Taxi Drivers In Bangkok

xerostar

I have spent 4 weeks in Bangkok since April.

The "smiling Thai" description does NOT apply to Taxi drivers.

Speaking in general terms I found most taxi drivers were unsmiling and grumpy.

Perhaps this is true of taxi drivers anywhere?

One bad experience - after me and the GF had got into the back of the taxi and told him our destination - which was about a 40 Baht distance, the driver turned around, pointed at me, arm outstretched and said loudly "You - 100 Baht!". We made a hasty exit.

Another night my GF and I plus 2 friends stopped a taxi. My GF and 2 friends were getting in the back, while I opted to take the front passenger seat.

I noticed the driver was talking on his mobile. As I closed my door, he started to drive off. I had not seen that my GF was still getting in the back and as the taxi started to move off she recieved a blow to the shoulder from the left rear door and luckily did not have her foot run over.

My friends in the back yelled STOP! The driver thought it was a great joke and continued to chuckle to everyone in Thai about how funny the situation was. My GF was not happy at all but failed to voice her anger. No wonder its illegal to use mobile phones while driving in Oz. I was angry too but in what could I do?

Another time we had just dropped off the girls who were going shopping for clothes. Me and my mate wanted to go to Phantip Plaza to look at computer gear.

We told the taxi driver where we wanted to go as he drove off. He suddenly stopped and said he didn't want to go to Pahntip because the traffice was too heavy (about 4.30pm). So we started getting out and he looked at me wild eyed and yelled "60 Baht!" - I was shocked. I said "we've only driven 30 yards mate!" but he was insistant and looked even more threatening. I was disgusted. I quickly weighed up the situation as to whether it was worth walking away or not. I have seen taxi drivers go to their boot and get out a machete. So I took 60 Baht and threw it on the passenger seat. In hindsight it was not a lot of money, just the mean tempered way in which it was demanded.

Some drivers speed to the degree that one has genuine fears. In the back with no seat belts you feel quite vulnerable. Most drivers display uncanny skill in getting through the traffic by weaving and lane changing. At low speed its not bad but when they do it at high speed, I start to worry.

I often tried striking up a conversation with a few Thai words, but I was usually met with an icy silence.

Another time my GF asked the driver politely about where to find an office to get a Thai passport. The driver started loudly lecturing her on all the requirements and rudely suggesting she was in error thinking it was that easy. Shheesh!

On the rare occasion we got a friendly and safe Taxi driver, I complimented them and gave a generous tip.

If Thailand wants to improve their image as a friendly tourist destination they should train their taxi drivers to be more courteous to foreigners and have an easy way to complain about bad service to weed out the trouble makers.

I have spent 4 weeks in Bangkok since April.

The "smiling Thai" description does NOT apply to Taxi drivers.

Speaking in general terms I found most taxi drivers were unsmiling and grumpy.

Perhaps this is true of taxi drivers anywhere?

Yes. If we are generalizing, taxi drivers are not a happy lot. I worked as a cab driver in a major city for awhile many years ago. It's a very stressful job. I tried being smiling and friendly, but after about 3 months a kind of numbness set in and I found I could be polite but not friendly all the time.

Part of the stress comes from only taking home what you earn, minus expenses, and only having 10 hours to do it. Suppose a Thai driver has to rent the car for 500 baht and averages 500 baht a shift for gas. That means all those 35 and 40 baht fares have to add up to 1,000 baht just to break even. So it's possible to actually go home with nothing or less than you started with. This is one reason cabbies tend to drive fast. The more ground you cover in that 10-hour shift, the more money you take home.

Once you can speak Thai, everything changes and some taxi drivers will be chatty or even fire questions at you as if you were their own personal dictionary and encyclopedia. Also, the rip-offs stop. They use the meter, or if they don't want to use it or don't want to take you through thick traffic, they just give some lame excuse like they're taking the cab back to the garage.

Are Bangkok cabbies good? I don't think they're that bad compared to what we had before the metered cabs or compared to some other countries. But they aren't that good either. None of them use maps or would know how to use one, and it's common for them to expect the passenger to know exactly where the destination is and how to get there. They talk on mobiles to their girlfriends while driving and never stop the meter when they stop for a piss or to fill up the tank. But, as I say, it's a hard life and most of these guys have moved to the big city from Isarn to find work.

I reckon the best cabbies in the world are in Japan. These guys all seem to be over 60 and just doing it for pleasure. They know how to read maps and find places and will go to any lengths to do so, including stopping the meter while they check the map or talk to their operator on the radio. They are generally polite, unhurried and chatty if you speak Japanese. Also, they don't mind waiting for half an hour if you go to some remote place and have no other way to get back. Many of them have TVs on the dashboard so they don't get bored waiting. And they NEVER cheat you.

I have never had a problem. I've heard of some incidents of mild hostility towards westerners with their BG women in tow but never anything major bar the very rare cases of robbery.

If you speak even a little Thai it can make the trip a lot more pleasant.

I can put my hand on heart and say I've never had one bit of hassle from a BKK taxi driver apart from when they don't use their meters. All I do then is hop out and get another one and more often than not when I shape to get out of the cab they slap on the meter anyway.

I think the Taxi drivers are crap - half the time they dont want to take you where you want cos bad timing or they cant be bothered etc, half want to drive up and down Sukhumvit carrying 40 baht fares all day long :o

You should not have given the driver anything who drove off then refused to go to pahthip, but why 60 baht if the meter was showing 35? Can't say I have had many problems in 11 years, only twice 'meter not working' nonsense. The only bad taxi drivers are the ones with no radio or tape players. Next time try asking- mee pleng luktung? and see how the trip goes.-peter

Edited by thai3

No problems at all. A few drivers have tried the old no meter trick but never suceeded.

They generally attempt to talk when they realise i can speak a little thai and have never tried to do a round about route.

They don't bat an eyelid when we are eating whatever food we want in the back, or my son is shouting in their ears and they've handed out many a plastic bag when my wife was suffering from morning sickness.

You wouldn't see many taxi drivers in the UK putting up with this.

Stange, i like so many of the other posters on here have never had a problem with the taxis in Bangkok. One of my friends is a taxi driver in Bangkok, and he is a great bloke. Always happy and having a joke never expects a tip comes out for food with me and the wife. We ring him up at all hours always there to pick us up. My sister came over last year with me and the wife and didnt want to take the bus to the wifes family so we got our taxi friend to drive us there he then stayed with us for four days then drove us back total cost for this 2000 baht plus food and drink, pretty bloody cheap in my opinion for that sort of service.

I have found that if you try and make conversation with them they are generally ok i even say they are good fun, trying their English on you while you try your Thai on them.

Its funny i have only ever had a problem when i have been with one of my English friends who is always impatient and grumpy himself :o . But i have never had a problem maybe because i am always happy and have a smile for the driver. :D:D:D

Yes. If we are generalizing, taxi drivers are not a happy lot.

I love taxi drivers, 99% of the ones I have met have been very chatty and I always sit in the front passenger seat if I am on my own.

I'm not always in the mood to chat but most of the taxi drivers have been really helpful, friendly and nice - though I have met a few that are thick as sh*t and don't know seem to know what they are doing on planet Earth.

I reckon the best cabbies in the world are in Japan. These guys all seem to be over 60 and just doing it for pleasure. They know how to read maps and find places and will go to any lengths to do so, including stopping the meter while they check the map or talk to their operator on the radio. They are generally polite, unhurried and chatty if you speak Japanese. Also, they don't mind waiting for half an hour if you go to some remote place and have no other way to get back. Many of them have TVs on the dashboard so they don't get bored waiting. And they NEVER cheat you.
'Never cheat you' - hmm ... and what a bargain starting at 20000 yen (7500 Baht+) from Narita airport to central tokyo. A pleasure indeed. :o
Some drivers speed to the degree that one has genuine fears

If you ever want a Bkk cabbie to slow down you could try saying this :D :

"Phee, Krap cha cha noy krap"

(The first krap is pronounced with a low tone and the last krap with a higher one)

& agree totally with the other posters re speaking even just a little thai makes a world of a difference in attitude. :D

I also have never had any problems with Taxi Drivers, they have a tough thankless job and since the skytrain and Subway, pretty hard to make a living.

I agree with many of the other posters, when you can speak a little Thai, things change, not only in a taxi.

And lets face it, would you want to be stuck in Bkk traffic all day, ferrying around miserable moaning farangs?

That's enough to make anyone vacant. :o

Next time try asking- mee pleng luktung? and see how the trip goes.-peter

Great tip Pete.

I'd say being able to speak a bit of Lao, gets rid of all the negative attitudes.

Most of the drivers are tired and homesick, and this cheers them up.