on Phuket coming, it's very useful.