Songran Fun Or Not

ilovemangos

I think the Songkran Festival is a good way for thais to blow off steam, "let their hair down", and have fun but. ...

However I vote it is definitely NOT FUN due to the penchant for these ever smiling, yet diminutive people to enforce their single-minded "mandatory participation policy" regarding it.

It has taken the better part of 4 years here to get the thais on my soi 'trained' to understand that while I accept Songkran I DON'T participate. :D At least now they don't try to get me wet on my forays to/from the store, etc. :)

Sadly the same understanding is not shared by the ones on Sukhumvit Road near my soi. :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rented a motorbike a couple of years ago in Pattaya, was pulled 2 minutes further down the road (think the cop was probably getting quite well paid from watching the guy doing the rentals) and not stopping the guy from renting them out I should say. Cop pulled me and totted up all sorts of offences, all related to the bike, took me to the cop shop and made me pay.

A week later when songkran started I was sat outside a bar on second road with a bucket or two of ice water, I got a couple of them too, little bit of payback for the corrupt bstards.

Long live songkran, unless you're uptight, in which case living in Thailand is not working for you

I hate it! Humbug!

I might like it if it didn't take away my rights not to be involved. I'd say jolly well if there were places to go to participate, but I don't enjoy not being able to walk almost any place without getting wet...even when you make it clear you don't want it.

I will say there are some keys to getting through it. It helps if you're old and look grumpy! That's me! It's helps if you're limping along. And right now with some serious foot problems, that's me too. So far I've gotten a little wet, but mostly people have been somewhat considerate of my age and my apparent not feeling well and hobbling along. It's been almost sweet the way some of the people have come up and gently rubbed some wet powder on my face.

What I don't get is why it's so much fun for so long. Across the street from my condo building is a 7/11, and up and down the street toward the Emporium there are some people who have now been out there for 3 straight days throwing water. Hours and hours and hours of throwing water. Nope...I just don't get it.

Someone earlier mentioned the older traditions of Songkran. That's more what would interest me. Older traditions for an old man! :)

Songkran? What Songkran? Moved outside Sukhumvit (Darkside Pattaya) a few months back and it's wonderful, loads of places to eat, Lotus just across the Suk not a water gun in sight! Hadn't planned to go into town don't need to and glad of it - just wish they'd stop wasting the water so the City would turn my supply back on! :)

Oh, it was great fun. I manage to blow a few people off their motorscooters as they were driving by and the accidents were spectacular. Then, with all the traffic the ambulances couldn't get through to help with injuries. The bucket of water I dropped off the overpass put a huge dint in the mercedes driving by underneath. Sorry I didn't get any photos because I was too busy running from the boys in brown. :)

Call me an uptight b!+CH if you want, but this year, hated it.

Hate the part where they are all drunk and driving through traffic w/o a license and trying to drive through my car. We are sorting out the accident and get sprayed, my insurance papers getting wet. Hate having been mobbed by drunken snot-nosed spoiled college kids.

Btw, on Thursday I ended up needing to head into work.

Ofcourse I was splashed downtown as the further downtown you are, the less they care if one is dressed for work and carrying a document bag.

I do not think the following groups had fun this year;

- Hospital ER workers.

- Rescue squads collecting the bits and pieces of crash victims.

- Police officers calling or visiting next of kin.

- Families that lost a loved one

- Airlines ferrying out refugees.

The people that most likely did well this holiday;

- Coffin makers and all the assorted tradesman and caterers that furnish the funerals.

- Sadists

- Pharmacies selling medications to deal with the infections arising from victims doused with sewage etc.

Just sayin' :)