Buying Ultra Portable Laptop

Ossies

OK, going to make my purchase within next couple of weeks (Asus UL30a).

Can do this in BKK or UK. The laptop I am buying has a 2 year global warranty so no problems there.

Any reason to buy in either BKK or UK rather than the other?

The only thing I can think of is that if buy in BKK the keybaord will have both English and Thai (I will not use) characters on the keys. Is this any hinderence?

The other thing is if buy here the blurb says it will have 'Dos Operating System'. What is that in technophobe terms? The one in UK will have Windows 7 Home premium as standard which I could buy seperately here (B4,900 - does that sound right?) and it will still work out slightly cheaper. If I buy here should I upgrade to this Windows 7 Home Premium from DOS (whatever it may be)?

Thanks for your help/advice in advance

Ps. Tempted to buy here in case I ever learn how to type in Thai :) Also slightly cheaper here even if buy Windows as extra and they also throw in bag/mouse/external drive which will not get in UK.

DOS = Disk Operating System

Microsoft O/S Pre-Windows

You would want to buy a computer with Windows installed.. also Thai price sounds a little cheap to me for Win 7, but I'm not up on current prices.

For my baht.. If you can buy it in England, even for a few baht more, buy it there!! More likely not to get any copy software, and if it Screws Up, the service in England will also be better than here!

For a Thai Keyboard, you can always just buy a set of Thai/English Stickers for the keys.. available at any IT mall.

CS

I've had my EEE PC, Asus now for a year and a half. Has proven to be a champ for mobility. Nothing like throwing it in to a backpack for the day, not even realizing it is there until i need it.

Does a great job running almost all programs, the only thing so far I have found it can't do is edit HD video (from my flip). Handles all my music sequencing software though, which is great when I am out and want to do some composing. Graphics touchup is fine. Also great for working on my websites.

Also, this is the com that stays downstairs on the kitchen table, for anyone who needs to look something up.

I brought the UL80v - comes with WIN 7 home Premium (as it is 64bit dual core), 9 hours battery life, wifi, and all the tools. Runs dual boot to linux perfect (which is what I use mostly) a bit more pricy at THB 19-21,000 depending on where you buy it but well worth it.

The discussion was about buying a laptop in UK or Thailand, not about buying an overpriced yuppie gadget.

agreed.. mac fanboys can be so annoying. If it was about selecting one ok you can opt for an overpriced mac, but now the choice has already been made.

Personally i would buy it in the UK