Gardening On The Islands

In catching up on some things around the garden this last week, I made a few observations, which I thought I would share:

The Concoction of garlic, vinegar etc (posted above) seems to be keeping the Mealy Bugs at bay, still, that has been about a month now.:D I never did get around to trying the cucumber thing on aluminum plates.

I did notice yesterday, the little black ants having a feast on white fly larvae in a friend's garden... nature taking care of its self!

Whilst hoeing & digging around, I noticed a few big grubs in the ground, (about 1 to 2" long 1/4" thick, brownish in colour) These, I know from past experience, will chew the base of the plants and cause death of the plants! (Even woody plants) They need to be disposed of, if you see them! Occasionally see large green caterpillars chomping on leaves, these can also be removed by hand, :bah:

Preventing weeds from seeding, has helped keep new seedlings from appearing, although there is always one or two that hide in the bushes & do their thing! But being on top of most of them certainly helps. The weed with the little blue flower used to be very prolific, & now is very much under control, even in the lawn.

With so many flowers blooming now, there is certainly an increase in butterflies flitting around, I've even seen a few birds I never seen before, one almost the size of a hummingbird, with a bright red back.... They never sit long enough to get a photo...... it all adds interest to the garden!

Now if we'd get some decent rain for a few days, that would be nice!

Happy Gardening!

Lets get a few more questions or your observations going here! :jap:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noted this morning the number of readers, who had read this topic, I was surprised by this evening it was 58 readers for the day!

Is everyone afraid to ask questions??? I'm sure there is more we can add to this topic.... it's been almost a month since anyone did...:whistling:

Well I'll add a few observations I have made especially since the much needed rains started ...

In reference to an earlier question about watering lawn grass:

All grass seems to have greened right up, since the start of the rain.... so it shows it is not necessary to water lawns, (especially when we have general water shortages), it does come back.

My observation too, is that it does not seem to need fertilizer either.... Cutting is important, especially to keep weeds from seeding, I've cut mine twice in the last three weeks & the spotty bits have filled in nicely. I used the clippings & put it around the shrub beds & worked in to the soil... adds well needed organic matter to most soils!

Many plants seem to grow like crazy after a bit of rain, so some trimming & pruning has been needed to keep plants in check... especially hibiscus, which I found to be a excellent hedging plant.

While we do have some rain, if plants look a little peaked (not healthy looking in growth or vibrant green leaves), using some 15 15 15 granular fertilizer will perk things up quickly.... (light blue, many of the garden centers carry it.) On veggies, I'd suggest 8 24 24... You don't need a huge amount, but it does depend on the size of the plant, obviously.... less is better, you can always add a little more, in a week or two, if needed.

So, a few tid bits... any questions? .....don't be shy! ;)

Alot of grasses go dormant in the dry season and perk right back up as soon as it rains. So, if you are willing to live with brown grass, then I wouldn't worry too much about your grass dying completely off.

If possible its better to use some kind of composted fertilizer as the heavy rains pretty much just wash any chemical fertilizers into the soil rather rapidly and it doesn't necessarily feed your plant that much.

I don't mulch, to be honest, it encourages all sorts of bugs that eat everything in addition to some nastier critters I dont' want near my home.

The problem here on the islands is that fertilizers types are hard to get, so there is not a huge choice. They all bag it down to about 1 kg, , which makes it rather expensive, but shipping costs is rather expensive for them, so that is why. I have yet to find a place on Samui, that sells the large bags, but they will bring it in for a price!

If the soil is sandy, then fertilizer will disappear very quickly & not give much benefit as it has nothing to "cling" to. I am fairly fortunate that some of the soil in my garden is fairly heavy & I moved some of the heavier soil to sandy areas & mixed it together...adding coconut fiber too. Of course some garden locations do no provide that option... having the heavier soil & I don't think is easy to buy...

The last couple of years, my Thai neighbour brought in 600 bags of dried Buffalo poo from the mainland, during October, used what he needed for his hundreds of fruit trees & garden & sells off the rest for about 80 baht a bag... But I've not seen the garden centres bring it in. The problem with the poo is does attract small flies when it gets wet, although the smell is not too bad ....but the price we pay for organics!

With the mulching I've been trying with grass clippings, (all this is experimental, but in my mind logical, to get organic matter where it is needed) I let it sit on the soil for a few days, then work it into the soil, fairly thinly, around the edge of the root zones, thus hoping not to attract the nesting holes for critters! ... but your comment SBK, is well taken.....

Having a light loose mulch on top of the soil does not work that well anyway, it runs down the road with the first heavy rain... I learned that my first rainy season!!! :annoyed: ....so in my opinion why it's better to work it in to the soil.... that would also help give fertilizer to have something to "cling" too, as well & also help retain moisture at the root zones... better than burning it, I think!

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst at the Koh Samui Hospital the other day, I came across this huge stemmed flowering plant, it must be at these 30 feet (10 meters) ... 6 feet higher than the power pole, which I would guess is around 25 feet.

It's located towards the sea wall, walking from the parking lot.

Anyone have any idea of it's name?

I cannot find in my local books... Yucca like in appearance, with yellow flowers all the way up..... It just keeps going & going!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am sure all gardeners are breathing a sigh of relief, (perhaps not the tourists) with the fairly decent amount of rain we've been getting lately.... Perhaps not enough yet to impact the water tables for many wells.

The weed seeds are germinating with gusto! Time to get out & hoe hoe hoe!... next sunny day, certainly before they all flower again.... :annoyed:

post-85461-044584500 1282310908_thumb.jp

post-85461-087541100 1282310918_thumb.jp

post-85461-079285400 1282310939_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

That magic potion, is 4 Imperial gallons?If it is , so it's about 18 litres of water. Am I right there?

Hello Rooo,

This was from an original post by J & M . I would guess it might be US gallons?

When I made up the mixture I put the mixture into my 15 litre tank . That is what I would suggest to do, if you have one. Other wise cut down on the mixture....

I don't think it is necessarily an exacting science.... I used the "about method", when blending. ( you might want to add a little water when blending & make sure to use a good strainer, even a clothe, so as not to plug the sprayer) , Add the concentrate to the water.

Remember to leave the dish soap until you add to spray tank, then shake it around.

I used cooking oil, not coconut oil. Use caution when spraying anything with fuzzy leaves or around ferns, when spraying, they don't usually like the oil!

Here is the copy of the mix.... I've added my substitutes or method... which worked.....!

4Gallons of water (15 litres)

1/4 Cup of White Vinegar

1Tblspoon Baking Soda (BiCarb) (Remember Vinegar & BiCarb will fizz up)

1Teaspoon Coconut Oil (or any cooking oil)

1 Teaspoon Washing Up Liquid ( Add after putting concentrate in tank)

1 Teaspoon Tabasco Sauce... ( I think adding hot chillies instead of Tabasco, is fine too! )

Juice of 10 Crushed Garlic Cloves ( Just put the whole peeled garlic in the blender & strain)

When it comes to gardening & landscaping, it is a case of choosing the "right plant for the right place" ... Often people buy things because it looks nice, but neglect to think about maintenance or what that plant will do in a year or twos time!

In out climate here, many plants can grow amazingly fast, and get out of control very quickly.... many people become overwhelmed with when or just how to prune or shear. ( or finding some one to do it)...

A good case in point is using bamboo, (especially as a hedge) particularly the golden bamboo, which unless you have a huge property, can be a really nuisance... with leaf drop, it also can cause skin itch for several days, if it is handled, definitely a plant I would avoid!

The tall green bamboo, can also get out of control very quickly, if not sheared or pruned about once a month... Depending on the size of the hedge, that can become expensive to maintain... and tedious too. Ideally if it can be kept at a reasonable height of six to eight feet (2 metres +-) it won' be too hard to trim.... any higher then it becomes more difficult.

(A bit like Leylandii Cypress in the UK, cheap to buy, but expensive to maintain once out of control! I think someone recently told me it has been taken off the market, there) .

The leaf drop from bamboo can also be hard to keep on top of, it the leaves fall onto lawn, then it tends to kill (choke out) the grass, if not cleaned up often.

The pictures show: The cut bamboo, (golden in this case) grew 10 foot new stems within a week after being cut to the ground!

Using a tarp to pick up leaves to carry them away, is useful.

How it can look with regular pruning..

How out of control bamboo has killed the grass......leaving just dirt, which is not attractive.... .. It also spoiled the branching of trees

Golden bamboo, growing through power lines.... that will be very difficult to cut back!!!

What used to be grass is now dirt....

For a hedge I like the common red Hibiscus, less pruning / shearing so easier to maintain. Alamanda, the yellow trumpet flowered plant, can also make a nice low hedge, but there are many other plants too.

If you have comments or questions please don't be afraid to ask!

post-85461-051684700 1284883777_thumb.jp

post-85461-040414900 1284883800_thumb.jp

post-85461-005152200 1284883823_thumb.jp

post-85461-046871500 1284883850_thumb.jp

post-85461-052819500 1284883928_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Well in case no one has noticed the rainy season seems to have arrived! :rolleyes:

Great for the plants, weeds & grass which all seem to be growing like crazy lately.....

My advice would be to make sure weeds & grass are cut (pull out weeds!) before the weeds go to flower & seed! That will save a lot of work later!

We seem to get a few dryish days, so that would be ideal time to do.... . Cooler temperatures make it more pleasant to putter around & do things around the garden!

It might be a good idea to oil your equipment, shears, pruners, saw blades & the like.... If you have a mower clean the underside & oil the blades to help prevent rusting too. I use motor oil & either dip or whip with oily cloth.... ... Don't use WD 40..... (except to loosen nuts).... If blades need sharpening it's usually easy to find someone to do.

Good time too, to make cuttings or divide quite a number of plants too.... !

I don't think Parsnips would not do well here on the islands, I have never seen any being grown here, but perhaps in the northern reaches of Thailand... (cooler at night!!!) or definitely in London! :)

Carrots won't do it here either.

There is a tree here, that the Thai's dig up roots and call it "Thai Potato". They just cut stems & lay them in the soil & within months a 12 foot high tree! Then they dig up the roots... which look like a huge elongated potato... must admit it I have never tried it, so not sure what they taste like.

There we go my mission today will be to take pictures of the "Thai Potato" tree! & add it to my picasa link.

think you are talking about Cassava?..good screen tree and grows like crazy..

I don't think Parsnips would not do well here on the islands, I have never seen any being grown here, but perhaps in the northern reaches of Thailand... (cooler at night!!!) or definitely in London! :)

Carrots won't do it here either.

There is a tree here, that the Thai's dig up roots and call it "Thai Potato". They just cut stems & lay them in the soil & within months a 12 foot high tree! Then they dig up the roots... which look like a huge elongated potato... must admit it I have never tried it, so not sure what they taste like.

There we go my mission today will be to take pictures of the "Thai Potato" tree! & add it to my picasa link.

think you are talking about Cassava?..good screen tree and grows like crazy..

Yes, SBK put up some good illustrations of that way back when! I had been experimenting with it to do as you say to make a good quick growing screen....

Problems I have found:

The locals come and dig out roots.... causing "trees" to fall over... :rolleyes: I had one at about 20 feet for some quick shade last year... alas it blow over in the last wind...! Partly because the roots have been dug out recently & partly it is not deep rooted enough plant, I think .... I now don't need it where it was & used the branches to make new plants, for the locals to use in an area that is 'not my garden area" :D

You really need to keep on top of cutting it back, (almost as bad as bamboo! ) but it's very brittle, so I think not a good one for long term screen! Have you / or anyone had long term luck with it....long term for that purpose?....

I am putting this plant on my list not to use in a "garden situation"!

I think the common red Hibiscus & some other varieties of Hibiscus are pretty good as a fast growing hedge / screen, except for mealy bug occasionally it seems to be fast & easy to grow ... with some TLC & fertilizer! & shearing occasionally. !

Now with the rainy season I think a good time to propagate by using 12 to 15" pencil thickness wood (Older wood not the tips) & stick them in the ground about 18" a part.... if soil reasonable you'll have 6 to 8 + feet plants within a year.

Another plant I think would make an interesting fast growing hedge plant is Duranta erecta variagata Purple & white blooms with a nice fragrance...(would remind the English amongst us of violet sweets....) seems to bloom a few times throughout the year. Tends to send out long graceful stems....with fragrant blooms on the ends.

If one has wide enough space Caesalpina pulcherrima (Peacock flower) comes several colours & blooms & blooms! It does bit a bit like Bougainvillea with it's thorns though~ they bite!

Anyone else have so ideas for fast growing screening plants? I see from the number of readers to this forum that it does get read! ... so come on lets have a few more questions & answers! .... especially now the rainy season seems to have arrived!

Just by the bye..... With the heavy rain of late, my Papaya tree came crashing down this morning, on to a trellis of vines....I now have to make new trellis! I think the vines will survive, but was not on my plan of things to do list this week!:)

A huge Neem tree also did the same on Sunday near the Maenam temple.... so watch out for "top heavy" trees.....:o

• 1 month later...

What natural hedging besides bamboo, 3-4 metres high is available? Criteria, decent size to start, reach maturity quick or can be purchased mature stage.

Thanks in advance.

To achieve 3-4 metres, fast & from my experience of experimenting with a number of plants, I think the red or double flowered red or peach coloured Hibiscus would serve the purpose... (other hibiscus don't seem grow so fast or tall... you need to make sure which variety you get!!!) ....

But at this height would need some top support, such as heavy wire running parallel if over 2 metres or you may find it will flop.. plus you would need strong support when it needs to be sheared (about 3 times a year, seems to do it).... Use cement pillars,to hold the wires, I think!

When I planted my hibiscus hedge from cuttings, it had reached almost 3 metres within a year, even with some pruning/ shearing to make it bush out. Plus regular watering in dry season, especially the first year.....(just about any plant, regardless of size when planting) & feeding with fertilizer (15 15 15) three or four times a year.

Draw back it does get attacked by Mealy bug a couple of times a year, which means spraying (The concoction mention previously, seems to solve that) ....

Other plants I have tried are Allamanda, (yellow trumpet like flowers, but seems to be much slower & not fill in so much.

Durantha erecta, has purple scented flowers, which I think may make a good hedge if sheared.... but I only have one, so not tried it as a hedge, but going from it growing habit I think would fit the bill.... but again would need support wires.... and a bit more training....

Then there is Bougainvillea, but this is more of a pain to maintain, partly because of its thorns & more shearing... Depends on the width you have too... I have seen this grow two or three feet almost over night... especially after a rain!

As for places to buy, I have not seen large specimens .... (actually never really looked, because most plants grow so quickly or make my own cuttings, when I can or buy small ones) .... Now would be an ideal time to make cuttings, especially Hibiscus, pencil or large sized (older growth) ...

Perhaps SBK or others will jump in here with some other suggestions???

You could also consider making a "wall" of vines, two that have made good screens for me are Argyreia (Elephant ear) Purple flower... or Antigonum AKA Mexican creeper. prolific pink flowers ( but attracts a lot of bees!) .... both of these would need strong support wires & training.... although looking at a couple of my elephant vines, they are not happy with their feet sitting in water... not sure if they will survive or not, therefore it depends on drainage.....

Hope that helps a little!

hey, just added another bungalow and huge soily yard to my plot here on the beach that i intend to turn into combination lawn/recreation area/veggie garden.

i've just taken some photos two days ago of the "before" stage and will upload shortly. have already enlisted and received help from some friends to stake out my new white picket fence thanks to beer chang and a great cook.

total yard size is roughly 4,500sq.ft. and approximately 2,000+sq.ft. of that area will be a dedicated veggie and melon garden experiment. pretty good soil in partial to full sun and roughly 300ft from the sea. already have success with pumpkin, papaya, chilis, basil etc. just from throwing seed out the back door haha.

anyway, i'll get some photos up of the before stage soon, off to malaysia for a few days and will begin the compost bin and raised beds once i get back.

just wanted to add that after all this rainfall, there are destined to be massive numbers of mosquitos ready and waiting to bite anyone who spends time in the yard or garden. after suffering several weeks with dengue fever and not wanting my children to have the same, i've imported several mosquito pheromone based traps to place around the perimeter of the yard. after only two weeks they are attracting large numbers of mosquitos that have already laid perhaps several thousand eggs inside these traps, never to hatch or survive thanks to some dish detergent drops placed inside.

i use this same combination of dish detergent and water in my electric pressure washer (1tbsp per liter) and spray it all over the yard and soon to be garden area. also, read above about garlic and chilis in water as pest deterrent, used to use this combo on the regular with great success and plan to implement the same here soon around the veggies.

Lost about 6 of my Papayas recently,(they were only about 8 months old) due to flooded areas in my garden. I think they must have just rotted and fallen over. Not sure about the ginger yet, will have to wait untill all of the water has drained away, probably another month of so. Sham the papayas were doing so well.

Lost about 6 of my Papayas recently,(they were only about 8 months old) due to flooded areas in my garden. I think they must have just rotted and fallen over. Not sure about the ginger yet, will have to wait untill all of the water has drained away, probably another month of so. Sham the papayas were doing so well.

Joe & Eric .... combined comments here!

Each day that passes now, plants with their "feet" sitting in water, are showing signs of stress or things like Papayas & Pomelo trees just falling over... other plants have just given up & rotted already....

I got out yesterday and tried to dig out some trenches to get the water moving where I could.... but some level areas in my garden are still too saturated for water to go down... I'm sure others are finding the same?

In some areas the water is becoming quite stagnant and as you point out a good breeding area for Mosquitoes.... I am not sure that the garlic & chilly mix would have much effect on killing larvae or mosquitoes.... but worth a try, I think perhaps lemon grass / citronella mixed in might help..... deter?... If the water is moving then mosquitoes tend not to breed.... Empty out buckets /containers of sitting water too .....

In Canada I used to use Mineral Oil in small garden ponds, that suffocates the larvae..... but not very practical for large areas, I don't think.... (not sure if you can find Mineral Oil here or not?)

As for pheromones ( be interesting to know where to get) It must be available, as four or five years ago, there was an out break of Malaria on Koh Phengan & the local authorities fogged the beach concerned with pheromones to irradiate the problem. (it was set up by the KP hospital after the outbreak) .... It will be some time before we see if either of the two mosquito diseases break out... But generally I think it will be the local Thai's or Burmese who get it first, as they tend not to use repellent. ... although I did see one Thai using the other day... that was a first!

As for doing any seeding, Joe, I would hold a little until the heavy rains stop, or you might just find they will either rot or just float away!!!!

Look forward to seeing some pictures posted here!~

hey jimmy, was intending to say that i use dish detergent and water inside my pressure sprayer to cover vast areas of lawn and low bushes to combat mosquitos. chili and garlic is for the critters trying to eat my veggies before i get the chance.

the mosquito pheromone traps i use is a product called "Oak Stump mosquito traps", google should help locate some info. three weeks into my first experiment with them and i'd have to say that they do work so far as upon checking last night just before dusk, you could see the mature mosquitos flying around inside and after opening the top to look in, many more thousands of eggs and larvae.

i never use any deet based mosquito spray btw, not fond of the idea of rubbing that poison into my skin. i am a huge mosquito magnet anyway. if there are any around they will find me so experience has taught me to wear white clothing and try to stay in any breeze possible.

seeds for my new veggie garden won't be sent from the states for another week or two. have a lot of composting, soil prep etc. to do first.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi could anyone suggest some nice plants that would grow in a well shady and damp area.

Its a patch of garden up the side of my house that has the overhang of the roof and opposite

a wall and trees blocking out the sun. It gets a lot of water with the run off from the roof but not

much chance to dry out. I would be grateful for any suggestions

Thanks in advance Springsteen

Hi could anyone suggest some nice plants that would grow in a well shady and damp area.

Its a patch of garden up the side of my house that has the overhang of the roof and opposite

a wall and trees blocking out the sun. It gets a lot of water with the run off from the roof but not

much chance to dry out. I would be grateful for any suggestions

Thanks in advance Springsteen

Hi Springteen,

There are a number of plants I think you could use, perhaps you could say what kind of height you want..... (which would fit the situation!)

After the rains we had lately, there are some plants that have had a good test that will survive sitting with "wet feet". Over the next few days, I will try to get some photos uploaded of plants that have survived....

A few I thought dead are already showing signs of life again (some definitely dead!) ... But keep in mind that through the dry season, the soil will be bone dry! (you will need to water most of them, especially until established!)

In the mean time, Ferns, (several types) Peace lilies, Prayer plants & a few other plants .....seem to have survived...... I need to look up some other names of plants that would probably fit the "shadier & wet situation"...

Of course if anyone wishes to add their experiences & choices here, please feel free to do so! :D

Hi Springteen,

There are a number of plants I think you could use, perhaps you could say what kind of height you want..... (which would fit the situation!)

Cheers Jimmy

(Height) I am looking for no more than knee-high and something that might brighten up that part of the garden although beauty isn't important just something that can handle the conditions and remain healthy with a little care from me.thanks for taking the time and for the suggestions will look into these .

Springsteen

Hi Springteen,

Cheers Jimmy

(Height) I am looking for no more than knee-high and something that might brighten up that part of the garden although beauty isn't important just something that can handle the conditions and remain healthy with a little care from me.thanks for taking the time and for the suggestions will look into these .

Springsteen

I did actually wander around the shady parts of my garden yesterday & get some pictures ( not had time to download off the camera!!!) I also looked though my Thai book, "Plants for Landscape Architectural Uses in Thailand" but did not come up with much for damp shady situations.... other than "Bamboo Palm" (Chamaedorea erumpus), but knowing this plant it will eventually grow fairly tall ( I have seen as high as 10 feet at about 9 years old) & a plant that does like being cut back to side shoot on the stem, but will send up new shoots from the roots.... Not fast growing!

The other plants I already mentioned should be OK, but I still think, that your soil will be quite dry in the dry season, keep in mind we had a bit more rain this rainy season than the "norm"...... It also depends on the type of soil, you have, some of mine is drying out nicely, but then the next step I find my self ankle deep in muck! :D:

You'll need to give some TLC & fertilizer (15 15 15) about 3 times a year.... will help!..... Except perhaps for ferns, which will look after them selves......... there are a number of different foliage types available.... ( Thai name for Fern is "Fern"! .... that helps! )

SBK's suggestion of Coleus, is good, there are some nice colours (leaves) around, at many of the garden centres usually.... Two things to keep in mind with Coleus, pinch off the flowers! & also make cuttings, as they usually are not long lived.... Cut 4 or five inch stem tips, take of the bottom leaves & put the stem in the ground, they root in no time..... (sprinkle foliage a few times a day until rooted) .....This will also help keep the original plants bushy! (Easy! ) (Coleus seem to do OK in full sun here too! )

If you had a bit more light, Canna Lilies, don't mind wet, but I think will be spindly in too much shade. Pinch of "spent flowers", & they will keep blooming.... (for anyone else reading this who has more light!.)... They will even grow in water pots or ponds....plant in clay soil in a pot) also in will grow in dryer areas...if watered regularly........ There are some nice plantings near the traffic lights near Samui Immigration, & also at the Samui Airport.... but need to be divided every two or three years)......

It all might be a case of some experimentation.... but do keep the area cleaned of weeds, as they will take over!

coleus are pretty tough when it comes to damp and shade and if you buy varied colors it can brighten it up quite a bit

I think this is my mutant coleus ( the red plant) .Look at the size of the leafs.I will tell you my secret if you ask nicely. But first guess why it's so big.

reasonable to assume that there are no chipper/shredders or tillers for rent on the island?

Maenam Trading had a shredder for sale several months ago.... forget the price, looked fairly heavy duty........I suspect still there.... left side as you go into the main building....

Archived