How Long Have You Been In Thailand

Tornado

I have been coming to Thailand since May 1993, lived here from 94 to 97, out of country working 98 to 2001. Lived here since but now working away but I come back every couple of months. Second high point was marrying my Thai wife, real high was our son born 10 months ago. Low point was when I lost my job and didn't work for a year and I went a bit stupid for a while. Another low was when I went to the UK for a court date and forgot to get a re entry permit. Now that was a real pain in the a***. Life plans are to work for a while longer, quit working and watch and help my son grow up, try to learn Thai properly. Eventually when I die to live in the spirit house and watch over my family.

Thailand. Love it and wouldn't live anywhere else.

Sign me as fat and very happy at home at last. :o:D:D:D

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Points: Running A Beach Resort, Discovering my copious tolerance for alcohol, falling in Love with a TG.

Low Points: Losing the Beach Resort, Discovering my copious tolerance has limits, Falling in Love with a TG:

That's funny :o

Lived in phuket for a year, got tsunamied, bit by rabid cat, got 5 shots at hospital to beat rabies, killed rabid cat with a board and a couple dogs, tore legaments jumping off top flight of Dragon Disco stairs, falling down some cement stairs at my room, throwing full bottles of beer chang out my old 4th story window after mistakenly mixing 4 valiums and a 26 of sang som, drinking behind the bar and kicking people out of crocodile, tiger and dragon, almost dying at karon beach at 3 am after swimming and drinking, drinking all of the Lim's (nice place!!) Remy Martin cognac while at the bar when i had a free bill, getting banned from the Vises hotel (shithole), saving my best friend after he got jumped by 15 thais, paying 3000 bahts a month rent, having open bars, hanging out at the pharmacy, gotta go back soon..

Lived in phuket for a year, got tsunamied, bit by rabid cat, got 5 shots at hospital to beat rabies, killed rabid cat with a board and a couple dogs, tore legaments jumping off top flight of Dragon Disco stairs, falling down some cement stairs at my room, throwing full bottles of beer chang out my old 4th story window after mistakenly mixing 4 valiums and a 26 of sang som, drinking behind the bar and kicking people out of crocodile, tiger and dragon, almost dying at karon beach at 3 am after swimming and drinking, drinking all of the Lim's (nice place!!) Remy Martin cognac while at the bar when i had a free bill, getting banned from the Vises hotel (shithole), saving my best friend after he got jumped by 15 thais, paying 3000 bahts a month rent, having open bars, hanging out at the pharmacy, gotta go back soon..

Probably best if you didn't go back at all... stay where you are.. :D

totster :o

8 years.....  :D  been through - sars, bird flu, tsunami, motor bike accidents, crippled for 6 months, 9 wives (not really it was more like 10  :D )... It has been great!  :o

8 years also (+ 10 years regular part time) 4 wives really, 3 katoys (couldn't swear to that) 1 horrendous motorcycle accident, 3 months being rebuilt. Lost a 6 bed mansion in Jomtien, a resort in Petchabun, two 4*4 trucks and more motor cycles than I can shake a stick at. My current wife (24 Years old) is now pregnant with my first child; I will be 48 when the kid is born. I’m getting fat and loving it here.

i am real.. i learned a ton about life, about how the Kingdom of Thailand works, a ton about how middle - to older aged men who come to the Kingdom work, and a lot about my self.

Wanna start a new thread and tell us how Thailand works, and how the guys that come here work, and of course, how you work? :o

Wanna start a new thread and tell us how Thailand works, and how the guys that come here work, and of course, how you work? :D

i work a lot, 10 hours a day :o

When referring to how middle- to -older aged men work i was thinking more towards the (admittedely this is a stereotype but in a lot of cases its true) way a lot of older people come over and meet their "wives" etc at the whore bar kinda thing, and buy them out of their somewhat seedy profession, and then settle down.. everyones different and everything but its just ive seen this happen a ton and the way some of these girls work some of these guys is amazing. Anyways people seem to be a bit testy so, take it easy.

Wanna start a new thread and tell us how Thailand works, and how the guys that come here work, and of course, how you work? :D

When referring to how middle- to -older aged men work i was thinking more towards the (admittedely this is a stereotype but in a lot of cases its true) way a lot of older people come over and meet their "wives" etc at the whore bar kinda thing, and buy them out of their somewhat seedy profession, and then settle down.. everyones different and everything but its just ive seen this happen a ton and the way some of these girls work some of these guys is amazing. Anyways people seem to be a bit testy so, take it easy.

Well...I'm glad you cleared that up. You're actually 100% correct. No stereotyping at all and with that..let me give you a quote.

Young men think old men are fools, but old men know young men are fools.

George Chapman 1605

I think what you are trying to say is that sad old dried up men come over here to pick up nice fresh you girls from Bars? Is there a problem with that??

There is no problem meeting your partner in a bar, as long as you make sure you both are happy and getting what you want, as long as you use a little common sense and do not run into it TOO blindly. Obviously there are dangers in hitching up with a bar girl, especially if they have been working for a few months. Then the dangers will increase as they have learned the ropes from the old die hard whores. Yes you are right that some old men come over here to find wife’s who are generally younger, but the bars are also frequented by younger men, but not quite so many. Why is that? More of a conscience or just that they do not have quite as much money as the older bar stool companion?

Try going into the Marine Bar in Walking Street Pattaya, plenty of acne clad youths dribbling at the local totty there.

I’m not being defensive; really I’m not that old. I just want you to look at yourself and your own behavior.

Been here for 5 years, 2 months

Need I say more; I mean I would have left a long time ago if I really did not like it!

I really like Thailand the way it is; needless to say hat it could use some improvement.

The booze, the women, the climate; I love it!

Have to work same as everywhere but here it just seems a little 'lighter' not that stressy feeling I was used to in EU. And here we are still (re)building the economy which is always nicer to do.

I appreciate Thailand for what is has given/will give to me!

i am real.. i learned a ton about life, about how the Kingdom of Thailand works, a ton about how middle - to older aged men who come to the Kingdom work, and a lot about my self.

I would Love to figure out how the Kingdom of Thailand works... :o

Arrived on December 7, 1965 as a 19 year old Air Force member. Got married to my TW in 1975 (30th anniversary coming up in December).

Suffered through hepatitus, dengue fever and malaria (not all at the same time).

Still working in Bangkok until retirement to Chiang Mai in a few years. Tried retirement last year but got so bored I had to come back.

First visit to Pattaya there was one restaurant (Barbo's) and one bar (the Mosquito). Stayed in a private home rented by the US Military. Room rate 20 Baht/night.

Will never leave.

That will take time grashopper, you will have to actually live here first :D:D

That will take time grashopper, you will have to actually live here first :D:D

"grashopper,"sic... :D

Measurement of years or months hopefully isn't an attempt to explore expertise or seniority..cause I don't know how many expats and others stranded here for 10 plus years who still can't hold a real conversation in Thai, let alone spell something other than their own name...then again, I've met others who have only been here for months and are well advanced beyond the basics of flirting with bargirls and shopping ตลาดบ้านนอก

Back to the question...I am just passing the three year mark now, though my deceased X chromosone halve is a native of this country and her XY chromosones and theirs for generations before that are also ชาวปากน้ำโพธ์.