Water Throwing Has Already Started

Jimmyd

For example, can anyone think of one good reason to throw a bucket of water at a motorcyclist moving along at say 40 - 60km? Could anyone not consider this example an attack? What about a high pressure water gun sprayed directing into the face of a moving motorcyclist? We could go on and on with further examples of sheer stupidity or sadism.

It's definitely a sadistic attack. The purpose is to cause the motorcyclist to have an accident if at all possible, which could even lead to death. And do so with no fear of any legal prosecution!

It happened to me a couple of years ago. Coming home from work on my motorcycle, I got a bucket of water over my head just after overtaking a truck. I was going probably 80 km/h at that moment. Nothing happened because 1) I wear a full face helmet and 2) the road was straight and without potholes, I couldn't see anything for 2 or 3 seconds. I was also extremely lucky that I held strong enough to the handle bar in that moment and did not fall off. Falling off the bike would have brought me straight under the truck I just overtook.

NB, I came home from work, so that was one day before the official start! :)

This incident basically manifested for me that I will never ever participate in any water splashing anymore. Had it with it.

you were going at 80 km/h on a bike during songkran?

sorry raro, but thats just as stupid as the one who threw the water!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example, can anyone think of one good reason to throw a bucket of water at a motorcyclist moving along at say 40 - 60km? Could anyone not consider this example an attack? What about a high pressure water gun sprayed directing into the face of a moving motorcyclist? We could go on and on with further examples of sheer stupidity or sadism.

It's definitely a sadistic attack. The purpose is to cause the motorcyclist to have an accident if at all possible, which could even lead to death. And do so with no fear of any legal prosecution!

It happened to me a couple of years ago. Coming home from work on my motorcycle, I got a bucket of water over my head just after overtaking a truck. I was going probably 80 km/h at that moment. Nothing happened because 1) I wear a full face helmet and 2) the road was straight and without potholes, I couldn't see anything for 2 or 3 seconds. I was also extremely lucky that I held strong enough to the handle bar in that moment and did not fall off. Falling off the bike would have brought me straight under the truck I just overtook.

NB, I came home from work, so that was one day before the official start! :)

This incident basically manifested for me that I will never ever participate in any water splashing anymore. Had it with it.

you were going at 80 km/h on a bike during songkran?

sorry raro, but thats just as stupid as the one who threw the water!

We should be going a little slower so that when we see the wet road in front, we can do a u-turn and re-plan our journey.

Arhhhhhhhh!

Happy Songkran.

No, unfortunately it doesn't stop at night. The closer we get to the big days (18th, 19th), the more night time water throwing you'll see. The people who throw water after hours are the sadistic ones who get a kick out of upsetting people (plenty of them in Pattaya). They don't get any fun out of throwing water on already soaked people during the day, so they pick on people at night who really want to stay dry and they prefer to use ice water if it is available. This is their big chance to pick on people without repercussions.

Well said, it's like a license to be a jerk.

Absolutely. They target the people who least want to get wet. They prefer people who beg and plead with them before they soak them. These people prefer high pressure water guns and target sensitive areas where the most discomfort will be caused. If available they will always use ice cold water.

Make no mistake about it: Water at ambient temperature thrown in the daytime at low pressure can be considered fun if everyone is doing it. Ice cold water, or any water thrown at night when normal festivities have ceased is an attack with the express purpose of causing as much discomfort as possible.

Going somewhere and expecting to get wet is one thing. Going out expecting to stay dry and then getting drenched is another matter entirely.

This is the reason why most normal people try to escape Songkran if at all possible.

I have seen this many times in Pattaya.The farangs are in the bars,discussing who they are going to shoot in the faceor balls,they are discussing which lady they will try to hit in the pussy.total idiots

We should be going a little slower so that when we see the wet road in front, we can do a u-turn and re-plan our journey.

Arhhhhhhhh!

Not good enough, though going slower is certainly advisable. At night, the water hooligans will often hide around a corner or behind something in darkness so they can't be seen in time for the motorcyclist do anything when they jump out and try to blind him/her.

Also, you have the cruising pickup trucks who can often manage to pull up beside your bike.

the bars here have the water containers out and two or three farang outside throwing buckets of water into the faces of all the motorcyclists that go past, weird thing is I dont see anyone going into the bars or any drinks being sold and all the tourists I meet that spend money left to get away from it

The farangs throwing water all have bought drinks in the bar of which they are standing outside. In case you hadn't noticed, most of the bars in Pattaya, other than a fortunate few, have few patrons most of the year anyway, due to a massive overbuilding of bars in fun city for the past 10 years or more.

Also, if you were to hang around long enough, throwing water into motorcyclists faces is by no means an exclusive farang sport.

Considering that the same thing has happened for the past 14 years at least, does the fact that Thais still ride motorcycles along Beach Rd during Songkran tell us something about the Thai psych? If I get hit in the head with a bucket of water, I wouldn't go back, unless I wanted to get hit again. If I stay in Pattaya during Songkran ( I'm avoiding it this year- had enough ), the only person to blame for me getting wet is myself.

that maybe true, my experience tho is that 90% of the time its farang, if I leave my room it will be the same 2 or 3 farang that drink at the same bars that will totally drench me (and everyone else that walks or rides past) 8 hours a day every day for 7 days, you can see that nobody is enjoying it except for them with their sadistic temperaments

a couple of days is fine, especially for the kids, but for guys that are the type that try to pick fights with people to be able to this for 7 days is excessive in my view

It's not only motorbikes that are at risk. Last year driving on the highway someone suddenly threw a bucket of water at the car which hit the screen causing me to react instinctively by braking and jerking the steering wheel away from the percieved threat causing the car to very nearly collide with another vehicle that was overtaking me at the time. For a couple of seconds and maybe 50 meters I was effectively blind.

To throw water unexpectidly on fast moving vehicles on a highway is dangerous and irresponsible and IMHO akin to throwing concrete blocks off a bridge onto moving vehicles below.

It's not only motorbikes that are at risk. Last year driving on the highway someone suddenly threw a bucket of water at the car which hit the screen causing me to react instinctively by braking and jerking the steering wheel away from the percieved threat causing the car to very nearly collide with another vehicle that was overtaking me at the time. For a couple of seconds and maybe 50 meters I was effectively blind.

To throw water unexpectidly on fast moving vehicles on a highway is dangerous and irresponsible and IMHO akin to throwing concrete blocks off a bridge onto moving vehicles below.

I have to agree with you 1000%

Unbelievable.

Regards

does the fact that Thais still ride motorcycles along Beach Rd during Songkran tell us something about the Thai psych?

This is nonsense. It's hard to avoid Beach Road if you live or work in Central Pattaya. It has nothing to do with Thai pshych.

Have to agree, this happened to me today as well. In the Surin area on my way to Pattaya. Smaller 2 lane country road, was doing about 80 Km/h. Noticed some Songkhran players on the left side of the road, so I slowed down slightly and moved somewhat over into the right lane to make sure no one would jump out in front of me. There was no oncoming traffic at the time, except for a motorbike driving close to the shoulder and the road was straight. Well the Songkhran players tossed a small bucket of water, most likely mixed with powder, on my windscreen. It was quite a thick mix and I was instantly blinded. Guess it took about 5 seconds before the wipers with lots of added wiper fluid had cleared the windscreen enough for me to see out again. Pretty much coinciding with me meeting the motorbike. I'm glad I didn't jerk the wheel, or that the motorbike hadn't moved out of lane positioning, or there could have been a very serious outcome.

does the fact that Thais still ride motorcycles along Beach Rd during Songkran tell us something about the Thai psych?

This is nonsense. It's hard to avoid Beach Road if you live or work in Central Pattaya. It has nothing to do with Thai pshych.

It's not nonsense. If driving a bike is dangerous, get off and take a baht bus. Not hard. Or would you rather risk being maimed for the rest of your life?

the bars here have the water containers out and two or three farang outside throwing buckets of water into the faces of all the motorcyclists that go past, weird thing is I dont see anyone going into the bars or any drinks being sold and all the tourists I meet that spend money left to get away from it

The farangs throwing water all have bought drinks in the bar of which they are standing outside. In case you hadn't noticed, most of the bars in Pattaya, other than a fortunate few, have few patrons most of the year anyway, due to a massive overbuilding of bars in fun city for the past 10 years or more.

Also, if you were to hang around long enough, throwing water into motorcyclists faces is by no means an exclusive farang sport.

Considering that the same thing has happened for the past 14 years at least, does the fact that Thais still ride motorcycles along Beach Rd during Songkran tell us something about the Thai psych? If I get hit in the head with a bucket of water, I wouldn't go back, unless I wanted to get hit again. If I stay in Pattaya during Songkran ( I'm avoiding it this year- had enough ), the only person to blame for me getting wet is myself.

that maybe true, my experience tho is that 90% of the time its farang, if I leave my room it will be the same 2 or 3 farang that drink at the same bars that will totally drench me (and everyone else that walks or rides past) 8 hours a day every day for 7 days, you can see that nobody is enjoying it except for them with their sadistic temperaments

a couple of days is fine, especially for the kids, but for guys that are the type that try to pick fights with people to be able to this for 7 days is excessive in my view

One night while walking back alone to my hotel up a small soi off second Rd, a fat ( youngish ) farang that I think owns a guest house named after a well known UK sitcom ( from many years ago ), as he's always there, took great delight in soaking me, despite the fact that I obviously was not participating in the mayhem, and there were no other people around other than ourselves. What a d**kh**d.

It's not nonsense. If driving a bike is dangerous, get off and take a baht bus. Not hard. Or would you rather risk being maimed for the rest of your life?

You lost track of the debate and you're being extremely dramatic.

Allow me to guide you through it.

Most of the Thai workers in Pattaya ride motorcycles. Thais do not stop riding their transport because of this water throwing because they need to get around even during Songkran. They need to work and get to work...therefore....

Thais riding motorcycles along Beach Road during Songkran tells us nothing about Thai psych. Riding motorcycles for them is a necessity. It's a one way street and hard to get around when going to certain locations.

Foreigners more than likely have options because they don't work here. They can stay away if they wish.

I personally avoid riding around Pattaya during daytime hours in Pattaya because I don't enjoy being a target. Although I appreciate it can be dangerous, I'm skilled and aware enough on a motorcycle not to be worried about being "maimed for the rest of your life". I just dislike the sensation of being hit with ice water while riding.

I dont see the fun in this, Im watching the farangs opposite my room, theyre determined to completely drench everyone that walks or rides past, but there are no smiles, just a grim determination, the people getting wet do their best to ignore it and the throwers are concentrating on their aim, they just bought 3 big blocks of ice in what I guess is an attempt to get some kind of reaction from the people they are drenching, and they do this 8 hours a day every day

, they just bought 3 big blocks of ice in what I guess is an attempt to get some kind of reaction from the people they are drenching, and they do this 8 hours a day every day

...and if that doesn't get the desired response from their victims they'll try it again late at night.

No, unfortunately it doesn't stop at night. The closer we get to the big days (18th, 19th), the more night time water throwing you'll see. The people who throw water after hours are the sadistic ones who get a kick out of upsetting people (plenty of them in Pattaya). They don't get any fun out of throwing water on already soaked people during the day, so they pick on people at night who really want to stay dry and they prefer to use ice water if it is available. This is their big chance to pick on people without repercussions.

Well said, it's like a license to be a jerk.

I could not have said it better myself for what happened last night.

It is night time, the heat is over, people are now going out for the evening, and idiots abound, who intentionally want to screw up your attire and anything you are carrying.

I thought the rules were sundown ending and no use of the PC guns

It is abundantly transparent to anyone who at the very least has enough healthy neurons to transmit a very basic warning signal to oneself that instead of pointlessly and repetitively complaining about the same old thing year in and year out, the signal would indicate to simply just stay away and get on with something more constructive and less irritating to each and everyone who is subjected to this repetitive and predictable whinge feast on a yearly basis.

It is abundantly transparent to anyone who at the very least has enough healthy neurons to transmit a very basic warning signal to oneself that instead of pointlessly and repetitively complaining about the same old thing year in and year out, the signal would indicate to simply just stay away and get on with something more constructive and less irritating to each and everyone who is subjected to this repetitive and predictable whinge feast on a yearly basis.

(Note: 5 posts and you're complaininig about complaint threads. If you've been reading these threads "on a yearly basis", it begs the question - which bannned member are you?)

If your healthy neurons tell you that these type of threads are insufferable, then why would you bother to read them let alone reply. I suspect your neurons are not as healthy as you think they are.

You lost track of the debate and you're being extremely dramatic.

Allow me to guide you through it.

Most of the Thai workers in Pattaya ride motorcycles. Thais do not stop riding their transport because of this water throwing because they need to get around even during Songkran. They need to work and get to work...therefore....

Thais riding motorcycles along Beach Road during Songkran tells us nothing about Thai psych. Riding motorcycles for them is a necessity. It's a one way street and hard to get around when going to certain locations.

Foreigners more than likely have options because they don't work here. They can stay away if they wish.

I personally avoid riding around Pattaya during daytime hours in Pattaya because I don't enjoy being a target. Although I appreciate it can be dangerous, I'm skilled and aware enough on a motorcycle not to be worried about being "maimed for the rest of your life". I just dislike the sensation of being hit with ice water while riding.

I disagree ( as is my right ).

It is well known that if you ride a bike down Beach Rd during Songkran idiots will throw water in your face, potentially causing an injury accident.

If you don't work ON Beach Rd, there are other ways to get to your work place without using Beach Rd, which are less likely to involve a face full of ice water.

If you do work on Beach Rd, you can leave your bike in one of the many car parks elsewhere and take a baht bus. Believe it or not, Thais use them too!

Complaining after falling off your bike about the idiots throwing water is as pointless as someone who lives in Pattaya complaining about the traffic or the crime.

One of the greatest gifts mankind has blessed us with, regardless of colour, race, religion or creed is the ability to make a decision. To make a decision based on past experience does not take a genius to decide to do what for the best.

It is not the fault of the other man if he that decides to continually and monotonously choose the same path yearly that puts him right back to square one and on overload for a full out, no holds barred, moan marathon then he has no one but only himself to blame.

And for the record, to our right honorable gentleman who wonders why there are very few posts from someone who reads these forums so frequently let me enlighten. Some readers of newspapers do, just that, read the news whereas others may well read the news then fill in the crossword. You see a pattern now?

Lets us pray that next year the same old characters that churn out the predictable yearly bashing of the inconvenience of living somewhere where imbeciles throw water dangerously at passing traffic either try to do something about it more constructively or better still simply vanish for a week and let us all breathe a sigh of joyous relief.

I disagree ( as is my right ).

It is well known that if you ride a bike down Beach Rd during Songkran idiots will throw water in your face, potentially causing an injury accident.

If you don't work ON Beach Rd, there are other ways to get to your work place without using Beach Rd, which are less likely to involve a face full of ice water.

If you do work on Beach Rd, you can leave your bike in one of the many car parks elsewhere and take a baht bus. Believe it or not, Thais use them too!

Complaining after falling off your bike about the idiots throwing water is as pointless as someone who lives in Pattaya complaining about the traffic or the crime.

What are you arguing about? You lost track of the original debate and you're going off on a tangent.

Thais don't leave their bikes at home during Songkran and use them to get around. 2nd Road is just as bad as Beach Road during Songkran, so good luck getting to anywhere in that area without getting wet using so called alternative routes. Furthermore, you'll probably get wetter if you take a baht bus so there's no point as you can always get around faster on a motorcycle. The baht bus option maybe safer, but it's not a better option.

Lastly, the Thais who get around on motorcycles in Pattaya are young and foolish and don't understand danger. They don't consider water throwing to be dangerous at all...until it's too late.

One of the greatest gifts mankind has blessed us with, regardless of colour, race, religion or creed is the ability to make a decision. To make a decision based on past experience does not take a genius to decide to do what for the best.

It is not the fault of the other man if he that decides to continually and monotonously choose the same path yearly that puts him right back to square one and on overload for a full out, no holds barred, moan marathon then he has no one but only himself to blame.

And for the record, to our right honorable gentleman who wonders why there are very few posts from someone who reads these forums so frequently let me enlighten. Some readers of newspapers do, just that, read the news whereas others may well read the news then fill in the crossword. You see a pattern now?

Lets us pray that next year the same old characters that churn out the predictable yearly bashing of the inconvenience of living somewhere where imbeciles throw water dangerously at passing traffic either try to do something about it more constructively or better still simply vanish for a week and let us all breathe a sigh of joyous relief.

Your neurons are not doing a good job. Allow me to guide them for you.

All the posts in this forum are clearly marked. This one is titled: "WATER THROWING HAS ALREADY STARTED" - (captilized just in case your eyesight is also challenged).

Now to people who have well functioning neurons, it's pretty obvious that this is another thread about Songkran and if they don't like reading complaints about Songkran they would not click on the thread.

Why don't you take a lesson from me. I only click on about 10% of the threads in the Pattaya Forum. I only click on ones I'm interested in or concern me. I post in even less. For example I wouldn't click on "where can I buy Marmite" because I don't eat Marmite. Get the idea?

Just to make it even easier, you can avoid any threads titled with words such as "water", "Songkran"and "throwing".

Try that and you may well be able to give your malfunctioning neurons a well deserved break.

This is all just a polite way of saying........ take a hike.

I really hate the complainers who complain about people who complain. They continually complain about the complainers instead of just ignoring the complaints. You'd think they would just move on instead of complaining, but no, they just complain, complain, complain.

It's really my only complaint.

Well my complaint is that if the complainers don't stop complaining about the complaints I am going to have to get my feet off my desk and get my fingers near the key board and start writing some complaints to the complainers, so, so's I can keep my feet on my desk in my comfy position can we stop complaining about the complaints please and get back to the real meat of the topic which is er... I guess complaints about water throwing.

I don't like the water throwing.

Point 1: It's too long--a day or two would be fine.

Point 2: I live and work here, so fleeing is not a viable option, and even if it were, why should I have to flee my home?

Point 3: The water throwing is often used by people with sadistic and anti-social tendencies as a license to be jerks and worse.

signed jimmyd, your on-topic poster

Edited by Jimmyd