Bkk Malls, Mbk, Pratunam Open?

tommybkk

Hello there,

I am here in Bangkok today 15th of April 2010 and I would like to know if the shopping malls are open TODAY.

A local person in Kao San rd told me that MBK and Pratunam malls are closed due to the political situation.

Is this true or are they open? Because I really need to go shopping and will be returning to europe tomorrow. Thanks for the FAST REPLY...

Would advise avoiding the area altogether at the moment in a climate where snipers are shooting anyone regardless of their shirt colour or political ideology.

Some places to consider for alternative shopping areas are:

1. RACHADA area. Fortune Town is good for computers and accessories and there's also a cinema, restaurants, bowling alley and an ice-skating rink at The Esplanade nearby. Also, a branch of Robinson's close at hand.

2. JATUJAK area. Good for the weekend market and Central Ladprao is 5-10 mins from Morchit BTS by bus or taxi. They have a closing down sale until 23 April, so you might find some bargains there.

3. SUKHUMWIT area. I don't know the area so well, but apart from the junk aimed at tourists, there's a Robinson (still open I presume) and Emporium attached to nearby BTS stations.

Siam Square is convenient if you are staying in that area, but apart from MBK and nearby Pratunam (Pantip, Platinum, etc.) the prices don't really justify the trip and certainly not worth the bother at the moment.

I saw a pic on the Nation webpage today (many of you might have also seen it) showing a sea of red outisde Gaysorn. This particular pic was telling as it was apparently taken from the Rajdamri end and showed the red crowd extending well past Gaysorn, past the foot over bridge and probably all the way to BigC. So I assume even BigC is shut ? Which would mean Platinum too shut ?

I managed to get to Paragon last Monday, entered via the BTS station. The street had strong scent of bleach, didn't take much to figure out what they had to wash away.

MBK has been open most of the time since the hordes moved downtown, but I can't say what time they close.

Something about their presence down there reminds me of a certain scene from "2001: A Space Odyssey."

If the Ratchaprasong crowd is switching between 35,000 (Wednesday evening) and 5,000 (Thursday morning) as reported by Nation on today's TV song sheet - the Thai Reds Rally Live thread, then I would guess the open or shut status of all those stores (including the slightly more remote MBK, Pratunam, Platinum and Phantip) is going to be a bit of a moving feast.

Someone asked for a map of closed streets. Again flexible but likely to include, taking the Ratchaprasong junction as its centre (which is the junction of Ploenchit/Ratchadamri/Rama I) North up to Petchaburi, East to Witthayu, South to Sarasin and West to Payyathai. But its capable of swelling wider than that - for instance Reds had taken over the junction of Sukhumvit and Nana on Saturday afternoon.