Moto Gp

Just watched this years opening race at Qatar.

What a race, Stoner seemed to be on his way to pull out a lead after a less than perfect start from pole postion.

Being the fastest rider out there, he then went back to his old ways and threw it away by pushing too hard...it would seem.

A great race which saw some epic battles take place down the order.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/race+report/15...oner_falls.html

So the Doctor won on the bike with the slowest straight line top speed !!

This alone speaks for itself.

A really exciting race despite being on at 4 am here.

Two weeks and its Japan......can't wait!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in the same boat as Donnyboy, not that knowledgeable about Moto GP.

Just caught up with the Qatar race on the i-player yesterday, great race exciting to the last lap.

How come the six Moto GP rookies all came from the 250's last season, I would have thought the natural progression would be to super-bikes then Moto GP if successfull there ??

Roll on Japan next week, looks like an open season again.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

How come the six Moto GP rookies all came from the 250's last season, I would have thought the natural progression would be to super-bikes then Moto GP if successfull there ??

Well the 250s visit the same tracks every year for a start, and traditionally the 125s and 250s have been the lead in or best school to the top class, it used to be about maintaining corner speed on the 2 stroke machines, particularly when the top class was 500cc 2 strokes. However the 4 stroke MotoGP came along, but it still seems the riders coming up from 250 are best suited, although the transition from Superbike can be done (Hayden won a world championship 4 or 5 years ago transitioning from American Superbikes, and Wayne Gardner and Mick Doohan were more well known as Superbike riders before winning MotoGP) . The 250 guys probably get a better grounding in setting up the bike and using the technology as well and a lot of them speak Italian, Spanish or Japanese which can probably be an advantage in the pits and at contract time as well. The Superbikes, based on a production motorcycle are more well known for "stop and squirt" style riding, with generally lower cornering speed, however the differences are I think less obvious these days.

Bluetongue 'wrote'

Well the 250s visit the same tracks every year for a start, and traditionally the 125s and 250s have been the lead in or best school to the top class, it used to be about maintaining corner speed on the 2 stroke machines, particularly when the top class was 500cc 2 strokes. However the 4 stroke MotoGP came along, but it still seems the riders coming up from 250 are best suited, although the transition from Superbike can be done (Hayden won a world championship 4 or 5 years ago transitioning from American Superbikes, and Wayne Gardner and Mick Doohan were more well known as Superbike riders before winning MotoGP) . The 250 guys probably get a better grounding in setting up the bike and using the technology as well and a lot of them speak Italian, Spanish or Japanese which can probably be an advantage in the pits and at contract time as well. The Superbikes, based on a production motorcycle are more well known for "stop and squirt" style riding, with generally lower cornering speed, however the differences are I think less obvious these days.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Bluetongue.

Missed the Japanese round today due to work, hopefully catch it on the i-player later on in the week.

Thanks again.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

Unless you count Spies Moto GP Rookie and current World Superbike Champion who finished 5th in Qatar... the highest placed rookie. :)

In fact Spies was quickest on the track for about a third of the race but only by tenths of a second, on the same (slow) bike as Rossi, actually a satellite version so not the same spec and with no data (he had to set it up himself), had it not been for a very near high-side in qualifying on his last soft Bridgestone (qualifying tire) Spies could well have been front row and away with Rossi et al. That could have been interesting as he has been in the top four all through winter testing and certainly has the pace to live with the doctor... and possibly the strength of character to deal with the mind games also.

WSB was quite excellent today with 3 brits on the rostrum in both races. nice to see Toseland sorting his head out and Haslam and Rea could be making the moto GP grid in the not too distant future, best crop of riders we have had for years!

The WSB races from Assen were live on StarSports......( I hope that they plan to show the entire series in this way , rather than the two races condensed into a 30 min summary, a week after the races have taken place).

The racing was really good and it was something to behold to have all 6 podiums ,for the two races, occupied by British riders. If your a Brit that is :).

Really elbow to elbow bashing stuff, the way the bikes were shaking and being thrown about proved that the bikes and riders were on the limit. Brilliant to watch!

I was happy to see Toseland do well also , he is from the next village to where I,m from in Yorkshire.

Back to Moto GP.

Ben Spies will certainly be a rider to watch this year, he entered WSB as a rookie a year ago and became world champion at his first attempt, this speaks loads about his talent.

The performance he gave at Qatar demonstrates that he will be giving the Doctor / Lorenzo / Stoner / Hayden / Andrea (great name for a bloke), a run for their money.

I was going to enter Pedrosa into the above group........ok Pedrosa also.

I do remember Toselands first race last year at Qatar and that was also impressive, but he kind of lost his way as the season went on.

Hope it don't happen to Spies.

MotoGp moves to Europe, next round in Jerez end of this week. Can't wait.

Cheers!!!

Unfortunately for the Brits I think Toseland became one of those who couldn't quite make the jump to MotoGP even though his machine wasn't the full factory effort, he still couldn't beat Colin Edwards the proverbial also ran in MotoGP. He was possibly a bit lucky when he won the World Supers the first time, I seem to remember Regis Laconi shoulda/coulda/woulda won it except for a touch more bad luck than usual. Having said that I think James time in MotoGP will probably serve him in good stead this year. His main competitor might be Biaggi and the other Brits as it seems like the Ducatis may be having an off year. The Brits showings are no surprise really given the strength of the BSB for years now it was bound to pay big dividends sooner or later. Don't forget Leon H and Shaky have both done MotoGP as well. I seem to also remember the Yamaha up and comers series where they were all nurtured by Rob Mcelnea, half these current names were in that weren't they. Australia doesn't lend itself to that sort of series, both in good tracks and money, we just have to rely on more kids with dirt bikes coming up sooner or later, and a few mums and dads dipping into their pockets.

Lamentably the Australian story has gone the opposite way to the Brits this year, apart from Stoner of course, and Corser will try but everyone else is not shaping up.

Ben Spies asTatt2dude points out has the strength of character, more so than perhaps Hayden who was also arguably lucky winning his MotoGP title. Anyway Spies has been racing for years (and finally winning) against Matt Mladin a really tough intelligent customer, who curiously also failed in his attempts at the world stage.

I enjoy both classes I gather from the chat that both series are available here, being a relative newbie and upcountry I still haven't got my tele sorted, as I'm not moving into my permanent accomodation for another month. Can anyone advise.

Good luck with the tele mate.

TrueVision is the provider for the MotoGP ( ESPN StarSports). I,m sure that someone will have an alternative way round it.

I,m back in Singapore now and never did get a tele contract sorted out in Thailand, so watched most of last years races in bars.

BSB has been strong and now that there are how many Brits, 6 or 7 , moved up to WSB and come back from MotoGP. Can't say I remember Leon Haslam running in MotoGP though. His Dad Rocket Ron has done may GP,s and did well. Anyone remember the ELF Honda RS500?

I agree JT could'nt cut with the best , which is a shame as it all went pear shaped last year.

Anyway , who am I to judge these guys?

They could run rings around me without trying.

I am quite impressed about the comitment that the Stoners have gone through to get young Casey where he is today, would'nt you agree?

Sell the house and move countries to concentrate on yer boys racing is pretty cool I think. Not sure my wife would agree though.

Edited by soihok

Toseland made the mistake of crossing Colin Edwards at the start of 09, after a pretty good season for a rookie in 08, he decided he wanted Colin Edwards crew chief, this pissed Colin off and James lost the mind games badly, hence 2010. He won two World Superbike titles and neither were lucky, he is an extremely talented and clever rider.

Ive been pretty lucky. I was at New Era Club meetings in 1999/2000 when the Stoners bought Casey over and shoved him in the 125's with dispensation to race at 14, very very special indeed. But a little bit prone to spitting the dummy. The BSB support race in 03 was the first year of the virgin mobile cup which is the series you are talking about, great series and they were reason pit bikes were banned in the bsb paddock in 03.

Haslam did some 125 GP's not moto gp which is where the confusion is coming from, he has raced on the world stage before.

The Brits to watch: Toseland will go from strength to strength and for now the Yamaha is not treating tires well, once thats sorted Cal Crutchlow will also be on the pace. Leon Haslam has really clicked with that Suzuki and is one of my tips to win it, the pick of the bunch for me is Leon Camier lovely lad and once he stops binning it (he goes though these fazes) he will be a regular race winner, Johnny Rea is quality but sometimes a tadge too aggresive, Tom Sykes should not have gone to Kawasaki he can mix it with the top Brits but the ZX10 looks like a lemon, Shakey is past his sell by date lightening quick but fitness will show in the last third of a race. I tip either Haslam or Rea with advantage Haslam.

Moto GP: I hope Spies delivers or it could look like another Rossi year.... Pedrosa has been criticized for not battling with rossi, showed his new determination in the first few laps then got bagged and dropped back to ? no change there. Stoner doesnt want to get into a Laguna situation with Rossi again so will continue to run from the front, but if he doesnt deal with the pressure we will see repeats of Qatar followed by dummy spitting, Lorenzo will give Rossi grief but he is quite mad and will either win or bin it, not consistent enough but entertaining! Dovi?? Could be a dark horse, Hayden has something to prove, he deserved his World Championship he had the most points I would like to see him challenge. I think it will be another Rossi year with Stoner, Lorenzo, Spies and Hayden knocking on the door...

But...

I could be wrong :)

I am back in UK so watching Moto GP, WSB and BSB w.end in w.end out.... will be popping up to Oulton Park at the weekend... :D

he wanted Colin Edwards crew chief, this pissed Colin off

Moto GP: I hope Spies delivers or it could look like another Rossi year.... Pedrosa has been criticized for not battling with rossi, showed his new determination in the first few laps then got bagged and dropped back to ? no change there. Stoner doesnt want to get into a Laguna situation with Rossi again so will continue to run from the front, but if he doesnt deal with the pressure we will see repeats of Qatar followed by dummy spitting, Lorenzo will give Rossi grief but he is quite mad and will either win or bin it, not consistent enough but entertaining! Dovi?? Could be a dark horse, Hayden has something to prove, he deserved his World Championship he had the most points I would like to see him challenge. I think it will be another Rossi year with Stoner, Lorenzo, Spies and Hayden knocking on the door...

Hi guys.

I think Lorenzo did quite well to finish where he did. Some consistency from him could just be the thing to keep the Doctor on his toes.

Pedrosa has been disappointing.

Tatt2dude wrote

"Haslam did some 125 GP's not moto gp which is where the confusion is coming from, he has raced on the world stage before. "

Well I did write that comment off the cuff, technically I dont think it was MotoGP, but it was definitely the top drawer. 2001 leon Haslam rode a 500, pretty sure it was a twin and not competitive but the point I was making is, he's been there even if he was 18. I seem to remember he was pretty miuch always behind Anthony West who was on an also uncompetitive 500 triple, also pictures of Rocket Ron in the pits and on the grid come to mind.

Agree with you that Rossi is the pea again this year. Stoner can beat him but the cards would have to fall his way a bit. Lorenzo I feel is the rider Rossi has picked out who will not beat him aka Gibernau, Pedrosa lacks the spark I reckon, Ben Spies who is to say what he can do, Dovi will be around and thats about it. My reference to Hayden being a tad lucky wasn't meant to infer he didn't deserve his title or James for that matter, heck they deserve whatever they can get doing what they do. However watching it week in and week out led me to believe that others were better, just didn't get the points. If it was Rossi saying it you'd say sour grapes but as a "fairly" independent observer thats what I thought. James got his second WSB title clear as mud.

I would sell the farm if I had a Casey to run around Europe with, I told the wife she can cook and she agreed.

I'm a bit hazy but think Rocket Ron came to Australia in the 80s with a fancy bike and rode in the Swann series which at the time was our only exposure to international riders, it probably was the ELF Honda. I'm going to check though as I could be confusing him with someone else

Having watched Saturadys timed practice at Jerez, live on Star sports, its confirmed that we are in for a treat of a great race today.

Pedosa is on pole and he remarked that this surprised him as his bike was all over the place. Which it was ,shaking its head and bucking around, right on the limit.

Lorenzo and Stoner on the front row.

Hats off to Nicky Hayden who took fifth after falling off his bike at 130mph earlier in the day.......I don't think I'ld be in as good shape if I fell off at 130mph!!!

Rossi is fourth.

I feel Lorenzo will take the win, if he can stay on board.

But as we know the races are difficult to predict, it will be a great race though.........thats gauranteed.

It was a great charge by Lorenzo wasn't it?

I thought that they were both going to end up in the gravel on that last lap.

Fot the most part the race became a bit of a procession but once Lorenzo went for it and took Rossi, it was a real nail biter for the last 6-7 laps.

How mental was the Moto2 race?

Real head banging stuff.

It was also nice to see Hayden come in ahead of Casey Stoner for a change, but Casey will be on it at some point without date.

Cheers !!!

Just seen the play back of Lorenzo jumping into the lake, totally over the moon with the win.

Brilliant!!!!

( Stoner will be on it at some point without doubt. Sorry I was all in anticipation of seeing Sheff Wed relegated,,,,,,,,and it was great)

Edited by soihok

Tatt2dude wrote

"Haslam did some 125 GP's not moto gp which is where the confusion is coming from, he has raced on the world stage before. "

Well I did write that comment off the cuff, technically I dont think it was MotoGP, but it was definitely the top drawer. 2001 leon Haslam rode a 500, pretty sure it was a twin and not competitive but the point I was making is, he's been there even if he was 18. I seem to remember he was pretty miuch always behind Anthony West who was on an also uncompetitive 500 triple, also pictures of Rocket Ron in the pits and on the grid come to mind.

I stand corrected... the shell advance effort it was a v4 and possibly not the best career move... certainly not memorable.

Not the most exciting race with the exception of the last lap. Rossi did well considering the injury as it is a really painful experience and described in some circles as worse than a break, a proper high side injury.

Nice to see Hayden bag a load of points and beat Stoner.

Again did not get to see what Spies is capable of, faulty front tire?

Did anyone else notice the collapsed shock in the 125's? The commentators didn't for over 10 laps, how much are they paid? :)

The 125 rider was just behind the leading group when his rear shock went, then he started dropping back. Must have been frustrating riding around like that in the hope of gaining points.

I still can't get over the Moto2 race, completely mad.

Next race is May 23 in France........and I'll be back in Thailand to watch it :)

Cheers!!

The Rossi interview!!

Valentino, could you have passed Pedrosa in the last few laps?

For sure, i could pass redposa, but my shoulda is hurting, so im happy with podium,

When Jorge came past you, what was in your mind then?

I was happy he came past me, i am thinking, ah, 2 hot blooded spaniards, home GP, they will end in the gravel, so i waits my time for no1 place,,butta ok, no lollipop Lorenzo win de race and then he jump in der water, this water isa da main drain from Grandstand toilets,anda on der podium he smell like rotten durian fruit for sure!!

Hope you are 100% for france vale,

Moto2, was it really fuel that came out of that bike and brought off 9 or so others? i dont think so, after all the sparks created, there was no sign of a fire atall, high octane fuel evaporates almost imediatly on contact with a warm porours surface and tends to lift the tarmac if it pentertrates,it was a cracking race though, and a worthy replacement of the 250cc class,

125 was, as usual a good race,

Im sure we will be in for another great season,but i think WSB live was a 1 off, because of the ash thing, There is no postings for WSB in this months UBC/Truevisions mag, only 30 min highlights, but im keeping my fingers crossed, Assen was brilliant, well, for us Brits anyway!!

The Rossi interview......funny :)

It looks as if you are correct regarding the sacrifice of 2 great WSB races live from Italy for us to be bored to death by F1 again.

Thats the way it goes unfortunately.

But hang on, the races are to be shown at 9.30 a,m, on Monday morning ( Singapore)........great timing and I,m sure everyone will take the morning off work to watch........could record them I suppose but by then I will know the race results.

It looks like us bike racing fans can't have our cake and eat it as usual.

Edited by soihok

t looks as if you are correct regarding the sacrifice of 2 great WSB races live from Italy for us to be bored to death by F1 again.

WSBK right here in my back yard 14-16 May 2010. :D :D

If Haga doesn't come to the party I gotta find someone else to support :)

It looks as if you are correct regarding the sacrifice of 2 great WSB races live from Italy for us to be bored to death by F1 again.

I fell asleep watching the F1, missing the WSBK races which would have provided edge of the seat entertainment.

Get ready for more boredom as its F1 from Monte Carlo next........ :) as the WSBK races from South Africa will be repeated middle of the day in the following week. :D

I fell asleep watching the F1, missing the WSBK races which would have provided edge of the seat entertainment.

Get ready for more boredom as its F1 from Monte Carlo next........ :) as the WSBK races from South Africa will be repeated middle of the day in the following week. :D

missed it as well :D my dstv playing up, i suspect im not the only one as theyre pulling the signal soon

Just flicked through the listings for Sunday on UBC, seems like its going to be live WSB from Kyalami, SA at 16.45 till 18.00, and race 2 a bit later, about 19.45 i think? channel 106 or 107, star or espn?

Friday nights and Leo beer!!!!!!!! sorry, but keep an eye out on either,,

No mention of Moto GP from France, perhaps they have dropped it in favour of WSB?

Or we could watch Shumacher at Monaco, where a few years ago he got the fatest lap then parks his car at a difficult slow corner so nobody could beat him,, what a champion he was????

Hey Lickey.

I would certainly tune into the Kyalami races for some exciting racing, if I wanted to get my kids to sleep I would tune to the Monaco F1.

Unfortunately I will miss both as I,ll be travelling.

I would think that the French MotoGP will be shown , all three races. Going on the last Moto2 race it will be worth watching....can't wait.

Will be in Pattaya for the races. :)

Edited by soihok

Whoops sorry folks, i got the dates all wrong, bloody commentators saying that the French Moto GP would be in 2 weeks time, in fact, its 3 weeks May 23, and should be live on ESPN,

Meanwhile, Crutchlow and toseland are heading the grid, and Laverty in WSS, on today,,,