Gardening On The Islands

Just plowed through this thread and it sounds like you people have quite some fun trying to grow all kinds of things not normally located in Thailand :D

That's what i could image we would do if we ever moved down there. Have a small garden where we could plant some stuff in, and watch things grow.

Don't have anything similar here in Denmark cause i live in an apartment so the only thing i have in my windows are currently 3 chilliplants.

Chocolate habanero, Red habanero and then the last is supposed to be some super hot naga dorset or something at 1,4 mill scoville but it just looks like a regular habanero, but i will find out when they are ready to eat.

The chocolate habanero looks funny and very tempting to just put it in the mouth and eat cause it's chocolatecoloured when it's ripe.

Will be interesting to see if they survive the 3 weeks we're at Samui. I plan to put them in 3 plasticboxes with 20 liter water in each and see what happens :D

Hi i was wondering if anyone id doing hydroponics on the island and what are they growing , is there any commercial ventures there?

cheers

Scoop

Thank you,Rooo, Do you know what they grow and how big is it? i am thinking of renting a house and some land there away from the beaches so it wont be too expensive, and setup a small farm

Thanks

Scoop

Thank you,Rooo, Do you know what they grow and how big is it? i am thinking of renting a house and some land there away from the beaches so it wont be too expensive, and setup a small farm

Thanks

Scoop

They sell all types of vegetables. I haven't been there for a while, they are not cheap.To be honest with you, they had giant, great looking tomatoes, but had no taste.So didn't bother anymore.

ok thanks, sounds like an opening for a bright lad, are they thai or farangs that run it? what are the temperature diffs, night and day? through the seasons if you know off hand

scoop1

ok thanks, sounds like an opening for a bright lad, are they thai or farangs that run it? what are the temperature diffs, night and day? through the seasons if you know off hand

scoop1

I really don't know who they are, I think it's a joint venture. Don't get me wrong not bagging them , just that one bad experience.

As for temperature changes you have to ask our resident expert Jimmy , he keeps an eye on such things lol.

Just plowed through this thread and it sounds like you people have quite some fun trying to grow all kinds of things not normally located in Thailand biggrin.png

That's what i could image we would do if we ever moved down there. Have a small garden where we could plant some stuff in, and watch things grow.

Don't have anything similar here in Denmark cause i live in an apartment so the only thing i have in my windows are currently 3 chilliplants.

Chocolate habanero, Red habanero and then the last is supposed to be some super hot naga dorset or something at 1,4 mill scoville but it just looks like a regular habanero, but i will find out when they are ready to eat.

The chocolate habanero looks funny and very tempting to just put it in the mouth and eat cause it's chocolatecoloured when it's ripe.

Will be interesting to see if they survive the 3 weeks we're at Samui. I plan to put them in 3 plasticboxes with 20 liter water in each and see what happens biggrin.png

Be sure to let us know.... might be a better way than having someone looking after them....! People tend to forget! rolleyes.gif ...

Just plowed through this thread and it sounds like you people have quite some fun trying to grow all kinds of things not normally located in Thailand biggrin.png

Will be interesting to see if they survive the 3 weeks we're at Samui. I plan to put them in 3 plasticboxes with 20 liter water in each and see what happens biggrin.png

Be sure to let us know.... might be a better way than having someone looking after them....! People tend to forget! rolleyes.gif ...

Maybe i should try and take a before and after picture :)

scoop1

I really don't know who they are, I think it's a joint venture. Don't get me wrong not bagging them , just that one bad experience.

As for temperature changes you have to ask our resident expert Jimmy , he keeps an eye on such things lol.

who me....? It's been too hot lately.... nice to see it cool down a bit today! The night temperature thing here is the problem for some plants... just not cool enough.... and enough written through the treads on that... If you can find a high elevation location area, that would be good... in the south of Thailand at least...wink.png

There are at least three of these Hydroponic places around the island.... The one Mr Rooo is referring to is (I think) on the ring road in Bopout.... (they retail the one in Maenam does not) ...... At the bottom of hill or is it the top of the hill? (Makro - Big C area) I have not ventured in there to see what they have.... Tomatoes? hmmm well if anything like the British Columbia hydroponic toms the are bah.gif but they ship them to California by the truckload they luv em down there...blink.png ....

There is one in Thaling Ngam area, I believe... not sure where. Seen one on Koh Phangan too.

Then the one I know is in Maenam.... Lettuce and Italian Basil are his main crops, shipments everyday to the Hotels. He's a very approachable Thai, with good English. His former manager is looking or maybe was looking for an "investor" to set up a new place.

(PM me if you want to check that out.... and will see where he's at on that) ....

I am not sure if "farang investors" can invest in any thing to do with "farming" you might want to check that out carefully.... I've heard not allowed to do.... ??? wink.png

scoop1

who me....? It's been too hot lately.... nice to see it cool down a bit today! The night temperature thing here is the problem for some plants... just not cool enough.... and enough written through the treads on that... If you can find a high elevation location area, that would be good... in the south of Thailand at least...wink.png

There are at least three of these Hydroponic places around the island.... The one Mr Rooo is referring to is (I think) on the ring road in Bopout.... (they retail the one in Maenam does not) ...... At the bottom of hill or is it the top of the hill? (Makro - Big C area) I have not ventured in there to see what they have.... Tomatoes? hmmm well if anything like the British Columbia hydroponic toms the are bah.gif but they ship them to California by the truckload they luv em down there...blink.png ....

There is one in Thaling Ngam area, I believe... not sure where. Seen one on Koh Phangan too.

Then the one I know is in Maenam.... Lettuce and Italian Basil are his main crops, shipments everyday to the Hotels. He's a very approachable Thai, with good English. His former manager is looking or maybe was looking for an "investor" to set up a new place.

(PM me if you want to check that out.... and will see where he's at on that) ....

I am not sure if "farang investors" can invest in any thing to do with "farming" you might want to check that out carefully.... I've heard not allowed to do.... ??? wink.png

and a good one in Lamai called Hydro Heads run by a nice and knowledgeable Thai lady called K. Narumon. She does several kinds of lettuce and Italian basil, all very good. The entrance is off the ring road near the road up to Spa Village, yellow sign.

My husband brought me back a plant from Nathon today, but on his way back home he forgot the name laugh.png After browsing the internet I found it and it's a

Chinese Honeysuckle! I've been trying to find one although I had no clue what they looked liked, but I know they are very fragrant. Let's hope I don't

kill itwhistling.gif

My husband brought me back a plant from Nathon today, but on his way back home he forgot the name laugh.png After browsing the internet I found it and it's a

Chinese Honeysuckle! I've been trying to find one although I had no clue what they looked liked, but I know they are very fragrant. Let's hope I don't

kill itwhistling.gif

I saw one of those the other day at a nursery and was told the Thai name...at one of the nurseries in Lipa Noi area, on the right side hand side of the ring road... about 1 km past the Traffic light for Raja Ferry.

But I forget it's Thai name too biggrin.pngrolleyes.gif it did read English name did read Honeysuckle in the book at the nursery... (Lonicera if you want Latin name tongue.png )

I know someone who has one of these and seems to be doing very well and has been blooming a couple of months or more....... a plant I was surprised to see here!!!! . Nice fragrance too.

Another fragrant climbing plant that in full bloom right now is the pink Rangoon Creeper.... lovely scent in the evening thumbsup.gif

My favorite vine is the the Elephant Ears, which has Purple and white flower, heart shaped leaves, ..... that has come into full bloom these last few days, too, but no scent... but looks magnificent! ... a little aggressive for small areas...

Now I'm confusedermm.gif The plant I've got is know as the Chinese Honeysuckle or Rangoon Creeper (Quisqualis indica) and I assumed it was of the same

family as the honeysuckle I know from my home country. But now I find out they both belong to a different family. But I still have a fragrant flowersmile.png

When I google Elephant Ears I get images of different kind of flowers/plants, so I don't know which one you mean. Do you have the Latin name for me?

Now I'm confusedermm.gif The plant I've got is know as the Chinese Honeysuckle or Rangoon Creeper (Quisqualis indica) and I assumed it was of the same

family as the honeysuckle I know from my home country. But now I find out they both belong to a different family. But I still have a fragrant flowersmile.png

When I google Elephant Ears I get images of different kind of flowers/plants, so I don't know which one you mean. Do you have the Latin name for me?

Sorry to get you confused Mitmig... blink.png !!!

I thought I had a picture of this honeysuckle, but if I do, it's lost in a bunch of other pictures at the moment! sad.png (will try to find) It has a creamy white flower, very distinctively honeysuckle looking and scent, which is better in evening or at night.

The Ragoon Creepers name is Quisquailus indica not to confused with the Mexican Creeper (Antigonun leptbopus,) which is also pink and blooming now also, but has no noticable scent... bright pink flowers, whereas the Ragoon creeper is more star shaped clusters almost red pink... (that can vary a little) ...

The Elephant ears is Argyraia nervosa ... that of course is the problem with common names different areas /regions use different names sometimes!!! dry.png

here is a not very good picture of "Elephant ears" I seem to be having a problem with that fully uploaded.... it's going to be one of those days!!!! I think you can see enough to tell which plant it is! smile.png

post-85461-0-94492800-1336439253_thumb.j

Edited by samuijimmy

Hi Samui gardners I'm a newbie here

Sorry if this is not following the current topic

Regarding the red ants, if you want them to go (smoke em out) one technique that I have seen the local Thai people perform and it seems to be relatively eco friendly to move the ants on, is to hang a smouldering coconut husk nearby their nests, coconut husks will burn slowly for hours, it took about a week for it to work in my garden. Success rate is good but you must remove all trace of their engineering to discourage their return.

Can someone please tell me what this flower is called and how to take care of it. Photo attached

Also I have some plants for sale (very cheap) 30 Baht each

They are border/ shrub type plants, I have about 12-15 of them, they are mature plants with strong roots, all ready for transport

if anyone is interested please call me, I'm in Lamai.

This is my number Please send PM.

Thanks

post-152869-0-78419800-1336964456_thumb.

post-152869-0-92851600-1336964463_thumb.

Edited by Rooo
Phone # removed, as per forum rules.

Hi Samui gardners I'm a newbie here

Sorry if this is not following the current topic

Regarding the red ants, if you want them to go (smoke em out) one technique that I have seen the local Thai people perform and it seems to be relatively eco friendly to move the ants on, is to hang a smouldering coconut husk nearby their nests, coconut husks will burn slowly for hours, it took about a week for it to work in my garden. Success rate is good but you must remove all trace of their engineering to discourage their return.

Can someone please tell me what this flower is called and how to take care of it. Photo attached

Also I have some plants for sale (very cheap) 30 Baht each

They are border/ shrub type plants, I have about 12-15 of them, they are mature plants with strong roots, all ready for transport

if anyone is interested please call me, I'm in Lamai.

This is my number Please send PM.

Thanks

Hello Fastcat7, welcome!!!

I've seen my Thai neighbours use the burning / smoldering coconut husks to keep mosquitoes at bay, but not for getting rid of those blessed red ants, so thanks for the tip on that... thumbsup.gif

As for your plant pictures, the first one is Canna lily. The second one I cannot quite make out as picture is a little small, but will guess it could be Ixora... a closer pic of the flower would help! wink.png

Canna lilies are quite a tough plant and seem to grow in just about any soil or even in water (pond or pot) The come in a number of colours... They can be prone to getting black fungus on the leaves, the best thing to do there is cut off and burn the damage foliage. Cut off spent flowers as they finish to bring on new flowers. They need dividing occasionally too.

Good luck on selling your plants... !

Here!!! I finally found a picture of the Honeysuckle, which is growing well locally and I think an easy plant to grow... Is it the same one Mitmig?

One nursery that has this plant is Samui Plant Centre in Lipa Noi area. Perhaps 1 km past Raja ferry turn off ..... on right side coming from Nanthon.

post-85461-0-91593300-1337424797_thumb.j

I am not sure about most of Samui, but yesterday we had a little bit of rain in the Maenam area, quite welcome for sure! Even some mature plants were starting to show signs of stress, dropping leaves is a good sign! Most plants will tolerate some drying out, especially once established.... but what with the wind and high temperatures of late, it's enough to make anything or anyone wilt!rolleyes.gif Out with the water! ermm.gif

Some time in the last couple of weeks my Max/ Min thermometer hit our usual yearly high of 38 c. I think usually this happens in April.... so we are a bit off this year.

I headed down to one of Thailand's best kept secret areas last week, for a few days.... Thali Noi Lake, in northern Songkhla province... it's a paradise of Lilies and Lotus blooms by the millions. I know nothing to do with the Islands, but would recommend anyone headed south for a visa run etc, take time to stop at Thali Noi.... just east of Pattyalung (sp?) or west of Ranot (on the coast road headed toward Songkhla City) ... Quite well marked with large signs ... well worth a boat rental to tour the lake, but do in morning as lilies close up by noon!!!! wink.png

I have done this numerous times now and just get blown away every time I see it.... It's also a good area for bird watching too... April is the best month for lilies, January there are more birds as part of the migratory bird route, a worth see !!! There are a few resorts appearing in the area now, a big change from five or so years ago when I first discovered the area ..... thumbsup.gif

One thing too, the rice paddy's are dwindling to make way for Palm Oil production, the ever hoping to make more money, although the rice farmers in that area actually make a reasonable living and are quite proud of the fact the produce some of the best rice in the world, sad that there will be a shortage of rice at some point.sad.png

It was interesting to see so many orange Flame trees blooming all the way down, lots of those blooming around Samui too... quite striking!

post-85461-0-38478200-1337425121_thumb.j

Edited by samuijimmy

Here!!! I finally found a picture of the Honeysuckle, which is growing well locally and I think an easy plant to grow... Is it the same one Mitmig?

One nursery that has this plant is Samui Plant Centre in Lipa Noi area. Perhaps 1 km past Raja ferry turn off ..... on right side coming from Nanthon.

That's the same nursery I've got my Rangoon Creeper from! Didn't know they also had the 'real' honeysuckle, so I've got to visit them again wink.png A Thai

friend is building an arbor for me so the Rangoon Creeper can do what he's supposed to do. Would be great to plant the honeysuckle on the other

side of the arbor.

Those flame trees (delonix regia) are so gorgeous! There's a really huge one at the Namuang waterfall but the seedpods were too high for me to reach. Found another tree with seeds on the ground and I took a couple of them home. I was really surprised to see that one of the seeds already came out. Will take of picture of it tomorrow.

The picture of all those water lilies is fantastic Jim! I saw something similar near the Raja Ferry. Opposite the German Butchery is an artificial lake and it's

covered in water lilies. Have to go back there with my camera because I saw some moorhens which I would like to photograph.

Edited by mitmig

That's the same nursery I've got my Rangoon Creeper from! Didn't know they also had the 'real' honeysuckle, so I've got to visit them again wink.png A Thai

friend is building an arbor for me so the Rangoon Creeper can do what he's supposed to do. Would be great to plant the honeysuckle on the other

side of the arbor.

Those flame trees (delonix regia) are so gorgeous! There's a really huge one at the Namuang waterfall but the seedpods were too high for me to reach. Found another tree with seeds on the ground and I took a couple of them home. I was really surprised to see that one of the seeds already came out. Will take of picture of it tomorrow.

The picture of all those water lilies is fantastic Jim! I saw something similar near the Raja Ferry. Opposite the German Butchery is an artificial lake and it's

covered in water lilies. Have to go back there with my camera because I saw some moorhens which I would like to photograph.

Thanks Mitmig, you're so useful! biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif I just looked it up too, so that answers Itsohothere question.(Delonix regia) Also known as Flamboyant Tree. There is a lovely red flowered on near Hau Thanon, (Muslim Village) along the beach to the west, it usually blooms earlier....I've not been there for a while so not sure if blooming now, usually January and February for sure. My book also says there is a yellowed flowered one too, that I have never noticed! wink.png

As for lilies at Thali Noi, that's one huge lake and takes hours to see it all, by flat bottomed boat... what that picture shows is a very small area! Certainly worth planning a stop over if anyone ever heads south!

Thanks SJ and mitmig for naming the tree. There is one heading from Bandon to the airport, right hand side on the hill. Stunning. Keep thinking about stopping and picking up some pods or seeds or whatever when I pass, but the handbrake on the jeep is khrap, so suspect the car would end up in 99 just as I am getting out my trowel and plastic bags from the glove compartment.rolleyes.gif

(Glove compartment????laugh.png )

It is hot here.

itishothere.

I know, stupid name.tongue.png

Just a reminder. I was always told that honeysuckle is poisonous to dogs and small kids. sick.gif

http://www.ehow.com/...us-people_.html

However, I have neither and so I have a fabulous rangoon creeper 'hedge' at the entrance to my house. Smells great.

That's a new one on me, honeysuckle being poisonous..... always something to learn in the garden! wink.pngBut reading your link one would have to ingest a large quantity!

Rangoon creepers looking really nice at the moment. I am surprised I have quite a lot of seedlings popping up around the garden..... must have missed them in the last round of weeding! tongue.png

Edited by samuijimmy

At a restaurant yesterday I noticed their hanging orchids are growing on interesting bits of old wood, instead of the usual coconut husk in a plastic pot, much nicer-looking. Any tips for getting an orchid to grow on a bit of wood - do I just tie it on and wait for the roots to grow around the wood? (I presume keep it moist and add some spray-on food once in a while). Thanks in advance