Thai Government Hangs By A Thread

webfact

What's happening downtown now? the Nation has not posted many updates this morning. What are the protesters up to, where are they going today? Is the government taking any action?

It looks to me as if they are taking a rest. Quite quiet down there except for speakers speaking on both stages at the moment.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect to your post Rick,but haven't they always had access to arms?

I agree, but what kind of army allows the opposition to take their arms. Why were the trucks not guarded and why did some soldiers reportedly hand over their weapons?

hel_l, you would be court marshalled for doing this in the West. Only in Thailand hey!

This in my opinion is a very sad day for Thailand.

Cheers, Rick

Great, so now the Reds have got M16's, ammo and CS gas. This could turn very nasty very soon if nothing is done to curb the situation.

Cheers, Rick

Alarmism w/o any facts.

I guess the pictures of the reds giving back seized weapons to the police/army are amazing fakes?

And on this note, a reminder of the forum rules as the next person who crosses this particular line will find themselves with a30 day posting suspension if not outright ban.

Forum Rules Might I suggest to our members to read the entire thing but this one is of particular relevance to my public warning.

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

A coup would now be the most peaceful way forward,lets hope it happens quickly like tomorrow!

I fully support a coup that is followed by free and fair elections.

I definitely don't support a coup that will turn into another few years of absolute army rule and then end up with the army choosing a new PM.

:-) Now rainman is supporting a coup?

No disrespect to your post Rick,but haven't they always had access to arms?

I agree, but what kind of army allows the opposition to take their arms. Why were the trucks not guarded and why did some soldiers reportedly hand over their weapons?

hel_l, you would be court marshalled for doing this in the West. Only in Thailand hey!

This in my opinion is a very sad day for Thailand.

Cheers, Rick

What he said.

Thanong is usually way out there, but his talk of a national untiy government being planned may be one of the more sensible things we read today even if he would oppose it I think. Right now it is looking for a way out that keeps stability and there arent too many options left. Of course a peaceful clearance would also be one in the short term but would it be possible and how long would the short term last and it wouldnt solve underlying problems?

All we can do is watch events unfold and hope they dont get too out of control and that the adults do actually come up with something every side can accept

A national unity government *may* be good, but whether it is good or not, Thaksin won't accept it, so it won't happen.

Here you are again with that broken CD about Thaksin .

Thanksin is not even in Thailand why do you speak bout him all the time

Why dont you speak instead of the total lack of support that Abhisit has in the

country side , north of BKK (south am not sure ) .

Ha ha! Maybe Thaksin can answer that question himself moresomekl on his next phone in. :) Regional politics are normal in all countries. Just look at the differences between Boise, Idaho and say New York city in the U.S.

Great, so now the Reds have got M16's, ammo and CS gas. This could turn very nasty very soon if nothing is done to curb the situation.

Cheers, Rick

Alarmism w/o any facts.

I guess the pictures of the reds giving back seized weapons to the police/army are amazing fakes?

Not being alarmist at all. Do you not think that its serious that the general public have M16's?

Maybe you are a Yank?

By the way I did not see them being handed back, so please post a link.

Rick

A coup would now be the most peaceful way forward,lets hope it happens quickly like tomorrow!

I fully support a coup that is followed by free and fair elections.

I definitely don't support a coup that will turn into another few years of absolute army rule and then end up with the army choosing a new PM.

:-) Now rainman is supporting a coup?

The worm has turned.

oh so you don't agree with selling national assets? like the good ole' USA doesn't allow foreign companies to own things right? all the manufacturing is owned within the USA right? they wouldn't dream of allowing US citizens to sell to other countries right?

Not communications satellites and security tied in infrastructure.

They may make and sell OTHERS of them abroad but the USA controls theirs tightly held.

Some middle east country tried to buy the ports in Maryland, and that didn't fly.

Try and draw a distinction between national assets like Thailands ONLY satellite communications link,

and buying a generic but huge business office building in NYC....

Some things tied to national security are never for sale.

Thaksin breached that line big time.

I would go further - these types of things should never be owned by individuals but by the nation - problem solved! but he owned them - up to him! (not saying this is right but you get my point)

first, the Red Shirts are less and less Pro Thaksin, a large part has other motivations and are not Thaksinist followers. I think that the recent events proceed to the emancipation of the Reds from the Thaksin influence. Obviously new leaders are surfacing...

second point and the most important argument, I know that General Chavalit is promoting the idea of National Unity since months... IMHO, I do believe it will be at the core of the discussions between Anand, Banharm, Chuan Leekpai and Chavalit next week....

Blantant lies! Thaksin is the soul leader of this movement and Chavalit has set up his People Army.

The Thai version of the Kmher Rouge in the making.

Thanong is usually way out there, but his talk of a national untiy government being planned may be one of the more sensible things we read today even if he would oppose it I think. Right now it is looking for a way out that keeps stability and there arent too many options left. Of course a peaceful clearance would also be one in the short term but would it be possible and how long would the short term last and it wouldnt solve underlying problems?

All we can do is watch events unfold and hope they dont get too out of control and that the adults do actually come up with something every side can accept

A national unity government *may* be good, but whether it is good or not, Thaksin won't accept it, so it won't happen.

Here you are again with that broken CD about Thaksin .

Thanksin is not even in Thailand why do you speak bout him all the time

Why dont you speak instead of the total lack of support that Abhisit has in the

country side , north of BKK (south am not sure ) .

Ha ha! Maybe Thaksin can answer that question himself moresomekl on his next phone in. :) Regional politics are normal in all countries. Just look at the differences between Boise, Idaho and say New York city in the U.S.

North of BKK means north of BKK , including central Thailand , not just far North and North East

The demand made by the red leaders is immediate dissolution of the parliement followed by general elections .

I see nowhere an amnesty for Thaksin as a demand by the red shirts .

Now if you believe that just to prevent hypothetically the return of one person

Thailand , one of the most democratic country in SEA , should transform itself

in a dictatorship you are way out of your league

Yellows are a small yet very vocal minority of thais i think . They dont even believe in democracy and general elections.

I don't agree. The Yellows are not a small minority, and they do believe in elections. ...and their type of democracy is more real than the Red's type. There was a dust up a few years ago when someone on a Yellow stage said something stupid about some peoples' votes counting more than others (I can't recall the quote), but that nonsense was quickly refuted by the Yellow leaders. However, that little hiccup has become fodder for anti-Yellows - even though it was an anomaly.

OK fine . But the PAD has been banned as a political party if am not mistaken . You see now how unfair this provision of the constitution is to voters .

But if the PAD not banned or say reinstated , lets have an election and count the votes that PAD receives

And yet again you show your overall knowledge of things in Thailand ---

the PAD has never been a political party.

Some of the members and core leaders of PAD did set up the NPP after the 2008 silliness.

Seems like the Thai Army is a field of watermelons and razor wire is the vine….green on the outside, red on the inside! :)

I think most of them feel as if they are being asked to perform unthinkable acts against their own people. It would probably be different if these weren’t their uncles, aunts, nephews, cousins… this is their family, and this is their Thailand. I’m sure very few of them want to be in this situation and even fewer want any violence. However, pushing them with threats and unethical offers of money is Abhisit. He and his cronies have no limit in protecting their little empire. A reasonable, confident leader would have already called for fresh elections! Further decisions by Abhisit that results in bloodshed are for his personal gain, and not for the betterment of Thailand. Go Reds!! Keep on fighting for liberty and justice for ALL

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/u...n_thailand.html

"Ha ha! Maybe Thaksin can answer that question himself moresomekl on his next phone in. :) Regional politics are normal in all countries. Just look at the differences between Boise, Idaho and say New York city in the U.S."

"North of BKK means north of BKK , including central Thailand , not just far North and North East

The demand made by the red leaders is immediate dissolution of the parliement followed by general elections .

I see nowhere an amnesty for Thaksin as a demand by the red shirts .

Now if you believe that just to prevent hypothetically the return of one person

Thailand , one of the most democratic country in SEA , should transform itself

in a dictatorship you are way out of your league"

I said regional political differences are normal and used an example.

I never said anything about amnesty for Thaksin. I don't know where you got that.

I never suggested a dictatorship for Thailand either. Again, where did you get that?

Perhaps you're the one out of their league? I think your better suited to writing fiction than sober political analysis.

Cheers

I find it unbelievable that anyone would even suggest a "coup" is the best solution....you really amaze me! What about a dissolution of parliament and a fair and free election, or does that not fit into you ideoligies?

Yellows are a small yet very vocal minority of thais i think . They dont even believe in democracy and general elections.

I don't agree. The Yellows are not a small minority, and they do believe in elections. ...and their type of democracy is more real than the Red's type. There was a dust up a few years ago when someone on a Yellow stage said something stupid about some peoples' votes counting more than others (I can't recall the quote), but that nonsense was quickly refuted by the Yellow leaders. However, that little hiccup has become fodder for anti-Yellows - even though it was an anomaly.

OK fine . But the PAD has been banned as a political party if am not mistaken . You see now how unfair this provision of the constitution is to voters .

But if the PAD not banned or say reinstated , lets have an election and count the votes that PAD receives

Some of the members and core leaders of PAD did set up the NPP after the 2008 silliness.

PAD is the front for NPP , everyone knows bout the PAD .

Acronym is not important

Don't let angry mobs force new elections. In every democracy there are people who will be dissatisfied. If they are allowed to take to the streets and force new polls it will happen over and over. If the Reds actually value democracy they should wait for the next scheduled elections, but it's really about Thaksin's money isn't it. If the Reds use terror and intimidation when they are only protesters imagine how much worse they would be as the government. Then you'd see what a real dictatorship is like.

The Democrat Party took over the Government after:

• Continuously criticising the Taksin Government for using state funds for the poor

• Refusing to take part in the elections of 2006 because they knew they would lose

• A military coup in September 2006

• A military Constitution was introduced in 2007 which decreased the democratic space

• They lost the December 2007 election

• They supported the PAD violent demonstrations which seized Government House and closed down the international airports

• The Royalist Courts were used twice to dissolve Red Shirt parties which won majorities

• Corrupt politicians were bullied and bribed by the army to change sides and support the Democrat Party

you think this is democratic?

Let's see ... point 1 --- a lie

Point 2 --- could be construed as true --- is definitely not honest

point 3 --- True there was a coup -- has nothing to do with the Dems --so not honest

point 4 --- Not true -- people voted on the constitution -- new constitution seen as providing more checks and balances -- had nothing to do with the Dems so yet again not an honest argument

point 5--- lost dec 2007 election --- mostly true -- but NOBODY "won" that election-- so less than honest

point 6 --- The Democrat party never supported PAD -- a few Dems did -- lie

point 7--- illegal claim and not true --- The courts ruled on evidence before them --- and a lie --- PPP did not win a majority in 2007

point 8--- rumours lies etc

So --- we again have CMF criticising the courts illegally --- and stating lies ---- and blaming the Dems for things done by the military etc.

Not a real intellectually honest argument in the group.

if you bothered to read the threads you would know that I was quoting another poster - you are such a dunce and your yellows chummies are on the way out

Let's see --- no quotes ... no attribution .... presented as your own lies but you claim you are just repeating other people's lies.

BTW "and your yellow chummies" fits one of those lies --- the Democrats are not "yellow" :)

Don't let angry mobs force new elections. In every democracy there are people who will be dissatisfied. If they are allowed to take to the streets and force new polls it will happen over and over. If the Reds actually value democracy they should wait for the next scheduled elections, but it's really about Thaksin's money isn't it. If the Reds use terror and intimidation when they are only protesters imagine how much worse they would be as the government. Then you'd see what a real dictatorship is like.

The Democrat Party took over the Government after:

• Continuously criticising the Taksin Government for using state funds for the poor

• Refusing to take part in the elections of 2006 because they knew they would lose

• A military coup in September 2006

• A military Constitution was introduced in 2007 which decreased the democratic space

• They lost the December 2007 election

• They supported the PAD violent demonstrations which seized Government House and closed down the international airports

• The Royalist Courts were used twice to dissolve Red Shirt parties which won majorities

• Corrupt politicians were bullied and bribed by the army to change sides and support the Democrat Party

you think this is democratic?

Let's see ... point 1 --- a lie

Point 2 --- could be construed as true --- is definitely not honest

point 3 --- True there was a coup -- has nothing to do with the Dems --so not honest

point 4 --- Not true -- people voted on the constitution -- new constitution seen as providing more checks and balances -- had nothing to do with the Dems so yet again not an honest argument

point 5--- lost dec 2007 election --- mostly true -- but NOBODY "won" that election-- so less than honest

point 6 --- The Democrat party never supported PAD -- a few Dems did -- lie

point 7--- illegal claim and not true --- The courts ruled on evidence before them --- and a lie --- PPP did not win a majority in 2007

point 8--- rumours lies etc

So --- we again have CMF criticising the courts illegally --- and stating lies ---- and blaming the Dems for things done by the military etc.

Not a real intellectually honest argument in the group.

Getting back to reality

Point 1. True.There was a huge amount of criticism on the Democrats side of Thaksin's populist policies, policies which they largely adopted when in office.

Point 2. True without the need for any kind of qualification.

Point 3 True.The Democrats didn't of course organise the coup but they were the beneficiaries, and never outrightly condemned it.

Point 4 True.The state put all its weight behind the junta's constitution and was roundly condemned by international human rights organizations.The Thai people were threatened that if they didn't agree it would be unilaterally implemented anyway.Even then it only just passed.

Point 5 True.

Point 6 True.The PAD had great support among the Democrat leadership and urban rank and file.Abhisit, Korn, Kasit all had strong links.

Point 7 True.The politicisation of the Thai judicial system is a matter of record.

Point 8 Partly true because I'm unaware of any bullying.Money was the critical factor as it usually is in Thai politics.

Edited by jayboy

PAD is the front for NPP , everyone knows bout the PAD .

Acronym is not important

Ummmm you still missed every relevant fact.... and yes the PAD was a movement the NPP is a political party that formed much later so to state that the PAD is a 'front' for the NPP is just simply untrue. BTW -- you also lied above about the PAD being against elections etc, but hey why let any facts get in your way of some red propoganda!

Most of the criticism of Thaksin populist policies was

based on the non-sustainability of those proposals.

A big difference between saying don't help the poor,

which is what has been implied this criticism means...

We see the Dems applying sustainable methods to similar aims these days,

long term solutions,

not sops for the masses simply to get them to vote for you.

The Peoples Channel is back on the air loud and clear.....10:15am today.

Don't know what happened this time but they are back!

Just checked 10:21am. No signal. Blacked out in Esaan

Strange...I am in Issan and it's coming in loud and clear still....and now 11:03am .....now broadcasting in English

Weng Tojirakarn told red-shirt protesters at the Rajprasong to get some rest Saturday morning before making another raid at the Thaicom satellite earth station in Prathum Thani.

Weng announced that the red-shirt protesters would have to make another raid at the station in Lat Lum Kaeo district after the PTV transmission on Thaicom went offline again.

Some 4,500 troops were deployed to guard the station Friday night.

The Nation

I guess this answers my earlier question about the Reds trying to re-take Thaicom.