Gardening On The Islands

I've got 2, all but hopeless.If it's a one off, why don't you get a couple of guys to rake it.

PS: You are quite welcome to try mine.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got 2, all but hopeless.If it's a one off, why don't you get a couple of guys to rake it.

An alternative might be to get a lawnmower (Home Pro or is it Home Mart? Beside Tesco Chawang ) & suck them in to the bag... & then you'll have nice mulch for the garden... used to do that all the time in the "west" ... You need a heavier duty mower.... with power wheels better... just make sure no rocks or glass bottles in the areas to do! :) could be a little dusty too, but then too a blower...

Been thinking of doing that myself...

Hand held blowers pretty hopeless as Rooo points out... I have never seen a back pack blower used in Thailand, that would work, better if you could find.. but would be very expensive... Some young lads would be cheaper! :D

Roo.

Pls

Can you move this to the gardening part of Samui forum as that was where i intended to post (error).

Thanks for offer, I may well take you up on that

Nirvana

An alternative might be to get a lawnmower (Home Pro or is it Home Mart? Beside Tesco Chawang ) & suck them in to the bag... & then you'll have nice mulch for the garden... used to do that all the time in the "west" ... You need a heavier duty mower.... with power wheels better... just make sure no rocks or glass bottles in the areas to do! :) could be a little dusty too, but then too a blower...

Any idea of brands ? I have not seen that being done. The land is not that level and it has really ALOT of tree cover over half so this is no small job or one hit wonder.of course sticks and twigs falling. It is on going process this job..

Hand held blowers pretty hopeless as Rooo points out... I have never seen a back pack blower used in Thailand, that would work, better if you could find.. but would be very expensive... Some young lads would be cheaper! :D

What ones do you refer to Roo ? The cheap Chinese brands or ? The ones I have looked at on the web are STIHL / TORO / JAPANESE BRANDS and are gas powered 2 stroke and above. They look pretty decent, but I have not used them ever in practice.

From what I could make out they are around 10 K baht +.

Now you say labour might be cheaper but then you have the issues of having different people into your land all the time. Them not turning up or having to be watched for stealing and if i am watching i might as well be raking. etc etc

I really hate raking as its alot of leaf fall and none of my family likes it either so i just want to get it solved and put some fun into it as I am sure all would be fighting to have a go on the machine.

Am i being lazy = yes

thanks

Nirvana

Hi Nirvana

I try & go through this in different colours.

Any idea of brands ? I have not seen that being done. No it was one of my "tricks of the trade"... saved hours of work, most people thought I was crazy... (probably right....!!). But Honda would be the best bet.... They are not the heavy commercial duties ones you get in the west, perhaps you can get in BKK... but would be very expensive).

But as long as the outlet hole is not too small & stuff to suck up not too thick or large branches it should work.... Place a tarp or two to dump out the collected material as the basket will fill fast.... that's easier for emptying & then drag tarp to compost pile. You may need to go over twice... but in my experience lots easier than tedious raking...

! :D )

The land is not that level and it has really A LOT of tree cover over half so this is no small job or one hit wonder.of course sticks and twigs falling. Small twigs will be OK...... It is on going process this job.. You may find you need to get the blade sharpened after doing this, but that should be cheap, most Thai's I know would do it for a beer...

What ones do you refer to Roo ? The cheap Chinese brands or ? The ones I have looked at on the web are STIHL I have not seen Stihl in Thailand, but their hand helds are just good for small areas, been there, tried that...(in Canada)

I always found Stihl blowers had too much of a small blow hole, hard on the arm after a while.... even on the back pack one... The name of the brand I did use escapes me for the moment! (Heat stroke!) Get something that has at least one year warranty, if as with some machines, it is three months.... well ... you can figure out it's not much good.

/ TORO / JAPANESE BRANDS and are gas powered 2 stroke and above. They look pretty decent, but I have not used them ever in practice.

From what I could make out they are around 10 K baht +. I would guess that is about the price you might expect to pay here...

Now you say labour might be cheaper but then you have the issues of having different people into your land all the time. Them not turning up or having to be watched for stealing and if i am watching i might as well be raking. etc etc...

Well my experience is different, with dealing with my local Thai's, I trust the ones I get to help me, but they are my neighbours too & we get on really well... I help them they help me... works well! You need to build a trust with Thai's, they are not all bad or thieves either!!! Pay them & even add a bit more if they have done a good job, they will be back ... but it needs to be fairly regular work.... my experience anyway.... Also pay for the gasoline if they use there own equipment.

Actually you might be better using older guys, the more I think about that...

I really hate raking as its a lot of leaf fall and none of my family likes it either so i just want to get it solved and put some fun into it as I am sure all would be fighting to have a go on the machine.

Am i being lazy = yes ....... I'd call it being efficient..... :D

Wish some one would send some rain & cooler temps, it's unbearable lately!

If you or anyone, post more to this perhaps start a new thread, as it easier to go through with fewer questions... (in other words, different topics for different questions... )

Thanks.... Jim

thanks

Nirvana

:D

I have not seen petrol operated ones on the island. I bought 2, a small one iI use with an extension pipe & a large German one, which blows or collects in a bag.These are more for pure domestic use & nothing large. Forget about sticks & the such.

I had a great electric one, but fool me sold it. Used to blow air @120kms an hour. Might pick one one up on my next trip.

The brand of Blower I could not think of this afternoon is Echo But doubt they are available in Thailand, & I doubt many people unless professional gardeners would want to put out the "big bucks"! to buy one..... 30,000 or 40,000 baht would buy a lot of labour, here! (they come in back pack or hand held types) ....

Actually a heavy duty power washer works well too, especially for getting leaves & small stuff out of beds etc... ( I know that sounds a bit like gorilla gardening, :) ) but it does work, you just have to avoid getting within a foot of flowers... trouble is I have never seen one of the big kind here either! I keep meaning to check out the Rental place in Nanthon to see if they have.

.... don't bother with the small electric ones.. it does not do it.... :D

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone seems to have "spaded" away, lately.... :)

I'm sure the heat of the last while has exhausted everyone from doing much in the garden .... I know it has me, although I've been picking away at things bit by bit.

The little bit of rain last week was sure welcome, but the weeds have taken full advantage of that & have sprung up everywhere!

Time to get the hoe out & catch them before they all go to seed! If not, there be tons more to get very soon!

Please don't be afraid to keep questions coming....!

Or do some "show & tell" with pictures of your garden!

Oh dear!

Well as your avatar name suggests, you probably could not have been a way at a hotter time... it's not letting up this year!

But if some these plants are shrubs, rather than say annual type plants, you might find they will come back... with some TLC & water. Plants can be tougher than most people think.

You may need to cut them back (shrubby things) & give them a week or two & see what happens... before rushing out & buying more! I've been surprised sometimes, how things can spring back to life!... it can depend on how established the roots are..... (newer plantings may have less of a chance) ....

Next time perhaps get one of the neighbours to give things a watering... that's what I do...

Good luck.... try that... then post before & after pics! :)

Rooo.... It's a tree with yellow flowers! :) Actually very nice! There is a purple flowering tree around now that is nice too...

Flipping through my Thai plant book, my guess is "Golden Shower, Cassia fistula but don't ask me to write that in Thai!

I would check out the tree nursery, between Maenam & Ban Tai on the left hand side... Large sign set back off the road, saying either 180 or 280 trees.... their prices are reasonable on many of their trees... I've not been in for a few months so not sure if they have.... but might be worth checking... I think before what used to be the Esso Gas station... but that general area .... turn on little side road & go about 500 meters....

The large nurseries in Ban Tai & Maenam (Same Same, owners) may have too, but be prepared to dig deep into your pocket!

Ratchaphruek is the name in Thai, Golden Shower Tree or Cassia fistula is correct. Its the national flower of Thailand in fact. A leguminous tree (it fixes nitrogen in the soil) but no idea where to buy it. Try stealing er borrowing seeds and growing them. :)

rachapruek (ราชพฤกษ์), also called dok khuen (ดอกแคน)

Hi all....

Had a good look around the garden yesterday and was horrified to discover we are infested with White Mealy Bugs, of course all are under the leaves so not easily accessible in crowded garden so spraying will be a nightmare.

Anyone got any proven non-insecticide suggestions we may try? I have read we could introduce Ladybirds as a natural preditor but to be honest in the year we have lived on Samui I am not sure I have ever seen one here?

Have had success in the past with .

Cherry Tomatoes, Loads of fruit once you get them going.Pot first from seed.

Basil , Thai and Italian moved to corner of garden went crazy.

Pappaya low maintenance

Garlic Chives Pot first from seed

Radish pot first from seed

beetroot pot first from seed

Chillis, just throw seeds in a pile of dirt and water regulary.

lemon grass from cuttings.

Bananas from cuttings.

rosemary brought in Bangkok ( tricky )

Unfourtunatly moved house and now have to start again but already have established: Banana trees, Jack Fruit, Basil ,Huge fruit producing cashew nut tree, thai (curry) leaves ? my Thai friends went crazy for them

Got loads more to try.

Now the heat is due to come down a bit I will plant the seeds (pots) and prepare the soil in the garden, have had some compost broke down with Em brewing in the corner for 3 mths that I will mix in plenty of sand in the soil already.

Biggest problems I have had in the past.

Over watering to much moisture everything went mouldy , particulary regular tomatoes.

Insects, Thai insects seem to love my efforts and eat it all in a day when they get set in.

Sunburn, so will install a net that can be moved if necessary.

Heavy rain and flooding, this time im going for a raised bed with hardcore as drainage to stop rot and mould.

Flakey mates when you go away that say " sure I will come round and water your plants" then forget or go just once in two/ three weeks.

So start again tomorrow.

Hi all....

Had a good look around the garden yesterday and was horrified to discover we are infested with White Mealy Bugs, of course all are under the leaves so not easily accessible in crowded garden so spraying will be a nightmare.

Anyone got any proven non-insecticide suggestions we may try? I have read we could introduce Ladybirds as a natural preditor but to be honest in the year we have lived on Samui I am not sure I have ever seen one here?

Hello Jules & Martin

I have seen ladybirds occasionally here on Samui, but not sure if you can buy them (as in some western countries)..,

Same problem in my garden too, I've noticed lately... I generally cut of the affected leaves as I see them, mostly on Hibiscus at the moment, but it's a tedious task checking everything, as you say... but after the bit of rain lately a few things need trimming back anyway.

I am not sure if Neem oil spray works on Mealy bugs, I know I used a couple of things last year for various bugs.... but this year letting nature take its course! Actually getting lazy, would be more like it! biggrin.gif

Take a leaf /stem with the mealy bug on it to your local garden shop, & see what they say about natural remedy... The ladies at the Maenam nursery are usually helpful ( I did ask them for Neem Oil today, but they are out of stock until sometime next week.).

Let us know how you make out!

Have had success in the past with .

Cherry Tomatoes, Loads of fruit once you get them going.Pot first from seed.

Basil , Thai and Italian moved to corner of garden went crazy.

Pappaya low maintenance

Garlic Chives Pot first from seed

Radish pot first from seed

beetroot pot first from seed

Chillis, just throw seeds in a pile of dirt and water regulary.

lemon grass from cuttings.

Bananas from cuttings.

rosemary brought in Bangkok ( tricky )

Unfourtunatly moved house and now have to start again but already have established: Banana trees, Jack Fruit, Basil ,Huge fruit producing cashew nut tree, thai (curry) leaves ? my Thai friends went crazy for them

Got loads more to try.

Now the heat is due to come down a bit I will plant the seeds (pots) and prepare the soil in the garden, have had some compost broke down with Em brewing in the corner for 3 mths that I will mix in plenty of sand in the soil already.

Biggest problems I have had in the past.

Over watering to much moisture everything went mouldy , particulary regular tomatoes.

Insects, Thai insects seem to love my efforts and eat it all in a day when they get set in.

Sunburn, so will install a net that can be moved if necessary.

Heavy rain and flooding, this time im going for a raised bed with hardcore as drainage to stop rot and mould.

Flakey mates when you go away that say " sure I will come round and water your plants" then forget or go just once in two/ three weeks.

So start again tomorrow.

Thanks for the input here!

Interesting you have had luck with Tomatoes, I gave up after the third or forth try!

Beets & radish surprises me too, you must have heavy soil?

Curious as to what EM brewing is ?

Perhaps you need more brew, so your mates don't forget to drop by...rolleyes.gifburp.gif

I find my Thai neighbours more reliable at watering, when I go away... but they now they will rep the benefits of getting the extra fruit or veg... if I or they get there before the bugs!

Shade netting certainly helps with several plants... Chillies for sure.

Keep us posted on things! ...

Yes, gardening is always a new start! .... & never finished!

Hi all....

Hello Jules & Martin

I have seen ladybirds occasionally here on Samui, but not sure if you can buy them (as in some western countries)..,

Same problem in my garden too, I've noticed lately... I generally cut of the affected leaves as I see them, mostly on Hibiscus at the moment, but it's a tedious task checking everything, as you say... but after the bit of rain lately a few things need trimming back anyway.

I am not sure if Neem oil spray works on Mealy bugs, I know I used a couple of things last year for various bugs.... but this year letting nature take its course! Actually getting lazy, would be more like it! biggrin.gif

Take a leaf /stem with the mealy bug on it to your local garden shop, & see what they say about natural remedy... The ladies at the Maenam nursery are usually helpful ( I did ask them for Neem Oil today, but they are out of stock until sometime next week.).

Let us know how you make out!

Hi SJ,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions, I have read many recommendations for the application of Neem Oil including killing the small black spider lice that seem to infest the grass here waiting for a dog or cat to jump onto. I will try to get some next week as you suggest.

I have started a spray treatment from a tip i found on the internet, mix the following and spray at regular intervals:

4Gallons of water

1/4 Cup of White Vinegar

1Tblspoon Baking Soda (BiCarb)

1Teaspoon Coconut Oil

1 Teaspoon Washing Up Liquid

1 Teaspoon Tabasco Sauce

Juice of 10 Crushed Garlic Cloves

Not sure if it kill them or enable them to mutate into World Cup Opening Ceremony Bugs....................Will let you know which in due course

Hi J&M

That took me a second to figure out who SJ was... duh!biggrin.gif

I have a ten liter sprayer, so can get some power from the spray nozzle... but the small trigger sprayers are OK too....just harder on the finger!

The recipe looks interesting. I might try that today too. Seems to me I made up something simular last year, but used Chillies & Neem leaves... This will finish off my Tabasco sauce! ohmy.gif

Use a strainer after blending chillies!

Cooking oil will work, just as well, as coconut oil, .

Just watch your eyes, the chilly / Tabasco will burn! blink.gif

It took me a long time to find regular white Vinegar, here, But Tesco, Big C & Makro do have it in 3 liter (I think) containers for about 65 baht. Same price for about a 50 ml bottle!

Not sure if the Thai vinegar, will do as well, they all have both... different taste & smell to what westerners are used too.....

By the by, white vinegar is a good cleaning agent, & helps prevent that musky smell in closets, too, 50/50 mix water vinegar! Just spray! (Free info, for those who did not know that!)

Best to spray, in the evening, after 6 pm, when most of the beneficial insects, have headed home! (Bees etc) At the moment it's nearly 7 pm before it gets dark.jap.gif

Hi J&M

That took me a second to figure out who SJ was... duh!biggrin.gif

I have a ten liter sprayer, so can get some power from the spray nozzle... but the small trigger sprayers are OK too....just harder on the finger!

The recipe looks interesting. I might try that today too. Seems to me I made up something simular last year, but used Chillies & Neem leaves... This will finish off my Tabasco sauce! ohmy.gif

Use a strainer after blending chillies!

Cooking oil will work, just as well, as coconut oil, .

Just watch your eyes, the chilly / Tabasco will burn! blink.gif

It took me a long time to find regular white Vinegar, here, But Tesco, Big C & Makro do have it in 3 liter (I think) containers for about 65 baht. Same price for about a 50 ml bottle!

Not sure if the Thai vinegar, will do as well, they all have both... different taste & smell to what westerners are used too.....

By the by, white vinegar is a good cleaning agent, & helps prevent that musky smell in closets, too, 50/50 mix water vinegar! Just spray! (Free info, for those who did not know that!)

Best to spray, in the evening, after 6 pm, when most of the beneficial insects, have headed home! (Bees etc) At the moment it's nearly 7 pm before it gets dark.jap.gif

Well I got motivated today & made this batch... opps! I see I forgot the baking soda! .... But I did add some lemon grass.... Makro had peeled garlic, so saved the task of skinning them...tongue.gif

I blended every thing up, with small amount of water & the oil.

(Leave the dish washing soap, while blending BTW! or you'll have a mess! ) You can add when mixing into the sprayer, it just acts as a spreader /sticker anyway...

Absolutely make sure you strain the mixture really well, my sieve is fairly fine, but squeezing through a cloth would be better... then mix with the larger amount of water.... The sprayers' spray nozzle is very small, so does not take much to plug them.

I sprayed this evening and it was almost dark before done, so will see, what the results are in the morning...

I did take some "before pics", of mealy bugs, but a bit blurred, so I won't post....

The "brew" actually smelt very good, might make a good sauce, or marinade !

Attached are a couple of images of Mealy Bug,(After the spray)

This was after last evenings' spray & they looked much more dried up, than before the spray mix mentioned above ... they were larger (sorts of looks like cotton wool, generally under the leaves but also attacks the stems, generally on newer shoots.

I had been through last week & sniped out larger "specimens" of the bug.

I hope too, that some caterpillars met their demise!

I got thinking about Baking Soda, this is good for helping prevent black spot on roses. I teaspoon, to One liter of water & a little bit of dish washing liquid... Spray about once a week!

I don't have much luck with roses, here, I have two, sort of hanging in there,... not the best of specimens!

post-85461-098457200 1276608090_thumb.jp

post-85461-012827100 1276608261_thumb.jp

Hi SJ,

:)

Thanks for running my control experiment !. All good advice on the mixing method, I am planning to mix up a batch this weekend so I will follow your excellent instructions.

I tried a simplified version last week (minus the chilli's & Garlic) which was all fluids and no potential nozzle blocking solids, it seems to have worked well but a few stubborn buggers remain either due to avoiding the spray or because the mix was washed off in this weeks welcome rain.

I did read the mix is both a preventative and a treatment but will take a little time to clear them completely so I am prepared to be patient. It was also advised to water some mix around the soil to kill any eggs waiting to hatch, i'll try that too.

BiCarb and vinegar seem to be miracle ingredients for the health of both plants and humans.... google it!

Hi,

I need help urgently. I have a beachfront villa with a lawn area about 200 square meters right in front of the beach. How often do I need to water the lawn? I don't stay there often, so am not expecting the lawn to be in super condition, but as long as it is green, I am happy. It has been watered by sprinkler operated manually. Pls advise how often and how long do I need to water the lawn. Thank you.

Hi,

I need help urgently. I have a beachfront villa with a lawn area about 200 square meters right in front of the beach. How often do I need to water the lawn? I don't stay there often, so am not expecting the lawn to be in super condition, but as long as it is green, I am happy. It has been watered by sprinkler operated manually. Pls advise how often and how long do I need to water the lawn. Thank you.

Already replied, on general posts .... perhaps the mods will move it here... & keep the "garden tidy!":)

I've never had luck with roses, some people seem to be able to grow them but I have never had success.

Interestedly, I noticed today that the two scruffy roses I have, have perked up, since I did that spray last week... but too, it could be the result of cooler weather?

I see my Yesterday, today & tomorrow plants, which I did not spray, because I had not seen Mealy Bug on it, now has the bug! grrrrr! :angry:

Perhaps I'll make a new concoction tomorrow & spray the plants I missed.

I've never had luck with roses, some people seem to be able to grow them but I have never had success.

Interestedly, I noticed today that the two scruffy roses I have, have perked up, since I did that spray last week... but too, it could be the result of cooler weather?

I see my Yesterday, today & tomorrow plants, which I did not spray, because I had not seen Mealy Bug on it, now has the bug! grrrrr! :angry:

Perhaps I'll make a new concoction tomorrow & spray the plants I missed.

I am now two treatments and three weeks into this new mix experiment, as mentioned last post the first week was minus the chilli and garlic but second week I included these.

To the stated mix I added Tabasco sauce x1teaspoon and I crushed x10gloves of garlic into one of those mesh balls you use for loose green tea and let it steep in the mix for an hour before loading the sprayer.

I am pleased to say even although I can find white deposits under some leaves these crumble to dust now when they used to crawl away.

Our Thai gardener has moved from amusement at the stupid Ting Tong Farang using Som Tum Thai ingredients on his plants to absolute amazement at the results, I suspect he is now brewing his own and flogging it around the other gardeners as he now permanently stinks of garlic :rolleyes:

I am now two treatments and three weeks into this new mix experiment, as mentioned last post the first week was minus the chilli and garlic but second week I included these.

To the stated mix I added Tabasco sauce x1teaspoon and I crushed x10gloves of garlic into one of those mesh balls you use for loose green tea and let it steep in the mix for an hour before loading the sprayer.

I am pleased to say even although I can find white deposits under some leaves these crumble to dust now when they used to crawl away.

Our Thai gardener has moved from amusement at the stupid Ting Tong Farang using Som Tum Thai ingredients on his plants to absolute amazement at the results, I suspect he is now brewing his own and flogging it around the other gardeners as he now permanently stinks of garlic :rolleyes:

Good one, stupid Ting Tong Farang using Som Tum ..... very funny! :lol:

Actually my garden helper gets right in there with these things... he loves to experiment with stuff like this... I think he likes playing with the blender!

I'd say that just using pulverized chillies, would be cheaper than the Tabasco sauce... I bet your Thai guy, is not using that, they don't seem to like it! :bah:

I did not get around to making a new brew today, but did give the Mealy Bug a blast with just water from the hose, I'll see it that does the trick too...

will check in the morning!

Using the blast of water on the Mealy bugs did not work! (life never that simple! )

I have a new brew of the above mixture, ready to go & will spray this evening. It was interesting I added the baking soda this time & it bubbled way up the pot (the reaction of baking soda & vinegar) so use deep pot when mixing!

I just came across something on one of those what I call "Joke emails" I've never heard of before .

It was discussing the benefits of CUCUMBERS!

One of the "recipes" was to place a few slices of cucumber on aluminum plates, & place around the garden.

The reaction, supposedly to give off a gas that bugs don't like ... and not detectable by humans... hmmm! I think keeps them away, rather than kills them... maybe they will just stay at the neighbours!

Worth a try I would think, but with the winds lately might be an idea to pin down the plate with a spike! Not sure how often to replace, I think cucs would dry out pretty fast!

Archived