Gardening On The Islands

More suggestions?

Habaneros thrive in hot weather. As with all peppers, the habanero does well in an area with good morning sun and in soil with a pH level around 5 to 6 (slightly acidic). The habanero should be watered only when dry. Overly moist soil and roots will produce bitter-tasting peppers.

The habanero is a perennial flowering plant, meaning that with proper care and growing conditions, it can produce flowers (and thus fruit) for many years.

http://en.wikipedia..../Habanero_chili

OK, anyone know how to check PH in soil and how to regulate that.

My pepper seeds.

Next time I'm going to order Peter Pecker chilli.

Capsicum---Peter-Pecker.jpg

Edited by PoorSucker
Added Peter Pecker

Soil pH Guide

Check the pH of the water using a pH meter (good luck finding one on the island). Collect some of the soil you'll be using and put it in a small plant pot (with holes in the bottom). Run the water through the soil and collect it in a jam jar or whatever, then measure the pH of the collected water. It will generally be on the acidic side, Peat moss (among others) will lower the pH; lime or even Epsom salts will raise it.

It may be enough to test that the soil is acidic using litmus paper. Depends how broad a range of acidity the plant thrives in.

Edited by Chantra

Without knowing the pH of the water after it drains through the soil, it's only guesswork. However, with a slightly higher than recommended pH level, the plant should still grow fine; it just won't win any prizes. Watering and adding organic fertilizer will naturally lower the pH.

Monitoring the pH level is for optimal growth and the only upshot is that there might be some mineral deficiencies during growing as nutrient uptake is inhibited.

Just make sure the soil drains well. If there is any build up of moisture, root rot can hit from lack of oxygen. One of the best things you can add to the soil is some coco coir, the 'hairy' husk of the coconut. Break it up and mix it in. Adding some worm casings (available at any garden centre) will provide a nitrogen kick for strong growth. Happy growing..

I got mine a few days ago!

Prairie Fire

Jalapeno Early

Habanero Orange

Habanero Red

Now a short 10 days holiday. Could I plant in November?

Ground or hydroponic?

More suggestions?

OK Angiud, I checked with my local Hydroponic guy this afternoon .... he says no to Hydroponically growing chillies.... !!! (he's well versed on the subject)....

He's got a ton of Italian basil, sadly going down hill, with fungus, due to the cooler damp weather, .... such a shame! crying.gif

Soil pH Guide

Check the pH of the water using a pH meter (good luck finding one on the island). Collect some of the soil you'll be using and put it in a small plant pot (with holes in the bottom). Run the water through the soil and collect it in a jam jar or whatever, then measure the pH of the collected water. It will generally be on the acidic side, Peat moss (among others) will lower the pH; lime or even Epsom salts will raise it.

It may be enough to test that the soil is acidic using litmus paper. Depends how broad a range of acidity the plant thrives in.

Thanks for the input here Chantra, you are correct about trying to find a PH metre on the islands... "no have" !!! .... They can be ordered as with most things from BKK or overseas obviously!

According to a "farang neighbour" who has one, the PH of soil, is relatively high.... but that would probably vary some what in different areas, perhaps depending on organic matter (usually lacking!!!)

Magnesium Sulphate / Epson Salts, and Lime are hard to find, the only place I have seen either for sale.... is the supply store located behind the Chevrolet dealer in Lipa Noi area on Samui.... for any one who wants to get..... although it has been a few months now since I was in there, so may not have at present!

The locals seem not to get so technical, and seem to have success, as long as the soil is well drained.... and adding 15 15 15 fertilizer... or buffalo poop! (used sparingly !)

More suggestions?

Found this page suggesting PH 6-7.

http://chilischiligr...rtile-soil.html

Yes, those numbers would be optimal for many plants.....but too, plants can be adaptable, which is not always optimal! wink.pngbiggrin.png

I see my neighbours adding charcoal chunks around some of their plants, including chillies, that seems to help with some plants too! (forgot to mention in other posts.... !!!

I'm getting confused! !!)tongue.pngrolleyes.gif

Here are a few plants under "experimentation" ... All grown from seed..... brought in from overseas.

It's going to be interesting to see how they do.... Anyone had any luck here in the south with any of them getting to any decent size ?

Sage, Rosemary Thyme, and Carrots.... The carrots are very slow to develop their bottoms! They have all been going for a couple of months now.... all SLOW! to develop!!!

I have a feeling if or when we get the heavy rains, they may pack it in.... we'll see!!! wink.png

post-85461-0-78879200-1352290077_thumb.j

post-85461-0-87406100-1352290096_thumb.j

post-85461-0-52012600-1352290115_thumb.j

post-85461-0-79175600-1352290135_thumb.j

Any eggs yet?

Huh? I think you should post that question here rolleyes.gif

http://www.thaivisa....deuropean-food/

or some where, else !!!! biggrin.png

Talking about the chickens you are getting as a presentwhistling.gif

Oh! ... actually I have enough chickens around here!!!

Actually seriously and getting back on topic, errr hummm whistling.gif .... Chickens are actually quite useful to have around the garden, they peck around all day, eating grubs including termites (thumbsup.gif )

The only thing I dislike about about them, is the clucking and cock-a- doodle dooing ...sad.png

Broody hens are the worst though, with the clucking they make when they lay the golden egg! I often find nests of rotten smelling eggs in the oddest places sick.gifbah.gif

Egg shells are useful to place around plants both in pots and the ground... There is your tip for the day!!! smile.pngwhistling.gif

One thing I should add, chickens are not good if you have seed in the ground, they tend to eat them...w00t.gif Hence it's a good idea to put netting around seeded areas....

or here is another method the locals use to protect seed while germinating... (not just birds, but sun too!!!)

post-85461-0-96431900-1352340470_thumb.j

Edited by samuijimmy

Welcome Thai Visa members from the Southern & Krabi Forums !

We look forward to your questions and input to the Gardening Section here....

You may disregard the fact that it says " Gardening on the islands" (it's an issue with Google search engines if the name is changed!!! Therefore just something we'll have to live with... wink.png ).

The fact is growing or what grows in southern Thailand is all pretty much the same... the biggest difference is rainy seasons in different areas are different ....

Please just mention where roughly you are posting from to help others in your area... thumbsup.gif

Two vines, I have never come across before and saw the other day! !!!

Both in Nathon, Samui, the pink one in front of the Win Hotel (next to first 7-11 coming down the one way on the beach front) The white flowered on just up the side street. The flash on camera, makes the flowers look yellow, but the are all pure white!!!

The white flowered vine, has a highly scented flower, it was dark when I saw this, so hard to get a decent image. It's flowers look like Datura or Brugmansia but I don't think either after doing a Google search!!! ..

The best name, I could get in for the white flower in Thai translating was "Speaker Flower" because it looks like a speaker!!! (well little bit, I guess!!! wink.png) ........ Both have vine like habits...

Anyone have any idea of their names?

post-85461-0-83866900-1353039913_thumb.j

post-85461-0-63140800-1353039922_thumb.j

post-85461-0-75553800-1353039932_thumb.j

post-85461-0-42866100-1353039942_thumb.j

OK, got my chilli seeds from the US today.

Hot Habanero (Capsicum chinense)

Hot Chocolate Habanero (Capsicum chinense)

Hot Fish (Capsicum annuum)

Hot Tepin (Capsicum annuum aviculare)

Hot Caribbean Red (Capsicum chinense)

Any suggestions.

Tried 3 years ago with bad result.

Thought that I'll try and plant now in November.

Happened across this pepper plant, ( not sure of type.) today up at the Lamai big Buddha Temple..(shown) ... . not sure of the elevation up there, but the air is definitely cooler.... which I suspect might be needed to grow some peppers!

..... and roses! .... impatiens (bizzy lizzies to the Brits!) .... and coleus!

So are you guys growing peppers showing any sign of germination yet? wink.png

post-85461-0-22353600-1353253836_thumb.j

post-85461-0-40076400-1353253885_thumb.j

post-85461-0-80273100-1353254066_thumb.j

post-85461-0-10042400-1353254129_thumb.j

post-85461-0-77857800-1353254138_thumb.j

Happened across this pepper plant, ( not sure of type.) today up at the Lamai big Buddha Temple..(shown) ... . not sure of the elevation up there, but the air is definitely cooler.... which I suspect might be needed to grow some peppers!

Bell pepper, I tried to grow them here and they ended up in that size. sad.png

Not serious attempt, I just put some seeds in a pot after cooking.

So are you guys growing peppers showing any sign of germination yet? wink.png

The germination time for chillies are 20-45 days.

This is a good result after 12 days.

The Tepin should hopefully show he's face after 40 days.

Most pepper should give fruit in 100 days, but the Tepin after 200 days.

Have you planted yours Anguid?

Bell pepper, I tried to grow them here and they ended up in that size. sad.png

Makes one want to give up!!!..... before even starting whistling.gifbiggrin.png Looks like 50% germination there!... mother them well! rolleyes.gif

Here is a picture of the seedling trays, I keep mentioning, I think better than the large pots .... but not easy to find... if any sees them anywhere please post!!! My local Hydroponic grower gave me a few... and I'm keeping them!!! wink.png

Some people up at that new Temple above Lamai are obviously trying to make an effort to build a nice looking garden ... I think lack of watering and fertilizing could be a problem! wink.png

Nicest Impatiens or Coleus, I have seen on the islands though... Roses covered in Black spot though, despite the good looking flower heads!

post-85461-0-43229000-1353306551_thumb.j

Edited by samuijimmy

Hi everyonewai2.gif , sort of related guys, my friend has finally managed to get a durian seed to start to grow in the UK(just on the window sill btw). Am thinking he's gonna be waiting like 20 years or more for one delicious fruit if hes lucky (I heard can take 10 yrs for small house plant type banana trees to be edible here!)

Durian is my favourite fruit in the whole world, am wondering have any of you grown it in cold climates like the UK and more threadwise how does it do on places like Samui,whats the time wait for first fruit, is it better up north with cold nights or down south?

Thanks in advance (not had chance to read all 24 pages btw assuming not covered it already)

Hi everyonewai2.gif , sort of related guys, my friend has finally managed to get a durian seed to start to grow in the UK(just on the window sill btw). Am thinking he's gonna be waiting like 20 years or more for one delicious fruit if hes lucky (I heard can take 10 yrs for small house plant type banana trees to be edible here!)

Durian is my favourite fruit in the whole world, am wondering have any of you grown it in cold climates like the UK and more threadwise how does it do on places like Samui,whats the time wait for first fruit, is it better up north with cold nights or down south?

Thanks in advance (not had chance to read all 24 pages btw assuming not covered it already)

No, can't remember discussing Durian here !!!!

Lots of Durian grown here on Samui and the southern areas, I am not sure about the time wait for maturity ... so the cool night thing is not an issue with them!!! I'd say one would need a huge house or green house, the likes they have a Kew Gardens, as they are large trees!!! whistling.gif .... oh and the smell of the fruit !!! bah.gifsick.gifbiggrin.png Not sure if you need male and female trees to pollinate ! Lack of humidity in a house may be a issue!!!! wink.png

As for Banana's there are some hardy types, when I lived in Vancouver, (similar climate to London) you used to see them, but never remember seeing them fruit... wink.png

.... Ummm ..... thought you were going to ask about Raffleasia? (this was posted on an unrelated forum, just so people know!!! ) whistling.gifsmile.png

Durian is strictly tropical and stops growing when mean daily temperatures drop below 22 °C, if temperature drops below 7 degrees the tree drop it's leaves.

Humidity should be 75-80%

Never seen them grown in Chiang Mai they will not grow well in areas over 3000 feet altitude.

When growing from seed the tree will give fruit after 10 years and tree height is over 25 meters.

Grafted trees will give fruit after 4 years and tree height about 7 meters.

• Like 1

We have a dark horse amongst us with his gardening / plant knowledge... you've been keeping that quiet PS .... did this come as part of the package of becoming a Mod ??biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

Here is a question:

.... What is the Provincial Flower of Surat-thanni.... anyone know with out looking it up?

The answer certainly surprised me.... I must admit I did look it up...!!!wink.png

We'll deal with other southern Provincial flowers later!!!

We have a dark horse amongst us with his gardening / plant knowledge... you've been keeping that quiet PS .... did this come as part of the package of becoming a Mod ??biggrin.pngwhistling.gif

Here is a question:

.... What is the Provincial Flower of Surat-thanni.... anyone know with out looking it up?

The answer certainly surprised me.... I must admit I did look it up...!!!wink.png

We'll deal with other southern Provincial flowers later!!!

Chilli flower..