Renting Motorbike/motorcycle In Penang

I will be renting a motorbike in Penang next month. I don’t foresee any issues (copy of passport and money should do). I rented in Chiang Mai and rode around the area and really enjoyed the hills. I expect the traffic in Penang to be less than Chiang Mai.

I was checking to see if there are any recommended rides. I’ll do a tour of the island and was thinking about crossing the bridge to Buttersworth and take the ferry back over to Penang.

Any other recommendations or advise?

I lived 8 years in Malaysia and I've never seen motorcycle rental service, at least not for bigger bikes.

Perhaps things changed lately and some smaller bikes might be available, but wouldn't really count on it.

Back in a day, when my bike was under repairs I would go around asking to rent one and folks laughed at me..... :)

I’ve done it a few times, but not for nearly 5 years so things might have changed a little.

Take your cosi and follow the coast road north out of Georgetown towards Batu Feringgi, once out of the built up area you’ll start seeing little beaches, often deserted. Pick one that takes your fancy and have a swim. I had my favourite beach, usually to myself, but as for how to find it all I can remember is that it was on a sharpish left hand bend in the road and you had to walk down steps to it. Not much help I know but there are plenty of them.

At this stage the road is very twisty and turny, great on a bike. Depending on the time of day Batu Feringgi makes a good place to stop for lunch, plenty of choice of what and where to eat, if not then there are plenty of other places on the way round the island. Eventually the road starts climbing into the mountains, the road is still twisty, and a good place to stop for a smoke (if you partake that is) and take in the view is the reservoir. Sit in the covered whatsit if it’s hot, read the plaque on the big rock, whatever.

Now the road is quite wide with some great bends, great fun if you’re coming down the hill on a bike that handles well! Once past all that the road narrows and gets really twisty and turny, up and down, and lots of trees for shade. If you have time there is a fruit farm you can stop off and look at, never did myself but it’s an idea. You’ll go past a little shack type of place on the right where you can stop for fresh juice and a bite. At this stage the road is lovely, sharp bends, longer bends, up down and round and round, lots of shade and little tumbling streams. Often between the trees you get great views out over the island to the sea.

After all that the road starts coming back down again, you’ll come to a town, can’t remember the name, might be worth a look round, something to eat and drink or whatever. On the way out you’ll see a big mosque on the right.

Now it’s flat land all the way back to Georgetown, a few interesting places to stop if the fancy takes you. In time you’ll come to the edge of the city, very boring, lots of household name factories left and right and that’s about it.

The route round is not difficult; it can take a couple of hours to most of the day if you want. As you can tell I really used to enjoy the ride round!

I’ve also done the over the bridge and back on the ferry run as well, long long bridge and nothing to see but the ferry crossing makes a change. Once you get over the bridge you have to find the right turn off to follow the coast along a bit then another left turn to the ferry, I think the ferry was well sign posted though. There are a few big shopping malls on the way for lunch/snack or whatever. The ferry was 1.5 ringgit I think for a bike. I never had a map and never had any serious problems getting round the island or doing the ferry run either. On the island I used the Komtar tower as a reference point to get about Georgetown, worked well. It’s not Thailand so always wear a helmet, the standard of driving is much better, as are the Police!

Once I parked my bike near the Komtar, alongside some other bikes, came back to find a parking ticket on all of them! The hotel said that as it was a council ticket just ignore it, a Police ticket is another matter; I did and never heard anything more even on future visits and bike hires.

Have a good ride around!

There are plenty of places to rent small bikes in Penang, Chulia street is full of them, make sure you get a decent helmet with it.

True. No int'l driver's license needed. No hassles. Highly recommended.

Anyone any idea of the cost for a days rental of a small bike?

I rented by the week and thought the cost quite reasonable though I've forgotten exactly how much it was.

However, in another website (tripadvisor), a poster says, "I always hire a motor bike when visiting Penang. I hire from NJ at 425 Chulia street and a Honda 110 step-thru costs me RM$18 a day if you hire for more than one day and also bargain. Starting price was RM$36. Be very defensive when riding in Penang."

• 2 weeks later...
I’ve done it a few times, but not for nearly 5 years so things might have changed a little.

Take your cosi and follow the coast road north out of Georgetown towards Batu Feringgi, once out of the built up area you’ll start seeing little beaches, often deserted. Pick one that takes your fancy and have a swim. I had my favourite beach, usually to myself, but as for how to find it all I can remember is that it was on a sharpish left hand bend in the road and you had to walk down steps to it. Not much help I know but there are plenty of them.

At this stage the road is very twisty and turny, great on a bike. Depending on the time of day Batu Feringgi makes a good place to stop for lunch, plenty of choice of what and where to eat, if not then there are plenty of other places on the way round the island. Eventually the road starts climbing into the mountains, the road is still twisty, and a good place to stop for a smoke (if you partake that is) and take in the view is the reservoir. Sit in the covered whatsit if it’s hot, read the plaque on the big rock, whatever.

Now the road is quite wide with some great bends, great fun if you’re coming down the hill on a bike that handles well! Once past all that the road narrows and gets really twisty and turny, up and down, and lots of trees for shade. If you have time there is a fruit farm you can stop off and look at, never did myself but it’s an idea. You’ll go past a little shack type of place on the right where you can stop for fresh juice and a bite. At this stage the road is lovely, sharp bends, longer bends, up down and round and round, lots of shade and little tumbling streams. Often between the trees you get great views out over the island to the sea.

After all that the road starts coming back down again, you’ll come to a town, can’t remember the name, might be worth a look round, something to eat and drink or whatever. On the way out you’ll see a big mosque on the right.

Now it’s flat land all the way back to Georgetown, a few interesting places to stop if the fancy takes you. In time you’ll come to the edge of the city, very boring, lots of household name factories left and right and that’s about it.

The route round is not difficult; it can take a couple of hours to most of the day if you want. As you can tell I really used to enjoy the ride round!

I’ve also done the over the bridge and back on the ferry run as well, long long bridge and nothing to see but the ferry crossing makes a change. Once you get over the bridge you have to find the right turn off to follow the coast along a bit then another left turn to the ferry, I think the ferry was well sign posted though. There are a few big shopping malls on the way for lunch/snack or whatever. The ferry was 1.5 ringgit I think for a bike. I never had a map and never had any serious problems getting round the island or doing the ferry run either. On the island I used the Komtar tower as a reference point to get about Georgetown, worked well. It’s not Thailand so always wear a helmet, the standard of driving is much better, as are the Police!

Once I parked my bike near the Komtar, alongside some other bikes, came back to find a parking ticket on all of them! The hotel said that as it was a council ticket just ignore it, a Police ticket is another matter; I did and never heard anything more even on future visits and bike hires.

Have a good ride around!

Thanks for the details. It sounds like an interesting route to try while I am there. The island seems large enough and with enough hills for an interesting adventure.

I will rent a small motorbike. I rented a 110cc/125cc for 150 to 200 baht a day in Thailand. That is about 15 to 20 ringgit so I will try to target that price range.

• 3 weeks later...

I downloaded a map of Penang Hill. Is it possible to ride a motorbike in that area? There is a road (Jeep Trek) that seems to cross all over the mountain. The photos online showed it as a paved road. There is another road called 'mountain road' that crosses all over the mountain and it looks like it end up around the canopy walk.

Are these private roads or can I take my motorbike up them.

Thanks

Not sure.. We went there and were convinced by the people who drive you to the top in jeeps that you cant go up, but once up there it was obvious it was a normal road, and that Malays and others ride bikes up there. I would assume it is normal and we were simply lied to so as to force us to use the jeep services.

Just confidently ignore them and I think you will be OK.

The NJ books guys got us a near new nouvo.. Cant remember how much but I think it was a touch higher than Thailand but only 10% or so.

Took the missus and she loved the butterfly farm, road users much more civilised than here, easy to ride but a GPS could come in handy in Georgetown.

Not sure.. We went there and were convinced by the people who drive you to the top in jeeps that you cant go up, but once up there it was obvious it was a normal road, and that Malays and others ride bikes up there. I would assume it is normal and we were simply lied to so as to force us to use the jeep services.

Just confidently ignore them and I think you will be OK.

The photos look like its a nice paved road. If you saw other motorbikes up there than it doesn't seem like a problem. I read that only the local residents use the roads but that might have been a comment from one of the jeep owners :)

Thanks