Advice Needed

cdmtdm

I seriously considered the Speed Triple ( if that's the 1050) but seeing some of the horrendous warranty claims, oil burning issues and poor quality finish complaints I decided against it and bought an FZ-1 instead. Price was also a lot more. I would be interested to know any first hand experiences with the Tiger as it looks good on the spec sheet. Have you had any problem? What are the dealers like? Where are the new bike prices in Baht on that website and where is the Rocket 111? Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but thought the OP might also be thinking the same things.

excellent work Tubber you beat me too it ...cheers

The early 1050 engines had a lot of problems. Engine would practically grenade itself. The oil burning issues was due to excessive worn rings. Caused mostly when engine is cold.

However Triumph seem to have gotten better lately.

My engine done 25,000kms in the first year. Mine is ridden hard, most of the time. To date, no oil issues. (yet)

Problems? Only one. A tooth broke of the hub starter gear. This was spotted during a routine service.

As for prices, ask Triumph. Contact details are there.

Dealer I dealt with are good. No problems so far.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously considered the Speed Triple ( if that's the 1050) but seeing some of the horrendous warranty claims, oil burning issues and poor quality finish complaints I decided against it and bought an FZ-1 instead. Price was also a lot more. I would be interested to know any first hand experiences with the Tiger as it looks good on the spec sheet. Have you had any problem? What are the dealers like? Where are the new bike prices in Baht on that website and where is the Rocket 111? Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but thought the OP might also be thinking the same things.

excellent work Tubber you beat me too it ...cheers

The early 1050 engines had a lot of problems. Engine would practically grenade itself. The oil burning issues was due to excessive worn rings. Caused mostly when engine is cold.

However Triumph seem to have gotten better lately.

My engine done 25,000kms in the first year. Mine is ridden hard, most of the time. To date, no oil issues. (yet)

Problems? Only one. A tooth broke of the hub starter gear. This was spotted during a routine service.

As for prices, ask Triumph. Contact details are there.

Dealer I dealt with are good. No problems so far.

You forgot to mention the Tiger's aversion to potholes :D Seriously though folks, the way Travelmate flogs his Tiger, if he can't break it, no one can :)

Well from testing out a HD here is my 2 cents.

1. The new FI models run extremely cheap on fuel, Rayong - Khon Kaen on my 1200 is 700 baht on 535 km exactly not going slow

2. They have split oil and engine oil so you can run very cheap car oils in them

3. The touring tires last a very long time and is cheap to buy

4. The rubber band is actually maintenance free, no expensive Motul for a chain

5. To maintain it is so easy anyone who ever looked at an engine can do it

6. The rear brakes are probably the only ones on any bike I really felt been awesome for the purpose

7. Let go of the handlebars in any speed for as long as you want she tracks true and dead steady

On top of this, and yes this is very subjective. When she idles under me the uneven engine idle with it's gentle shake makes you feel you sit on something alive.

I have a friend who would not be seen dead on one who told me it's probably the bike most suited for Thailand, and I believe him now.

Is it perfect, no definitely not, but it's a great bike for Thailand, plus it's very very cheap to run it. With the shortshot exhaust it will set off car alarms, but then again before I come everyone is turned towards the sound, when riding and an idiot is trying to bump me off the road, clutch revv her and they turn the other way. I feel safe on her, and I cannot stop smiling while riding. So for me it's a great bike, from the people I know who actually ride them a lot, they are reliable as it comes.

My previous experience on an ironhead made me think they were <deleted>, luckily I am openminded enough to try out everything even when I have bad memories. The Evolution engines on HD is an Evolution for HD, they are the engines everybody wanted in a HD before.

You will meet negative people (falangs) who will criticize the HD, they will give all the stories, they probably never ridden one but have all the opinions. Luckily we are in Thailand and believe me the Thai people love the HD a lot, Police and anyone you meet.

Not that I want to tell anyone what to think, just want to explain by experiencing the evo and what it really do for me who previously would not even think about sitting on one.

Cheers Bard

Well from testing out a HD here is my 2 cents.

1. The new FI models run extremely cheap on fuel, Rayong - Khon Kaen on my 1200 is 700 baht on 535 km exactly not going slow

2. They have split oil and engine oil so you can run very cheap car oils in them

3. The touring tires last a very long time and is cheap to buy

4. The rubber band is actually maintenance free, no expensive Motul for a chain

5. To maintain it is so easy anyone who ever looked at an engine can do it

6. The rear brakes are probably the only ones on any bike I really felt been awesome for the purpose

7. Let go of the handlebars in any speed for as long as you want she tracks true and dead steady

On top of this, and yes this is very subjective. When she idles under me the uneven engine idle with it's gentle shake makes you feel you sit on something alive.

I have a friend who would not be seen dead on one who told me it's probably the bike most suited for Thailand, and I believe him now.

Is it perfect, no definitely not, but it's a great bike for Thailand, plus it's very very cheap to run it. With the shortshot exhaust it will set off car alarms, but then again before I come everyone is turned towards the sound, when riding and an idiot is trying to bump me off the road, clutch revv her and they turn the other way. I feel safe on her, and I cannot stop smiling while riding. So for me it's a great bike, from the people I know who actually ride them a lot, they are reliable as it comes.

My previous experience on an ironhead made me think they were <deleted>, luckily I am openminded enough to try out everything even when I have bad memories. The Evolution engines on HD is an Evolution for HD, they are the engines everybody wanted in a HD before.

You will meet negative people (falangs) who will criticize the HD, they will give all the stories, they probably never ridden one but have all the opinions. Luckily we are in Thailand and believe me the Thai people love the HD a lot, Police and anyone you meet.

Not that I want to tell anyone what to think, just want to explain by experiencing the evo and what it really do for me who previously would not even think about sitting on one.

Cheers Bard

Thanks again for telling it as it is Bard ........... we may be meeting up for a ride soon mate

Cheers

is the twin cam an improvement do you think on the EVO Seedy ???

Cheers

Improvement - well, the Twin Cam is the newer model, most aftermarket manufacturers concentrate on this model. EVO is a great engine - had them myself. Some think that the cam drive system on the TC is a cause for concern - if you think so there are various suppliers that can supply a gear driven upgrade. Also, the crank bearing was changed from a tapered roller bearing - this can also be changed back if it ever becomes an issue.

Better - I don't think so. But I have found that support is always better for the newer models.

The first TC had the bad bearing, just get the TC B model, i think the TC is better, i have had a few of each, a bit quicker i think, i was thinking about the gear drive, but have heard enough to modify my TC with the chain drive, and no problem so far, it’s now 1600CC big bore kit new heads double 45mm Mikuni, Andrews cams, well i did the whole lot and it’s a very strong bike and its fast as well (for a Harley)also got the legend air ride, adjustable that is, a lot of PM parts, just how i like it,,, and now i want to sell it. Just crazy isn’t it...

The first TC had the bad bearing, just get the TC B model, i think the TC is better, i have had a few of each, a bit quicker i think, i was thinking about the gear drive, but have heard enough to modify my TC with the chain drive, and no problem so far, it's now 1600CC big bore kit new heads double 45mm Mikuni, Andrews cams, well i did the whole lot and it's a very strong bike and its fast as well (for a Harley)also got the legend air ride, adjustable that is, a lot of PM parts, just how i like it,,, and now i want to sell it. Just crazy isn't it...

show us a few pics of the bike your selling

What SE Asia countries do you plan to visit? Getting "big bikes" into some countries can be near impossible...

Realistically, you should buy a bike from a company that has the biggest presence in the region.

It doesn't matter if bike X is 3% more reliable, but when it fails you have to wait 2 months for a part or pay Air shipping from Europe/US. Much better to buy something with regional presence and support and immediate fix available. Secondly, like most of us you are probably not a super-expert-rider and most paper spec differences will mean little to you once you're on the road assuming you get a Western quality bike. These bike reviews just nitpick on mostly little things that don't make substantial real-life differences.

Find 3 brands with biggest regional presence, and test ride their top bikes to see which one you feel most comfortable on. That will be the right bike for you.

Here you have it

very nice HD , anymore pics ???

HI

Not really, dont really want to show off, its build for me you know and its not going in public before i want to sell it, if i can get myself to do it, not fun to know you gonna lose a lot of the money you put into your bike.

• 4 weeks later...
Here you have it

HI

Not really, dont really want to show off, its build for me you know and its not going in public before i want to sell it, if i can get myself to do it, not fun to know you gonna lose a lot of the money you put into your bike.

Hey All , ok the decision has been made and today i will secure a 2003 Ultra Classic Anniv Model , very nice bike and i am wrapped look forward to seeing some of you on the road , thanks for all the feedback it helped a lot cheers

CdM

post-90261-1274229068_thumb.jpg

Here you have it

HI

Hey All , ok the decision has been made and today i will secure a 2003 Ultra Classic Anniv Model , very nice bike and i am wrapped look forward to seeing some of you on the road , thanks for all the feedback it helped a lot cheers

CdM

Congrats CdM, are you ready for the Samui ride in a few weeks?

Congrats CDM, awesome looking bike! Went earlier today to see our mutual friend (missed you, he said you just left) and saw the bike basking in the sun, freshly washed and polished - it looks like million bucks!

Hi

Looks great, bought from Sumon?? hope you will be happy with it.

Hi HD , no from Marn , very happy, still got the smile on my face ... sadly Sumon missed out contacted him and his staff twice , spoke to him promised photos info etc etc never came , but to be honest would have been hard to beat this beast anyway , got a good deal ...

Cheers CdM

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Hi HD , no from Marn , very happy, still got the smile on my face ... sadly Sumon missed out contacted him and his staff twice , spoke to him promised photos info etc etc never came , but to be honest would have been hard to beat this beast anyway , got a good deal ...

Cheers CdM

Hi

There is some kind of Harley weekend from 8-11 in Ao Nang.

With the keen interest expressed by HOG International and the Harley Motor company,

the wheels were put into motion in early 2008 it have a SEA HOG rally jointly organized by 5 HOG Chapter

from the South East Asia Region, Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand"

Wording From Choo kai man, President HOG Malaysia

SEA HOG Rally Schedule in Karbi Thailand

Day 1, Tuesday 8 June 2010 : Arrive to Aonang Villa Hotel, Aonang Beach Karbi

Day 2, Wednesday 9 June 2010 : Ride around and City Tour

Day 3, Thursday 10 June 2010 : Boat Trip ( Island Hopping )

Day 4, Friday 11 June 2010 : Bikers Games, cherity day and Grand dinner

For Harley local register start from 5,000 Baht ( include lunches & Diners & gift )

Please contact Khun Somsak 081 8415360 and Khun Sumon 081 6919346

Hope to here from u soon and best regards,

Sumon

www.ridethailand.com

www.phuketbikeweek.com

Hi

Cheers CdM

Hi

There is some kind of Harley weekend from 8-11 in Ao Nang.

With the keen interest expressed by HOG International and the Harley Motor company,

the wheels were put into motion in early 2008 it have a SEA HOG rally jointly organized by 5 HOG Chapter

from the South East Asia Region, Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand"

Wording From Choo kai man, President HOG Malaysia

SEA HOG Rally Schedule in Karbi Thailand

Day 1, Tuesday 8 June 2010 : Arrive to Aonang Villa Hotel, Aonang Beach Karbi

Day 2, Wednesday 9 June 2010 : Ride around and City Tour

Day 3, Thursday 10 June 2010 : Boat Trip ( Island Hopping )

Day 4, Friday 11 June 2010 : Bikers Games, cherity day and Grand dinner

For Harley local register start from 5,000 Baht ( include lunches & Diners & gift )

Please contact Khun Somsak 081 8415360 and Khun Sumon 081 6919346

Hope to here from u soon and best regards,

Sumon

www.ridethailand.com

www.phuketbikeweek.com

Hey HD,

The Krabi thing is part of the very big event organized by Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand HOG's. It's called SOUTH EAST ASIA HOG RALLY 2010 and entir event is 7 days (June 4th to June 11th).

hog_2010.gif

It involves riding almost 3500 km, through 3 countries: Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand.

Ride commences in Kuala Lumpur, down to Singapore, back to Kuala Lumpur again, then to Hatyai and Krabi. Non-Thailand based participants return to Kuala Lumpur on June 11th.

seahogrally.jpg

You can see updated list of all Thailand upcoming biker events HERE .

CdM

Congrats on the new ride!

Wow, that sucker is HUGE!

You've chosen full on touring and not sport-touring. You'd mentioned something about off road early on- hope you won't stray from the pavement with this tank!

Enjoy your new bike- I'm sure she'll turn a lot of heads!

Happy Trails!

Tony

Honda sells a Pan European bike which wins praise. And ducati came out with a clever software defined 1200 cc which you can program to behave the way you like it. Never underestimate

ergonomics. You got to sit on it, compare some bikes.

How tall and how heavy are you, if I may ask personal questions? I had frequent and rather inconvenient cramps on a NTV 650 twin (too low) and cannot reach the ground on an Africa Twin. The cramps often forced me to stand up at higher speeds... And a Ducati Monster will cause soreness of the buttocks after only 300 km.

I loved the ergonomics on a naked BMW R 100 R but hated the thirsty WW II bing carbs slurping the juice through 40 mm throats. If you like to economize, check out the R 1200 R versus the Adventure GS model. Such heavy and expensive bikes, I wouldn't ride them on rough terrain :)

Which bike have you chosen?

Chris

post-7704-1275478781_thumb.jpg

CdM

Congrats on the new ride!

Wow, that sucker is HUGE!

You've chosen full on touring and not sport-touring. You'd mentioned something about off road early on- hope you won't stray from the pavement with this tank!

Enjoy your new bike- I'm sure she'll turn a lot of heads!

Happy Trails!

Tony

thanks Tony , yes the full tourer as that is my plan and it has heaps of storage to go away from longer periods .... it is a big sucker but surprised me how easy it is to handle , the major difficulty is pulling up say on a rise but no real problem ... heaps of grunt and very very comfy , took a ride to Krabi last weekend tiron out any problems before Samui next week ....

thanks and see you on the road .

CdM